Hurricanes suck

Hudweiser9
May have to pack up and get out of dodge. Anyone else in the path of Matthew? May be a CAT 4 by the time it reaches us on the east coast of FL. Will ride it out at home unless there is mandatory evacuation.
|
AHRMA361
Fantasy
180th
10/4/2016 9:41pm
Don't miss that at all. I lived on Isle of Palms in S.C. Had to deal with a few Hurricanes and learned quickly to have contingencies made well in advance.

Best of luck to you and others in the path. Our local offices in Charleston are closed for the duration of Matthew's swipe up the coast.

Don't wait it out too long depending on the forecasts. Err on the side of caution, especially if you have kids. Ma' Nature can be a real Bitch!
ns503
10/5/2016 4:03am
Yes, they suck big time.

I think we're in the path too - still a few days out though.
10/5/2016 4:07am
Anything Cat. 3 and below, I stay put. Hurricanes are hard-core man, but I'm not leaving my property to looters. Cat. 4 and above won't leave much for looting. I'm prepped as I've lived here for decades. If need be, I can hook up the camper and head west, but that is dicey as the people leaving with you turn the interstates into a massive tangle of cars moving at walking speed (or slower). Seen it happen. Just a few months ago I paid an electrician to put a plug-in on the back of my house for my generator. I can run the kitchen and our bedroom. I also bought a window unit Air conditioner, which stays in storage until needed. 2004 taught me a bunch.
JAFO92
10/5/2016 6:49am
Spent my whole life dealing with hurricanes. If I was you I would just GTFO if you can.

The Shop

10/5/2016 7:25am
No way I'm leaving unless it is a Cat. 4 or more. I've seen that fire-drill on the I-10 and I-95, and I want no part of that. Cat. 4 and I'll join the fracas and get as far inland as traffic will allow, but other than that, I ride it out. No way I'm leaving my YZs for the looters! I'll take them too if I have to go.
scooter5002
10/5/2016 8:08am Edited Date/Time 10/5/2016 8:14am
Worst I've seen is 90 mph winds in the Crowsnest Pass in Alberta, and that was enough, thank you. Nothing but wind, not accompanied by driven rain, trees, or Ford Pinto's. Stay safe down there.

Couldn't find the Ron White bit: it's not when the winds a blowin, it's WHAT......the wind blows.
10/5/2016 8:23am Edited Date/Time 10/5/2016 8:27am
Hope it doesn't just devastate my empty house in new Smyrna (should be fine with it being so north) and Jamaica. Honeymoon is less than two weeks away. Figures!!
hvaughn88
10/5/2016 8:26am
Worst I've seen is 90 mph winds in the Crowsnest Pass in Alberta, and that was enough, thank you. Nothing but wind, not accompanied by driven...
Worst I've seen is 90 mph winds in the Crowsnest Pass in Alberta, and that was enough, thank you. Nothing but wind, not accompanied by driven rain, trees, or Ford Pinto's. Stay safe down there.

Couldn't find the Ron White bit: it's not when the winds a blowin, it's WHAT......the wind blows.
If there's a Yield sign in your spleen...joggin' don't come into play.
JAFO92
10/5/2016 9:35am
Anything Cat. 3 and below, I stay put. Hurricanes are hard-core man, but I'm not leaving my property to looters. Cat. 4 and above won't leave...
Anything Cat. 3 and below, I stay put. Hurricanes are hard-core man, but I'm not leaving my property to looters. Cat. 4 and above won't leave much for looting. I'm prepped as I've lived here for decades. If need be, I can hook up the camper and head west, but that is dicey as the people leaving with you turn the interstates into a massive tangle of cars moving at walking speed (or slower). Seen it happen. Just a few months ago I paid an electrician to put a plug-in on the back of my house for my generator. I can run the kitchen and our bedroom. I also bought a window unit Air conditioner, which stays in storage until needed. 2004 taught me a bunch.
For sure take anything along that has great value. And I guess it also depends how far inland a person is. But if you are coastal and taking a direct hit, been there before and it can get dangerous.
XXVoid MainXX
10/5/2016 10:35am
My wife and her sisters and mother are vacationing along the beach near Charleston SC. I think they need to pack up and get out of there soon. We were at Myrtle Beach AFB for Hugo, that wasn't fun.
Firefly47
10/5/2016 11:08am
DOT in Georgia is turning I-16 all west bound tomorrow.
Everything from Savannah and south in Georgia is going to evacuate at or near 10am tomorrow.

So happy I moved out of Savannah.
10/5/2016 12:21pm
My folks live in Blufton, S.C. just north of Savannah. They packed up and headed to Aschville already for a few days of R&R.
AHRMA361
Fantasy
180th
10/5/2016 1:18pm Edited Date/Time 10/5/2016 1:54pm
My wife and her sisters and mother are vacationing along the beach near Charleston SC. I think they need to pack up and get out of...
My wife and her sisters and mother are vacationing along the beach near Charleston SC. I think they need to pack up and get out of there soon. We were at Myrtle Beach AFB for Hugo, that wasn't fun.
Depending on where they are, the Governor has already ordered evacuations from Charleston and Beaufort starting an hour ago. I think I-26 is only allowed westbound out of town and all the bridges around there as well.
Below is a cut and paste from AOL.

"What we're trying to do is actually because the storm changed, we are changing with the storm," Governor Haley said. "Beaufort and Charleston definitely need to go ahead and plan on evacuating at 3, but we saw that because the storm had slowed down, we can move that evacuation for Georgetown and Horry to tomorrow morning."

But even before Haley spoke, west-bound traffic on Interstate 26 was already packed with South Carolinians and visitors like Lydia and Steve Dalton of Zionsville, Indiana headed away from the coast in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

"It took us a long time to get out of Charleston," Lydia Dalton told NBC News. "We thought we were leaving way ahead of everyone else."

Many were headed for the state capital Columbia, where hotel rooms were already scarce.
ns503
10/5/2016 1:42pm
Worst one I ever sat through in this house was Arthur, summer of 2014.

Just me & the dog, she was going completely bonkers. Shudder shake....
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
10/5/2016 3:32pm
Man, I have to go to AIME next week in Orlando. I hope stuff doesn't get effed up too bad before everybody gets there.
10/5/2016 4:26pm Edited Date/Time 10/5/2016 4:28pm
Dude my house is in the red zone. Friday at 2pm is gonna be nasty. We were down there in 2008 during a tropical storm and were scared. This might be a cat 4. I hope I have a house after its gone. 130mph winds. Really glad we put in hurricane glass and windows in 09. Hope they hold up.

We fly into Orlando October 31. So I guess we will see then. Gonna have to make some calls to the neighbors see if they evacuated.
Nighttrain
10/5/2016 5:19pm
I live in a house I'd guess is about 300 yds from a normal high tide. Here they're only projecting 80 mph winds but a tidal surge could muck things up. They're evacuating the area but I'm waiting it out to see if Matthew turns east after pummeling central Florida. They're already locking the place down making it difficult to get back in our area. My son surfed all day at Folly Beach and said the waves were good.

For anyone in central Florida I hope you stay safe and it's not as bad as it looks like it might get for y'all.
10/5/2016 5:32pm
I'm probably staying put, but you never know. The stores around here are bare from people stocking up.
XXVoid MainXX
10/5/2016 5:34pm
My wife and her sisters and mother are vacationing along the beach near Charleston SC. I think they need to pack up and get out of...
AHRMA361 wrote:
Depending on where they are, the Governor has already ordered evacuations from Charleston and Beaufort starting an hour ago. I think I-26 is only allowed westbound...
Depending on where they are, the Governor has already ordered evacuations from Charleston and Beaufort starting an hour ago. I think I-26 is only allowed westbound out of town and all the bridges around there as well.
Below is a cut and paste from AOL.

"What we're trying to do is actually because the storm changed, we are changing with the storm," Governor Haley said. "Beaufort and Charleston definitely need to go ahead and plan on evacuating at 3, but we saw that because the storm had slowed down, we can move that evacuation for Georgetown and Horry to tomorrow morning."

But even before Haley spoke, west-bound traffic on Interstate 26 was already packed with South Carolinians and visitors like Lydia and Steve Dalton of Zionsville, Indiana headed away from the coast in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

"It took us a long time to get out of Charleston," Lydia Dalton told NBC News. "We thought we were leaving way ahead of everyone else."

Many were headed for the state capital Columbia, where hotel rooms were already scarce.
Yep, she said they got the evacuation order and are leaving first thing in the morning.
Nighttrain
10/5/2016 5:35pm
AHRMA361 wrote:
Don't miss that at all. I lived on Isle of Palms in S.C. Had to deal with a few Hurricanes and learned quickly to have contingencies...
Don't miss that at all. I lived on Isle of Palms in S.C. Had to deal with a few Hurricanes and learned quickly to have contingencies made well in advance.

Best of luck to you and others in the path. Our local offices in Charleston are closed for the duration of Matthew's swipe up the coast.

Don't wait it out too long depending on the forecasts. Err on the side of caution, especially if you have kids. Ma' Nature can be a real Bitch!
Hah! I live on IOP. Small world.
10/5/2016 6:52pm Edited Date/Time 10/5/2016 6:52pm
Good luck. Hope this bitch takes a turn for the east.
MR. X
10/5/2016 7:07pm
Guy at work got home from the Dominican Republic on monday , i can't imagine there is much left there.
Hudweiser9
10/5/2016 9:44pm
Dude my house is in the red zone. Friday at 2pm is gonna be nasty. We were down there in 2008 during a tropical storm and...
Dude my house is in the red zone. Friday at 2pm is gonna be nasty. We were down there in 2008 during a tropical storm and were scared. This might be a cat 4. I hope I have a house after its gone. 130mph winds. Really glad we put in hurricane glass and windows in 09. Hope they hold up.

We fly into Orlando October 31. So I guess we will see then. Gonna have to make some calls to the neighbors see if they evacuated.
I'm in the same boat, just north of you in Ormond Beach. Got all of the supplies. Vehicles all gassed up. Now just waiting & watching. Life long Florida native, seen some bad ones (2004 had 3 in a row). This one looks worse than the others. Supposed to hit our area Fri morning. Good luck and stay safe to all affected.
brlatm
10/6/2016 12:37am
MR. X wrote:
Guy at work got home from the Dominican Republic on monday , i can't imagine there is much left there.
My wife and daughter just flew in tonight from our place there. She said it was just some wind and rain and wasn't bad at all. Our place is on the north side of the island though, not sure about the south side...I haven't been watching the news much.

Stay safe boys!
AHRMA361
Fantasy
180th
10/6/2016 6:01am
AHRMA361 wrote:
Don't miss that at all. I lived on Isle of Palms in S.C. Had to deal with a few Hurricanes and learned quickly to have contingencies...

Nighttrain wrote:
Hah! I live on IOP. Small world.
Really is. I was on 32nd Ave. It's a wonder that the liquor store is still in business since I left. Laughing

Miss the musty old Red & White. Not. The new Teet is really nice.

Corporate office is still on Daniel Island.

Friend on 32nd is going to ride it out with his dog. Sent the wife and kids inland though.
agn5009
10/6/2016 8:55am
Good luck to everyone in its path. It's scary stuff.
Nighttrain
10/6/2016 11:14am
AHRMA361 wrote:
Really is. I was on 32nd Ave. It's a wonder that the liquor store is still in business since I left. :laugh: Miss the musty old...
Really is. I was on 32nd Ave. It's a wonder that the liquor store is still in business since I left. Laughing

Friend on 32nd is going to ride it out with his dog. Sent the wife and kids inland though.
Hey Mike, it's Rick. The Warden took my younger son and dogs to MtP. I'm riding it out with Andy and his dog next door. Laughing I do feel bad for the folks in Florida where it'll be a Cat 4. Hope everyone was able to evacuate.
AHRMA361
Fantasy
180th
10/6/2016 11:39am
AHRMA361 wrote:
Really is. I was on 32nd Ave. It's a wonder that the liquor store is still in business since I left. :laugh: Miss the musty old...

Nighttrain wrote:
Hey Mike, it's Rick. The Warden took my younger son and dogs to MtP. I'm riding it out with Andy and his dog next door. :laugh...
Hey Mike, it's Rick. The Warden took my younger son and dogs to MtP. I'm riding it out with Andy and his dog next door. Laughing I do feel bad for the folks in Florida where it'll be a Cat 4. Hope everyone was able to evacuate.
Hey Rick. Totally small world it is! Will is probably waxing his surfboard up the street in anticipation of the big waves.

Andy will go nuts if the power goes out Sunday and he can't watch the debate! Stay safe brother! Looks to be a big mess headed your way!
Prairieboy43
10/6/2016 12:44pm Edited Date/Time 10/6/2016 3:34pm
agn5009 wrote:
Good luck to everyone in its path. It's scary stuff.
Said "Hannah's" mother. Yamaha signed him, after that conversation. Evil

Yes Good Luck. Looks nasty on Radar. God Bless.

PB43
10/6/2016 4:34pm Edited Date/Time 10/6/2016 4:40pm
Shit my south facing window isn't hurricane proof. And this bitch is coming hard that direction.

I hope she survives. I got hurricane insurance and She's low to the ground and all concrete block. Holy double shit. hopefully I got Windows and roof after tomorrow.

Post a reply to: Hurricanes suck

The Latest