I never thought I'd be the recipient of a...

Stephon
Edited Date/Time 6/6/2016 12:38pm
...suicide note.

Yeah. Upon receiving it, I'd hope that the sender's email had been hacked.

I was wrong.

At this point I'm not sure what to say...other than you never know what a person is going through at a given moment. I try to default to being nice to anyone I encounter, if possible, sometimes a smile or any act of kindness can go way further than you might realize.
|
6/3/2016 10:40pm Edited Date/Time 6/3/2016 10:44pm
What. That's not good. Not sure how to respond to these things. Sad

Just try not to let it get too deep. People are unique creatures. Maybe talk to a psychiatrist if your too disturbed about it or its weighing real heavy.

Hardest part about suicide is the burden it puts on everyone around you.
Stephon
6/4/2016 5:48am
What. That's not good. Not sure how to respond to these things. :( Just try not to let it get too deep. People are unique creatures...

Just try not to let it get too deep. People are unique creatures. Maybe talk to a psychiatrist if your too disturbed about it or its weighing real heavy.

I'm okay. I just feel really bad for the people closer to the situation that have to live with the aftermath. I'm baffled that he included me in the group email. I hadn't spoken to or seen him in years, maybe Spring 2006. I think I'm pretty perceptive and can get a good general read on many people and situations, but I'm also smart enough to know that I don't know what's REALLY going on inside another persons head. It will take me a few weeks to finish reading, viewing and/or listening to all that he sent, but I can say that from the outside I saw NOTHING that revealed the turmoil that was his reality.

Thanks.
71Fish
6/4/2016 6:39am
Do you know if he went through with it or got help?

The Shop

newmann
6/4/2016 3:55pm
71Fish wrote:
Considering he used the term "aftermath" I'm guessing the answer is yes.
6/4/2016 4:09pm
I've been baffled by suicide. One of my friends that we used to hang out with committed when we were all 18. He just got a new job. Was having a baby. He seemed happy. And he just did it. No note, nothing. It's human nature to wonder why....my two friends and I still bring it up every once in a while. Still don't understand it. Feel for his baby girl and girlfriend to this day and it's been 11 years.

Sorry you're going througg this, my other two friends and I talked about it a lot and it helped us but that not be the best thing for other people. Regardless, sorry you're going through this, sorry for the family as well.
jeffro503
6/4/2016 4:11pm Edited Date/Time 6/4/2016 4:12pm
What. That's not good. Not sure how to respond to these things. :( Just try not to let it get too deep. People are unique creatures...

Stephon wrote:
I'm okay. I just feel really bad for the people closer to the situation that have to live with the aftermath. I'm baffled that he included...
I'm okay. I just feel really bad for the people closer to the situation that have to live with the aftermath. I'm baffled that he included me in the group email. I hadn't spoken to or seen him in years, maybe Spring 2006. I think I'm pretty perceptive and can get a good general read on many people and situations, but I'm also smart enough to know that I don't know what's REALLY going on inside another persons head. It will take me a few weeks to finish reading, viewing and/or listening to all that he sent, but I can say that from the outside I saw NOTHING that revealed the turmoil that was his reality.

Thanks.
Damn Stephon , that is a tough blow indeed. Keep your chin up man , it doesn't sound like there was not much , if anything you could have done. Not even the people closet to him could have stopped it , otherwise they would have. Feel for you brother.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
6/4/2016 4:49pm
Dont need to know details, I hope all that involved can heal from this. Hang on man!
Stephon
6/4/2016 4:53pm
71Fish wrote:
Yes, unfortunately he went through with it and didn't go alone. What he sent me in a group email is a nearly 600 page manifesto detailing his version of what lead him to this result. I don't know any of the others in the group email...at least I don't think I do. Honestly, I didn't pay too much attention to the email for hours because it seemed like one of those messages that say someone has been kidnapped or whatever in a foreign country.

But it also said in the first paragraph that, "If you are receiving this email it means that I am dead".
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
6/4/2016 5:35pm Edited Date/Time 6/4/2016 5:36pm
I've been baffled by suicide. One of my friends that we used to hang out with committed when we were all 18. He just got a...
I've been baffled by suicide. One of my friends that we used to hang out with committed when we were all 18. He just got a new job. Was having a baby. He seemed happy. And he just did it. No note, nothing. It's human nature to wonder why....my two friends and I still bring it up every once in a while. Still don't understand it. Feel for his baby girl and girlfriend to this day and it's been 11 years.

Sorry you're going througg this, my other two friends and I talked about it a lot and it helped us but that not be the best thing for other people. Regardless, sorry you're going through this, sorry for the family as well.
Thinking Its a chemical imbalance in the brain...depression and such..human nature is to survive at any cost, not end your life.

My wife has worked as an RN on a mental health floor for ten years..as she says the frightening part is that anyone at anytime can have a "breakdown".

She sees all the time- completely "normal/stable" people have sudden mental breakdowns..and end up needing corrective medication for the rest of their life.

6/4/2016 5:51pm Edited Date/Time 6/4/2016 5:53pm
600 pages....literally?

There's such a shortage of mental health clinicians these days. I thought about going into psych. I wish there was a better way to get help in these situations. I think he average mental health appointment is 6 months out. Tell that to someone in crises.....sad really.
Stephon
6/4/2016 9:33pm
600 pages....literally? There's such a shortage of mental health clinicians these days. I thought about going into psych. I wish there was a better way to...
600 pages....literally?

There's such a shortage of mental health clinicians these days. I thought about going into psych. I wish there was a better way to get help in these situations. I think he average mental health appointment is 6 months out. Tell that to someone in crises.....sad really.
Yes, literally 585 pages, including photos, text messages, emails, court records, audio & video recordings, bank records, etc.

His main problem is/was that professionals that had a duty to help him and/or report abuse, chose not to. He also was a child actor and accuses his parents of using all of his earnings for themselves. In more recent years he was a photojournalist so his version of events are extremely clear from his point of view. He writes that he spent 5 months assembling the manifesto. If even 20% of it is accurate it's quite alarming...and sad for all involved.
newmann
6/5/2016 6:51am
You said he didn't go alone and was a victim of abuse as a child actor. Did he kill his "abusers" or parents? The system is obviously flawed...
Stephon
6/5/2016 8:21am
newmann wrote:
You said he didn't go alone and was a victim of abuse as a child actor. Did he kill his "abusers" or parents? The system is...
You said he didn't go alone and was a victim of abuse as a child actor. Did he kill his "abusers" or parents? The system is obviously flawed...
Yes, he took his, according to him, "main abusers", his parents, with him. The detail in which he describes his experiences with "the system" is crazy. He calls out individuals by name and even has recorded conversations, emails, etc to support his POV.

newmann
6/5/2016 8:38am
Did he call out any of the higher ups in the film industry as the Cory Haim/ Cory Feldman incidents hinted to? Seems the statute of limitations prevent/prevented them from naming names. Would be nice for those vultures to be named for future actors coming up. Hopefully some good awareness will come out of this mess.
Stephon
6/5/2016 8:08pm Edited Date/Time 6/5/2016 8:32pm
newmann wrote:
Did he call out any of the higher ups in the film industry as the Cory Haim/ Cory Feldman incidents hinted to? Seems the statute of...
Did he call out any of the higher ups in the film industry as the Cory Haim/ Cory Feldman incidents hinted to? Seems the statute of limitations prevent/prevented them from naming names. Would be nice for those vultures to be named for future actors coming up. Hopefully some good awareness will come out of this mess.
He didn't speak too much about the film industry in that particular aspect of sexual abuse. He was very adamant that his parents used his money that he earned as a child actor from age 5-12 for themselves to buy real estate. He said he repeatedly demanded an accounting the earnings, even in recent years and was refused. He'd turned 36 in April.

He spoke of the changing of the statute of limitations, but not so much in relation the film industry. I'm only on page 84 of 585 of the manifesto.

I hadn't spoken to him in 10 years, we emailed probably 5 years ago, but I have to say, in my limited dealings with him he was a great guy. Gently, humble, personable, did for others...and to think his life would end in a murder-suicide...I just shake my head.
6/5/2016 8:18pm
Is there any news article about this? This is a very heavy story. It sound shitty, but I'm intrigued.
6/5/2016 8:26pm
Did this take place in Las Vegas?
Stephon
6/5/2016 8:30pm
Is there any news article about this? This is a very heavy story. It sound shitty, but I'm intrigued.
Extremely heavy. As I read the manifesto and feel as though he's still here talking to me, even though we hadn't spoken in a decade.

you can search: Las Vegas murder suicide manifesto actor
Stephon
6/5/2016 8:31pm
1911 wrote:
Yes, that one.
APLMAN99
6/5/2016 8:46pm
71Fish wrote:
Stephon wrote:
Yes, unfortunately he went through with it and didn't go alone. What he sent me in a group email is a nearly 600 page manifesto detailing...
Yes, unfortunately he went through with it and didn't go alone. What he sent me in a group email is a nearly 600 page manifesto detailing his version of what lead him to this result. I don't know any of the others in the group email...at least I don't think I do. Honestly, I didn't pay too much attention to the email for hours because it seemed like one of those messages that say someone has been kidnapped or whatever in a foreign country.

But it also said in the first paragraph that, "If you are receiving this email it means that I am dead".
Oh man, I feel for ya. Sorry to hear about this.
6/5/2016 8:53pm
1911 wrote:
Stephon wrote:
Yes, that one.
Sorry about your friend, reading what you posted brings a side to the story not reported by the news. Thank you.
6/5/2016 9:01pm
Print that manifesto before someone makes it disappear if you think this guy wasn't mentally ill.
Stephon
6/5/2016 9:37pm
1911 wrote:
Stephon wrote:
Yes, that one.
1911 wrote:
Sorry about your friend, reading what you posted brings a side to the story not reported by the news. Thank you.
The amount of information and supporting information is absolutely mind blowing. I listened to a phone call with his therapist from the 90's that was taped this past February when he called the therapist about going to the police again about his parents.

Yeah, some of how he says things sounds a little sensational, but it's his side and perspective.

Stephon
6/5/2016 9:43pm Edited Date/Time 6/5/2016 9:46pm
This is part of what was sent to the press and other outlets.

May 31st, 2016
Dear Jan and Art,
If you are reading this letter now, congrats, it means that I am dead. You found
my body, which looks like a suicide, but in reality, you both murdered me
systematically, and daily, for over 35 years. This is the end result of what that
looks like. And no one, after reading this letter, will doubt for a second that I was
murdered by you.

See, you've wanted me dead since I was a child, right? Why else would two
parents violently torture and physically abuse their precious, adorable little boy
hundreds and hundreds of times unless they wanted him dead?
Well, pull up a chair, and pour yourself a drink. This is going to be a very LONG
letter. I’ve waited 35 full years to be able to tell it. It’s going to unveil the worst
nightmare in history — and a level of hell, torture, violence, and abuse so
extreme, it will cause trauma to anyone who reads it. (And sadly, this story is all
true -- and it all happened to me.)

In the 1980’s, I was so adorable and loving that Fortune 500 companies lined up
to place me in their print, TV, and radio commercials and ads as a child actor in
Chicago. McDonald's, Wendy's, Colgate, Kellogg’s, Bayer, General Mills, and
more. I was so successful, from the ages of 5-12, that I made the equivalency of
$250,000 in today's money. And then you both stole it all.

But that wasn’t even the bad part. Jan, you would hold me down, and Art would
violently beat me 10, 20, sometimes 30+ times with his belts and wire hangers
often until I bled. You always avoided my pretty face though; that's what made
you money. And Art, you would always punch and beat me in places where the
bruises weren't visible, like in my stomach, even as a little boy, as hard as you
could.
Then two days later, you would do it all over again -- on top of the fresh injuries.
I never had a chance to heal; my body, even as a five-year-old, was destroyed
at your hands. Why would you ever do this to a child -- let alone one as adorable
and sweet as me? I never got an answer to that before I died.
6/5/2016 11:03pm
That is definitely mind blowing Stephon. Just googled "Las Vegas murder suicide manifesto actor" and read the first thing that came up. It seems the police are already blowing it off like he was for sure nuts. Maybe he was but if he wrote 600 pages of what lead to this out come then he deserves this being looked into. One way or another this is unreal. Any idea how his fiancé died?
Mr. G
6/6/2016 12:00am Edited Date/Time 6/6/2016 1:07am
People sometimes go through hell when they are young. It's can be tough to overcome but the thing a person should not do is go to a psychiatrist. I have asked many of they have ever cured anyone and the answer is always no. What's worse is the drugs they prescribe according to the manufacturer can cause homicide/ suicide. They tell us this. It's too bad what happened with this guy. Hopefully his family can move on with relatively normal lives. It may take a while.
Stephon
6/6/2016 4:33am Edited Date/Time 6/6/2016 4:36am
Stephon wrote:
...suicide note. Yeah. Upon receiving it, I'd hope that the sender's email had been hacked. I was wrong. At this point I'm not sure what to...
...suicide note.

Yeah. Upon receiving it, I'd hope that the sender's email had been hacked.

I was wrong.

At this point I'm not sure what to say...other than you never know what a person is going through at a given moment. I try to default to being nice to anyone I encounter, if possible, sometimes a smile or any act of kindness can go way further than you might realize.
Obviously what he dealt with growing up had a huge effect on him, but in my experience with him these photos that are from his travels, and included in the manifesto, are who I knew.

His fiancé died from cancer. I don't know more of the details of that situation as I've haven't gotten that point in the writings yet.

Stephon
6/6/2016 4:57am
Mr. G wrote:
People sometimes go through hell when they are young. It's can be tough to overcome but the thing a person should not do is go to...
People sometimes go through hell when they are young. It's can be tough to overcome but the thing a person should not do is go to a psychiatrist. I have asked many of they have ever cured anyone and the answer is always no. What's worse is the drugs they prescribe according to the manufacturer can cause homicide/ suicide. They tell us this. It's too bad what happened with this guy. Hopefully his family can move on with relatively normal lives. It may take a while.
I don't know if he was ever on any medication. He does point out that he always stayed away from the party life, drugs, alcohol and just bad situations. I'm assuming he means recreational drugs...but I still have 500 pages to read.

Family move on? Good luck with that. He has almost NOTHING good to say about his sister and 3 brothers (1 adopted). He lets on about how he feels about them with no filter.

He has photos of significant bruising on his buttocks that were taken by an aunt and uncle back in '91. The email is included and shows that they were sent them to him on March 1st 2016. I'm not sure if that Aunt/Uncle is from the mother or fathers side of the family.
whyZ
6/6/2016 8:46am
May he rest in peace. On another note, I thought the Coogan Law was established just for this type of thing. To protect child actors from the earnings being plundered by their parents, car givers or employer?

Post a reply to: I never thought I'd be the recipient of a...

The Latest