I love the smell of new jewelry in the morning

scooter5002
Edited Date/Time 11/22/2016 9:26pm
It smells like sweat, fear, desperation, and a slight tinge of "Aw, fuck!". Kootenay Pass in southern British Columbia, (north of Washington state, for the geographically impaired) climbing to 5820 feet, on what started out as a perfect day.
Things change in heartbeat around here, or in this case, about 1/2 a mile. Road went from wet to snow covered and glazed, and the party was over. Lock up EVERY brake, make sure 70 ton isn't sliding backwards, before jumping out with shoes on. Shoes off, if it is going backwards, because I drive barefoot, and I'm not going off a 600 foot drop on an e-ticket ride.

Anyhoo, drag out the shiny, start slinging them. Doing the drivers side, in the right hand lane, and some asshole goes by at a pretty good clip as close as he can in the left lane, and blows the horn. Probably wouldn't find it so funny, if he lost control and killed me, like has happened before, to a few drivers. Plow sander combo goes by, blade up, slingers turned off. 35 minutes later, got them centered and tight, and do the last.......wait for it.......3/4 of a mile to the top, at 2 mph. Get to the summit, and there's the two Union idiots on duty, standing by the snow shed, hands in their pockets, laughing. Another day in paradise.

Every truckers dream, to break these bad boys out, and have wet snow running down the back of your neck.

The scene of the crime. Doesn't look like much, but I could barely stand up on that. Lol

The summit, ready to start the 12 mph descent.

You get this thing sliding backwards, things get ugly in a hurry. On the upside, I would've been on the right end of it. The front end. Bye Felicia.
|
MR. X
11/22/2016 4:01pm
Sounds like you love what you do . I always picture truck drivers getting into arm wrestling matches In the backroom of little restaurants ever since I saw the movie Over the Top.
Brad460
Fantasy
736th
11/22/2016 4:10pm
Drove up to Alaska in December from WI a couple times...one year on our way back we drove on snow covered roads for 1500 miles.

Here is a pic of my buddy the morning after we got stranded in Haines Junction, Yukon ...started heading out of town and up in elevation and had to turn this thing around at a small turn off after chaining up in a blizzard!

Brad460
Fantasy
736th
11/22/2016 4:14pm
Chaining up in a blizzard

scooter5002
11/22/2016 9:36pm
Lol Good times, eh Brad? Final entertainment for the day: just coming around a 35 mph curve in the road, and a Big Horn sheep jumped over the Jersey barrier right in front of me. Only thing that got his attention was the squawking rubber as I smashed the brake pedal to the floor, because he was looking the opposite way. Turned around to stare RIGHT into a pair of HID headlights on high beam, and then tore up the side of rock wall. Good thing I wasn't running 65, because I would've had a Dodge hood ornament, and been waiting on a wrecker. As a bonus, it was almost a 2 for 1 sale, because the tailgating douche behind me almost ate the back end of my trailer. The next 20 miles that car hung back quite a ways, until we got into town, then went by me like a rocket. Lol Dumbass.

The Shop

bronwynrayne
11/22/2016 10:28pm
We can agree on one thing there scooter, the snow brings all the idiots out. They think driving a jacked up four wheel drive truck makes them invincible, or they drive an all wheel drive subaru and think they have unlimited traction on glare ice.
I take it nice and slow in the winter, and learned my lesson my first year driving with the ten chips in my windshield to give trucks a wide berth. That Kootenay Pass is a bitch, never in good shape in the winter unfortunately. Feels like that whole corner of the province likes to wait till the snow stops to clear or maintain the roads.
scooter5002
11/22/2016 10:59pm Edited Date/Time 11/22/2016 11:00pm
That Kootenay certainly is neglected, but I went over Roger's on Monday, and it was mud 2 inches thick, from all the sand they put down. From halfway past Golden, to halfway to Revelstoke, laid down thicker than bullshit at a political convention. Same thing up 29 out of Chetwynd to Ft. St. John, just ran 3 rounds into Vancouver. Almost think you're running on dirt roads. Lol 100 Mile House got slammed with 4 inches of snow last Tuesday morning, and when I came down, another sea of mud. Kootenay? Highway boys act like they're paying for that sand out of their own pocket. AngryBlink
bronwynrayne
11/22/2016 11:30pm
That Kootenay certainly is neglected, but I went over Roger's on Monday, and it was mud 2 inches thick, from all the sand they put down...
That Kootenay certainly is neglected, but I went over Roger's on Monday, and it was mud 2 inches thick, from all the sand they put down. From halfway past Golden, to halfway to Revelstoke, laid down thicker than bullshit at a political convention. Same thing up 29 out of Chetwynd to Ft. St. John, just ran 3 rounds into Vancouver. Almost think you're running on dirt roads. Lol 100 Mile House got slammed with 4 inches of snow last Tuesday morning, and when I came down, another sea of mud. Kootenay? Highway boys act like they're paying for that sand out of their own pocket. AngryBlink
Mom is a truck driver, she drives snowplow up in Prince George (if you're ever headed through there and need a place to crash she loves visitors btw, lost her husband on 97 a few kilometers north of the Mackenzie Junction on the hwy two years ago). She's let me in on some of the shit the province regulates for sand and salt and what have ya and it's really heavily monitored.

I don't mind the mud. Driven the Coquihalla a couple times in crap conditions. One time I was going about 40 on my way out of Kamloops cause all I could see was ditches on either side of the highway, a foot or two of snow on the road and I was the only jackass out there in the blizzard so no tracks either.

I find they take pretty good care of the 97 in the winter though, and for that I am grateful, as that is one of my main routes when I am north of the border.

Stay safe out there.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
11/23/2016 8:11am
My dad was always in construction and plowed roads in the New England winters when normal construction shut down. O the countless funny stories of people driving like idiots or F'ing with plows and then flying off the road.
JAFO92
11/23/2016 8:31am
Drive careful in that stuff Scooter ! You guys got my respect, I just cant do that snow stuff.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
11/23/2016 9:02am
I love it when you all speak Canadian. Wink
11/23/2016 10:12am Edited Date/Time 11/23/2016 10:32am
Nice thread. Big rigs in that kinda environment...rish probably feels like 40 deep headed to the first turn at Loretta lynns. Haha.

People that scare me In the winter: anyone in a Tahoe.
11/23/2016 10:45am
JAFO92 wrote:
Drive careful in that stuff Scooter ! You guys got my respect, I just cant do that snow stuff.
Yeah you can have all of that white stuff up there.

Yaa! EH!
scooter5002
11/23/2016 12:15pm
I got through there at the right time, they're really getting it today. Dispatch sent me a pic from the Dept. of Highways camera. Weatherman knocks it out of the park, yesterday the radio said no accumulation expected soon. Lol

JAFO92
11/23/2016 12:56pm
Yeah you can have all of that white stuff up there.

Yaa! EH!
Its 72 and sunshine here. Cool
Skidaddle
11/24/2016 9:03pm
The key is to live in the west side states and BC where it gets warm and sunny though. Fresh snow with baking hot sun rays brings on gnarly sunburns. Its too cold to the east. Even Texas. Far too cold north of Dallas.
Last I was there it was a crazy ice storm and then we had to go to Amarillo and it was 20 below. We never see anything like that and we get 600-800 inches of snow in California.

It doesnt snow where its really cold. Its just too cold.

Post a reply to: I love the smell of new jewelry in the morning

The Latest