I am now a closet NY Jet fan...

carlosmacho
3/24/2012 12:38pm Edited Date/Time 5/5/2012 10:53am
...or am I?
It is an unconventional lifestyle choice for the typical football fan to be rooting for the player and not the team. How does that work? I'm having a cognitive dissonance week.
My loyalty to my beloved Broncos and 'bigger than life' hero John Elway has been......well.....not broken, but misaligned? Since I am not a big college football fan I never really heard much about Tebow until John Fox announced he would be starting against the Miami Dolphins last season. What little I did know about him I gleaned from the media. So of course he was a bust. An irresponsible and wasted first round draft choice from Josh McDaniels, who we all ran out of town the year before. Shows you how much the media knows.

So why do I have such a huge bromance with this "Tim Tebow' character? I mean Peyton Manning is a strong Christian and an a Super bowl winner and comes from a prolific Quarterback family. Its just not the same. Its like dating Christina Aguilera for almost a year and then getting stuck marrying Barbra Steisand. Yeah Barbra had more talent, experience and could sing better, but seriously?

I don't know. As you may or may not know, last year Tim Tebow almost became bigger that the NFL because he crossed over that weird line from football athlete to that media, talk show, Hollywood, religious, cultural phenomenon. And the last athlete to become bigger than the sport from which he came was non other than Mohammad Ali.

GO BRONCOS!!!
GO TEBOW!!!!
J-E-T-S, JETS! JETS! JETS! ????
|
musmanni
3/24/2012 12:52pm
Don't worry carlosmacho, your conundrum will be short lived as Tebow's slow fade out of NFL existence has started. He won't be around much longer for anybody to root for him.
bultokid
3/24/2012 6:36pm
musmanni wrote:
Don't worry carlosmacho, your conundrum will be short lived as Tebow's slow fade out of NFL existence has started. He won't be around much longer for...
Don't worry carlosmacho, your conundrum will be short lived as Tebow's slow fade out of NFL existence has started. He won't be around much longer for anybody to root for him.
Wrong, look how long Kordell Stewart hung in there.
mx757
3/24/2012 7:03pm
I have been saying it all along. Tebow is the next Ryan Leaf.Remember him? No? oh...
JW381
3/25/2012 7:56am
Better than being a closet homo, like Tebow.

The Shop

Sherwood
3/25/2012 10:38am
I don't understand the hate for Tebow.
TeamGreen
3/25/2012 11:45am
There's one HUGE Douche-bag in ALL of this.

You may know him as the guy that held Joe Montana's Gym Bag...or tried to throw the ball as well as Dan Marino?

Or the guy with all those car dealerships?

You know, the guy from Stanford that never won the Big Game...?

I dunno; but, his relationship with the Manning's and his disdain for Tebow are kinda obvious indicators, to me.

Who knows, maybe Peyton can play...still...I'm jus' not seein' it.

Besides, the Bronco's the really matter are up in Boise.
bultokid
3/25/2012 4:49pm
mx757 wrote:
I have been saying it all along. Tebow is the next Ryan Leaf.Remember him? No? oh...
NO ONE ever said he was going to be a proto-tyoe QB like Leaf was suppose to be. One thing you've got to give the guy is he's got a HUGE heart and just wins, he's a leader, plain and simple. NY will be a zoo this coming season, but as a life-long Jets fan IMO Sanchez is not this answer
Spinner
3/25/2012 6:46pm
Have any of you sat and looked at Tebow's stats?
He is a horrible QB. Horrible.
And in this league, if you can't throw, you don't win championships.
Tebow can't throw.
Spinner
3/25/2012 6:48pm
TeamGreen wrote:
There's one HUGE Douche-bag in ALL of this. You may know him as the guy that held Joe Montana's Gym Bag...or tried to throw the ball...
There's one HUGE Douche-bag in ALL of this.

You may know him as the guy that held Joe Montana's Gym Bag...or tried to throw the ball as well as Dan Marino?

Or the guy with all those car dealerships?

You know, the guy from Stanford that never won the Big Game...?

I dunno; but, his relationship with the Manning's and his disdain for Tebow are kinda obvious indicators, to me.

Who knows, maybe Peyton can play...still...I'm jus' not seein' it.

Besides, the Bronco's the really matter are up in Boise.
Ha. Elway's a Hall of Famer.
Like it or not, but he probably knows a tad more about QB's in the NFL than the rest of us do.
volcati
3/25/2012 7:05pm
You and Timmy are both in the closet now!

It was all done because Sanchez had been partying too much and living the NY lifestyle. If Tebow beats him out (Very highly doubt it) then he deserves it. But Timmy will be doing the Wildcat...he has horrible accuracy and takes way too long to get rid of the ball.

He'd be a great TE and LB.
volcati
3/25/2012 7:07pm Edited Date/Time 3/25/2012 7:07pm
Sherwood wrote:
I don't understand the hate for Tebow.
I think it's a dislike for his fans. They're delusional in thinking he should be an NFL starter. He's one of the most incredible athletes and has passion more than anyone. But he's not a QB. He played in Urban Meyers offense and it's about as complicated as drawing lines in the dirt.
jtomasik
3/25/2012 9:58pm
The Broncos hires players for their skills at the position, not for their beliefs. Tebow stinks as a modern-day QB. The rules have changed to bias the game for the passing game. Tebow isn't that guy.

I'm happy he's gone. I'm happy we have an HOF QB that can actually throw the ball. The Broncos are moving into the modern day league, and it's about time. Elway and Fox are largely responsible for this. Kudos to them. Jets....thank you for signing that PR nightmare that plagued us.

Amen.
volcati
3/25/2012 11:28pm
jtomasik wrote:
The Broncos hires players for their skills at the position, not for their beliefs. Tebow stinks as a modern-day QB. The rules have changed to bias...
The Broncos hires players for their skills at the position, not for their beliefs. Tebow stinks as a modern-day QB. The rules have changed to bias the game for the passing game. Tebow isn't that guy.

I'm happy he's gone. I'm happy we have an HOF QB that can actually throw the ball. The Broncos are moving into the modern day league, and it's about time. Elway and Fox are largely responsible for this. Kudos to them. Jets....thank you for signing that PR nightmare that plagued us.

Amen.
I think Elway is very relieved, as you said, he is a PR nightmare. I understand where the Jets are going with this...but anytime Sanchez has a mediocre or below average game people will be screaming for Tebow.

Fact is...most people who watch football have never played the game, or even know the most basic skill sets needed for each position in the NFL.

I was chatting with some guy last year and he said, "Tebow can throw the ball 70 yards with his arm." I replied, "First, he has to get rid of the ball quickly and accurate, and second, he has to throw the ball FAST and accurate. How far you can throw a ball does not equal arm strength in the NFL."
mx757
3/25/2012 11:51pm
mx757 wrote:
bultokid wrote:
NO ONE ever said he was going to be a proto-tyoe QB like Leaf was suppose to be. One thing you've got to give the guy...
NO ONE ever said he was going to be a proto-tyoe QB like Leaf was suppose to be. One thing you've got to give the guy is he's got a HUGE heart and just wins, he's a leader, plain and simple. NY will be a zoo this coming season, but as a life-long Jets fan IMO Sanchez is not this answer
You obviously havent been in colorado over the past couple seasons. The fact that the dumbass donkey fans started screaming for tebow, who by the way was a 3rd stringer behid Quinn, just shows you the immense hype behind a horribly overrated QB, Same as Leaf.

As far as tebow "just winning" thats not really the case. The 1st game he won, against the dolphins, would have been over at halftime had he been an actual QB, and not a full back in the wildcat. Both the Raiders and the Bears handed the donks their respective games. The raiders with 130 yards of penalties, and the bears had Marion Barber throw the game away twice. The other thing is, people have figured him out. decent, single coverage downfield, with a d line set to stop the run, and he gets shut down. thats how the Chiefs beat the donks.
bultokid
3/26/2012 4:37am
I agree with you 100% that it's very doubtful he can be a full-time starter and be successful but if used as a hybrid/do-all IMO he's a weapon that will give DC's nightmares. Stats mean nada as long as you're hanging W's on the board. At the end of the day Manning or Tebow ? that's a no-brainer----Manning. Hope he stays healthy as he's like watching a surgeon at work.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
42nd
3/26/2012 9:21am
How is he a PR nightmare?
Sherwood
3/26/2012 10:20am
jtomasik wrote:
The Broncos hires players for their skills at the position, not for their beliefs. Tebow stinks as a modern-day QB. The rules have changed to bias...

Amen.
He's a PR nightmare?
3/26/2012 1:51pm
Elway is a genius! He got rid of an over rated hype machine and replaced with someone who can throw and took out a potential playoff contender at the same time. The Jets just f**ked themselves neither Tebow or Sanchez will be happy till one of them is gone. Tebow is a great person but a horrible quarterback. Elway took a risk on Manning but IMO the greater risk would be expecting Tebow to continue to have anykind of success in the league.
rocrac
3/26/2012 7:09pm
I don't understand the hyper bowl for Tebow. I just watched his press conference I thought I was going to puke he said he was excited 27 time and yes ESPN counted them. He is a good guy and I like him his nut hugging fans not so much.
carlosmacho
5/5/2012 9:52am Edited Date/Time 5/5/2012 10:08am
Spinner wrote:
Have any of you sat and looked at Tebow's stats? He is a horrible QB. Horrible. And in this league, if you can't throw, you don't...
Have any of you sat and looked at Tebow's stats?
He is a horrible QB. Horrible.
And in this league, if you can't throw, you don't win championships.
Tebow can't throw.
Ok, let us compare Elway's first 10 game statistics with Tebow's.

Elway finished 4-6 as a starter (1983). He threw seven touchdowns, 14 interceptions and completed just 47.5 percent of his passes. Rushing TD's (1). Winning 4th quarter drives/OT- (1)

In 10 starts, Tebow finished 7-3 as a starter, had 14 touchdown passes, six rushing touchdowns and four interceptions. And perhaps the most intriguing stat considering how much he's been scrutinized about his passing, Tebow had a higher completion percentage at 48 percent. Rushing TD's (5). Winning 4th quarter drives/OT- (5)

So using logic and reason, comparing the 2 in their first 10 games, Tebow threw the ball better than Elway did.
Things that make you go hmmmm.
Mutt
5/5/2012 10:53am
Glad to see you've become a fan of the New Jersey Jets.......

Post a reply to: I am now a closet NY Jet fan...

The Latest