I must be getting old thinking about a Pontoon boat

G-man
Edited Date/Time 6/19/2018 11:29am
Summer is here in AZ and that means Lake time while we love the jet skis we really miss taking the dog out to the lake as she loves the water.

So the solution would be a pontoon boat for the barbecue, shade, the whole nine yards.
Checked some of the new ones out at Bass Pro and holy moly Sticker Shock! Woohoo

Might have to get used although buying used watercraft can be a sketchy situation.

Anyone have a pontoon boat?

|
MR. X
6/11/2018 2:27pm
We rented a pontoon boat a couple years ago in the thousand islands . My wifes little brother was 15 at the time and had his boater safety course , we had a day long booze cruise with a sober driver all day , it was a really good time on the water . My father in law is talking about getting one to have day trips with the family on the water.
newmann
6/11/2018 3:47pm
Had a customer in here today showing me a picture of a pontoon boat that came to rest on the roof of a neighbors house during the flood last year. Crazy stuff.Laughing

As long as you have the time to actually enjoy it, go for it!
TXDirt
6/11/2018 3:48pm Edited Date/Time 6/11/2018 3:49pm
Love Pontoon boats. Easy and relaxing. I believe the budget boats are the Sun Tracker brand. Prices are pretty reasonable all things considered. 10k-30k depending on the model.

For some reason I like this one. Seats 7. They call it a bass buggy.

https://www.suntrackerboats.com/boat/index.cfm?boat=3956

The Shop

whyZ
6/11/2018 4:15pm
I remember talking to you about that G- Thought you'd pulled the trigger by now. I think I told you I got one, but just a flipper. Off of craigslist, 28ft Sun Tracker, typical 115 working evenrude (sp?), clapped out trailer Some pontoon damage, no registration for the boat or trailer....$1500.00. Took 6 months to get it all legal, tore down and the refinished the trailer, and now on to the boat. Probably looking at another 6 months to get it all finished.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
6/11/2018 5:06pm
I’ve never owned one. Have had many wakeboard boats over the years and have had the most fun on a friends pkd thrashed pontoon boat. Who needs a $70K Mastercraft when the real fun is floating around with the BBQ and a bunch of friends/family. If you have the funds you should go for it....they r a great time
Branham96
6/11/2018 6:48pm
I inherited a 97 playbuoy marquis 24' when my step dad passed away last year. I just got around to getting it ready for the water this year. Its got a 75hp suzuki on it, maybe hits 27 at max. Waiting on a new bimini top and some other goods to come in this week.Im more of a speedboat guy so I may unload it at the end of the year if it doesnt win me over.
Ebs
6/11/2018 6:58pm Edited Date/Time 6/11/2018 7:02pm
A pontoon might be the conversion van of the water, but that party barge can also hold the most bikinis per sq/ft.
TXDirt
6/11/2018 7:02pm
Branham96 wrote:
I inherited a 97 playbuoy marquis 24' when my step dad passed away last year. I just got around to getting it ready for the water...
I inherited a 97 playbuoy marquis 24' when my step dad passed away last year. I just got around to getting it ready for the water this year. Its got a 75hp suzuki on it, maybe hits 27 at max. Waiting on a new bimini top and some other goods to come in this week.Im more of a speedboat guy so I may unload it at the end of the year if it doesnt win me over.
I'm no expert here but I believe you can have a great time on water ski's and tubes if you can get up to 27mph. That's a good speed on a pontoon.

G-man
6/11/2018 9:23pm
whyZ wrote:
I remember talking to you about that G- Thought you'd pulled the trigger by now. I think I told you I got one, but just a...
I remember talking to you about that G- Thought you'd pulled the trigger by now. I think I told you I got one, but just a flipper. Off of craigslist, 28ft Sun Tracker, typical 115 working evenrude (sp?), clapped out trailer Some pontoon damage, no registration for the boat or trailer....$1500.00. Took 6 months to get it all legal, tore down and the refinished the trailer, and now on to the boat. Probably looking at another 6 months to get it all finished.
Okay thanks for the good info boys.

Bob that sounds like a lot of work just to flip a boat.
What are you going to do once it's ready for the water you going to get another one?
G-man
6/11/2018 9:26pm
TXDirt wrote:
Love Pontoon boats. Easy and relaxing. I believe the budget boats are the Sun Tracker brand. Prices are pretty reasonable all things considered. 10k-30k depending on...
Love Pontoon boats. Easy and relaxing. I believe the budget boats are the Sun Tracker brand. Prices are pretty reasonable all things considered. 10k-30k depending on the model.

For some reason I like this one. Seats 7. They call it a bass buggy.

https://www.suntrackerboats.com/boat/index.cfm?boat=3956

Yep Suntracker are the ones I was looking at they have those at Bass Pro.

What I did not realize until I talk to the salesman is that boat has plastic gas cans for the tanks on the outside.

The next model up has an internal 30 gallon tank and some other nice features. Seems like a no-brainer to me but I'm really trying to hold off on buying new with the extra cost.
G-man
6/11/2018 9:36pm Edited Date/Time 6/11/2018 9:43pm
KennyT wrote:
I’ve never owned one. Have had many wakeboard boats over the years and have had the most fun on a friends pkd thrashed pontoon boat. Who...
I’ve never owned one. Have had many wakeboard boats over the years and have had the most fun on a friends pkd thrashed pontoon boat. Who needs a $70K Mastercraft when the real fun is floating around with the BBQ and a bunch of friends/family. If you have the funds you should go for it....they r a great time
Hahaha I got to agree with you I joined a pontoon FB page and some of these guys get pretty crazy with all their mods.

The best description I read and thought was pretty funny the guy says "it's like I have my living room on the water!" Woohoo

So I'm also thinking of still keeping one of the skis and it just makes more sense to keep the 3 seater as it has large storage capabilities and also rides two people much smoother.

Will probably sell Little Red on a double trailer.
951cc 2-Stroke Twin Cyl Bombardier Rotax engine on the Dreamometer I get 70 mile per hour she runs like a raped ape!
huck
6/12/2018 6:07am
Don't buy that bass pro junk. The seats will fall apart, the carpet will look worn, and the ride sucks.
Buy a better brand, and you'll enjoy it a lot more. Playcraft make some nice ones, and they have a patented step system in the back. Instead of a regular ladder, they have built in steps in the pontoon, plus a ladder.

Also, 3 toons are better than 2.
6/12/2018 6:57am Edited Date/Time 6/12/2018 7:02am
My dad has one. It’s nice and all but we can sit on the dock and get the same experience.

Inboard/outboard might be more fun. Can ski, tube and relax all in one package.

You got a nice set up tho with a pontoon and 2 jet skis. That can be fun. Pontoon cars as a Little base station and can swim around it. Fun times.
6/12/2018 7:01am
Inboard outboards are fun. We had one like that for years and got rid of it for a ski nautique. A lot of fun but can’t really entertain alotnkf people in them.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
6/12/2018 7:23am
My dad has one. It’s nice and all but we can sit on the dock and get the same experience. Inboard/outboard might be more fun. Can...
My dad has one. It’s nice and all but we can sit on the dock and get the same experience.

You got a nice set up tho with a pontoon and 2 jet skis. That can be fun. Pontoon cars as a Little base station and can swim around it. Fun times.
Typically you want get get away from the docks and crowds
huck
6/12/2018 7:28am
At our marina, they have new ones with 200 and 250 outboards on them. They will run 45mph. You can tube, ski and everything behind them.
peelout
6/12/2018 8:02am
ass, cash, or grass... no ride is free.

as a boat owner the above statement rings very very true. boats are fun as hell, for everyone else.
whyZ
6/12/2018 1:29pm
whyZ wrote:
I remember talking to you about that G- Thought you'd pulled the trigger by now. I think I told you I got one, but just a...
G-man wrote:
Okay thanks for the good info boys. Bob that sounds like a lot of work just to flip a boat. What are you going to do...
Okay thanks for the good info boys.

Bob that sounds like a lot of work just to flip a boat.
What are you going to do once it's ready for the water you going to get another one?
No doubt, a lot of work at times. But having the right equipment, and a place to work on it does take a lot of the hassle out of it, along with no real time frame. The comfort factor is I knowing I could sell it at any given time and make my money back, plus some.

The main reason I bought this one, or really this size is I drew-up a stow-away PWC ramp and wanted a boat that could take the weight, and still provide room while docked on the boat. Looks great on paper, real life...we'll see. As for getting another one after this one, probably not, or at least not right away. Just not making it out to the lake as much as I use to.

Keep me informed if you land one...
G-man
6/12/2018 1:29pm
huck wrote:
Don't buy that bass pro junk. The seats will fall apart, the carpet will look worn, and the ride sucks. Buy a better brand, and you'll...
Don't buy that bass pro junk. The seats will fall apart, the carpet will look worn, and the ride sucks.
Buy a better brand, and you'll enjoy it a lot more. Playcraft make some nice ones, and they have a patented step system in the back. Instead of a regular ladder, they have built in steps in the pontoon, plus a ladder.

Also, 3 toons are better than 2.
Sounds nice and would love to be able to buy a new one but I just don't have that kind of budget.

I've heard the tri Toons are nice though.

Thanks
G-man
6/12/2018 1:33pm
My dad has one. It’s nice and all but we can sit on the dock and get the same experience. Inboard/outboard might be more fun. Can...

There is no way at least in Arizona I could enjoy and have the same experience off of dock.

You are forgetting this subject line "I must be getting old"
I'll be turning 60 in a month Dry so just relaxing, having my dawg, barbecuing having shade and camping are my priorities.

Your priorities change as you get older trust me on that..... Cool
G-man
6/12/2018 1:37pm
whyZ wrote:
No doubt, a lot of work at times. But having the right equipment, and a place to work on it does take a lot of the...
No doubt, a lot of work at times. But having the right equipment, and a place to work on it does take a lot of the hassle out of it, along with no real time frame. The comfort factor is I knowing I could sell it at any given time and make my money back, plus some.

The main reason I bought this one, or really this size is I drew-up a stow-away PWC ramp and wanted a boat that could take the weight, and still provide room while docked on the boat. Looks great on paper, real life...we'll see. As for getting another one after this one, probably not, or at least not right away. Just not making it out to the lake as much as I use to.

Keep me informed if you land one...
Yes Marko said you had it at your work.
You are lucky to have that option to be able to take your time and work on it.

I do not have the space or time for a project, matter of fact I have to be very careful that I get the right size so it will fit behind my RV gate along with my motorcycle trailer.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
6/12/2018 2:14pm
B. BREAK
O. OUT
A. ANOTHER
T. THOUSAND
Woohoo
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
6/12/2018 2:46pm
Remember the three "F's" of toys... Laughing
6/12/2018 3:11pm
peelout wrote:
ass, cash, or grass... no ride is free. as a boat owner the above statement rings very very true. boats are fun as hell, for everyone...
ass, cash, or grass... no ride is free.

as a boat owner the above statement rings very very true. boats are fun as hell, for everyone else.
If it rolls, floats, flies, or f**ks you're better off renting
Branham96
6/12/2018 6:07pm
If anybody gives a hoot i got that bimini top on mine today!! Big improvement, had to celebrate with some Coronas
MR. X
6/12/2018 6:54pm
Thats a god damn party vessel right there ! Does it have a grill off the back yet ?
G-man
6/12/2018 10:17pm
MR. X wrote:
Thats a god damn party vessel right there ! Does it have a grill off the back yet ?
X2 Holy Sheep Shit!!!! Woohoo

That's a sweet ride, you scored BIGTIME looking good!
Tracktor
6/14/2018 10:30am
I've tried getting friends to buy one as I have a wakeboat and having a "base" we could put anywhere would be epic. A pontoon with a couple of lily pads tied to it would be the beez neez. How nice would depend on where you are using? If you have to run any distances a decent engine package would be needed.

As for using one for watersports - That's like trying to ride an MX track with a Pep Boys mini bike. A pontoon isn't going to throw a wake big enough for anything, sorry. Yes, I am a bit of a wake snob but a pontoon isn't even in the realm of a wake sport boat..............I also hate jet skiers so take all that for what you will. They are the quad riders of the water.......go fast, turn, go fast, turn, try and get 2" of air off my wake near my rider, repeat...........

Post a reply to: I must be getting old thinking about a Pontoon boat

The Latest