How is everyones city doing economy wise?

FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
Edited Date/Time 5/10/2018 3:02am
I noticed our rentals are booked solid and averaging 3 times the calls of past years. Disney says they average 45k visitors a day this time of year usually but averaging 85k right now. My investments are profiting better than ever. Vacationers usually are gone from here by now but its booming the hardest ever. Everyone seems happy and friendly outside of media world. When is the sky falling again? I didn't pay attention and I bet if i keep the news off life is still what i make it, not what the news dictates. I know people are still struggling in places but opportunity is everywhere. I see help wanted signs all day everyday so plenty of work out there. If you are struggling I hope you can see that life throws curveballs and homeruns but its a journey that is all on you. Don't settle on crums, always better yourself. The only person that owes you a better life is YOU!
|
4/5/2018 7:42am Edited Date/Time 4/5/2018 7:42am
I dunno but it’s always a 20 minute wait for red lobster In a town with supposedly no jobs. (Ashtabula Ohio)parking lots full.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
4/5/2018 7:52am Edited Date/Time 4/5/2018 7:54am
Here in San Diego County the construction industry is goin nuts. I do home remodeling and turn down at least one good size job a week on average....we are booked into next holiday season. I don’t know anyone out of work and there r help wanted signs on a lot of businesses. I can’t even give referrals to potential customers of other contractors as everyone is too busy to do what they already have lined up. Supply houses r packed in the mornings.

Restaurants, brew pubs, theatres....all packed. We don’t even go out on weekends anymore and do our dining out meals during the week, and early, to avoid waiting for a table. Buy movie tickets online in advance so we don’t get there and find they r sold out.

Real estate is doing phenomenal too. If I listed our house today we would have several offers by the afternoon, over the asking price.

The only thing to puss about right now is the out of sight gas prices and our vehicle registration that took a serious hike st the start of the year....those r both due to our senile governor who cannot seem to find other ways to screw the working people out of their $$$
MR. X
4/5/2018 8:08am
The last couple years has been solid 12 hour days ,7 days a week for the whole department . I turn down most of the OT ,I'll do two 12s a week and the rest 8s ,no weekends for me. My 401k is going crazy as well. Other shops in the area that I know people working at are all staying busy as well.
Tryhard
4/5/2018 8:20am
Real estate here in the metro richmond , virginia area is just going crazy . We built our first home last year , and the builder have 20 other lots in our neighborhood . All of which sold within 3 months , were built within 8 . Construction is a business owners dream come true . Things have really picked back up here , and im seeing alot of people who closed their doors re opening with help better then ever . Really wish i could get out of my 7-8 hour shift rotational manufacturing job and get back to working with my hands , just dont want the semi struggle for a while for my family which im sure most can relate .

The Shop

4/5/2018 8:26am
It seems like a matter of time before something implodes, maybe within the next year or two....until then, enjoy the boom.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
4/5/2018 9:16am
KennyT wrote:
Here in San Diego County the construction industry is goin nuts. I do home remodeling and turn down at least one good size job a week...
Here in San Diego County the construction industry is goin nuts. I do home remodeling and turn down at least one good size job a week on average....we are booked into next holiday season. I don’t know anyone out of work and there r help wanted signs on a lot of businesses. I can’t even give referrals to potential customers of other contractors as everyone is too busy to do what they already have lined up. Supply houses r packed in the mornings.

Restaurants, brew pubs, theatres....all packed. We don’t even go out on weekends anymore and do our dining out meals during the week, and early, to avoid waiting for a table. Buy movie tickets online in advance so we don’t get there and find they r sold out.

Real estate is doing phenomenal too. If I listed our house today we would have several offers by the afternoon, over the asking price.

The only thing to puss about right now is the out of sight gas prices and our vehicle registration that took a serious hike st the start of the year....those r both due to our senile governor who cannot seem to find other ways to screw the working people out of their $$$
Yup, it sure seems like it's going well in SD. There are huge/expensive apartments or condos going up everywhere.

I got a new truck last year and my registration renewal was friggin $666. Crooks
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
4/5/2018 9:37am
It seems like a matter of time before something implodes, maybe within the next year or two....until then, enjoy the boom.
I’m expecting the implode on 6 1/2 years
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
4/5/2018 9:38am
KennyT wrote:
Here in San Diego County the construction industry is goin nuts. I do home remodeling and turn down at least one good size job a week...

seth505 wrote:
Yup, it sure seems like it's going well in SD. There are huge/expensive apartments or condos going up everywhere. I got a new truck last year...
Yup, it sure seems like it's going well in SD. There are huge/expensive apartments or condos going up everywhere.

I got a new truck last year and my registration renewal was friggin $666. Crooks
Yeah our used truck went from $382 to $518 this year. Well at least we will have better roads .....hahaha
Tryhard
4/5/2018 10:19am
the implosion is inevitable , the government is giving these huge construction companies grants , and private investores grants for projects to boost the economy . Fact is a local city of mine has an hotel that shut down several years ago . And its in a pretty shitty area , but was a super nice hotel . Never made it and closed . Well a private investor bought it for 750k the state of virginia gave the guy 950k in grants . so in return he can spend 100grand and back out on the deal . And well guess what , we paid that guy 150k profit ... from our hard earned taxed money . implosion is coming , tax rises will increase ...
MR. X
4/5/2018 10:40am
KennyT wrote:

seth505 wrote:
Yup, it sure seems like it's going well in SD. There are huge/expensive apartments or condos going up everywhere. I got a new truck last year...

The RENEWAL was over 600 bucks!!?? That's crazy ,I though NYS was bad with charging sales tax every time a vehicle is sold.
rongi#401
4/5/2018 10:45am
Gang Buster's came in about 1 year ago and santa Paula made the big time news for it. So someone here must be doing good
4/5/2018 2:23pm
I'm in San Diego county too and it's booming. A lot of the houses that we looked at are selling for over asking price.
I know you’re a nurse...just curious on what a 1500-2000 sq ft house goes In a decent area around you....
Foghorn
4/5/2018 2:42pm
Heavily oil and gas based economy in Calgary, Canada. Things are slowly picking up. If we can ever get a select pipeline or two built, things will escalate to the positive quickly. Plenty of frothing greenies and foreign support in the way of that. Average house price hasn't changed much. Still around $500k Cdn for a 1200 square foot bungalow. (about 390k US).
4/5/2018 2:51pm
Have A rental condo in myrtle beach. Not a room available this month and It’s not even peak season. Usually doesn’t pick up until bike week (may)
Knoby
4/5/2018 2:57pm
Things have been going great here for couple years. At least in the automotive industry. Fortunately / unfortunately I live in soybean country and I'm kind of waiting to see how people react to the new tariffs.
4/5/2018 2:57pm
I know you’re a nurse...just curious on what a 1500-2000 sq ft house goes In a decent area around you....
Most of those are in thr 400 to 500k range. We're saving up to build and hope to keep our budget around 350-400.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
4/5/2018 3:22pm Edited Date/Time 4/5/2018 3:22pm
I'm in San Diego county too and it's booming. A lot of the houses that we looked at are selling for over asking price.
We r in Vista which is about 7 miles inland from Carlsbad/Oceanside. Our home is just under 2,000 sq ft and would list for around $650K right now. Neighborhoods/location is a big factor on cost in this area just like others. We r within a couple miles of a high crime barrio area where the housing would be much less....but you’d need a bulletproof vest to go outside

Then you will have total shit boxes around 1,000 sq ft a few blocks from the water that are over a million
Naanak
4/5/2018 3:34pm
South Jersey just outside Atlantic Shitty (city) it’s gotten a little better then the last few years but it’s pretty bad. The whole area thrived through the 08 burst but it’s bad now. Foreclosures everywhere, not many good jobs, impossible to sell and the taxes are horrible. It makes almost anywhere else in the US seem appealing. I travel a few times a year and mostly everywhere we go seems to be doing better then here.
4/5/2018 4:07pm Edited Date/Time 4/5/2018 4:09pm
KennyT wrote:
We r in Vista which is about 7 miles inland from Carlsbad/Oceanside. Our home is just under 2,000 sq ft and would list for around $650K...
We r in Vista which is about 7 miles inland from Carlsbad/Oceanside. Our home is just under 2,000 sq ft and would list for around $650K right now. Neighborhoods/location is a big factor on cost in this area just like others. We r within a couple miles of a high crime barrio area where the housing would be much less....but you’d need a bulletproof vest to go outside

Then you will have total shit boxes around 1,000 sq ft a few blocks from the water that are over a million
Nice, I work in Oceanside at Tri City in the ER. Don't come in unless you have about six hours to kill.

I'm in Fallbrook. It's a pretty nice little quiet town. No Wal Marts or Home Depots yet. It could pick up soon though with a new college and big neighborhood going in right across the highway
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
4/5/2018 5:36pm
KennyT wrote:
We r in Vista which is about 7 miles inland from Carlsbad/Oceanside. Our home is just under 2,000 sq ft and would list for around $650K...

Nice, I work in Oceanside at Tri City in the ER. Don't come in unless you have about six hours to kill. I'm in Fallbrook. It's...
Nice, I work in Oceanside at Tri City in the ER. Don't come in unless you have about six hours to kill.

I'm in Fallbrook. It's a pretty nice little quiet town. No Wal Marts or Home Depots yet. It could pick up soon though with a new college and big neighborhood going in right across the highway
I really like Fallbrook. My daughter and her family lived there for a few years so we made it out there quite often. I still go through there on my street bike rides....beautiful countryside and a small town feel for So Cal
agn5009
4/5/2018 5:48pm
KennyT wrote:

Jesus. How the hell does the average person afford a $650k home? The average house in my area is probably 100k. A nice house around 200k. A beautiful house 300k. There are very very few houses that are 650k unless it comes with a couple hundred acres.
Drtbykr
4/5/2018 7:16pm
KennyT wrote:

agn5009 wrote:
Jesus. How the hell does the average person afford a $650k home? The average house in my area is probably 100k. A nice house around 200k...
Jesus. How the hell does the average person afford a $650k home? The average house in my area is probably 100k. A nice house around 200k. A beautiful house 300k. There are very very few houses that are 650k unless it comes with a couple hundred acres.
Record low interest rates. Rate goes up to 8%, leave the keys in the mailbox.

Plus financial institutions are nuts. Bought a new truck lately, more than I ever dreamed I would pay for a vehicle.
It’s been 6 months and I’m still kinda freaked out about it.

Financial dude walks in and says, “you know Tom, with your good credit you could buy a much more expensive truck if you wish”. WTF, are you nuts is what I was thinking?

There was awesome 3/4 ton for 85,000 Can. plus 15% tax. $100,000! We do ok, but have no business buying a $100,000 truck. Could have drove it off the lot no problem, zero percent interest of course.

Not much less than our brand new home bought in 2001 at....8%.

Glad things are picking up in Calgary a bit, have quite a few relatives out there. Never been but probably next year.
I’ll go to Blackfoot and lick some bikes.
4/5/2018 8:06pm
agn5009 wrote:
Jesus. How the hell does the average person afford a $650k home? The average house in my area is probably 100k. A nice house around 200k...
It's crazy right? 650K in my area will get you a small 2bdr condo if you are lucky, with $400/month association fees. All single family homes start at 750K+ right now for a shit box....

Not sure how much longer we can sustain this, but I hope it lasts for another two years.
BobPA
4/5/2018 8:18pm Edited Date/Time 4/5/2018 8:20pm
agn5009 wrote:
It's crazy right? 650K in my area will get you a small 2bdr condo if you are lucky, with $400/month association fees. All single family homes...
It's crazy right? 650K in my area will get you a small 2bdr condo if you are lucky, with $400/month association fees. All single family homes start at 750K+ right now for a shit box....

Not sure how much longer we can sustain this, but I hope it lasts for another two years.
Holy shit....$650K in my area will get you 3000 square feet with 100 acres under it...with a truck in the driveway. $100K will get you a nice setup. I, currently, live on near a lake so the prices are inflated a bit...But, 3 miles in every direction you can get houses mega cheap.

I bought my house on a foreclosure and put some $ and elbow grease into it. I can comfortably ask double what I have into it...The way the weather has been around here lately, I am seriously considering it.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
4/5/2018 8:45pm
KennyT wrote:

agn5009 wrote:
agn5009.... many of us here may have homes that r worth high amounts but were bought for a lot less. I bought a small home here in 2001 for $300K, sold it for $525K, bought r newest one for the same amount and it has appreciated decently over the last few years to around 650 now. I work for clients by the coast who paid under $100;000 for coastal properties in Encinitas back in the 80’s and those homes r worth well over a million.

And the home in your area for $200,000 is probably much nicer than the $million plus homes by the beach.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
4/5/2018 8:47pm
KennyT wrote:

agn5009 wrote:
Drtbykr wrote:
Record low interest rates. Rate goes up to 8%, leave the keys in the mailbox. Plus financial institutions are nuts. Bought a new truck lately, more...
Record low interest rates. Rate goes up to 8%, leave the keys in the mailbox.

Plus financial institutions are nuts. Bought a new truck lately, more than I ever dreamed I would pay for a vehicle.
It’s been 6 months and I’m still kinda freaked out about it.

Financial dude walks in and says, “you know Tom, with your good credit you could buy a much more expensive truck if you wish”. WTF, are you nuts is what I was thinking?

There was awesome 3/4 ton for 85,000 Can. plus 15% tax. $100,000! We do ok, but have no business buying a $100,000 truck. Could have drove it off the lot no problem, zero percent interest of course.

Not much less than our brand new home bought in 2001 at....8%.

Glad things are picking up in Calgary a bit, have quite a few relatives out there. Never been but probably next year.
I’ll go to Blackfoot and lick some bikes.
You guys have 15% sales tax? Yikes!
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
4/5/2018 9:16pm
If you are not working and making money in the Denver area then you don't want a job or money, I get job offers every week and I am not even looking for a job. The down side is housing is out of control and a starter home will run you 400K and it wont be anything special. Glad we bought our house back in 1988 Wink
Jrewing
4/6/2018 4:34am
agn5009 wrote:
It's crazy right? 650K in my area will get you a small 2bdr condo if you are lucky, with $400/month association fees. All single family homes...

BobPA wrote:
Holy shit....$650K in my area will get you 3000 square feet with 100 acres under it...with a truck in the driveway. $100K will get you a...
Holy shit....$650K in my area will get you 3000 square feet with 100 acres under it...with a truck in the driveway. $100K will get you a nice setup. I, currently, live on near a lake so the prices are inflated a bit...But, 3 miles in every direction you can get houses mega cheap.

I bought my house on a foreclosure and put some $ and elbow grease into it. I can comfortably ask double what I have into it...The way the weather has been around here lately, I am seriously considering it.
In the major cities in Australia our house prices are about 1 mil up for a 3-4 bedder home. Prices are pulling back though but if rates hit 5.5-6% shit will hit the fan. We're are at 4-4.5 lending rates.
I'd love to sell the business and move the family Stateside to somewhere on acres in a nice town, can't happen though.
Btw construction is holding our major states economies up. Got nothing when not stops

Post a reply to: How is everyones city doing economy wise?

The Latest