Hunting and, fishing day bags

Chance1216
Edited Date/Time 9/23/2022 9:13am
I’m on the market for a decent bag. I don’t hunt much but, fish a hell of a lot. I’ve been using backpacks for awhile now and, have come to the conclusion I need a better bag.
I need something with plenty of room for my usual gear with a lot of pockets for organizing but, would also like to fit rain gear in it as well since I live in the PNW. I’ve used tactical styled bags for several years since they usually have plenty of pockets and, I can clip off items to the exterior of the bag as needed. Unfortunately, they’re usually on the smaller side. I came across KUIU after looking around for a few days. It looks to be well made. I was also looking at Killik branded bags as well but, keep hearing about their shitty customer service and, people having problems getting replacement clips as they’re prone to breaking. What are you guys using? Any direction appreciated. I know good gear is expensive but, I’m trying not to go over $250.

Thanks fellas.

|
Hoseclamp
Fantasy
617th
8/19/2022 9:03pm
I got a used military surplus MOLLE backpack at a gun show pretty reasonable. It is very sturdy built and has tons of room. Little bags that clip on the side and all kinds of add ons. Its almost got too many pockets, straps and hidey holes. I found a PS vita inside it once I got it home, squirreled away in a hidden pocket. I felt bad because I knew it belonged to a service man, but had no ID of any sort on the bag or the device. I kitted it out as a bug out bag and Im telling you, you can fit a lot of stuff in it.
Chance1216
8/19/2022 9:32pm Edited Date/Time 8/19/2022 9:37pm
Hoseclamp wrote:
I got a used military surplus MOLLE backpack at a gun show pretty reasonable. It is very sturdy built and has tons of room. Little bags...
I got a used military surplus MOLLE backpack at a gun show pretty reasonable. It is very sturdy built and has tons of room. Little bags that clip on the side and all kinds of add ons. Its almost got too many pockets, straps and hidey holes. I found a PS vita inside it once I got it home, squirreled away in a hidden pocket. I felt bad because I knew it belonged to a service man, but had no ID of any sort on the bag or the device. I kitted it out as a bug out bag and Im telling you, you can fit a lot of stuff in it.
I’m looking at those bags as well. My buddy I fish with uses one. It is very nice. I’ll probably end up checking those out as well as I’m open to any ideas. I just want a do everything bag without it having a frame. I want a lot but, in doing so, I’m trying to keep it as streamlined as possible if that makes sense. I think a MOLLE bag is a good idea as the add ons can be removed.
Thank you.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
8/19/2022 11:14pm
You looked at REI? Obviously their bags are more geared towards camping but generally the REI branded stuff is pretty good bang for your buck. And garage sale days might really get you a good score.

The Shop

FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
8/20/2022 5:04am
If I'm beach fishing or wade fishing and carrying 2 rods - I use the Lunker Hunt.
It's got a 2 rod holder on the side https://lunkerhunt.com/products/tackle-backpack
It's a pretty roomy pack that you may be able to fit some lighter rain gear in.
You can look at the specs.

If I'm going light with only 1 rod I have an older Simms Sling pack I use.
This is a newer model one.
https://www.simmsfishing.com/products/freestone-sling-pack?variant=4083…

Trav138
8/20/2022 7:17am Edited Date/Time 8/20/2022 7:22am
Check out canoe tripping bags, they might be what you're after.manu different styles that come in all sizes, material, cost. Try Piragus.com or canoe and kayak specific suppliers
Chance1216
9/3/2022 11:04am
I ended up going with the Kuiu 2300 bag. There’s a Labor Day weekend sale and, I was able to pick it up for $163 with tax. It was normally $212 before taxes. There’s several items on sale that might be worth you guys looking at.
Once again, thank you for all the responses.

FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
9/3/2022 1:13pm
I have had a ton of soft tackle bags but not back packs. I've had a pair of these wade belts for 30 years i won in a tournament that are really special especiallyfor here. Some of my favorite spots are so far back in the mangrove tunnels and across dry flats where no boats go to these secret springs that hold every fish in the area during cold months. Also when you walk across the grass flats you sink in and it's hard to walk but these float you just enough so you can walk effortlessly across the grass. A lot of saltwater tournaments let you wade fish once you get to your spots here and these are such a great help. They hold 3 rods, boga grip pliers, some tackle and some waters. I never could find them again or I would of bought a bunch but they are still in great condition almost 30 years later.

The buff is for the sun and picture was taken many years before covid. Crazy that people will be mad at me if I decide to wear one these days because I don't want sun cancer again and myself and thousands of sportsman have been wearing them for decades.

captmoto
9/5/2022 10:08am Edited Date/Time 9/5/2022 10:08am
colintrax wrote:
You looked at REI? Obviously their bags are more geared towards camping but generally the REI branded stuff is pretty good bang for your buck. And...
You looked at REI? Obviously their bags are more geared towards camping but generally the REI branded stuff is pretty good bang for your buck. And garage sale days might really get you a good score.
I went to REI once to buy topo maps. I told the guy helping me I was using them for deer hunting. He about vapor locked. They, as a company, are pretty uptight greenies. Tell them you are going cross country dirt bike riding and see if you get a similar reaction.
captmoto
9/5/2022 10:11am
Chance1216 wrote:
I ended up going with the Kuiu 2300 bag. There’s a Labor Day weekend sale and, I was able to pick it up for $163 with...
I ended up going with the Kuiu 2300 bag. There’s a Labor Day weekend sale and, I was able to pick it up for $163 with tax. It was normally $212 before taxes. There’s several items on sale that might be worth you guys looking at.
Once again, thank you for all the responses.

Let us know how it worked out. That Kuiu stuff is pretty well regarded in the hunting community.
Chance1216
9/18/2022 8:49pm Edited Date/Time 9/18/2022 8:54pm
captmoto wrote:
Let us know how it worked out. That Kuiu stuff is pretty well regarded in the hunting community.
The bag actually worked out better then expected. The material is very durable. Hiking through blackberry bushes, it’s held up well. There’s plenty of room inside for my tackle and, I can throw in a 60 oz water jug. I can also fit my rain jacket in one if the pockets. On the straps that interlock across my waist, there’s two additional pockets. Since this bags primary use is fishing, I fit in a couple additional smaller boxes or, scent bottles. On top of the bag, I’m able to strap in my coffee thermos. On the shoulder straps, I was able to clip off my carabiner for carrying out salmon along with my knife. My only gripe is, I wish there were more areas to clip off other accessories. But, that’s a small complaint considering the bag has pretty much everything I could ask for. I’m considering getting a second one already to set up for bobber and, eggs. This is my drift bag. I would like to have the ability to just grab a bag that’s set up for each technique and, just go. Here’s pretty much everything I pack in it. A water jug, a Tupperware container for food, a rain jacket rolled tight in a gallon zip lock bag, headlamp, several rollers with pre tied leaders, a few other boxes for misc tackle. One waterproof box has mini screwdrivers, oil and, reel wrenches if I need to work on it in the field. Along with pliers, scissors and, other stuff. If I’m wearing a hoodie in the morning, the bag is large enough to throw it in if it warms up during the day to pack out. For a day bag on the river, it’s perfect. Here’s a couple pictures.

Chance1216
9/22/2022 3:01pm
I figure since I started this thread about bags, I might as well include this cooler bag I ordered from Rtic as a bait bag. I used it once already and, it kept my jars of eggs cool throughout the day. I did place a frozen gel block in with the bait and, was surprised it wasn’t fully melted by the end of the day as well. I picked up the 12 can size since I didn’t want a bag too big and cumbersome as I have to cross a river. I have enough gear to pack as it is already.

Anyways, here’s a couple pics.

Though it might not be as expensive as Yeti, it is of very high quality.

Chance1216
9/22/2022 3:51pm
NvHermit wrote:
I have a couple of these that I can put in my backpack or carabiner to it. The grandkids use them for lunch so I tried...
I have a couple of these that I can put in my backpack or carabiner to it. The grandkids use them for lunch so I tried it and they work awesome. Just toss in the freezer when you're done so its ready for next time

https://packit.com/products/freezable-classic-lunch-box?variant=1124403806214
That’s a pretty cool set up. Saves room inside not having to add a freeze block. How long would you guess it keeps what’s inside cool on say a 50 - 60* day?
NvHermit
Fantasy
4303rd
9/22/2022 4:29pm
Hangtown last year was over 100 and a frozen bottle of water was still half ice at the end of the day.
Chance1216
9/22/2022 4:55pm
NvHermit wrote:
Hangtown last year was over 100 and a frozen bottle of water was still half ice at the end of the day.
Awesome. I’m ordering one.
JRT812
9/22/2022 6:26pm Edited Date/Time 9/22/2022 6:27pm
Chance1216 wrote:
I figure since I started this thread about bags, I might as well include this cooler bag I ordered from Rtic as a bait bag. I...
I figure since I started this thread about bags, I might as well include this cooler bag I ordered from Rtic as a bait bag. I used it once already and, it kept my jars of eggs cool throughout the day. I did place a frozen gel block in with the bait and, was surprised it wasn’t fully melted by the end of the day as well. I picked up the 12 can size since I didn’t want a bag too big and cumbersome as I have to cross a river. I have enough gear to pack as it is already.

Good stuff. I have a similar bag and and a similar cooler. Both the bag and yeti cooler have been pretty good. I like seeing the abu 5500 reel. Bullet proof
Chance1216
9/22/2022 6:34pm
Chance1216 wrote:
I figure since I started this thread about bags, I might as well include this cooler bag I ordered from Rtic as a bait bag. I...

JRT812 wrote:
Good stuff. I have a similar bag and and a similar cooler. Both the bag and yeti cooler have been pretty good. I like seeing the...
Good stuff. I have a similar bag and and a similar cooler. Both the bag and yeti cooler have been pretty good. I like seeing the abu 5500 reel. Bullet proof
I love these reels. I have quite a few of them. It’s the larger 6501 C3 models I use.
The drags are second to none. Super smooth and, can be adjusted up to 15lbs of drag force. I had to watch a couple videos on maintaining them years ago. Now, I can tear them apart, clean, grease, oil and, reassemble one in about fifteen minutes. Very well thought out design.
JRT812
9/22/2022 6:38pm
Chance1216 wrote:

JRT812 wrote:
Good stuff. I have a similar bag and and a similar cooler. Both the bag and yeti cooler have been pretty good. I like seeing the...
Chance1216 wrote:
I love these reels. I have quite a few of them. It’s the larger 6501 C3 models I use. The drags are second to none. Super...
I love these reels. I have quite a few of them. It’s the larger 6501 C3 models I use.
The drags are second to none. Super smooth and, can be adjusted up to 15lbs of drag force. I had to watch a couple videos on maintaining them years ago. Now, I can tear them apart, clean, grease, oil and, reassemble one in about fifteen minutes. Very well thought out design.
I haven’t tried those but they can’t be much different than what I run. Had them for years and they just run. They aren’t low profile and cool with the kids nowadays but love ‘em
Chance1216
9/22/2022 6:53pm
JRT812 wrote:
Chance1216 wrote:
I love these reels. I have quite a few of them. It’s the larger 6501 C3 models I use. The drags are second to none. Super...
JRT812 wrote:
I haven’t tried those but they can’t be much different than what I run. Had them for years and they just run. They aren’t low profile...
I haven’t tried those but they can’t be much different than what I run. Had them for years and they just run. They aren’t low profile and cool with the kids nowadays but love ‘em
They were updated about six years ago. The newer ones spool out a little easier and, casting lighter hardware doesn’t result in a birds nest as easily. I have a few of the older versions and, wouldn’t hesitate to use one over the other.

I also have one low profile that’s nice to others. It’s a Shimano Curado. It’s super smooth but, does not have the drag I need fishing for chinook. I found myself losing more fish with it as I would have to play the fish out longer. I believe it only has 11 pounds of drag force. It might not seem like much but, it’s significant on the river. Like you said, the Abu’s are bulletproof. Here’s a pic of the older (grey trim) and, newer version C3 (black trim) along with the Curado that’s should’ve been another C3 or, two. It was almost $300 and, I hate it. Good for smaller fish but, still a shiney POS 😂

JRT812
9/22/2022 7:04pm
Chance1216 wrote:
JRT812 wrote:
I haven’t tried those but they can’t be much different than what I run. Had them for years and they just run. They aren’t low profile...
Chance1216 wrote:
They were updated about six years ago. The newer ones spool out a little easier and, casting lighter hardware doesn’t result in a birds nest as...
They were updated about six years ago. The newer ones spool out a little easier and, casting lighter hardware doesn’t result in a birds nest as easily. I have a few of the older versions and, wouldn’t hesitate to use one over the other.

I also have one low profile that’s nice to others. It’s a Shimano Curado. It’s super smooth but, does not have the drag I need fishing for chinook. I found myself losing more fish with it as I would have to play the fish out longer. I believe it only has 11 pounds of drag force. It might not seem like much but, it’s significant on the river. Like you said, the Abu’s are bulletproof. Here’s a pic of the older (grey trim) and, newer version C3 (black trim) along with the Curado that’s should’ve been another C3 or, two. It was almost $300 and, I hate it. Good for smaller fish but, still a shiney POS 😂

I have a curado as well. Just like looking at it and don’t foresee it changing as it has let me down once or twice
JRT812
9/22/2022 7:05pm
My apologies and didn’t mean to derail the thread with reel talks
Chance1216
9/22/2022 7:12pm
JRT812 wrote:
I sent you a pm. Don’t apologize man. I can talk about anything fishing related for hours. The thread isn’t limited by its title.
SEEMEFIRST
9/22/2022 8:36pm
It's 15 per day with no more than 2 white tipped dove.
JRT812
9/23/2022 7:28am
JRT812 wrote:
Chance1216 wrote:
I sent you a pm. Don’t apologize man. I can talk about anything fishing related for hours. The thread isn’t limited by its title.
I have tried multiple times trying to figure out how to review the PM. Granted, I am a world renowned idiot, but I can’t locate where the message is

Chance1216
9/23/2022 8:28am
JRT812 wrote:
I have tried multiple times trying to figure out how to review the PM. Granted, I am a world renowned idiot, but I can’t locate where...
I have tried multiple times trying to figure out how to review the PM. Granted, I am a world renowned idiot, but I can’t locate where the message is

The pm system is a joke most of the time. It should pop up under your email notifications. I’ll try again.
JRT812
9/23/2022 9:13am
JRT812 wrote:
I have tried multiple times trying to figure out how to review the PM. Granted, I am a world renowned idiot, but I can’t locate where...

Chance1216 wrote:
The pm system is a joke most of the time. It should pop up under your email notifications. I’ll try again.
Thanks for the direction and didn’t realize it went to personal email. Apparently I haven’t paid much notice to my personal email as I have 27,931 unread emails but I located it. Thanks

Post a reply to: Hunting and, fishing day bags

The Latest