Internet Addiction

Edited Date/Time 1/15/2012 7:21am
bringing this up in this forum is like talking about alcoholism in a package store.

Internet addiction...is it real?

Does it cause problems? You know, like other forms of addiction, affecting job performance and/or family life.

|
2/3/2010 7:27am
The difference between a drinker and an alcoholic is an alcoholic continues to drink even when it has extreme negative impacts on his life. I imagine the same would hold true for the Internet.

I remember an article back in the late 90s about a woman who spent up to 8 hours a day online. The jist of it was how shocking it was- she talked about all these people she chatted with and social networking etc. Now I imagine between work and home, 8 hours online is pretty much accepted as normal.

This article is interesting. Most teenagers are tethered to an electronic device for every waking moment now:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/20/education/20wired.html

Larry
2/3/2010 7:31am
bringing this up in this forum is like talking about alcoholism in a package store. Internet addiction...is it real? Does it cause problems? You know, like...
bringing this up in this forum is like talking about alcoholism in a package store.

Internet addiction...is it real?

Does it cause problems? You know, like other forms of addiction, affecting job performance and/or family life.

I am sure that a lot of employers are paying for a lot of unproductive time. Of course those interweb slackers would still be slackers without the net.
2/3/2010 7:37am
I wonder how many marriages have been ruined by the internet. I know cheaters will cheat one way or another but it seems like the internet has made it easier.

Post a reply to: Internet Addiction

The Latest