If you could change 1 thing in MotoGp

moto162
4/10/2022 1:17pm Edited Date/Time 5/22/2022 8:56am
I love motogp. Going to Laguna twice was amazing. But like F1 I can't stand building million dollar cars and bike and then cutting off their balls with a control tire. I miss the tire wars. If I could, I'd bring back the tire wars but make it mandatory any special tires must be available to Ll riders and teams or face a 100k fine. To team and tire manufacturer or loss of constructor points and a team fine. I honestly think that is the only thing I would change.

Maybe for F1 something to help the midfield back field teams just a touch. Maybe a few more revs or
|
early
Fantasy
2139th
4/11/2022 7:02am
Gotta disagree with the tire wars. Since they standardized the tires and electronics the racing has improve so much.

For selfish reasons I would bring back the Indy round on the same weekend as the AFT mile race and lower the dang price of the streaming package.
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
4/11/2022 11:05am Edited Date/Time 4/11/2022 9:39pm
The field is as close as it has ever been , the tyre wars created bigger gaps ,

I would get rid of the aero winglets as the bikes look Fucken ugly with them , and also all the Extra levers for shape shifters etc

The Shop

moto162
4/11/2022 1:04pm
early wrote:
Gotta disagree with the tire wars. Since they standardized the tires and electronics the racing has improve so much. For selfish reasons I would bring back...
Gotta disagree with the tire wars. Since they standardized the tires and electronics the racing has improve so much.

For selfish reasons I would bring back the Indy round on the same weekend as the AFT mile race and lower the dang price of the streaming package.
I don't agree that the spec tire really helped in the grand scheme it seemed like a easy change. At that point there was lots of talk about spec tires and ecu's. The factories especially Honda and yamaha fought the spec ecu. That was huge part of their magic in the works bikes. So I feel like they took the path of least resistance get that going then revisited the ecu later.

I 110% agree that the move away from bespoke ecu's to a spec ecu was great. I think that accounts for 90% of what were seeing the last 6-7 years. Ducati was the real winner there as they took the concessions over a works ecu even though they haven't grabbed a title yet. But it's hard to beat the talent of MM, Rossi, Lorenzo, Pedrosa and Dovi in those early ecu days. Still think if JL would have stayed at Ducati he might have gotten 1 more WC.

I think from a mechanical tech/evolution perspective, tires and ecu aside, these bikes are so close that even a gp19 or A spec M1 is no longer just an also ran. I can't ever remember when a year or 3 old prototype was competitive with the factory or satellite works bikes. It's my thinking that with the spec ecu and back to a well regulated tire war this could be even closer. As well as safer. Look at Honda a few weeks back they changed the tire construction and every Honda suffered drastically. We have seen that and heard riders complain about that since season 1. Tires suit some bike better then others every year. If they made a rule that every tire used must be available to every rider who is using that brand. No overnight specials I really and truly belive that would with the spec ecu make the bikes safer as they have tires that will always allow the bike and ecu to provide the best possible set up and save some of these phantom lowsides and highsides.

Now with cars they have 4 wheels and a much larger contact patch as well as you can't nt really high or low side a car. Plus the whole roll cage/chassis. They have way more margin for error.
moto162
4/11/2022 1:14pm
scott_nz wrote:
The field is as close as it has ever been , the tyre wars created bigger gaps , I would get rid of the aero winglets...
The field is as close as it has ever been , the tyre wars created bigger gaps ,

I would get rid of the aero winglets as the bikes look Fucken ugly with them , and also all the Extra levers for shape shifters etc
Agreed I think they did the right thing with the front end lowering devices. I'm ok with the rear and wings because I can see and after riding a R1 with a crude set of them(wings) I can see a safety aspect. I could go with or without there.

I would also say the sport as far as talent has never been better and that has to be taken into account for this close racing. That and no longer having magic ecu's is a huge game changer. As with all sports or really most everything in life the next generation is always better then the last. Kids see the evolution of the techniques. They learn and copy them young and make them better. Look at the scrub. You see kids on 65'sand 85's throwing scrubs that pros from 2005-2015 to shame. Every truly fast kid can scrub like Bubba now.

moto162
4/11/2022 1:16pm
More jumps
I caught some air on a R6 I had 1 time. Fuck that noise. I didn't feel out of control or anything but at that speed nope that mistake was a one and done.
Watch some TT if you wanna see that.
early
Fantasy
2139th
4/11/2022 1:56pm
I can see your angle on the tire issue. I just am not convinced that road doesn't end with the factories getting the "good" tires for their premier teams and the satellite or smaller factories becoming also-rans like they used to be, for the most part.
Yeti831
4/11/2022 2:40pm Edited Date/Time 4/11/2022 4:32pm
Honestly… back to 1000cc and/or 2strokes.
early
Fantasy
2139th
4/11/2022 2:43pm
They are 1000cc's, 2 strokes were 500s
Yeti831
4/11/2022 4:31pm
early wrote:
They are 1000cc's, 2 strokes were 500s
Are the current gen bikes 800cc?

Anyway, still the smokers back in the mix.
early
Fantasy
2139th
4/11/2022 4:59pm
They went back to 1000cc back in 2012. 1000cc max, 4 cylinder max, 81mm bore max.
moto162
4/11/2022 5:18pm
early wrote:
I can see your angle on the tire issue. I just am not convinced that road doesn't end with the factories getting the "good" tires for...
I can see your angle on the tire issue. I just am not convinced that road doesn't end with the factories getting the "good" tires for their premier teams and the satellite or smaller factories becoming also-rans like they used to be, for the most part.
I can see that as well. Eventually the factorys get a better tire snuck over to them. Maybe theres no difference in tires but a factory teams get the best of that tire. Which i sometimes feels happens now.

There would have to be strict rules and penalties for the tire company, team and rider. Something big enough to keep them from even thinking about it. Maybe have a tire inspector for tech.

But let's be honest it comes down to money. FIM's making money off it just like the FIA.
moto162
4/11/2022 5:20pm
Wish they would have left it to a 5 cylinder Max's those
Rcv V5's were sick.
BMSOBx2
4/11/2022 6:11pm
This question has been asked for many years. Rossi was asked all the time what he would do and his answer was always the same get rid of traction control and electronic aids. No throttle-by-wire no race start engine mapping just hand to throttle to engine. The winglets must go also. They're ugly.
Bearuno
4/11/2022 6:22pm
1000cc 2 Strokes, in among the 1000çc 4 strokes

Nah, we can't have equivalency...........Whistling

As for the "more jumps", as another poster suggested, watch the IOMTT.

The IOMTT has a free streaming service this year. So as of now (I'm sure it will end up monietized ) we'll get free viewing of one of, if not The Greatest Motorcycle Racing events on Earth.
JPT
4/11/2022 7:20pm
BMSOBx2 wrote:
This question has been asked for many years. Rossi was asked all the time what he would do and his answer was always the same get...
This question has been asked for many years. Rossi was asked all the time what he would do and his answer was always the same get rid of traction control and electronic aids. No throttle-by-wire no race start engine mapping just hand to throttle to engine. The winglets must go also. They're ugly.
Remember when little dani got into Marquez and clipped his control wire coming into the turn. When Marc tried to get on the throttle coming out, it launched him.
TeamGreen
4/11/2022 8:38pm
Production Based Engines and Electronics
JPT
4/11/2022 9:09pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Production Based Engines and Electronics
Wouldn't that be WSBK?
moto162
5/17/2022 12:05pm Edited Date/Time 5/17/2022 12:09pm
The tires are as always one of the biggest complaints from riders. Tires that work with one bike better then another. Then they change the compound after a test where Honda did great then the bike became un-ridable.

This front tire overheating has been a problem for a few years now and getting worse every year.
I think opening up spec tires to every manufacturer with a claiming rule and a strict no overnight special everyone is allowed to use anytire no one team, bike tires will help tailor the bikes to riders styles, bike styles and help fix issues like this faster.

https://www.crash.net/motogp/feature/1002832/1/marc-marquez-motogp-has-…
philG
5/18/2022 4:47am
90% of the past greats were great because they had a better bike with better tyres than everyone else.

They only had to be better than their team mate, who in some instances, wasnt allowed the same rubber.

Change nothing, its great.
5/22/2022 7:49am
BMSOBx2 wrote:
This question has been asked for many years. Rossi was asked all the time what he would do and his answer was always the same get...
JPT wrote:
Remember when little dani got into Marquez and clipped his control wire coming into the turn. When Marc tried to get on the throttle coming out...
Remember when little dani got into Marquez and clipped his control wire coming into the turn. When Marc tried to get on the throttle coming out, it launched him.
It was Dani that went to the moon.
moto162
5/22/2022 8:50am
BMSOBx2 wrote:
JPT wrote:
Remember when little dani got into Marquez and clipped his control wire coming into the turn. When Marc tried to get on the throttle coming out...
It was Dani that went to the moon.
That was a bad one to. To the moon feels like a understatement.
moto162
5/22/2022 8:56am
philG wrote:
90% of the past greats were great because they had a better bike with better tyres than everyone else. They only had to be better than...
90% of the past greats were great because they had a better bike with better tyres than everyone else.

They only had to be better than their team mate, who in some instances, wasnt allowed the same rubber.

Change nothing, its great.
100 true but with the control ecu giving everyone a even foot and no bespoke hardware that the privateers or teams can keep from anyone but their #1 rider. As well as bikes all being very close in overall packages wouldn't it make sense from a safety aspect make sure their getting the best tires they can for each bike and rider. Spend a million building a tailored prototype bike then throw rubbers on that don't hold up.

Motogp has evolved so much that tires have to be looked at again. I actually belive it would bring the sport to the next step as well as be a huge safety factor.

Post a reply to: If you could change 1 thing in MotoGp

The Latest