How is everyones city doing economy wise?

Brad460
Fantasy
780th
4/15/2018 9:19am
The market may feel similar in some areas but the 2008 crash was driven by the subprime lending shenanigans. They took the whole economy down.
Exactly- wrapping up those subprime mortgages and selling them as high quality investments sunk us..that being said what scheme have the investment folks got going on now that will be the next crisis to sink us?!
4/15/2018 11:44am
Gold and silver investment. Where they store it for you. And charge a fee to do so. So, Economy crashes...how you gettin your gold ? Bahahaha

Buy bullets. keep in your possession.
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
4/15/2018 12:07pm
we have had it good for the last 3 years, but house prices are insane, Auckland's average is close to a million NZ (700000 ish US) and Queenstown area is over that,

with a change of government last year it has slowed a bit, and they have just banned all new research and drilling for oil which will effect us down the track,

we had high immigration for the last 5 - 10 years which has seen massive pressure on housing, and we are apprantly 100,000 houses short still, which is good for me as I am in that industry,
Bry145
4/15/2018 2:56pm
KennyT wrote:
I’m not a market expert but I will give my opinion. I don’t feel it’s the same. Back then there were mortgages going to people that...
I’m not a market expert but I will give my opinion. I don’t feel it’s the same. Back then there were mortgages going to people that had no business buying homes. Anyone and everyone were being qualified by the banks to take on 30 year mortgages were they were upside down from the start. A lot of them were ARM’s and the buyers just did not understand the concept of those loans, or balloon payments. People couldn’t afford their payments, houses were short saled or foreclosed on and the market took a dump.

The real estate market, at least in desirable places, will always fluctuate up/down but if you follow it long enough you will see it always ends up higher than previous cycles. Right now it is high and it will most likely drop some at a point in time but it will recover and end up higher than we are now.
Bry145 wrote:
If less younger people are getting married and having kids, how will demand stay high for detached single-family homes? Gen. Y will be past their reproductive...
If less younger people are getting married and having kids, how will demand stay high for detached single-family homes?

Gen. Y will be past their reproductive windows by 2025 or so.

KennyT wrote:
I really can’t answer that as I do not take the time nor have any interest in the possibility of less younger people getting married and...
I really can’t answer that as I do not take the time nor have any interest in the possibility of less younger people getting married and having kids. Housing will always be desired and a necessity. We work/remodel massive estates and decent size homes for couples with zero kids, or people whose families are grown and gone. Yet they still want their house. I just don’t see the possibility of less younger people getting married/children having much of a impact on the housing market. Of course I’m getting older and not up on trends like I should be. Just my observation of house markets have fluctuated over the past 40 years or so. I was married/child at 18, bought 1st home at 19, been buying selling ever since. It’s always gone up/down but it’s always rebounded on the higher side in the long run
I think if less people are having kids for various reasons (birth control, abortion, hypergamy, women waiting too long, ect.) I see that eventually catching up to the housing market in the form of less future buyers and thus less demand. We have a lot of demographic momentum (thanks to immigration) but with declining birth rates that momentum is slowing down.

Also, many younger folks are living with parents until the age of 30, which I imagine would reduce demand.

Another thing to consider may be the mass migration when Boomers retire, as they may move somewhere less expensive to retain a similar standard of living when retired. If many want to sell high and leave an area all at once (such as So. Cal) that could create an abundance of supply all at once. And holy cow what if Social Security and Medicare have to reduce payments in the future to remain solvent. That could really affect housing.

I'm no expert but think demographic changes may hurt housing values in the future, come 2025 or so. The times, they are a changin'.

The Shop

APLMAN99
5/7/2018 4:20pm
seth505 wrote:
I'm interested to see as well. The place looked like a dump actually and they basically cleaned up the yard and put up a cute little...
I'm interested to see as well. The place looked like a dump actually and they basically cleaned up the yard and put up a cute little fence.
Holy cow, they almost got full asking price for the place! Sold for $690K. I looked at the Google street view images, and they definitely changed the exterior quite a bit and the interior looks like it's fairly fresh. Still made a pretty decent profit though, I'd think. Bought it for $450K 6 months earlier, rehabbed it a bit, sold it for $690K. Here are some of the "before" shots from Google street view

NorCal 50+
5/8/2018 10:17am Edited Date/Time 5/8/2018 10:23am
The market may feel similar in some areas but the 2008 crash was driven by the subprime lending shenanigans. They took the whole economy down.
Brad460 wrote:
Exactly- wrapping up those subprime mortgages and selling them as high quality investments sunk us..that being said what scheme have the investment folks got going on...
Exactly- wrapping up those subprime mortgages and selling them as high quality investments sunk us..that being said what scheme have the investment folks got going on now that will be the next crisis to sink us?!
Car loans are a big one. I did some research on default rates and they were going straight up. They basically just transferred the subprime mortgage approach to autos and started handing out loans to everybody.
Capital One had one program where they sent you a blank check that was good at your local dealer, but only for a new car. I know because I used the program back when I had shitty credit and left with a new truck, which I paid off. Interest rate wasn't bad either.
They know they can just re-pop the car if the loan goes bad, and they learned in the financial crisis that the government will step in if it all goes down. That's how our corporate welfare system works.

You haven't seen slackers until you come to California. My wife has this online friend who gave away her baby, doesn't work, lives with her Dad and spends all her time at group sex parties and doing drugs. She feels entitled to a check from the government to maintain this lifestyle- she actually said that. Another guy is really smart and I actually tried to hire him for something and he said he only does a certain kind of writing work that allows him to use his genius. These people have absolutely zero interest in earning a dollar. My brother is the same way- I have tried to pay him to do computer work but earning a dollar is against his religion. He gets a disability check and lives in poverty and that's good enough for him because he can sleep, drink coffee and surf the web all day. We are building a generation of slackers with the Internet.
MelonFan123
5/9/2018 12:05pm
I saw a story on the news last night, in Orange County (CA) a family of 4 living on $89K per year is considered below the poverty line and eligible for controlled rent housing.

I want to say I was blown away but not really. I moved out of OC a few years ago and that was one of the reasons.

I just did a quick google search but couldn't find the story online.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
5/9/2018 12:15pm Edited Date/Time 5/9/2018 12:16pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
Holy cow, they almost got full asking price for the place! Sold for $690K. I looked at the Google street view images, and they definitely changed...
Holy cow, they almost got full asking price for the place! Sold for $690K. I looked at the Google street view images, and they definitely changed the exterior quite a bit and the interior looks like it's fairly fresh. Still made a pretty decent profit though, I'd think. Bought it for $450K 6 months earlier, rehabbed it a bit, sold it for $690K. Here are some of the "before" shots from Google street view

Wow, the place does look nice now. I'm not sure what's more depressing, that "nice" little place selling for 690k or that it sold for 450k as a POS Laughing

I am looking at options to buy right now as my guy want's 600k for my townhouse I'm in currently. Fun fun...
mxtech1
5/9/2018 7:34pm
Last year the City sold an old movie theater to a guy in town for only $100. One of those deals where they just wanted to not own it anymore due to its condition and couldn't afford to demo it.

This year, the city wants to revamp and expand a downtown parking area, which butts up to the back of this old movie theater. So of course they need to demolish it to make this little pet project happen.

They actually proposed to buy the building back from the same guy who paid them $100 for it. He has told city council he will not sell it for any less than $10K. He has not made a single repair or improvement Smile The city will end up buying it so that they can increase downtown parking spaces for our best restaurant in town, which is owned by our largest developer.

This scenario sums up the competency level of our city leadership. How do you think our city economy is doing??
jeffro503
5/9/2018 8:04pm
I’m bout to put an offer In on a 3000 square foot house unfinished basement and another detached building on 10 acres for......269,000. California you guys...
I’m bout to put an offer In on a 3000 square foot house unfinished basement and another detached building on 10 acres for......269,000. California you guys are nuts

Gonna sell my 1800 sq foot home on 1.2 acres for 140,000. Paid 135 for it in 2012. And it’s nice. I just can’t believe the cost of living out west. That’s insane.
Ohio is still that cheap? Holy crap! It's gotten to the point up here where I don't think I'll ever be able to afford a home on my own. Maybe one day , or possibly get marries and have a dual income. But right now , being single and buying a home up here , you better make some good money.

As far as work goes......it's been pretty good and strong the last 5 years or so. Especially the past two years I would think. I'm having to turn quite a bit of work down. But in my business , it's goes up and down. Can work 40-70hr weeks for months on end , then have a random 2 weeks off , or slow 20 hr weeks for a month or something.

Honestly.....it's kind of weird how it works. Coming out of the winter , I had like 3 weeks off and didn't work one day , as I didn't have anything. Then on one day , I got like 7 calls for jobs. Have no idea what sets people off all at the same time like that? Stocks maybe?
5/9/2018 8:55pm
I have been in San Francisco this past week for a short work thing and it is completely insane out here. We get a $45 per diem for meals and that is gone by breakfast. One lady was telling us her rent was $4200 per month. That's $50,000 down the drain in a year! It's insane. We parked in a parking garage at one point and it was $3 for each 15 minutes, it maxed out at $35. I wish I would have checked gas prices. I don't know how anybody survives out here. The traffic is horrible, and everybody is on their horn all day.
MR. X
5/10/2018 3:02am
jeffro503 wrote:
Ohio is still that cheap? Holy crap! It's gotten to the point up here where I don't think I'll ever be able to afford a home...
Ohio is still that cheap? Holy crap! It's gotten to the point up here where I don't think I'll ever be able to afford a home on my own. Maybe one day , or possibly get marries and have a dual income. But right now , being single and buying a home up here , you better make some good money.

As far as work goes......it's been pretty good and strong the last 5 years or so. Especially the past two years I would think. I'm having to turn quite a bit of work down. But in my business , it's goes up and down. Can work 40-70hr weeks for months on end , then have a random 2 weeks off , or slow 20 hr weeks for a month or something.

Honestly.....it's kind of weird how it works. Coming out of the winter , I had like 3 weeks off and didn't work one day , as I didn't have anything. Then on one day , I got like 7 calls for jobs. Have no idea what sets people off all at the same time like that? Stocks maybe?
Just a few years ago ,banks were literally selling run down houses for a dollar just so they didn't have to maintain them ,now these neighborhoods have become the hipster mecca and the price of houses have gone crazy (compared to what they were)

Post a reply to: How is everyones city doing economy wise?

The Latest