How's your Corn doing ? ... that's CORN

Related:
Create New Tag

7/25/2018 1:25 PM

Swung by the local market for viddles, was really jonesin for some CotC ... (see what I did therecool )

The stuff was "local" and pricey as hell, but no man should be kept from his cob dammit !! Stuff was garbage really bad and no one was touching it.

So, how is everyone else' corn doing?

|

7/25/2018 2:09 PM

Pretty good from what I’ve seen here in middle TN

|

7/25/2018 4:27 PM

Its a cryin' shame what some folks try to pass off as "sweet corn". Big ears, big kernels, but taste like semi-sweet mush. You should be able to shuck an ear back, clean the silk and bite it raw (if you have decent choppers) and it should be clean and sweet. You only really cook it to make it release from the cob easier and to make butter melt. Anything else is feed corn and not fit for eatin'.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

7/25/2018 5:28 PM

We put in 40 acres of some Syngenta Serendipity bicolor but a big rain wiped it out.

|

"We don't rent pigs."

7/25/2018 5:45 PM

JAFO92 wrote:

We put in 40 acres of some Syngenta Serendipity bicolor but a big rain wiped it out.

That sucks. I remember years when early rain or the damned deer wiped out our crop. Of course way back then, we traded corn for venison...if you get my driftwink

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

7/25/2018 5:47 PM

JAFO92 wrote:

40 acres is a shit ton. You didn't salvage ANY?

|

7/25/2018 5:51 PM

I've hand picked corn, tomatoes, peaches, Apple's, watermelon, cantelope, and everything else. Surely you had an acre or two that made it. Unless you plowed under and replanted something else.

|

7/25/2018 6:20 PM

I gotta say.....the corn we are getting here this past 6 - 8 weeks has been the best I've ever had. Yellow and white have both been big , plump and full of flavor. I literally just cooked up to ears!

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

7/25/2018 6:24 PM

jeffro503 wrote:

I gotta say.....the corn we are getting here this past 6 - 8 weeks has been the best I've ever had. Yellow and white have both ...more

You shouldn't even be growing corn in Portland OR. It just ain't right.

|

7/25/2018 6:25 PM

Been getting decent corn here. Key is not to over boil it. You know when it's been cooked too long. Just shrivels up and sucks.

|

7/25/2018 6:43 PM

JAFO92 wrote:

plowboy wrote:

When the field gets washed like that you just plow it out. Sweet corn is not as hearty as field corn, finicky stuff.

|

"We don't rent pigs."

7/26/2018 4:04 AM

plowboy wrote:

Its a cryin' shame what some folks try to pass off as "sweet corn". Big ears, big kernels, but taste like semi-sweet mush. You ...more

w00t what’s wrong with eating feed corn? We used to eat the shit out of that when I was a young boy. You had like a one week window to pick and eat it, too early and milky, too late and hard. Lots of ears roasted on an open fire. Lol
|

7/26/2018 5:39 AM

I prefer to drink my corn. Calumet is what it is lately.

|

7/26/2018 6:31 AM

Drought my way. I got about 6 rows. All pathetic. Knee high tasseled off already. Bad year for me.

|

GP740
Since 1987

7/26/2018 4:01 PM

plowboy wrote:

Its a cryin' shame what some folks try to pass off as "sweet corn". Big ears, big kernels, but taste like semi-sweet mush. You ...more

2smokertillend wrote: w00t what’s wrong with eating feed corn? We used to eat the shit out of that when I was a young boy. You had like a one week ...more

That's the difference between growing it yourself and buying it somewhere. You hit that "worth eating" window. Most feed corn you get ain't in that zone.

|

7/26/2018 4:02 PM

IWreckALot wrote:

I prefer to drink my corn. Calumet is what it is lately.

There's this fella on here, Hillbilly is his handle...you guys should talk.w00t

|

7/26/2018 4:11 PM

2smokertillend wrote: w00t what’s wrong with eating feed corn? We used to eat the shit out of that when I was a young boy. You had like a one week ...more

We used to farm lots & lots of field corn, as I recall we used Funks large-flat, forgot the # of the specific variety. Made money some years, other years lost my ass to drought, hail, aflatoxin, et. al. Crap shoot every year.

Pick field corn at the right time, roastin' ears with salt & butter are damn good eating.

|

"We don't rent pigs."

7/26/2018 4:11 PM

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

Drought my way. I got about 6 rows. All pathetic. Knee high tasseled off already. Bad year for me.

Farming is a tough bidness. Imagine if you had 1000 acres of that sorry crop. I admire the shit out of folks that keep a farm going. I go to the state fair every year just to talk to the farmers and ranchers to see how things are going for them. I do know this...the younger folks are a LOT more educated in agro and finance. Educated hicks...I love it.

|

7/26/2018 4:21 PM

JAFO92 wrote:

plowboy wrote:

JAFO92 wrote:

When the field gets washed like that you just plow it out. Sweet corn is not as hearty as field corn, finicky stuff.

I hear ya brother. Did you re-sow a different crop? 40 acres is more than personal consumption. You sell at farmers market or animal feed or what? I'm not sure where BFE Texas is but New taters grow pretty fast.

|

7/26/2018 4:46 PM

Our corn is surviving for now. It's so brutally hot out here. Photo

Our avocado trees are just in survival mode at this point too. They aren't producing yet, but hopefully in a year. We just started stumping them. They're all at least 30 years old. The heat is killing our neighbors trees because he isn't watering them enough. My water bill was $500 last month. Ouch
Photo
Photo

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

7/26/2018 5:03 PM

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

plowboy wrote:

Farming is a tough bidness. Imagine if you had 1000 acres of that sorry crop. I admire the shit out of folks that keep a farm ...more

Farmers market in our small town every Friday night. Lot's of fun, fresh produce and all salt of the earth type folks. We have growers, wine makers, craft makers. Live music from local school. Small town feel....

|

7/26/2018 5:12 PM

Fresh sweet corn is a treat only enjoyed by people that grow it. Depending on where you live i guess, the corn you buy at the store is at least a day or two old and by then the natural sugars have turned to starch. It still tastes good but it's not that same as pulling off an ear and roasting or boiling right away. Or just eating it raw. I have only had this pleasure once. Being a city boy it's hard to find room for corn. I lived in a house for 3 years that had enough room for me to plant 8 rows with about 10 stalks per row. It was the most fun thing I've ever grown. Well, I always have my maters, but that corn was awesome.

|

7/26/2018 5:40 PM

Yea it’s nice to go out pick it off the stalk and take it to the wife. Take the husk off and eat it.

|

GP740
Since 1987

7/26/2018 5:44 PM

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

Yea it’s nice to go out pick it off the stalk and take it to the wife. Take the husk off and eat it.

The corn or the......silly

|

7/26/2018 5:51 PM

smashingpumpkins167 wrote:

Our avocado trees are just in survival mode at this point too. ...more

All it says for your location is...USA. From the pictures I'm guessing you don't get much rainfall. Do you have a well or truck in water. Do you think it's worth trying to grow such water dependent crops in such an arid area? I struggle every year to keep tomatoes and peppers and such alive. My brother lives in Tulsa right on the Arkansas river...he doesn't even own a hose. It's like a damn jungle there.

|

7/26/2018 5:57 PM

plowboy wrote:

All it says for your location is...USA. From the pictures I'm guessing you don't get much rainfall. Do you have a well or ...more

I forgot to say...and not trying to be a dick...that is some sorry looking corn. Ask anyone from Iowa, Illinois, Indiana.etc. Sorry man...hope you get something worth eating.

|

7/26/2018 6:10 PM

plowboy wrote:

All it says for your location is...USA. From the pictures I'm guessing you don't get much rainfall. Do you have a well or ...more

Yea we're in southern California so water is pretty scarce. We're on city water for now, but are working on utilizing our well. My water bill is a great motivator to get it finished. We have the tank and most of the plumbing done. We just have to get a pump and a few odds and ends to get it up and running.

There is a creek right down the hill. You can see it where the green trees to the right of the first pic are. We figure that will be feeding our well pretty decently. We just have to keep doing our rain dance. Our neighbor has less trees than us and is on city water and does alright. So we figure if we can get the well working we should do alright.

|

Amateur helmet painter

7/26/2018 6:17 PM

plowboy wrote:

Yea we're in southern California so water is pretty scarce. We're on city water for now, but are working on utilizing our ...more

How deep did you have to go? I know nothing about avocado production. I do know that growing stuff in a semi-desert is TOUGH. Very fertile soil but...water is the problem.

|

7/26/2018 7:14 PM

plowboy wrote:

How deep did you have to go? I know nothing about avocado production. I do know that growing stuff in a semi-desert is TOUGH. ...more

I'm not sure exactly. I would have to ask my mother in law. She owns the lot that has it. It was one of the main reasons she bought that lot. Otherwise you pay crazy amounts of money to get permission to pull water out of the ground.

|

Amateur helmet painter

7/26/2018 7:26 PM

plowboy wrote:

plowboy wrote:

I forgot to say...and not trying to be a dick...that is some sorry looking corn. Ask anyone from Iowa, Illinois, Indiana.etc. ...more

That was being a dick lol

Come on, it's late July. Corn looks pretty damn good all things considering.

We had a great garden last year with peppers, cucumber, zucchini, etc. Was more then we could actually eat. We were giving away full gallon bags of basil, chives, rosemary, etc.

This year has been a real struggle.....basil and herbs is growing good. But the rest is just struggling. Can give it all the water it wants but when it's 106 out it just gets fried.

|