How the Universe is Way Bigger Than You Think

NorCal 50+
8/21/2018 10:57pm
With those kind of numbers it seems mathematically impossible that their wouldn't be life on another planet. Things don't usually happen just once in nature. But we are so small and insignificant I seriously doubt any aliens have ever visited us, no matter how good their technology.
That is, unless we are an experimental ant farm run by aliens who live on the far side of the moon. Then they would know where to find us. Unsure
hard2kill
8/22/2018 10:53am
NorCal 50+ wrote:
With those kind of numbers it seems mathematically impossible that their wouldn't be life on another planet. Things don't usually happen just once in nature. But...
With those kind of numbers it seems mathematically impossible that their wouldn't be life on another planet. Things don't usually happen just once in nature. But we are so small and insignificant I seriously doubt any aliens have ever visited us, no matter how good their technology.
That is, unless we are an experimental ant farm run by aliens who live on the far side of the moon. Then they would know where to find us. Unsure
Lots of presuppositional ideas in this thread. Before we determine that it is "mathematically impossible that their wouldn't be life on another planet." I think we should first look at the possibilities of the beginning of life. Obviously it is possible as we are here, but ironically it is also mathematically impossible by any method we have been able to put forth outside of the supernatural. We do not have the capability within ourselves to "reason" it. Most of the logic being put forth while grounded in "science" is more often built upon vain imaginations. Not a dig just an observation, some area's of "science" are often just as religious as religion.
early
Fantasy
2212th
8/22/2018 10:57am
hard2kill wrote:
Lots of presuppositional ideas in this thread. Before we determine that it is "mathematically impossible that their wouldn't be life on another planet." I think we...
Lots of presuppositional ideas in this thread. Before we determine that it is "mathematically impossible that their wouldn't be life on another planet." I think we should first look at the possibilities of the beginning of life. Obviously it is possible as we are here, but ironically it is also mathematically impossible by any method we have been able to put forth outside of the supernatural. We do not have the capability within ourselves to "reason" it. Most of the logic being put forth while grounded in "science" is more often built upon vain imaginations. Not a dig just an observation, some area's of "science" are often just as religious as religion.
Is there any reason to believe that the "thing" that made life happen on Earth only happened here and not somewhere else also?
akillerwombat
8/22/2018 11:35am Edited Date/Time 8/22/2018 11:38am
You think we're small as earth located in our universe, we're the only "our earth" in what could be infinite other earths in infinite other universes.

Sure makes the place seem laughably unimportant in the big picture but extremely important in ours.

The Shop

JAFO92
8/22/2018 12:31pm
You think we're small as earth located in our universe, we're the only "our earth" in what could be infinite other earths in infinite other universes...
You think we're small as earth located in our universe, we're the only "our earth" in what could be infinite other earths in infinite other universes.

Sure makes the place seem laughably unimportant in the big picture but extremely important in ours.
Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
To the last syllable of recorded time,
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Shiftfaced
8/22/2018 1:52pm
They say the universe is still expanding.

Does that mean traffic will be a lot better in the future?
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
8/22/2018 4:25pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Yes sir , you are correct. I believe it's a lot harder for us to actually see through our own galaxy , because of all the...
Yes sir , you are correct.

I believe it's a lot harder for us to actually see through our own galaxy , because of all the other object's and gas that are in the way. But looking out of our galaxy , we see to be able to get a clearer picture.

What's your guy's opinion's on possible other intelligent life on other planet's , that could of formed thousaund's , if not million's of years ahead of us? I mean , seriously think about it......if our universe is around 13.7 billion years old , and us ( human's ) are only about 30,000 year's old , which is absolutely no time at all. It's like a blink of an eye in a time period of 13.7 billion years. Look at the advancement's in technology Human's have made in just the last 100 years , compared to the 30,000 years we have been on this planet. It's literally crazy to think about how we have exponentially advanced in that amount of time.

I also remember reading an article saying that they thought our galaxy ( the Milky way ) was basically in mid-life. Plenty of newer , younger galaxies , but many which were a lot more matured and older. Even having intelligent life form 10 million years before us......is still hardly any time at all.
borg wrote:
Since I am inclined to believe that we are the result of random mutilation, then yes. It is easily conceivable that life has developed elsewhere in...
Since I am inclined to believe that we are the result of random mutilation, then yes. It is easily conceivable that life has developed elsewhere in the universe. You seem to have accepted the assertion that the universe is 13.7 billion years old. I do not. That assertion is a product of our human constraint to believe that our universe had to have a beginning. There are things that we are not able to comprehend. Science is the process of superseding theories.
It's a pretty well accepted theory that the universe is expanding outward. Steven Hawking inferred that the universe must therefore have had a beginning, since if you ran time backward, the expansion would contract into a single point, i.e., a beginning. Somehow they came up with 13 billion years... maybe so, maybe not, but it sure seems like there was a beginning of some kind.

The kind of questions I always ponder are like: "What happened before the beginning? What will happen in a trillion years?

They say that at some point in the future, no stars will be visible, because they will be so distant from one another that the time it takes for light to travel between them will be longer than the age of the universe. Dizzy I'm not sure how to wrap my mind around that one.
SCR
8/22/2018 5:09pm
If the universe has a wall at the end then there is some thing beyond or outside. If it goes on forever then I think there is still something else beyond or outside of it . For anything to exist or be there it has to have something else separate from it as a reference or as an observer. We can't understand it but for it to exist I think there has to be an intelligence that understands every last bit of it.
TXDirt
8/22/2018 5:10pm
I'm not a believer in the multi-verse as it's been proposed thus far.

If you think of things on a macro level.... I'm here, and in an alternate universe there is another me, but wearing a yellow shirt, but a guy in china is wearing blue. If you take these combinations out as far as you can think of, it would be so infinitely impossible to have so many combinations. You have to think about every combination possible across all the world. Take it down to a micro level and think of how angel falls water fall splashes in different directions. In some of those directions on the other side of the country I'm wearing a yellow shirt, but in other water drop combinations I'm wearing blue. Just take these combinations out to infinity.

Wild stuff for sure....
TXDirt
8/22/2018 5:30pm
Falcon wrote:
It's a pretty well accepted theory that the universe is expanding outward. Steven Hawking inferred that the universe must therefore have had a beginning, since if...
It's a pretty well accepted theory that the universe is expanding outward. Steven Hawking inferred that the universe must therefore have had a beginning, since if you ran time backward, the expansion would contract into a single point, i.e., a beginning. Somehow they came up with 13 billion years... maybe so, maybe not, but it sure seems like there was a beginning of some kind.

The kind of questions I always ponder are like: "What happened before the beginning? What will happen in a trillion years?

They say that at some point in the future, no stars will be visible, because they will be so distant from one another that the time it takes for light to travel between them will be longer than the age of the universe. Dizzy I'm not sure how to wrap my mind around that one.
Personally, I don't think humans can even measure accurately how old/young/far the universe is. Those are human descriptions and measurements that may not even be applicable when it comes to the universe. "Time" and "Space" measurements are purely human constructs.

It's possible the beginning was the end and the end was the beginning. Meaning there has never been and end or a beginning.

And of course if there was a "beginning", well what was there before that?

What's crazy is if you look at all of the matter in the universe, the billions of galaxies, the trillions of universes, etc, where the fuck did all that matter come from?

Pretty cool stuff....
hard2kill
8/22/2018 6:57pm
Falcon wrote:
It's a pretty well accepted theory that the universe is expanding outward. Steven Hawking inferred that the universe must therefore have had a beginning, since if...

TXDirt wrote:
Personally, I don't think humans can even measure accurately how old/young/far the universe is. Those are human descriptions and measurements that may not even be applicable...
Personally, I don't think humans can even measure accurately how old/young/far the universe is. Those are human descriptions and measurements that may not even be applicable when it comes to the universe. "Time" and "Space" measurements are purely human constructs.

It's possible the beginning was the end and the end was the beginning. Meaning there has never been and end or a beginning.

And of course if there was a "beginning", well what was there before that?

What's crazy is if you look at all of the matter in the universe, the billions of galaxies, the trillions of universes, etc, where the fuck did all that matter come from?

Pretty cool stuff....
It is also said that at some point in the future the expansion of the universe will lead to the "scientific conclusion" that the universe is static

Lawrence Krauss and Robert Scherrer conducted research showing where the study of cosmology could potentially lead to in 100 billion years. Their essay was titled “The Return of a Static Universe and the End of Cosmology,” They concluded that in the far future due to the expansion, cosmologist would no longer be capable of accurately studying the universe leading them to the incorrect conclusion that the universe is static. They talk about what a special time we live in which we have been granted a view into these things. However what Krauss and Scherrer fail to recognize throughout their research is that perhaps we are the ones today who not capable of accurately studying the universe.

Take "light years" for example how can we take a measure of light as a yard stick for distance when we are not even sure how to measure light. Is it a particle or a wave? Both they say. But we can not put a distance of measure on a wave, it can be in a specific place and everyplace all at the same time, it is infinite in nature. The speed of light was long ago also thought to be infinite now we have placed it at 186000 miles per second (measuring it as a particle in a vacuum). Even if it is truly measurable how can we been certain that this is the correct measurement, and not simply the highest possible speed at which WE are able to measure as we have never measured anything any faster? (Don't even get me started on Tachyons, special relativity, and quantum mechanics haha.)

Light could be going faster then what we are capable of capturing and coincidentally in its wave nature perhaps it is not really moving at all, but acting in an eternal state. Now if we apply these ideas to cosmology we could suppose that stars and galaxies could be as infinitely close as they are far away. The universe could be as small as it is big. Not in a retaliative way but in a real way which we are incapable of perceiving.
hard2kill
8/22/2018 7:06pm
early wrote:
Is there any reason to believe that the "thing" that made life happen on Earth only happened here and not somewhere else also?
Yes i believe their is, although i don't think most of us want to or are willing to (either consciously or subconsciously) explore those reasons.
Mr. G
8/22/2018 8:41pm
How can they possibly know how big we are thinking it is? Pretty bold.
Mr. G
8/22/2018 8:43pm
They don't even address the observation effect during the double slit experiment. They just make sure nobody it looking instead of noticing a seniority that answers a lot of questions.
early
Fantasy
2212th
8/22/2018 8:48pm
Although modern science may not have complete answers to some of the big questions (how did the universe start, where does it end, what is the exact speed of light, etc) our understanding of the basic concepts of physics and chemistry are pretty solid and there isn't a reason to believe that they would be different anywhere else in the universe (except maybe near a black hole). It's fascinating to me that 10 galaxies away is a planet where the same elements exist as here on Earth, gravity relative to mass is the same, and F=ma.

@hard2kill
I'm certainly no expert, but are there specific passages that definitively say life was created only on Earth? Could the book of Genesis be interpreted to be applied to other world's as well?
hard2kill
8/23/2018 10:12am
early wrote:
Although modern science may not have complete answers to some of the big questions (how did the universe start, where does it end, what is the...
Although modern science may not have complete answers to some of the big questions (how did the universe start, where does it end, what is the exact speed of light, etc) our understanding of the basic concepts of physics and chemistry are pretty solid and there isn't a reason to believe that they would be different anywhere else in the universe (except maybe near a black hole). It's fascinating to me that 10 galaxies away is a planet where the same elements exist as here on Earth, gravity relative to mass is the same, and F=ma.

@hard2kill
I'm certainly no expert, but are there specific passages that definitively say life was created only on Earth? Could the book of Genesis be interpreted to be applied to other world's as well?
Depends on how you want to interpret it. The bible is clear that Angels were created to abide in the heavenly realm, While mankind was created for earth. I would say that it is also clear that this is the extent of "life" angels in heaven and mankind on earth. However an angel is a spirit (unseen) not a flesh and blood or organism type of life. On the face of it a scientific minded person might be inclined to reject those notions as superstitious or foolishness. But in reality science has also embraced these ideas, they just call it quantum physics, which is really just a study of the spiritual world. It used to be called sorcery in some circles. Just as Galileo has often been called the father of modern science, John Dee could be considered the father of quantum mechanics.
hard2kill
8/23/2018 10:37am
early wrote:
Although modern science may not have complete answers to some of the big questions (how did the universe start, where does it end, what is the...

@hard2kill
early said "It's fascinating to me that 10 galaxies away is a planet where the same elements exist as here on Earth,"

While it MAY be true these are pretty bold claims being made. Did you know that out of the billions of discovered planets no one has actually ever physically viewed a single planet orbiting any star through any means, not even by the Hubble or James Webb telescope. The "discovery of these planets is based on conclusions drawn upon presuppositions about the interaction of, guess what LIGHT something that advanced science is admittedly yet to understand.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
8/23/2018 10:52am
Hard2Kill, I'm interested in you approach to theology and science.

For me, lots of science supports religious views. When they talk about 10 dimensions, subatomic particles, multiverses, etc., it really implies to me that we are only able to truly understand the 4 dimensions we can actually perceive. Perhaps that's all we were meant to understand.
Although I believe the Bible is more parable than actual fact, it's funny how science almost always leads me back to God.
early
Fantasy
2212th
8/23/2018 11:02am
early wrote:

@hard2kill
hard2kill wrote:
early said "It's fascinating to me that 10 galaxies away is a planet where the same elements exist as here on Earth," While it MAY be...
early said "It's fascinating to me that 10 galaxies away is a planet where the same elements exist as here on Earth,"

While it MAY be true these are pretty bold claims being made. Did you know that out of the billions of discovered planets no one has actually ever physically viewed a single planet orbiting any star through any means, not even by the Hubble or James Webb telescope. The "discovery of these planets is based on conclusions drawn upon presuppositions about the interaction of, guess what LIGHT something that advanced science is admittedly yet to understand.
As my previous post claims, I choose to believe that physics and chemistry are not exclusive to our planet or solar system. I don't have a problem with extrapolating observations of planets, moons, asteroids etc that we have been able to achieve to the rest of the universe regardless of the current limitations of observation. Just going outside and seeing the moon, Mars, Jupiter, the milky way, all the stars with the naked eye is enough for me to assume there are similar locales out there.
early
Fantasy
2212th
8/23/2018 11:18am
early wrote:

@hard2kill
hard2kill wrote:
Depends on how you want to interpret it. The bible is clear that Angels were created to abide in the heavenly realm, While mankind was created...
Depends on how you want to interpret it. The bible is clear that Angels were created to abide in the heavenly realm, While mankind was created for earth. I would say that it is also clear that this is the extent of "life" angels in heaven and mankind on earth. However an angel is a spirit (unseen) not a flesh and blood or organism type of life. On the face of it a scientific minded person might be inclined to reject those notions as superstitious or foolishness. But in reality science has also embraced these ideas, they just call it quantum physics, which is really just a study of the spiritual world. It used to be called sorcery in some circles. Just as Galileo has often been called the father of modern science, John Dee could be considered the father of quantum mechanics.
I guess what I was getting at is that given that a more liberal interpretation of Genesis is at greater peace with modern science (loosening of literal 24 hour creation days) since the cellestial bodies were made before the beasts of the sea and land could they not have been created on some of those celestial bodies not just the Earth? Not talking about man but just life. Of course this is assuming other planets exist and not just stars.
hard2kill
8/23/2018 11:40am
Falcon wrote:
Hard2Kill, I'm interested in you approach to theology and science. For me, lots of science supports religious views. When they talk about 10 dimensions, subatomic particles...

For me, lots of science supports religious views. When they talk about 10 dimensions, subatomic particles, multiverses, etc., it really implies to me that we are only able to truly understand the 4 dimensions we can actually perceive. Perhaps that's all we were meant to understand.
Although I believe the Bible is more parable than actual fact, it's funny how science almost always leads me back to God.
It has been said that when scientist finally reach the pinnacle of knowledge they will be greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.

The study of these things often reminds me of the following scripture:

1 Corinthians 13:9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

I find the term used here (seeing through a glass darkly) quite interesting considering it was written nearly 1600 years before the invention of the telescope.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
8/23/2018 11:47am
Good stuff. Smile
TXDirt
8/23/2018 2:15pm
Falcon wrote:
Hard2Kill, I'm interested in you approach to theology and science. For me, lots of science supports religious views. When they talk about 10 dimensions, subatomic particles...

hard2kill wrote:
It has been said that when scientist finally reach the pinnacle of knowledge they will be greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting...
It has been said that when scientist finally reach the pinnacle of knowledge they will be greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.

The study of these things often reminds me of the following scripture:

1 Corinthians 13:9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

I find the term used here (seeing through a glass darkly) quite interesting considering it was written nearly 1600 years before the invention of the telescope.
Really interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Mossy
8/24/2018 11:18am
jeffro503 wrote:
Yes sir , you are correct. I believe it's a lot harder for us to actually see through our own galaxy , because of all the...
Yes sir , you are correct.

I believe it's a lot harder for us to actually see through our own galaxy , because of all the other object's and gas that are in the way. But looking out of our galaxy , we see to be able to get a clearer picture.

What's your guy's opinion's on possible other intelligent life on other planet's , that could of formed thousaund's , if not million's of years ahead of us? I mean , seriously think about it......if our universe is around 13.7 billion years old , and us ( human's ) are only about 30,000 year's old , which is absolutely no time at all. It's like a blink of an eye in a time period of 13.7 billion years. Look at the advancement's in technology Human's have made in just the last 100 years , compared to the 30,000 years we have been on this planet. It's literally crazy to think about how we have exponentially advanced in that amount of time.

I also remember reading an article saying that they thought our galaxy ( the Milky way ) was basically in mid-life. Plenty of newer , younger galaxies , but many which were a lot more matured and older. Even having intelligent life form 10 million years before us......is still hardly any time at all.
borg wrote:
Since I am inclined to believe that we are the result of random mutilation, then yes. It is easily conceivable that life has developed elsewhere in...
Since I am inclined to believe that we are the result of random mutilation, then yes. It is easily conceivable that life has developed elsewhere in the universe. You seem to have accepted the assertion that the universe is 13.7 billion years old. I do not. That assertion is a product of our human constraint to believe that our universe had to have a beginning. There are things that we are not able to comprehend. Science is the process of superseding theories.
What are you guys talking about. God created the world and universe. You all think all of this is hundreds of thousands of years old, I see you’ve forgotten who our creator is. Just kidding Woohoo

It really is mind boggling when you think of it. Makes me want to go watch the movie Interstellar. If you haven’t, please do. It will leave you brainstorming about this stuff for the rest of the day.

I agree that the universe and the other things that exist, are things that humans just can’t comprehend. Maybe we will evolve in the future and be able to comprehend these things, but at this time, we just can’t.

Fascinating really. I also like thinking of what happens when we die. As someone who believes in an afterlife, I don’t believe in a heaven or hell, but another dimension, your energy is released, and it’s just something we can’t comprehend as well.

I know that I don’t want us meeting any aliens in my life time. Think about this. If we discovered another existing civilized species on another planet, and they were not quite as smart or advanced as us. Let’s say there technology was early 1900’s era. What would we do with them? And let’s say they had resources we could really really use and found them valuable. We would obviously take advantage and take them with or without force. Therefore, if we find an alien race smarter than us, I think we are somewhat fucked.

It really wasn’t long ago we were fighting with swords and suits of armor, seiging castles with catapults and army’s of swordsmen over things that weren’t worth fighting about. Think about how short your life is. I’m 22, and I feel like yesterday I graduated high school at 18. 40 is gonna come quick lol. But think about your ancestors, and it’s like this. Let’s say average age throughout the past 700 years is 50. About 15 lifetimes ago we were in the mid 1200’s medieval warfare. 400 years ago we were settlers, pilgrims, and indians. That’s only 8 lifetimes. Life’s so quick. Mind blown PinchGrinning
borg
8/24/2018 6:29pm
Mossy wrote:
What are you guys talking about. God created the world and universe. You all think all of this is hundreds of thousands of years old, I...
What are you guys talking about. God created the world and universe. You all think all of this is hundreds of thousands of years old, I see you’ve forgotten who our creator is. Just kidding Woohoo

It really is mind boggling when you think of it. Makes me want to go watch the movie Interstellar. If you haven’t, please do. It will leave you brainstorming about this stuff for the rest of the day.

I agree that the universe and the other things that exist, are things that humans just can’t comprehend. Maybe we will evolve in the future and be able to comprehend these things, but at this time, we just can’t.

Fascinating really. I also like thinking of what happens when we die. As someone who believes in an afterlife, I don’t believe in a heaven or hell, but another dimension, your energy is released, and it’s just something we can’t comprehend as well.

I know that I don’t want us meeting any aliens in my life time. Think about this. If we discovered another existing civilized species on another planet, and they were not quite as smart or advanced as us. Let’s say there technology was early 1900’s era. What would we do with them? And let’s say they had resources we could really really use and found them valuable. We would obviously take advantage and take them with or without force. Therefore, if we find an alien race smarter than us, I think we are somewhat fucked.

It really wasn’t long ago we were fighting with swords and suits of armor, seiging castles with catapults and army’s of swordsmen over things that weren’t worth fighting about. Think about how short your life is. I’m 22, and I feel like yesterday I graduated high school at 18. 40 is gonna come quick lol. But think about your ancestors, and it’s like this. Let’s say average age throughout the past 700 years is 50. About 15 lifetimes ago we were in the mid 1200’s medieval warfare. 400 years ago we were settlers, pilgrims, and indians. That’s only 8 lifetimes. Life’s so quick. Mind blown PinchGrinning
Wow! 22.You have a lot of shit to live through. Any time somebody starts a thread about the cosmos you cant help but think about it. Thinking about it can either clear your head or clutter it up. I used to like taking trips to the desert here in California with my telescope. Those trips tended to clear my head. I would look around and up and notice how insignificant I really was. Damn if the Sun did not rise and set in my ass. It cleared my head. Gave me focus. I like focus and a clear head.

Hopefully, you find your formula for staying grounded. You're going to need it.
Mossy
8/25/2018 1:25pm
Mossy wrote:
What are you guys talking about. God created the world and universe. You all think all of this is hundreds of thousands of years old, I...

borg wrote:
Wow! 22.You have a lot of shit to live through. Any time somebody starts a thread about the cosmos you cant help but think about it...
Wow! 22.You have a lot of shit to live through. Any time somebody starts a thread about the cosmos you cant help but think about it. Thinking about it can either clear your head or clutter it up. I used to like taking trips to the desert here in California with my telescope. Those trips tended to clear my head. I would look around and up and notice how insignificant I really was. Damn if the Sun did not rise and set in my ass. It cleared my head. Gave me focus. I like focus and a clear head.

Hopefully, you find your formula for staying grounded. You're going to need it.
I know. I think it’s funny because I work with a lot of 40-50 year old dudes and they are always saying “man what I would give to be 22.” And I sometimes say “man it’d be cool to be 16 again!” Grinning 6 years goes by quick. We all say the same thing throughout life though. Bigger and better things ahead! Cool and lots of moto
m121c
8/26/2018 2:41pm
Throw this thread out, you're all wrong, the earth is flat.

/sarcasm

Man, this is like the 10 minute discussions we have before each one of our physics classes at my University lol. It amazes me just how truly brilliant (and mildy insane maybe? Laughing ) the scientists were that developed our modern knowledge of our unique (to us) world.

Post a reply to: How the Universe is Way Bigger Than You Think

The Latest