How you guys coping in the heat wave

Heggo
Edited Date/Time 8/31/2021 11:10pm
Expected to see something here to get some feedback from people on the ground. Hearing some crazy big numbers and records getting smashed in Canada of all places!!! Melting shit and buckling roads, you know things are just starting to get weird.
Stay safe out there, that sort of heat is no joke. Should we expect Redbud to be crazy too then?
https://news.yahoo.com/dangerous-pacific-northwest-heat-wave-155651401.html
|
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
6/30/2021 1:03am
Toughing it out here in San Clemente

Heggo
6/30/2021 3:16am
Looking at the PA weather past 3 days and up coming, it doesn't sound like you are in the firing line, so to speak, to comment really. Be a lot people wishing it was only 90. Not the 118 I've been reading about in the PNW
APLMAN99
6/30/2021 6:05am
We broke our official all time heat record yesterday.

Can’t ignore this heat. It really is dangerous, especially with our labor force. Our workflow is naturally a hot environment, with a fair amount of humidity because of the flammability of the product we produce. I follow a heat index model and have begun giving my employees a 10 minute break every hour instead of 15 minutes for every 4 hour period and brought in a couple pallets of those electrolyte freeze pops for them too.

Also for now anyone who calls out because of the heat is not penalized for attendance. So far I’ve only had 3 call outs for heat, all 3 are older employees with health conditions that could have been exasperated so it doesn’t seem like anyone is trying to game the system.

Our plant gets hottest between 6pm and 10pm, but it’s holding so much heat that it’s almost as hot at midnight as it is at noon.
yz133rider
6/30/2021 7:11am
Heggo wrote:
Looking at the PA weather past 3 days and up coming, it doesn't sound like you are in the firing line, so to speak, to comment...
Looking at the PA weather past 3 days and up coming, it doesn't sound like you are in the firing line, so to speak, to comment really. Be a lot people wishing it was only 90. Not the 118 I've been reading about in the PNW
Uhhhh it’s a high of 99 here in pa where I am today, and humid as hell. It’s been hot.

The Shop

Chance1216
6/30/2021 7:13am
Saturday and, Sunday were very hot. Monday, we were given the day off as the temps reached 109*. Sections of
I-5 buckled in a couple areas from the heat. Siding on a few apartment building down the street started to melt and pull away from exterior walls. We’re looking at a high of 81* today. I’m thankful for that as we’re doing a ground work (plumbing) outside over the next couple days.
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
6/30/2021 7:26am
Heggo wrote:
Looking at the PA weather past 3 days and up coming, it doesn't sound like you are in the firing line, so to speak, to comment...
yz133rider wrote:
Uhhhh it’s a high of 99 here in pa where I am today, and humid as hell. It’s been hot.
But its like 115*F in Canada.
Rooster
6/30/2021 7:42am
Living in the northernmost major city in Canada and seriously regretting not having air conditioning.

We're likely to see the largest temperature swings in a calendar year that we've ever seen.

We set new record lows in the -40˚C(-40˚F) back in February to 38˚C(100.4F) today.

I picked the wrong fucking year to tackle a fairly big landscaping project.
APLMAN99
6/30/2021 8:14am
Chance1216 wrote:
Saturday and, Sunday were very hot. Monday, we were given the day off as the temps reached 109*. Sections of I-5 buckled in a couple areas...
Saturday and, Sunday were very hot. Monday, we were given the day off as the temps reached 109*. Sections of
I-5 buckled in a couple areas from the heat. Siding on a few apartment building down the street started to melt and pull away from exterior walls. We’re looking at a high of 81* today. I’m thankful for that as we’re doing a ground work (plumbing) outside over the next couple days.
95 degrees in your neck of the woods feels like 110 over here. I truly can't imagine what 109 in the Seattle area must feel like. I would probably rather have bamboo driven under my fingernails that go through that! And most of us on this side have air conditioning by default, whereas there are a LOT of nice places in Puget Sound with nothing but fans to cool with.

My son at UW called and was VERY thankful of the AC unit we bought him a couple summers ago. He hadn't actually used it the last 2 summers but he got it put together right away when he heard about the heat wave and he says it's been a godsend.
APLMAN99
6/30/2021 8:20am
We cool down a little bit after today but right now it’s 88 degrees at 8:15AM and that’s definitely not something that we are used to……
6/30/2021 10:06am
Just some quick info on why the weather patterns are so strange. We have recently entered a solar minimum(actually some believe we are entering a grand solar minimum..??), which means there are less sun spots and in turn means slightly less energy reaching earth. This affects our jet streams, making them oscillate further to the north and south than they typically do. This brings warmer air further north than usual, and cold air further south than usual ---> more fluctuation in weather patterns.

here is a short news blurb about it
https://local21news.com/news/local/solar-minimum-could-bring-wild-weath…

early
Fantasy
2231st
6/30/2021 10:14am
Just some quick info on why the weather patterns are so strange. We have recently entered a solar minimum(actually some believe we are entering a grand...
Just some quick info on why the weather patterns are so strange. We have recently entered a solar minimum(actually some believe we are entering a grand solar minimum..??), which means there are less sun spots and in turn means slightly less energy reaching earth. This affects our jet streams, making them oscillate further to the north and south than they typically do. This brings warmer air further north than usual, and cold air further south than usual ---> more fluctuation in weather patterns.

If there is less sun energy reaching earth, why is there more heat energy contained in earth surface matter?

G-man
6/30/2021 10:53am Edited Date/Time 6/30/2021 11:42am
Been in the Valley of the Scorching SUN 🌞 for 34 years and I'm not sure if I'm just getting old but this seems to be the HOTTEST JUNE EVER!

The other night at 8:30 pm I went to walk my dogs snd play fetch in the green belt and it was a 108゚!!!!!Evil
6/30/2021 11:38am
Just some quick info on why the weather patterns are so strange. We have recently entered a solar minimum(actually some believe we are entering a grand...

early wrote:
If there is less sun energy reaching earth, why is there more heat energy contained in earth surface matter? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/06/30/500003/s1200_Screenshot_20210630_131226_Chrome.jpg[/img]
If there is less sun energy reaching earth, why is there more heat energy contained in earth surface matter?

because slightly less amount of energy doesn't = a negative balance of energy

early
Fantasy
2231st
6/30/2021 11:45am Edited Date/Time 6/30/2021 11:49am

Huh
Your graphic also states that inactive sun drive jet streams to the equatoe, not to the poles.
6/30/2021 11:53am

early wrote:
:huh: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/06/30/500023/s1200_Screenshot_20210630_144432_Chrome.jpg[/img] Your graphic also states that inactive sun drive jet streams to the equatoe, not to the poles.
Huh
Your graphic also states that inactive sun drive jet streams to the equatoe, not to the poles.
the earth system could be losing energy, but it could also just be relative to previous years.

more incoming energy gives tighter jet streams, less incoming energy gives jet streams that oscillate further.

Im not exactly sure what your getting at, are you trying to say the sun spot activity does not affect our jet stream?

also, its not inconceivable that currently the earth system is losing energy overall.
6/30/2021 12:10pm

exactly, but the stream travels further north and south carrying warm temps from the equator further north than usual, and cold air further south than normal.

if you follow whats happening with the climate you can see it happening, snowfalls/heatwaves that are unusual in date and location.
early
Fantasy
2231st
6/30/2021 12:19pm
the earth system could be losing energy, but it could also just be relative to previous years. more incoming energy gives tighter jet streams, less incoming...
the earth system could be losing energy, but it could also just be relative to previous years.

more incoming energy gives tighter jet streams, less incoming energy gives jet streams that oscillate further.

Im not exactly sure what your getting at, are you trying to say the sun spot activity does not affect our jet stream?

also, its not inconceivable that currently the earth system is losing energy overall.
I dont think these weather events can be explained exclusively by solar emmision. This may be a contributing factor, but we dont see pronounced 11 year cycles of weather events like this as you would expect if the 11 year solar cycle was the main driver. To say this is caused by the 11 year sun cycle is misleading.
lestat
6/30/2021 12:28pm
I’m currently close to the hottest area in Canada . Hit 44 yesterday , probably equal that today . Don’t even want to know how hot it is inside the welding/machine shop .
early
Fantasy
2231st
6/30/2021 12:41pm Edited Date/Time 6/30/2021 12:48pm
FWIW its summer here in the midwest, some days are hotter than others, nothing crazy so far.

Forecast shows a high of 81 and sunny at RedBud Saturday, should be a beautiful day for a race.
6/30/2021 12:58pm
the earth system could be losing energy, but it could also just be relative to previous years. more incoming energy gives tighter jet streams, less incoming...

early wrote:
I dont think these weather events can be explained exclusively by solar emmision. This may be a contributing factor, but we dont see pronounced 11 year...
I dont think these weather events can be explained exclusively by solar emmision. This may be a contributing factor, but we dont see pronounced 11 year cycles of weather events like this as you would expect if the 11 year solar cycle was the main driver. To say this is caused by the 11 year sun cycle is misleading.
thats because its not just an 11 year cycle, which is why i mentioned the grand solar minimum. you can clearly see that the sun spot activity is much lower recently, similar to 100 years ago... and if you dont think these types of weather patterns have happened before, you should look into it. Not all records are being broken.. some record highs are, and some record lows are.

anyhow, i didnt come here to argue.. just to shed some light on why these high temps are making their way further north than usual. As far as i know its pretty well established. Also, if you pay attention you will also notice cooler weather that makes its way further south, or that is unseasonal.

G-man
6/30/2021 1:02pm
Seat bounce theory? Cheerful
6/30/2021 1:06pm
i would also point out that the chart you shared shows a drop off in the global land ocean temp anomaly the past 4 years, but is hard to notice because of the big red ball and black line.

6/30/2021 10:35pm
Broke down again this time in Dallas, a little warm and mugging not too bad. Coping with crap from work is another thing. 2 shop office Russians texting mechanics to come in and start crap, so 5 of them are acting like there the mob. Freakin joke, along with the assigned truck that’s broke down, b4 I drive it. I take another trk to a Chicago shop, they won’t pick me up . I get my own ride back. My co. Shop locks the the cab with the key inside, I text him to get me the key from the shop. He won’t , he wouldn’t give me that key early. I adjust the trailer brakes, wrong slack adjuster is on it. That broke today- no trl brakes, trk broke down again. My shop guy is letting me hang. Just hang out all day with other drivers. One older black driver said f it, I,m renting a car and driving home. I told him I wish I could scream everything inside of me out and reverse the last 54 yrs. being ripped off , driving a death trk , beaten to hell. Drivers are just fed up.
Rooster
7/1/2021 11:37am
We hit record lows back in February, which is normally when we get our lowest temps of the year. It was damn cold, but it didn't last very long before we back to some abnormally high winter temps.

Then we're setting all time record temps in a part of the season where we're not usually seeing our hottest temperatures, and it's lasting 10 days to two weeks rather than a couple of days of weird weather.

But yeah, it's like nobody could have predicted this. I really wish somebody could have warned this this was coming and could explain why we're seeing this constant gradual rise in average temperatures.
TunaBro
7/1/2021 1:59pm
Wife and I had AC installed in April. Solid move I would say. Whistling
GabeM
7/1/2021 2:04pm Edited Date/Time 7/1/2021 2:04pm
I put my beers in the freezer for about 15 minutes before I crack em open and drink em
7/3/2021 9:34pm
GabeM wrote:
I put my beers in the freezer for about 15 minutes before I crack em open and drink em
Faster way to chill a warm beer, is too spin the can in ice water.
GabeM
7/4/2021 8:10am
GabeM wrote:
Faster way to chill a warm beer, is too spin the can in ice water.
Thanks, I think that will come in handy

Post a reply to: How you guys coping in the heat wave

The Latest