Edited Date/Time 8/26/2018 2:41pm
Pretty cool video. Happy Friday!

https://youtu.be/Iy7NzjCmUf0
|
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
8/17/2018 1:09pm
Thanks, Maverick. I hit submit before I remembered I could embed, and then the edit function wouldn't let me use the buttons.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
8/17/2018 1:19pm
Falcon wrote:
Thanks, Maverick. I hit submit before I remembered I could embed, and then the edit function wouldn't let me use the buttons.
When that happens just go where you write a post, embed it there, after that copy it, return to your original post, click edit, remove everything and paste the code followed by save.

The Shop

Ebs
8/17/2018 2:32pm Edited Date/Time 8/17/2018 2:34pm
This one is really well done, pretty mind blowing stuff. Worth the few minute watch to sit down and go full screen.

jeffro503
8/17/2018 6:32pm
TXDirt wrote:
Pretty cool video. Happy Friday! https://youtu.be/Iy7NzjCmUf0

I simply love anything to do with this kind of stuff. This is a great video too btw TX. Watching it from beginning to end , you can start to get lost in the actual numbers ( distance ) between us and everything else.

My old science teacher told me many , many years ago , that if you truly want to know the size of the earth , or how it compares to all the other planet's and stars out there , and how many we " think " are out there.......just simply walk onto a large ocean beach , pick up one grain of sand , and you'll be pretty close. Because adding all those planet's and star's together is about passing an actual number.....it's about infinity. One thing in this video is the little yellow square that they show about 1/2 through.......and that little square is how far we have actually been able to see out with the tools we have available. Basically , like looking out your front window across the street.

This stuff has always amazed me. Makes you wonder , and something I have always thought about. Our civilization ( as far as we can tell ) goes back about 30,000 years. What " if " , in older galaxies ( or maybe even our own? ) intelligent life started 1,000 , 10,000 , a million , 100 million years or more before we did? And if they are alive.......what kind of science have they developed? And if they are out there.......is the vastness of space so large that none of us will ever be able to communicate? Has it already happened with other planets that harbor life? I wish I could be around in 10,000 years to see what we find.
sende
Fantasy
4455th
8/18/2018 1:32am Edited Date/Time 8/18/2018 4:19am
This stuff is always fascinating. Milky way alone is 100 000 light years across and contains 100 billion stars.
100 billion. Keep in mind that 1 million seconds is about 11 days. 1 billion seconds though is about 31,5 years. Billion is a big number and it's commonly represented in the known universe.
KMC440
8/18/2018 4:01am
They did another one of those "deep space" looks with the electronic telescopes recently. I read that basically they pinpointed another dark spot in the stars over a few months time and the resulting imagery showed thousands of more galaxies even further that Hubble showed. This from basically the tip of a needle in the night sky. They've now said they're going to change the billions to trillions in terms of galaxies that are out there.

I'm here to tell you, since space is endless, so is the number of galaxies.
borg
8/18/2018 6:13am
TXDirt wrote:

jeffro503 wrote:
I simply love anything to do with this kind of stuff. This is a great video too btw TX. Watching it from beginning to end...
I simply love anything to do with this kind of stuff. This is a great video too btw TX. Watching it from beginning to end , you can start to get lost in the actual numbers ( distance ) between us and everything else.

My old science teacher told me many , many years ago , that if you truly want to know the size of the earth , or how it compares to all the other planet's and stars out there , and how many we " think " are out there.......just simply walk onto a large ocean beach , pick up one grain of sand , and you'll be pretty close. Because adding all those planet's and star's together is about passing an actual number.....it's about infinity. One thing in this video is the little yellow square that they show about 1/2 through.......and that little square is how far we have actually been able to see out with the tools we have available. Basically , like looking out your front window across the street.

This stuff has always amazed me. Makes you wonder , and something I have always thought about. Our civilization ( as far as we can tell ) goes back about 30,000 years. What " if " , in older galaxies ( or maybe even our own? ) intelligent life started 1,000 , 10,000 , a million , 100 million years or more before we did? And if they are alive.......what kind of science have they developed? And if they are out there.......is the vastness of space so large that none of us will ever be able to communicate? Has it already happened with other planets that harbor life? I wish I could be around in 10,000 years to see what we find.
What he said about the little yellow box was a bit confusing. It probably represents the farthest distinguishable star we can see with the naked eye which is about 7500 light years away. It is by no means the farthest we can see. Andromeda galaxy is visible to the naked eye and is 4 million light years away.
MR. X
8/18/2018 6:45am
It will always just be the unknown to us . The speculation of what is also out there is fun.
early
Fantasy
2231st
8/18/2018 7:14am
Last weekend i was outside watching the perseid meteor shower (saw 3) and I was thinking about this very same thing. Mars is very close to the Earth right now so it's big and bright in the sky. I was thinking about the rovers that are buried in the dust on Mars, maybe humans will go there in my lifetime (40-50 years). I'm all for it. I'm hoping that if this whole Space Force thing happens then defense money can be spent on manned space missions and NASA can continue which their unmanned space probe and Rover projects. I'm saying this in a completely nonpolitical context. Anyway, the universe is a beautiful thing, find a dark place and go stare into it for a while. Think about your place in it, your past family, your future family, mankind, aliens, black holes, galaxies. Appreciate being the speck you are.
TXDirt
8/18/2018 8:01am
This is a great one here too. Shows how "small" we can go up to how big things are. Pretty cool to see how deep we have been able to go on the scale.

https://youtu.be/isppUA0MZmw
lestat
8/18/2018 8:26am
KMC440 wrote:
They did another one of those "deep space" looks with the electronic telescopes recently. I read that basically they pinpointed another dark spot in the stars...
They did another one of those "deep space" looks with the electronic telescopes recently. I read that basically they pinpointed another dark spot in the stars over a few months time and the resulting imagery showed thousands of more galaxies even further that Hubble showed. This from basically the tip of a needle in the night sky. They've now said they're going to change the billions to trillions in terms of galaxies that are out there.

Your last sentence got me thinking (it happens occasionally) .... is space endless ? How do we know ? Is “infinite” a real thing or just a convenient math construct ? Can the theory of infinity be proven ? It is always assumed to be a fact but I am starting to question our level of understanding .
TXDirt
8/18/2018 9:28am
TXDirt wrote:

jeffro503 wrote:
I simply love anything to do with this kind of stuff. This is a great video too btw TX. Watching it from beginning to end...

It’s fun to get lost in all of it. So much we don’t know. And all we can do is attach human descriptions and thoughts to describe what it could be. I love the his subject and watch and read about it constantly.
TXDirt
8/18/2018 9:32am
KMC440 wrote:
They did another one of those "deep space" looks with the electronic telescopes recently. I read that basically they pinpointed another dark spot in the stars...

lestat wrote:
Your last sentence got me thinking (it happens occasionally) .... is space endless ? How do we know ? Is “infinite” a real thing or just...
Your last sentence got me thinking (it happens occasionally) .... is space endless ? How do we know ? Is “infinite” a real thing or just a convenient math construct ? Can the theory of infinity be proven ? It is always assumed to be a fact but I am starting to question our level of understanding .
Back in one of my early calculus classes in college there is a math equation which you can solve for. The question was basically .9999999 to infinity equals what? And the answer is 1.

Blew my mind at the time lol
Ebs
8/18/2018 9:54am
Yeah, it's pretty wild. If traveling at the speed of light it only takes one day to get out of our solar system, but to get outside our galaxy at that speed it would take 100,000 years of travel.

And then you still haven't gotten anywhere far in the grand scale of things.
MR. X
8/18/2018 9:58am
KMC440 wrote:

lestat wrote:
Your last sentence got me thinking (it happens occasionally) .... is space endless ? How do we know ? Is “infinite” a real thing or just...
If space is truly infinite ,that could mean that somewhere else at the same exact time , a MR X just typed the same message to the same recipient with the name lestat
8/18/2018 12:01pm Edited Date/Time 8/18/2018 12:02pm
KMC440 wrote:

lestat wrote:
MR. X wrote:
If space is truly infinite ,that could mean that somewhere else at the same exact time , a MR X just typed the same message to...
If space is truly infinite ,that could mean that somewhere else at the same exact time , a MR X just typed the same message to the same recipient with the name lestat
Yep.

Look at wash gravel. Comes in different colors. A grey stone. A white stone and a tan stone. Those 3 clusters appear together at different points on a wash gravel bed. Now the more complex the pattern the father you have to look on that gravel bed. But it’s probably there. Say a 9 rock cluster with the same color all touching one another. You’ll have to walk all over that gravel bed but I bet eventually you’ll find another 9 Rock cluster.

Now take what mr x just said and that 9 rock cluster become a 9 million rock cluster. Rare but probably out there....just gotta find it .
scooter5002
8/18/2018 12:47pm
Given the sheer size of what’s out there, imagine this: another planet, somewhere, billions of light years away, where idiots sit on computers, arguing about EVERYTHING, including how korplonkle racers will do at the next event. Fascinating. This cannot be strictly a human feat, surely. Are we really the Alabama of the expanse?
8/18/2018 2:24pm
No but I believe that other intelligent life won’t be Playing football or baseball but I guarantee every intelligent life has some form of racing.
hillbilly
8/18/2018 3:34pm
The summer meteor shower suck,November,leonids

I bought a 4 inch Meade refractor back in ninety,just enuff to pis S you off.

So, I got a twenty inch reflector,it's on a Newtonian type mount but that made it cheap .

When looking at andromea it is just awsome,I highly recommend a scope,even in the city you can see planets.

Right now at sunset venus is fartherest west then Jupiter a little easy and Saturn in the east.

Look up at sunset,first ",stars" out are those three planets.

You can see jupiters tour moons with decicent binoculars
8/18/2018 8:57pm
Yea we might all be bacteria in the crevices of some huge intergalactic gorilla. Just waitin for him to use so some soap.
jeffro503
8/19/2018 4:04pm
TXDirt wrote:

jeffro503 wrote:

borg wrote:
What he said about the little yellow box was a bit confusing. It probably represents the farthest distinguishable star we can see with the naked eye...
What he said about the little yellow box was a bit confusing. It probably represents the farthest distinguishable star we can see with the naked eye which is about 7500 light years away. It is by no means the farthest we can see. Andromeda galaxy is visible to the naked eye and is 4 million light years away.
Yes sir , you are correct.

I believe it's a lot harder for us to actually see through our own galaxy , because of all the other object's and gas that are in the way. But looking out of our galaxy , we see to be able to get a clearer picture.

What's your guy's opinion's on possible other intelligent life on other planet's , that could of formed thousaund's , if not million's of years ahead of us? I mean , seriously think about it......if our universe is around 13.7 billion years old , and us ( human's ) are only about 30,000 year's old , which is absolutely no time at all. It's like a blink of an eye in a time period of 13.7 billion years. Look at the advancement's in technology Human's have made in just the last 100 years , compared to the 30,000 years we have been on this planet. It's literally crazy to think about how we have exponentially advanced in that amount of time.

I also remember reading an article saying that they thought our galaxy ( the Milky way ) was basically in mid-life. Plenty of newer , younger galaxies , but many which were a lot more matured and older. Even having intelligent life form 10 million years before us......is still hardly any time at all.
TXDirt
8/19/2018 5:29pm
jeffro503 wrote:

borg wrote:
What he said about the little yellow box was a bit confusing. It probably represents the farthest distinguishable star we can see with the naked eye...
jeffro503 wrote:
Yes sir , you are correct. I believe it's a lot harder for us to actually see through our own galaxy , because of all the...

I believe it's a lot harder for us to actually see through our own galaxy , because of all the other object's and gas that are in the way. But looking out of our galaxy , we see to be able to get a clearer picture.

What's your guy's opinion's on possible other intelligent life on other planet's , that could of formed thousaund's , if not million's of years ahead of us? I mean , seriously think about it......if our universe is around 13.7 billion years old , and us ( human's ) are only about 30,000 year's old , which is absolutely no time at all. It's like a blink of an eye in a time period of 13.7 billion years. Look at the advancement's in technology Human's have made in just the last 100 years , compared to the 30,000 years we have been on this planet. It's literally crazy to think about how we have exponentially advanced in that amount of time.

I also remember reading an article saying that they thought our galaxy ( the Milky way ) was basically in mid-life. Plenty of newer , younger galaxies , but many which were a lot more matured and older. Even having intelligent life form 10 million years before us......is still hardly any time at all.
Mathematically speaking there is a very high probability of some form of life within our own milky way.

What's interesting is our solar system travels at an average speed of 515,000 mph and at that speed it would take about 230 million years to travel all the way around the Milky Way.

The numbers are just mind boggling.

That's just within our own milky way.

There are hundreds of billions, perhaps hundreds of trillions of galaxies out there.

Awesome wonder.
sende
Fantasy
4455th
8/20/2018 7:12am
This is one of those mind bending videos too.

lestat
8/20/2018 11:22am
KMC440 wrote:

lestat wrote:
MR. X wrote:
If space is truly infinite ,that could mean that somewhere else at the same exact time , a MR X just typed the same message to...
Wouldn’t there be an infinite amount of MrX’s typing to an infinite amount of lestats ?
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
8/21/2018 4:20pm
KMC440 wrote:

lestat wrote:
TXDirt wrote:
Back in one of my early calculus classes in college there is a math equation which you can solve for. The question was basically .9999999 to...
Back in one of my early calculus classes in college there is a math equation which you can solve for. The question was basically .9999999 to infinity equals what? And the answer is 1.

Blew my mind at the time lol
This is the part that really torques my mind. And here's why:

The universe in this dimension is not infinite, if everything the scientists believe is true.

It began with a single point of no size and infinite mass that was situated nowhere and "no-when," then an awesome expansion of energy blossomed out in all directions. The expansion, called the Big Bang, expanded at speeds greater than the speed of light (even though that is impossible,) then slowed to its current rate of expansion, which is perhaps a significant portion of the speed of light. (This all sounds a heck of a lot like, "Let There Be Light" to me, but let's leave that discussion for another time.)
So, the physical universe, which I prefer to call "the limits of the 3rd dimension," has been expanding for roughly 13 billion years at speeds above and/or approaching the speed of light.... into what? There is an "edge" to the universe, but it doesn't exist in our dimension. Let that one warp your noodle for a minute.
borg
8/21/2018 8:53pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Yes sir , you are correct. I believe it's a lot harder for us to actually see through our own galaxy , because of all the...

Since I am inclined to believe that we are the result of random mutilation, then yes. It is easily conceivable that life has developed elsewhere in the universe. You seem to have accepted the assertion that the universe is 13.7 billion years old. I do not. That assertion is a product of our human constraint to believe that our universe had to have a beginning. There are things that we are not able to comprehend. Science is the process of superseding theories.

Post a reply to: How the Universe is Way Bigger Than You Think

The Latest