How Long Should Unemloyment last?

wolfeman5
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 8:48am
I am sure that most readers of this forum are aware of the fight between republicans and democrats regarding unemployment benifits extensions.
I am just wondering how long you people think the benifits should last?
Should they go on forever?
|
Larry
7/21/2010 7:40am
They should last as long as the Bush tax cuts.
The deficit has to be attacked from both ends.
72kiteboarder
7/21/2010 7:51am
I think it should be a set amount of time determined by how long you worked at the last job in which you recieve benifits. Like 1 week for every 6 months or something like that.
dougie
7/21/2010 7:56am
Its either Unemployment or Welfare. There are no jobs. Last report I heard was 6 applicants for every job out there. Retraining/re schooling etc isnt going to put a dent in it. We have a few choices. We can keep them propped up with money or we can let them die in the streets and we as a society can suffer thru the violence that will follow.

The Bush Tax cuts helped the rich and Id imagine that much of that money wasnt spent but banked. Give out money to those out of work and that money goes right back into the local economy as rent and food.

Perhaps in time our population will get smaller. And we wont have more people living here than we have jobs for. But I aint holding my breath.

How long should we keep them on Unemployment? Id guess about a year and then Id put them on welfare. What the govenment seems to be doing now is extend benefits in the "hopes" that somehow magically the economy will turn around and everyone will be re employed and life will be wonderful once again and we will all live happily ever after.

As I understand it only some states have 99 weeks of unemployment. And many of those are now falling off the end. I wonder what those people are doing? Living off relatives, neighbors, friends or did they go to some other sort of program?
SteveS
7/21/2010 7:59am
Personally I think that people on unemployment should be required to accept jobs "below their former pay grade" after a reasonable amount of time--say 3 months.

About 5 years ago I was unemployed for a brief period, but found that even before I was eligible to receive the unemployment benefits I was already able to earn more than the amount my benefit would have been, which of course disqualifies you from unemployment benefits. I did so from taking odd jobs, temp labor, etc., and continued to work in such a fashion for the 5-6 months it took to find investors, secure a location, and remodel it to open a new business.

To me the idea of sitting around and taking unemployment for 2 years or more while waiting for a $100,000 job to fall in your lap (even $50,000) is anathema.

The Shop

7/21/2010 8:17am
Until all the money you have personally brought into the system is gone!
Camp332
7/21/2010 8:53am
Unemployment should last a year. Welfare should also be a temporary solution. Make these lazy fuckers sippin on our tit get off their ass.
indy_maico
7/21/2010 9:02am
PAYGO doesn't start till next year.

Also, 'Emergency Spending' is exempt from PAYGO, so there will always be a way around it.
The unemployment rate of 10% pretty much constitutes an emergency, well, at least to the Democrats.
indy_maico
7/21/2010 9:03am
Camp332 wrote:
Unemployment should last a year. Welfare should also be a temporary solution. Make these lazy fuckers sippin on our tit get off their ass.
5-7 applicants for every available job.

Getting off your ass won't help if there is nowhere to go.
7/21/2010 9:06am
Camp332 wrote:
Many of these people are unemployable and with 6 or so candidates do you hire the person who just lost their job? Or do you go with the fat slob that has been on welfare for the last decade?
tcannon521
Fantasy
1398th
7/21/2010 9:12am
I guarantee most people could walk into a car dealership and have a job in sales the next day. I personally believe most people would rather stay on unemployment than take a job less than they believe they deserve.

I saw something on it on the world news lastnight. I agree we should cut the budget somewhere before we extend benefits with borrowed money. They had a girl from Nashville who said she was unemployed for 2 or 3 years!! How is that? I have a lot of bank contacts from Nashville and they all say they have positions open for tellers and CSR's. I don't understand I guess or I must be out of touch with reality.....
7/21/2010 9:19am
tcannon521 wrote:
I guarantee most people could walk into a car dealership and have a job in sales the next day. I personally believe most people would rather...
I guarantee most people could walk into a car dealership and have a job in sales the next day. I personally believe most people would rather stay on unemployment than take a job less than they believe they deserve.

I saw something on it on the world news lastnight. I agree we should cut the budget somewhere before we extend benefits with borrowed money. They had a girl from Nashville who said she was unemployed for 2 or 3 years!! How is that? I have a lot of bank contacts from Nashville and they all say they have positions open for tellers and CSR's. I don't understand I guess or I must be out of touch with reality.....
there are about a million factors that would possibly exclude someone from employment at a bank.

We should cut the budget by doing away with about 80% of the crap we fund!
72kiteboarder
7/21/2010 9:50am
Define real job. I have been in the Navy for the last 20 years. Before that it was highschool type jobs. But to the point, what is wrong with 1 week for 6 months? Is it to little or too much?
bultokid
7/21/2010 9:54am
Ask yourself this, how many times have you been in line at the store behind some mooch that has way more groceries than you who pays for it with their food stamps, wic, etc and then whips out the cash to pay for the lotto tickets and smokes.....priceless.
Scotty
7/21/2010 9:57am
Larry wrote:
They should last as long as the Bush tax cuts.
The deficit has to be attacked from both ends.
You're a small business owner also right? You realize without those tax cuts you're gonna be focked? Small business will die with out those tax cuts. It'll be a slow and painful death
Scotty
7/21/2010 10:00am
I think 6 months should be the max on unemployment bene's. What motivation is it for people to get back to work when they can sit on their ass and collect a check?
7/21/2010 10:28am
I think unemployment should just be a 0% interest loan that must be repaid eventually. Why are we giving people money for doing nothing?
Void Main
7/21/2010 10:33am Edited Date/Time 7/21/2010 10:35am
Unemployment isn't standard across the states either. I live in Illinois and work in Missouri. I did have to collect unemployment for a short time once in my life around 8 years ago but I had to claim it in Missouri which is where I had worked last. I am not sure of who pays what and how but I do know that Illinois pays a lot higher than Missouri for unemployment but I had to claim in Missouri which is where I worked before being unemployed. I assume Illinois employers pay more into it than Missouri. Guess I will have to do a little research to see how the system works before I could comment one way or the other as to what should be done. I do know that Missouri didn't pay enough to pay my bills (I had money saved to take care of that however).
Mr. G
7/21/2010 11:41am
TripleFive wrote:
I think unemployment should just be a 0% interest loan that must be repaid eventually. Why are we giving people money for doing nothing?
Excelent! Best solution I've seen so far. Here is why it is good. It doesn't overly tax ( pardon the pun) the system and it gives the recipient more self respect since they are not on the dole. No self respecting person would want others to pay their way for any extended time.
7/21/2010 12:36pm
wolfeman5 wrote:
I am sure that most readers of this forum are aware of the fight between republicans and democrats regarding unemployment benifits extensions. I am just wondering...
I am sure that most readers of this forum are aware of the fight between republicans and democrats regarding unemployment benifits extensions.
Bill Clinton and the Democrats supported NAFTA and the shipment of jobs oversees to increase Corporate profits so this dip in jobs was planned years ago. Once we get used to lower wages and benefits like China, India, etc. we will be fine. The Democrats screwed the working class and all they have now up their sleeves is to throw money at the "planned" problem. Thanks Bill.
indy_maico
7/21/2010 1:52pm
The latest on the unemployment extension vote in the Senate. The republicans are holding up the final vote while they ask for the estate tax to be repealed for 2011. Unbelievable! They want to offset the cost of unemployment benefits, but how will they offset the cost of the repeal of the estate tax, which would only affects estates valued at more than $5 million?

AOL news(July 21) -- Though the outcome is all but certain, the fight over the unemployment benefits extension isn't over just yet.

On Tuesday, Senate Democrats, with the support of both Republican senators from Maine and freshly sworn-in West Virginia Senator Carte Goodwin, broke a longstanding Republican filibuster against the emergency jobless relief bill with a 60-40 vote to invoke cloture. But in Wednesday's session, Republican Senators introduced several motions -- including several calling for offsetting cuts to cancel out the cost of the unemployment benefits, which will have a $33 billion deficit impact -- and another to repeal the estate tax that pushed the vote back to late this afternoon or evening.

Speaking from the Senate, California Democratic Senator Barbara Boxer criticized the bill's Republican opponents for continuing to hold unemployed Americans "hostage."

Oklahoma Republican Senator Tom Coburn, voicing the Republican sentiment, said the GOP opposition is not a "delaying tactic," but rather a "philosophical discussion" over how to remedy the struggling economy.

While the bill has languished, 2.5 million unemployed workers have gone without aid, which under the new bill will be restored retroactively to June 2, when the previous federal benefits package expired. The bill would extend benefits for those who qualify through the end of November but does not include aid for the "99ers," Americans who have already been out of work for over 99 weeks and have since had their federal aid discontinued.
Mr. G
7/21/2010 2:00pm
It is anecdotal. Yes there are small businesses that are doing well but it is a very very small percentage. Your rebuttal shows a very interesting point. You state that even with the tax your dads companies always did fine. Fair enough, but the point is not are we able to make it but the inherent unfairness of the tax to begin with.
Tiki
Fantasy
1695th
7/21/2010 2:08pm
I think it should be a set amount of time determined by how long you worked at the last job in which you recieve benifits. Like...
I think it should be a set amount of time determined by how long you worked at the last job in which you recieve benifits. Like 1 week for every 6 months or something like that.
That is kinda stiff. How about 2-1? Two weeks equals 1 week of unemployment?

I like the idea though.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1398th
7/21/2010 2:27pm Edited Date/Time 7/21/2010 2:28pm
wolfeman5 wrote:
I am sure that most readers of this forum are aware of the fight between republicans and democrats regarding unemployment benifits extensions. I am just wondering...
Why?

We need to motivate people not give them a cushion. I have a good friend that was laid off for 6 months. He didn't go job searching at all during that time. What did he do? He posted doing lawn care (cash only) cheap on craigslist!!!

His company called him back and after a month he had a job somewhere else....

I say dollar for dollar after admin costs are taken out on the unemployment benefit payout!
dougie
7/21/2010 3:12pm
I kinda doubt most people drawing U/E are just taking the EZ route. I mean how much money does someone on U/E get? Is it enough to cover the mortgage? Food, Utilities, Insurance, Car payment? Yeah I can just see all those lazy U/E sob's kickin' back drinking Imported Beer, BBQ'n Jumbo Prawns and laughing at those with jobs.
Scotty
7/21/2010 3:23pm
dougie wrote:
I kinda doubt most people drawing U/E are just taking the EZ route. I mean how much money does someone on U/E get? Is it enough...
I kinda doubt most people drawing U/E are just taking the EZ route. I mean how much money does someone on U/E get? Is it enough to cover the mortgage? Food, Utilities, Insurance, Car payment? Yeah I can just see all those lazy U/E sob's kickin' back drinking Imported Beer, BBQ'n Jumbo Prawns and laughing at those with jobs.
We have a guy who we just laid off because his job got slow.. He is a 25 yr old going to college at night while working during the day.. He was actually really excited we laid him off, because now he can go to school during the day and collect a check while he's at it. I know all states are different, but CA pays pretty good for UE and disability.
Tiki
Fantasy
1695th
7/21/2010 3:25pm
dougie wrote:
I kinda doubt most people drawing U/E are just taking the EZ route. I mean how much money does someone on U/E get? Is it enough...
Unemployment in CA just barely covers most the mortgages in CA. It is enough to feed yourself.

Having been on unemployment I can say it is helpful. Did it stop me from looking for a job? No. Hell I am even moving for a job. It's based on the individual. I try to take a job for less then I was making to save from moving. But it is pretty discouraging from the job market when you hear - You are way overqualified. Many employers dont even try to give you the benefit of the doubt and hire you for less. The one job I was going to take was a Janitor. Nothing special, I can push a broom. But the hoops and BS I had to go through to get that job was a little sad. A barrage of tests - I passed them all. Drug tests, safety tests all to hear. "I have to go on a mandatory vacation, I will call you in three weeks."

I said fuck it, I am packing my house to move 300 miles south to take a job that pays me what I am worth and one I will much more enjoy. I was on unemployment for two weeks. 1 Check, and after I am done dealing with catching up on bills, late fees having to move - I will be out of pocket around $2500 as of today. I have many more things to still catch up on in paying. It sucks. So my $400 weekly unemployment check? I stocked up on cans of tuna.

It isnt as beautiful as it may seem. PLUS I wont get to argue with you guys all day. I know OldFart is going to be sad from that. I can hear him sniffling.

If anyone in OC needs a room mate for a month or two, I am on craigslist looking. - WHICH means I will be away from my family until I can move them south.

Being unemployed is a freaking joy. Let me tell you.
jonjon714
7/21/2010 3:32pm
indy_maico wrote:
PAYGO doesn't start till next year. Also, 'Emergency Spending' is exempt from PAYGO, so there will always be a way around it. The unemployment rate of...
PAYGO doesn't start till next year.

Also, 'Emergency Spending' is exempt from PAYGO, so there will always be a way around it.
The unemployment rate of 10% pretty much constitutes an emergency, well, at least to the Democrats.
Can you show me where PAYGO doesn't start until next year? Seriously, I can't find that anywhere.
indy_maico
7/21/2010 3:46pm
jonjon714 wrote:
Can you show me where PAYGO doesn't start until next year? Seriously, I can't find that anywhere.
I read it somewhere the other day. I'll see if I can find it.
7/21/2010 4:19pm
Tough to take a lot of the people in this thread arguing against UE when they obviously have no idea how it works.

Post a reply to: How Long Should Unemloyment last?

The Latest