IT Certifications

IWreckALot
8/2/2017 8:56am
For example, I didn't understand the binary conversion to ip addresses and how subnet masks and sub netting worked. This guy broke all of that down with a couple of simple visuals and it makes crystal clear sense to me.
8/2/2017 9:02am
This. Do this. I am working on Salesforce1 Adm201 Certification and I was apprehensive about doing the same thing, but I sent an email asking to...
This. Do this.
I am working on Salesforce1 Adm201 Certification and I was apprehensive about doing the same thing, but I sent an email asking to meet with our Operations VP, she was super amazing and immediately put time on her calendar to meet with me and point in the right direction. She even gave me some projects to work on that will help me get a more practical learning experience.

What do you think about the Udemy courses though are they legit? I was sketched out because the one I wanted to buy was $350 but there was a flash-sale for $25 and I thought it may be a scam.
IWreckALot wrote:
i thought the same about the way they price. Seemed kinda gimmicky. I had found several forums with people highly suggesting the guy I found on...
i thought the same about the way they price. Seemed kinda gimmicky. I had found several forums with people highly suggesting the guy I found on udemy. I kinda went into it as "what can $10 hurt". I took a networking course in college and didn't learn a tenth of what I've learned in the udemy course and I'm only a third of the way currently and he explains everything in a way that is easy to understand and retain.
Well damn, I went back and the course I want is already back upto $85, now that I know they are actually worth something I am hopping on that $25 dollar discount. I guess I will just have to check back every day.
jtiger12
8/3/2017 1:33pm Edited Date/Time 8/3/2017 4:05pm
I'll share my experience. Working on year 18 in the IT field. I'm a developer now, but I have done a little bit of everything except for large scale networking and comms. Best speciality right now would be in cloud. Its really the only solid growth area, working for SaaS companies with a great niche like microservices would be a second. Think salesforce, servicenow, mulesoft, etc. Contrary to what some have said, you can be the best goddam sa or engineer in the world and not be able to land a job in a specific sector without a cert. Example: DoD cyber or signals intelligence. To get a cnd or iasae job you must have specific certification and a clearance. That's a quick ticket to about 135-150k around my area if you are willing to travel a little bit and work for a new company every 2-3 years. Even developers are being required to carry a 8570.1 certification now and it will be 100% required in the next 2-3 years I am sure. There are alot of other sectors where it won't lock you out, so in those areas certs are either a door opener or mostly resume material. My advice, stay out of corporate IT (especially software development) in the private sector unless you are working for a startup (60+ hour weeks, always getting calls on weekends) or for a domestic business that is somehow required to maintain domestic workers either by geography, security, or compliance. In the 2.5 years I chased the money, I watched ~150 people loose their jobs due to outsourcing. With cloud, comes the ability to move to the IT service management model which big companies are either already doing or moving towards. If they do stay in house, they setup offshore development and support centers and only keep domestic folks to manage projects. Most big companies do not want to write software or build systems. They want to buy software and systems a la carte.

I erased the rest of my negativity.

The Shop

Post a reply to: IT Certifications

The Latest