Icemaker on the fritz!

G-man
Edited Date/Time 1/24/2012 3:29pm
Ok not a big deal to some, but for me it is. I live in HELL otherwise known as AZ this time of yr. It's gonna be 110 this Sunday!

I have a Whirlpool side by side fridge and I had noticed some of the cubes (just a few) had a brownish tint to them.

When I got back from my vacation I noticed no ice in the Icemaker bin. I could see that there was some in the loader that has the small fingers on it that dumps it in the bin.

So I went and got a new filter, but before I installed it I disconnected the water line hose from the fridge to make sure the water flow was good which it was. (before I did this I checked the water dispenser IN THE FRIDGE and it flowed fine).

Then I removed the Icemaker and ran hot water in it to remove the jammed cubes. Reinstalled and also put in the new filter. I then ran about a gallon of water thru the fridge to remove sediment from the filter.

Crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. About a half hr later opened up the freezer and much to my dismay water was dripping from the Icemaker!

So I raised the Icemaker bar and put a catch tray to catch the remaining water dripping.

It seems I'm back to square 1 now as there are cubes frozen in the maker but they will not drop into the tray. ugh!

Anyone experience this before, is the motor bad in the Icemaker, should I just roll the dice and oreder a new icemaker for $120!

thx
|
chipnice
6/4/2010 10:27am
SteveS wrote:
[img]http://www.drillspot.com/pimages/1544/154435_300.jpg[/img]
THATS FUNNY
G-man
6/4/2010 11:10am
I knew I came to the right place for help, thanks guys! lol Woohoo

The Shop

BMSOB
6/4/2010 11:45am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:19pm
check yer brand/type, had a problem similar to this, water was freezing before it got to the cube maker. if it is an older unit it may pay to purchase a new internal unit off ebay, i spent maybe 40-50 bucks for a roper or something like that but it was the exact same as the kenmore unit that they wanted over a 100 bucks for.

i believe this is what i purchased before gary.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...&hash=item519335962f bobbym

the water freezing wasn't the issue it turns out btw.
Robert
6/4/2010 12:27pm
You have the fridge plugged in right?
Crash82
Fantasy
2036th
6/4/2010 12:36pm
You should protest the ice maker!
G-man
6/4/2010 12:45pm
Yep it's official I have a new STALKER in John Birch and it's obvious he had a previous user name. When you gonna let us know who you were pussy lips? lol
G-man
6/4/2010 12:46pm
BMSOB wrote:
check yer brand/type, had a problem similar to this, water was freezing before it got to the cube maker. if it is an older unit it...
check yer brand/type, had a problem similar to this, water was freezing before it got to the cube maker. if it is an older unit it may pay to purchase a new internal unit off ebay, i spent maybe 40-50 bucks for a roper or something like that but it was the exact same as the kenmore unit that they wanted over a 100 bucks for.

i believe this is what i purchased before gary.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...&hash=item519335962f bobbym

the water freezing wasn't the issue it turns out btw.
Thanks for the info Bobby I will order one today.
moto814
6/4/2010 12:48pm
Are you sure the icemaker is running the right class? Maybe it should drop down a class and try again?

-Steve
G-man
6/4/2010 12:52pm
moto814 wrote:
Are you sure the icemaker is running the right class? Maybe it should drop down a class and try again?

-Steve
Well if I was you I would be running the FATBOY too scared to ride class....Woohoo
kaw rider9
6/4/2010 1:16pm
Keep your drinks in the fridge and you wont need ice!!! DUH!

Glad I could help!
Camp332
6/4/2010 1:16pm
moto814 wrote:

-Steve
HIGH FIVE!!!
6/4/2010 1:21pm
We also have a Whirlpool side by side, fridge i got a new filter for it once, there only good for 6 months, and at 40$ a piece imo pricey so i go with out it, when we first got it and even now, it makes alot of noise making ice and dumping it, so i had a service guy come out, cost 75$ he unhooked the line and performed a test on it, and said its working fine.

So i would just get a new ice maker, and install it
kaw rider9
6/4/2010 1:27pm
Sorry for the hi-jack, but I have a side by side also... The fridge quit working but the freezer is fine! The ice maker works too.

It's fairly new, any suggestions?
BMSOB
6/4/2010 2:13pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:19pm
easy boys, there can be only one bobbym and in this thread there's dozens piling on gman! Smile
Robert
6/4/2010 2:39pm
kaw rider9 wrote:
Sorry for the hi-jack, but I have a side by side also... The fridge quit working but the freezer is fine! The ice maker works too...
Sorry for the hi-jack, but I have a side by side also... The fridge quit working but the freezer is fine! The ice maker works too.

Cut a hole in the middle
kaw rider9
6/4/2010 2:42pm
kaw rider9 wrote:
Sorry for the hi-jack, but I have a side by side also... The fridge quit working but the freezer is fine! The ice maker works too...

Robert wrote:
Cut a hole in the middle
Now I feel like a dumb ass!!! Why didn't I think of that?

You're Robert, you're the champ!!
BMSOB
6/4/2010 2:51pm
kaw rider9 wrote:

Robert wrote:
Cut a hole in the middle
that's impossible
kaw rider9
6/4/2010 3:22pm
kaw rider9 wrote:

Robert wrote:
Cut a hole in the middle
BMSOB wrote:
that's impossible
Yer an idiot! We're both Roberts', we can do anything!!!
txmxer
6/4/2010 9:59pm
Ebay. I had a dead ice maker. Grabbed one from ebay, no problems since.
JPT
6/5/2010 3:29pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:20pm
Walked into the kitchen one morning to about an inch of water on the floor. Icemaker had gone out but kept running water all night. It seeped into the living room, ruined the carpet and actually warped some boards in the floor. New flooring in two rooms, but luckily it was before we had finished off the basement and there was water down there.

Icemakers are great, but they do have some draw backs.
RocketLab
6/6/2010 5:54am Edited Date/Time 6/6/2010 5:59am
G-man wrote:
Ok not a big deal to some, but for me it is. I live in HELL otherwise known as AZ this time of yr. It's gonna...
Ok not a big deal to some, but for me it is. I live in HELL otherwise known as AZ this time of yr. It's gonna be 110 this Sunday!

I have a Whirlpool side by side fridge and I had noticed some of the cubes (just a few) had a brownish tint to them.

When I got back from my vacation I noticed no ice in the Icemaker bin. I could see that there was some in the loader that has the small fingers on it that dumps it in the bin.

So I went and got a new filter, but before I installed it I disconnected the water line hose from the fridge to make sure the water flow was good which it was. (before I did this I checked the water dispenser IN THE FRIDGE and it flowed fine).

Then I removed the Icemaker and ran hot water in it to remove the jammed cubes. Reinstalled and also put in the new filter. I then ran about a gallon of water thru the fridge to remove sediment from the filter.

Crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. About a half hr later opened up the freezer and much to my dismay water was dripping from the Icemaker!

So I raised the Icemaker bar and put a catch tray to catch the remaining water dripping.

It seems I'm back to square 1 now as there are cubes frozen in the maker but they will not drop into the tray. ugh!

Anyone experience this before, is the motor bad in the Icemaker, should I just roll the dice and oreder a new icemaker for $120!

thx
there is a valve that controls the water flow. find a diagram of your make and model fridge online and see if replacing the valve is possible. mine would flow drinking water but not to the icemaker.

Post a reply to: Icemaker on the fritz!

The Latest