Input needed on side-by-sides

mxtech1
In the market for a new side by side to take the family on some trips to the bigger OHV parks in the country. We would really like to start exploring the trail systems in Colorado as well as Tennessee/West Virginia areas.

I have never owned a side-by-side before (always bikes) so feel a little overwhelemed with all the different makes & models.

Needs to be a 4 seater, do not want a turbo engine. Most likely 4WD, but could be convinced 2WD is sufficient if 4WD is rarely used on "family-friendly" type terrain.

I really have my eye on the Honda Talon 1000X-4, but seeking some advice on ownership from anyone that has other brands or a Talon.

Is the Fox LiveValve setup worth the extra coin?

Which brand has the best creature comforts in the cockpit (nice radio/speakers, phone charger ports, storage space, etc) to make longer trips more enjoyable?

New vs used? New prices are significant and similar to a car payment!! Sad Seems to be hard to find a good used unit in my area that hasn't been used for mudding/river riding, etc. Occasionally a nice clean unit will pop up, but the asking prices are high enough I would almost rather spend the extra couple thousand and buy new at that point.

|
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
11/30/2020 4:01pm Edited Date/Time 11/30/2020 4:12pm
You cant go wrong on the Honda or even Yamaha for quality, you do need 4WD and I doubt anyone would try to tell you otherwise. Polaris RZRs are cool and all but they are still a Polaris but they have a huge following so I will get flamed on that but you know I what I am talking about when it comes to Honda and Yamaha quality being a step above. Spend some money on a quality trailer also and this is crazy but you can get a nice Jeep too that will do everything and that will have A/C and heat also. Colorado has all of the jeep roads and trails you will never run out of things to see.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
11/30/2020 4:16pm
lostboy819 wrote:
You cant go wrong on the Honda or even Yamaha for quality, you do need 4WD and I doubt anyone would try to tell you otherwise...
You cant go wrong on the Honda or even Yamaha for quality, you do need 4WD and I doubt anyone would try to tell you otherwise. Polaris RZRs are cool and all but they are still a Polaris but they have a huge following so I will get flamed on that but you know I what I am talking about when it comes to Honda and Yamaha quality being a step above. Spend some money on a quality trailer also and this is crazy but you can get a nice Jeep too that will do everything and that will have A/C and heat also. Colorado has all of the jeep roads and trails you will never run out of things to see.
I'm not ever going to bash a company that works and provides jobs in the motorsports space. That said, I am also never buying any kind of Polaris, either. Whistling

Hondas and Yamahas have gear-drive transmissions instead of belts, so that's a plus. I understand the Can-Ams are pretty bulletproof, also.
SEE ARE125
11/30/2020 4:40pm
Recreation: Honda Pioneer 1000-5
Sport: Honda Talon
Creature Comforts: CanAm Commander Limited

If I was buying it would probably be the Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe, that seems the best fit for me. No CVT trans, hauls 5 people yet still keeps the short wheelbase, rear seats fold down for when the kids aren’t with us, dump bed for work around the house, and Honda’s are bulletproof. Your needs may differ.

Like lostboy said, you can get a nice Jeep, not need the trailer and drive it whenever. The SxS filled a niche in the beginning. It was somewhere between a quad and a Jeep, which allowed you to go on smaller trails than a Jeep and they only cost like $10-$12k. Most don’t fill that niche anymore, they’re just as big as Jeep and just as expensive.
ns503
11/30/2020 4:45pm
Teryxs are really popular around here.

The Shop

11/30/2020 5:35pm
2021 - Polaris General - Yamaha RMax - the Talon is nice too but may be too wide for some trails. Really comes down to dealership and seating position/feel and what looks best.

Except for some Kawi mules they all have some type of four wheel drive should you need it.

Find what you want then check out some custom builds.
11/30/2020 7:35pm
I bought a Pioneer 700 last year, I wanted to be under 60 inches wide. It works great for me, the wife, and two German Shepherds. If width is not a concern of yours, look at the Honda Pioneer 1000, or a 4 seat Talon. The Honda’s do not have a belt, which I think is an advantage. Kawasaki and Yamaha also make great machines. I would stay away from Polaris.
reded
11/30/2020 9:03pm
I’ve been in this game for 7yrs now and would steer clear of Polaris also. I currently own a Honda Pioneer 1000-5 and it’s a great little car but I think Yamaha has the new sport/Ute winner with the RMAX 1000. The attention to detail along with a 10yr warranty on the belt will be hard to beat when it comes time for me to upgrade.
agn5009
12/1/2020 12:19pm
I’ve been checking out the Kawi Teryx and the Can Am Commander. I’ll probably be buying something this spring. The only thing I don’t like about the Honda Pioneer 1000 is its sooo wide. I don’t think it’s gonna fit in my toy hauler with the way the roll cage bars are.

I see people asking more for used machines than new. They think if they throw doors, windshield and a roof on all of a sudden these things are worth more. I would rather spend around $15,000 on a new Teryx and purchase the aftermarket stuff for another $1500 then pay $16,000 for a used machine with stuff already on it. I really hope people aren’t paying these inflated prices for used machines just because a lot of dealers don’t have new ones right now.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
12/1/2020 1:14pm
^That's exactly why they are paying more for used: there isn't enough supply.
bh84
Fantasy
1761st
12/1/2020 2:51pm
I sell Can-Am and Kawasaki Side by Sides, and have drivn Yamaha, Polaris and Honda

IMO, The Teryx4 LE is the hands down best bang for buck side by side on the market when it comes to 4 seaters. Its nearly 2 feet shorter than the Maverick Sport Max(Non-Turbo 4 seater) So its much more maneuverable. Its got way more leg room too. The drawbacks are the power, its slower than the Can-Am and Polaris, and the mid engine design makes for a noisy cab. Kawi also has a 3 year factory warranty which is really nice to have

The Maverick Sport Max has great power and suspension but its a BUS(so are most 4 seat side by sides)

The Wolverine X4 is supposed to be pretty good, better power than the Kawi but the back seats suck.

Polaris works good performance wise, fit and finish leaves much to be desired.

Honda is fine as long as you don't buy anything with that god awful DCT. I wouldnt drive a Pioneer 1000 across the road after testing one.

DONT buy a Can-Am Commander of any kind. They are outdated, noisy as hell and the clutching absolutely sucks, super jerky.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1398th
12/1/2020 8:47pm
There is reason Polaris owns around 70% of the total SxS market. While their reliability is arguably lower than their competitors, they far exceed their competitors in features, performance and fit and finish of accessories.
ns503
12/2/2020 4:10am
It would come down to the local dealer situation playing a big part.

For me, the order I would consider them, is Honda Pioneer, then Kawi Teryx close second. Bigger gap to Can-Am. Yami would likely be in there if I had a dealer closer (closest is an hour+ away).
reded
12/2/2020 4:41am Edited Date/Time 12/2/2020 5:37am
tcannon521 wrote:
There is reason Polaris owns around 70% of the total SxS market. While their reliability is arguably lower than their competitors, they far exceed their competitors...
There is reason Polaris owns around 70% of the total SxS market. While their reliability is arguably lower than their competitors, they far exceed their competitors in features, performance and fit and finish of accessories.
They own 70% because their marketing team made the names Ranger and RZR synonymous with SXS and UTV. A good fitting, overpriced windshield does me jack shit when it’s broke down 10mi from anywhere.
bh84
Fantasy
1761st
12/2/2020 6:08am Edited Date/Time 12/2/2020 6:16am
tcannon521 wrote:
There is reason Polaris owns around 70% of the total SxS market. While their reliability is arguably lower than their competitors, they far exceed their competitors...
Can-Am is pretty easily neck and deck with Polaris performance wise. And Polaris definitely aren't at the top for fit and finish, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Honda are far ahead in that aspect
mxtech1
12/2/2020 6:53am
Thanks all for the responses. You have made several good points about machines and machine ownership that were not yet on my radar.

I’m not going the Jeep right....they just aren’t my thing.

In terms of dealership support, that shouldn’t be a big issue. I have all brands available in my area within reasonable driving distance and I have enough experience to know most of the dealers are pretty reasonable to work with.

I was not considering something like the Honda Pioneer as I was initially drawn to the “pure sport” machines. I still want a high performance machine for when I take it out without the family. How does the Honda Pioneer accelerate? Is it noticeably softer when compared to the pure sport machines?

Why is everyone afraid of CVT belt drives? Are there lots of issues with belts breaking, slipping, or wear or is it more of an issue where it’s seen as inferior technology to the gear drive machines?

I would really like to know more about the different levels of shock packages? How does the Fox live valve work in comparison to just the standard Fox podium shocks?
Team Ideal
12/2/2020 6:55am Edited Date/Time 12/2/2020 7:02am
if you're just going to be sport riding you're making the right choice. If you expect to use it around the house or farm at all you need to look at the Pioneer. The only drawback to the Pioneer is the rear seating isn't the greatest for adults. I personally have the Pioneer and I would recommend the LE model and then upgrade to Elka Stage 3 or 4 shocks. We have a blast in ours but I also needed a bed to haul stuff around the house/farm. If I could buy a sport only it would be the Talon.

I've owned the Viking and have close friends that had a Teryx. We both have the Pioneer now and neither of us regret it.

None of them come with a radio. I would look at sound bars and just bluetooth from your phone. JBL4100 is a great choice and Swamp Donkey makes some nice units. Be ready to spend a little $$ though. They all come with a little storage and cigarette plug-ins for charging. A lot of people but in extra switch plates for extra lights and such and most of them come with USB ports.

4WD is a must. You will use 2WD 95% of the time but when you need it you need it.

edit after your post.

the Pioneer has very good acceleration. it won't out run the sport machines but it's no slouch either. I broke down and put a Hess tune in mine and it wakes it up a bit more. The biggest complaint I had with mine was the under seat heat. A good auto noise damping/reflective mat will cure a lot of it. A bilge fan blowing air out really takes most of it away.

I don't know anyone with the newer Fox on the fly shocks. The Elka are night and day better than the stockers and better than the Fox that come on the Pioneer Deluxe though.

12/2/2020 7:22am
I wouldn’t say people are afraid of belt drives. They work well and offer adjustability (with a kit) - just don’t get them wet.
reded
12/2/2020 7:36am
My issue with belts is that the engine has to be revving for the car to sustain motion. A geared transmission can be placed in the highest gear and cruise at 30mph with little engine noise. Another bonus that comes with less engine noise is the ability to hear the stereo without it being cranked to the max, especially when you start adding roofs and windshields which causes even more engine noise to be trapped in the cab.
12/2/2020 9:53am
reded wrote:
My issue with belts is that the engine has to be revving for the car to sustain motion. A geared transmission can be placed in the...
My issue with belts is that the engine has to be revving for the car to sustain motion. A geared transmission can be placed in the highest gear and cruise at 30mph with little engine noise. Another bonus that comes with less engine noise is the ability to hear the stereo without it being cranked to the max, especially when you start adding roofs and windshields which causes even more engine noise to be trapped in the cab.
True, my buddy’s rzr xp1000 is annoyingly loud especially at low speeds.
SEE ARE125
12/2/2020 9:58am
reded wrote:
My issue with belts is that the engine has to be revving for the car to sustain motion. A geared transmission can be placed in the...
Same here. I had a Yamaha Rhino 700 back when the only options were that, the basic RZR 800(not even the 800S) or a Kawasaki Mule. Yamaha had just updated it from the 660 and added EFI. Anyway, going down the trails you literally had to yell at the person sitting next to you or completely let off the throttle before talking. Added a radio and it got even worse. Granted, I was never really “cruising.” I was usually on the gas climbing rocky, rooted hills, drifting around corners on the fire roads, and basically acting like I was in a rally car. lol That’s why if I were in the market now, the Hondas would be near the top of my list. I would still consider a belt drive, because I had no problem with my belt. The Teryx, and especially the RMAX Limited both look nice. The noise is one of those things where you don’t notice it... until you notice it. And then it never goes away. lol
Daniel816
12/7/2020 4:54am
I just bought a 2020 Polaris Ranger Crew 1000 this spring. I was hesitant to buy a Polaris but the deal was pretty good and the wide let me get all the bells and whistles so I got the Northstar Ultimate. Heat/A/C, full cab, stereo the works. Now it has come with its fair share of Polaris clutch issues. I ended up doing the Gilomen Innovations clutch kit and it made it a whole new machine. I’ve lifted it, 30 inch tires and a few other things for looks. It hauled 4 of us around hunting in Idaho no problem and had plenty of room for the gear!

I rented a Honda Pioneer a few years ago and had 2 major complaints, after 45 miles and being 5’11” I was over riding in that thing and could never really get comfortable. My other complain with the Pioneer we used is to make it a four seater it puts the second row of seats in the bed so you lose all your cargo space.

With a Ranger Crew i can put my kids’ car seats in the second row, everyone has ample room and we still have the bed (plus my cargo rack) for a cooler, spare tire, small set of tools, shovel, handyman, and room for more. I’ve got 1700 miles on mine since may and absolutely love it!
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
12/7/2020 4:26pm
tcannon521 wrote:
bh84 wrote:
Can-Am is pretty easily neck and deck with Polaris performance wise. And Polaris definitely aren't at the top for fit and finish, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Honda...
Can-Am is pretty easily neck and deck with Polaris performance wise. And Polaris definitely aren't at the top for fit and finish, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Honda are far ahead in that aspect
Awww, you're being nice...

I was thinking that the reason is there's about a 70/30 ratio of suckers to educated buyers in the SxS market. Laughing

J/K. Mostly. Polaris does have some great-looking units. Great financing, good deals, and a strong dealer network make for a good market share. Kudos to them.
Utrider
Fantasy
1521st
12/9/2020 12:54pm
Before I purchased mine, I rented a brand new Polaris XP4 1000 and the Can Am Sport Max 1000r. I didn't want or need a turbo either. My desire was for a good trail machine that could do pretty much anything, didn't need a farm implement or need to haul hay anywhere. I rented both of them in the St George, Utah area so a good diverse use Sand Hollow, Toquerville Falls, Warner Valley the Arizona Strip

The Polaris was delivered with 0 miles, literally brand spankin new. It was fun and ran well, the suspension was great. It rattled, squeaked and kind of sounded like it was falling apart. The seats were pretty uncomfortable after about 40 miles or so.

The Can Am had 800 miles on it when we started, it ran well and the suspension was great also. It did NOT rattle, squeak or sound like it was falling apart, we rode in it for about 45 miles before our first stop and didn't have any discomfort whatsoever. We bought a Can Am Maverick Sport Max 1000R DPS.

I have over 3k miles on is since April. We have done San Rafael Swell, Moab and the St George area and the thing is incredible. The only place I feel like I am giving anything up is in the sand dunes. I don't ride in the dunes that often so no big deal to me, but on gnarly technical rock strewn climbs......this thing is a freakin Billy Goat! It is way more competent than I have confidence. I come up to a rock wall 8ft tall about 70 degree angle and just grunt up over it.

If you can go rent for a day and check a few out, they are a pretty expensive item to just plunk 20k down on to find out you wanted something else. I check the used stuff out to see what people are replacing, Polaris was clutches, seats and a few complete engines. The Can Am's were just adding stuff on not replacing things.

Good luck, and I know tldr, but putting over 3k miles on mine in 8 mos I know what I have and while I have added things (bigger tires, street legal, roof, windshield) all I have done is routine maintenance and after a 1000 miles changed the belt, and carry the original belt as a spare.

lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
12/9/2020 1:13pm Edited Date/Time 12/9/2020 1:16pm
After selling and servicing all the different brands over the years the biggest drawback I have found with everything Polaris is they decide to just quit making parts for them or they have a problem with a model and never really fix it and you are just left hanging. Stators on ATVs etc. Polaris motorcycles, bought one ? too bad.

I have owned several Polaris snowmobiles also and they do stupid things like the glued jack shafts and then they abandoned their watercraft customers all together and stopped making and selling their watercraft parts so if you paid good money on a watercraft you are shit outta luck, and then add poor fit and finish on most everything they make.

The Polaris Rzrs run very well and have great performance but down the road you will be SOL on parts and fit and finish is the normal Polaris and compared to other brands its not on the same level. The positive is they are less money when you buy and they run great...................... when they run. Blush
reded
12/9/2020 5:05pm
In my experience, Polaris likes to let the customers do their R&D out in the real world. When the customers find the weak link, they redesign and move on, leaving those with the weak links to fend for themselves. I can’t get behind that sort of business logic.
ktm300xcw2018
Fantasy
462nd
12/9/2020 5:07pm
I have a 2019 Polaris RZR XP4 1000. I financed and bought the extended warranty with the machine. I have used it a little bit, overall the machine has been great. But, glad that iI bought the extended warranty. 1050 miles and 55 or so hours. Tight, muddy, rocky east coast riding. I have/use an awesome local dealer that works with me. I can say that I would not buy any of these machines without the extended warranty. They take a real beating and generally take it. Pretty cool vehicles. Definitely nice with the whole family/friends and gear.
Holigan
12/10/2020 10:50am
I just traded in my Honda Pioneer for two ATVs. The fit, finish and reliability were great. The problem was that it is really loud, a lot louder than friends' SxS from other OEMs. And if I was wearing flip flops, my throttle foot would feel like it was on fire. Really hot. I normally love all Honda products I have owned over the years (XR's CRs, CRFs, generator, Acura), but not this one.

Post a reply to: Input needed on side-by-sides

The Latest