I can't drive 55!!!!

G-man
Edited Date/Time 11/24/2022 11:39pm
For those of you who were around in 1974, and old enough to drive, you should be able to remember the National Maximum Speed Limit legislation that was enacted on the Federal level in response to gas shortages and the oil crisis, that said you can't drive faster than 55 mph! Well, that didn't last long! 80 mph isn't even enforced in 2022, but this song still resonates, written by Sammy Hagar after getting a ticket in Upstate New York for going 62 mph. Don't know why it took him 10 years after that to release the record, but here it is, from 1984, that peaked at #26 on the Hot 100 into early 1985.

Classic Music Vid Cool

https://youtu.be/RvV3nn_de2k
|
JustMX
9/12/2022 4:17am
the red rocker really laid one down with that one, and the video in the early days of mtv was just awesome.

I was telling a 17 year old kid that works for me about the 55 mph speed limit the other day.

He thought I was pulling his leg.

He said what about interstates.

I explained that there was no public road in the country that you could drive faster than 55 mph.

Then I told him I would regularly drive the 420 miles from North Georgia to Gainesville Florida in less than 5 1/2 hours with a gas stop. leave home at 7 pm, get through atlanta right after rush hour, then 2 lanes of interstate each direction from south atlanta to Gainesville.

Radar detectors and cb radios were the first gps and social media.

I didn't even bother to explain to him that a couple times it was in a chevy chevette.

Not even I believe that sometimes now.

olds cool
9/12/2022 5:33am
Good times Joe! We did a lot of stuff “back then” that we can’t believe now.Cool
Titan1
9/12/2022 10:50am
I just drove I-15 from Salt Lake City to Vegas, and back, last weekend…cruise set at 90MPH both ways…one stop for gas and some food each way…just over 5 hours. (Closer to 5 and a half on the way down, for some construction south of mesquite)…

At 55 mph it would almost take twice as long…that’s nuts…

The Shop

Searights
9/12/2022 10:51am
Always been a Hagar fan! Standing Hampton is one of my favorite albums from him. Ever seen his rock ‘n roll tv show where he visits and plays with other artists? Great showWink
9/12/2022 12:12pm
Titan1 wrote:
I just drove I-15 from Salt Lake City to Vegas, and back, last weekend…cruise set at 90MPH both ways…one stop for gas and some food each...
I just drove I-15 from Salt Lake City to Vegas, and back, last weekend…cruise set at 90MPH both ways…one stop for gas and some food each way…just over 5 hours. (Closer to 5 and a half on the way down, for some construction south of mesquite)…

At 55 mph it would almost take twice as long…that’s nuts…
And a few people probably blew past you like you weren’t moving. Silly
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
9/12/2022 12:48pm
Cabo Wabo baby!
Funny thing, the best high speed averages I have are
driving my "invisible" white handa civic San Diego to Havasu average speed was 100mph. And other, was also average speed 100 San Diego to Phoenix in the 986.
Both were close to 20 years ago. To be able to stop for fuel and still hold that average, you best be moving.
TM
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
9/12/2022 12:56pm
A few years back, Friday afternoon I flew up to Mammoth (son was racing) and was going to drive home after the races with him. Flight left late, by the time we arrived the winds were too strong to land. Back to LA we went. So prior to getting off the plane, I announced I was driving up (had the wife's Pilot) and if anyone wanted a ride.
What the he'll, driving anyway and have extra seats.
One of the guys that came with is DOJ says drive as fast as you want nobody will ticket us. Wish I would have had the Porsche that day.
TM
Searights
9/12/2022 12:58pm
Oh man. You literally had a get out of jail free card😉
JustMX
9/12/2022 2:30pm
olds cool wrote:
Good times Joe! We did a lot of stuff “back then” that we can’t believe now.Cool
No doubt man.

Back in the late 80s/early 90's I worked for world's ports(gatorback, several sx and monster truck events) down in florida, and victory sports (muddy creek, mega series). In one year I drove 70k miles in my Nissan pickup and about 30k in world's ports f150 van. Tickets were a business expense.

I lived in tennessee and moved to north carolina.

Tennessee was much more lax about recognising out of state tickets.

I got a nc license and within a week tickets that I had in georgia, indiana, florida, virginia, and of course north carolina showed up and I was one point away from having a suspended license.

It was a constant challenge to get away with it.

I guess the worst place for speed traps was along hwy 58 around lake sugar tree and birch creek. It was like they designed the road just to have places to hide, plus radar detectors were illegal. You would get a separate ticket just for having one. I know because I had put mine in the glove box when I went into the state and when I got pulled over and went to get my registration it fell out. I think that cost me another $90.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
9/12/2022 2:57pm
All I know is you do NOT want to go much over the posted limit in Utah and Idaho if you have Cali plates. Laughing
str8line
9/12/2022 7:00pm
In June 2020 I made it from just north of San Diego to SLC in 8.5 hours. Miss those covid roads.
plowboy
9/13/2022 3:48am
I was stationed in England '77-'80. There basically was no speed limit on the motorway as long as you weren't a menace. Came back to the states and lost my license in less than 6 months. Me and Sammy be mates.Cool
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
9/13/2022 8:52am
str8line wrote:
In June 2020 I made it from just north of San Diego to SLC in 8.5 hours. Miss those covid roads.
I did Studio City to our place in Driggs, ID in 13 hours and thought that was an amazing feat. You sir, are an animal.
JustMX
9/13/2022 2:05pm
I am a little concerned that profesional125 has not posted in this thread, or any other for that matter in some time.

Hope everything is ok man, and eagerly awaiting your applicable stories from the road.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
9/13/2022 3:31pm
JustMX wrote:
I am a little concerned that profesional125 has not posted in this thread, or any other for that matter in some time. Hope everything is ok...
I am a little concerned that profesional125 has not posted in this thread, or any other for that matter in some time.

Hope everything is ok man, and eagerly awaiting your applicable stories from the road.
His stories might not include faster speeds, but I guarantee they'll involve loose women and maybe an escaped zoo animal or two.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
9/13/2022 6:20pm
JustMX wrote:
I am a little concerned that profesional125 has not posted in this thread, or any other for that matter in some time. Hope everything is ok...

Falcon wrote:
His stories might not include faster speeds, but I guarantee they'll involve loose women and maybe an escaped zoo animal or two.
And the Russian trucking mob, which is a very real thing. Those fuckers have their hands in a lot of that industry. If you see a shady looking truck based out of Illinois, it is probably one of theirs. Laughing
Searights
9/13/2022 7:45pm
avidchimp wrote:
And the Russian trucking mob, which is a very real thing. Those fuckers have their hands in a lot of that industry. If you see a...
And the Russian trucking mob, which is a very real thing. Those fuckers have their hands in a lot of that industry. If you see a shady looking truck based out of Illinois, it is probably one of theirs. Laughing
Didn’t know that crap. Bet that’s some scary stuff. 😬
JustMX
9/13/2022 8:30pm Edited Date/Time 9/13/2022 8:34pm
avidchimp wrote:
And the Russian trucking mob, which is a very real thing. Those fuckers have their hands in a lot of that industry. If you see a...
After the stuff he posted about them I hope is not cavorting with the caviar (the Russian version of sleeping with the fishes)

Hoping his next report includes out running a bunch of goons on a bitching cr125, including a couple one-handed wheelies while he gives them the ol' one finger ed salute...
str8line
9/13/2022 9:01pm
JustMX wrote:

Falcon wrote:

He knows all the best lot lizards.
str8line
9/13/2022 9:16pm
str8line wrote:
avidchimp wrote:
I did Studio City to our place in Driggs, ID in 13 hours and thought that was an amazing feat. You sir, are an animal.
That's pretty crazy too. Man, you're lucky to have a place in Driggs. Great skiing and moto.

Averaging over 110MPH from San Diego to Rancho Cucamunga was interesting. Hard to believe how empty the roads were. Also did a road trip from SLC to Orlando and back in April 2020 during the height of covid panic. Was in a truck for that one so normal speeds but pretty much the only traffic was truckers and there weren't many of them.
Titan1
9/14/2022 6:08am
str8line wrote:
avidchimp wrote:
str8line wrote:
That's pretty crazy too. Man, you're lucky to have a place in Driggs. Great skiing and moto. Averaging over 110MPH from San Diego to Rancho Cucamunga...
That's pretty crazy too. Man, you're lucky to have a place in Driggs. Great skiing and moto.

Averaging over 110MPH from San Diego to Rancho Cucamunga was interesting. Hard to believe how empty the roads were. Also did a road trip from SLC to Orlando and back in April 2020 during the height of covid panic. Was in a truck for that one so normal speeds but pretty much the only traffic was truckers and there weren't many of them.
So you stayed on the 15 through Riverside county rather than taking the 215 through Perris, Moreno Valley and San Bernardino?

You could have saved even more time going that way….

wildbill
9/14/2022 4:46pm
str8line wrote:
avidchimp wrote:
str8line wrote:
That's pretty crazy too. Man, you're lucky to have a place in Driggs. Great skiing and moto. Averaging over 110MPH from San Diego to Rancho Cucamunga...

What'd you do your 110 run in? I had an LT-4 Corvette that 110 felt way slow at. It was brutal at 75. 😆
plowboy
9/14/2022 5:53pm Edited Date/Time 9/14/2022 5:55pm
Lol...I drove my little Mazda 3 hatchback 2.3 out to Cali for Pala, Hangtown and back through Thundervalley (headed home and back to CO.). At the CA/NV boarder I passed a bunch of supercars being stopped by 5O on the shoulder. A couple of Ferraris, an AMG, Vette, and a Porsche. About half an hour later they passed me at a highly illegal speed. Cool.

I had the cruise set at just under 90. A little ways down the road...they are off getting gas. This repeated all the way to my turn south in Kansas. Moral...blistering speed has a price. Tickets and fuel economy. If I had to guess...I would have arrived on the east coast at the same time as them...or close.Cool
str8line
9/14/2022 8:48pm Edited Date/Time 9/14/2022 9:44pm
avidchimp wrote:
str8line wrote:

wildbill wrote:
What'd you do your 110 run in? I had an LT-4 Corvette that 110 felt way slow at. It was brutal at 75. 😆
That LT4 is a beast. Sounds like a blast. I was in a BMW X1, it runs a super low rpm at speed so it's a great little road trip car. Top speed is around 130 but 110 feels like 80. It also gets 35 mpg at about 80-90 mph so I have almost no reason to drive slow. Another thing is cops don't even glance at it because it looks like every other compact SUV.
9/22/2022 7:54am
JustMX wrote:

I was off with a few injuries 4-22 until Labor Day I left to work for another 1099 Chicago Russia mob co. I got worked ovr pretty bad by the medical system. I fought for my rights of an injured person but they pushed the fact that I hv no rights. Sneaky stuff like ordering a 3 hr occ physical assessment test. The last task was to crawl across the flour. I said common man you want to crawl? I said as a joke could I get an example of what kind of crawling. So he crawls across the flour to the wall. Haha. My max weight was 15 lbs lifting my knee etc was in throbbing . He said I,m writing on your report that you didn’t max out. I said I,m in pain and that’s all I hv today, I,m not injuring myself further. It took me 2.5 months to get a attorney. The same time to get a attorney for 29k + I,m owed by 3 Chicago 1099 co.s. I spent 10-14 hrs a day getting the wage theft stuff together. I did figure out that I could never work in an office. No attorney would touch a truck driver claim especially a Chicago trucking 1099 co.
9/22/2022 8:17am
A lot of details on this 1 . On rt34 5 mi b4 Gettysburg police was with a huge black bear that was hit by a dump trk. Delivered just north of town. Next pu is in Harrisburg the gate is locked. I walk to the warehouse and find a door that doesn’t close. I walk inside alarms r going off. I,m thinking I better get the f out of here. Dispatch says wait there 30 min I say I,m leaving b4the cops show up. Haha plus I need a parking spot. I had to pay for 1 at the flying j in Harrisburg. 2 trks hit each other at the fuel island another pulled a section of Jersey wall off and drags it 100 yards into the parking lot. Doing laundry we had a lot of laughs. 1 driver is dressed like hulk hogan complete with glasses and bandanna. He was funny as hell I was talking like macho man Randy Savage. Chics working there r from Phily . Next delivery is to Me. 2 mi from Canadian border . Slow unld at a farm.
G-man
9/22/2022 8:36am
A lot of details on this 1 . On rt34 5 mi b4 Gettysburg police was with a huge black bear that was hit by a...
A lot of details on this 1 . On rt34 5 mi b4 Gettysburg police was with a huge black bear that was hit by a dump trk. Delivered just north of town. Next pu is in Harrisburg the gate is locked. I walk to the warehouse and find a door that doesn’t close. I walk inside alarms r going off. I,m thinking I better get the f out of here. Dispatch says wait there 30 min I say I,m leaving b4the cops show up. Haha plus I need a parking spot. I had to pay for 1 at the flying j in Harrisburg. 2 trks hit each other at the fuel island another pulled a section of Jersey wall off and drags it 100 yards into the parking lot. Doing laundry we had a lot of laughs. 1 driver is dressed like hulk hogan complete with glasses and bandanna. He was funny as hell I was talking like macho man Randy Savage. Chics working there r from Phily . Next delivery is to Me. 2 mi from Canadian border . Slow unld at a farm.
Glad to see your still with us professional!Woohoo
9/22/2022 9:13am
Next pu is at a Amish farm this is where it gets real weird. I get to 162 page rd fort Fairfield Me. And there’s no way I,m pulling into the yard it just doesn’t look rt. I see another barn down the rd with more room. A Amish guy hears me and runs to the trk. I say good morning sir. He jumps up and gives me 18 instructions. He has a bit of drama saying 1 of the men is not answering his phone at the farm 2 mi away where you pu. He thinks I can turn around in 8 ft. I say I hv to blind side on this corner into the property. I hv a steer tire in the soft ditch with a drop off to a creek. Trk doesn’t want to move in reverse since it’s junk. He asked r you in a hurry ? I said yeah I got held up unldng. He says I hv my horse at the next farm follow me. He takes off running wo , I look in the mirror and busted out laughing. He looked like a crazy person. 2 little 3 yrs boys starred like I landed a spaceship on there farm . There bundled up like Eskimos it was 33 degrees. The wife gave me a long wave. Then I followed a horse and buggy to a farm. Another blindside back in but much easier. They had a narrow strip of loose gravel laid out . You can’t stop or ya spin a hole. I got the trl height to match by sliding tandems up. For sure I don’t want to bump the home made wood dock and blow it up. 3 of them flew as fast as you could getting double stacked pallets of pumpkins in bins. Super cool vibe at the farm . Another trk passed the logistics guy said he’s going to a farm 12 mi from here. He split on the horse so fast I didn’t notice him leaving. I said I grew up on a farm too 4 yrs old I did chores. They said we hv family in Greenwood Wi. I said I,ve been there I delivered a tanker of cream from Cal. There. I said I see you just shaved your sheep. He said no that’s burdocks on it. I laughed and said I never saw so many on any animal I wonder what he was thinking. Burdocks every young farm boy tried it thinking it was rubarb. He laughed. They hv a neighbor that makes the Bol document. They didn’t know much about that. I was super tired so it was on me to make sure I had the rt one. I asked how was the crop he said good. He told me we get .80 per pumpkin they mark them up 300% . We hv to put a sticker on that says 4.48. So it’s doesn’t pay much. I said sounds like milk prices for farmers . But at least you don’t hv any fuel cost if any. They don’t hv a car or a tractor. Sensory ovr ld going threw the deal but a unique experience. The weather turned into a hard storms going to Cromwell Ct. late at night I can’t find a parking spot. So I,m driving around looking for any parking. Outside of town I see a sign mattress co . I turn in figure I will park at the warehouse. I follow the narrow windy rd and it’s a water treatment plant now. The sign must hv been old. Vid is when there almost done they where moving a little slower at the end.

Post a reply to: I can't drive 55!!!!

The Latest