Home Studio

Related:
Create New Tag

7/26/2017 3:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/26/2017 3:14 PM

Was wondering what some of you have sunk into your home recording studio's. Here is my list:
1. Used descktop Computer $300
2. Guitar Rig 5 $100
3. EZ Drummer $ 70
4. Jackson guitar $200
5. Casio Keyboard $ free
6. Monitors $35
7. Reaper $60 I think
Total $760

|

7/26/2017 3:42 PM

HP Laptop... $400
MBox Mini and Protools Express... $299-ish, I think
All plugins, grand total....$0
Hamer Centaura....$1200-ish. (KILLER instrument.)
Klipsch computer speakers (not monitors) $150
Around $2K.


If we're talking all guitar equipment, I also have:
Old-School Gallien-Krueger 200MPL preamp... $250
Carvin 4x12 cab... $200-ish
Carvin FET400... $250-ish
Fuhrmann Power conditioner...$?


I've had most or all this equipment for over 20 years, so it's been worth the price.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

7/26/2017 6:13 PM

My guitars I already had, Les Paul, MiM strat.
Practice amp free. (son gave it to me)
Bass guitar free (Daughter lets me use it)
Reaper $60
SM 57 $100
M-Track audio interface $100
Casio keyboard already had. Not sure where it came from.

Looks like I'm in for $260

I've probably had cheaper hobbies but I couldn't point em out to you. Christ, even golf cost me $100 a month. Fucking BEER cost me that much!

I did just order a new pickup for my Paul. It was $80. The neck pickup is a P90 and I hate it. I went with a DiMarzio DP 162.

So $340

|

7/26/2017 6:18 PM

"Not sure where it came from." I love that.

|

7/26/2017 6:20 PM

My cousin has a full on high and analog pro studio in NJ. Cant imagine what that cost. I should ask him.

|

7/26/2017 6:21 PM

What is a hamer centaura?

|

7/26/2017 7:24 PM

In 2002 I built a computer for recording. 2x 40g harddrives one running OS and software the other running data storage, 1.4ghz pentium 4 processor, 2x 256 mb RAM, 3 monitors, digi001 and protools le with 24 tracks. It was the shit. It crapped out about 2010 and im still trying to recover files off the hard drive.

Now i just have a zoom 4 track handheld recorder. But i did just start playing with some friends again so...

|

7/26/2017 8:10 PM

Oh yes you can.

|

7/27/2017 2:03 PM

Mr. G wrote:

What is a hamer centaura?

Early '90s strat-style, for the people who didn't yet realize that the trend was going to be Mustangs, Jaguars and flannel.


Mine looks like this without the reverse headstock. She's a beauty!:
Photo

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

7/27/2017 5:01 PM

I think we are all glad of that.

|

7/27/2017 5:02 PM

Mr. G wrote:

What is a hamer centaura?

Falcon wrote:

Early '90s strat-style, for the people who didn't yet realize that the trend was going to be Mustangs, Jaguars and flannel.


Mine looks like this without the reverse headstock. She's a beauty!:
Photo

That thing is so much cooler than any Mustang or Jaguar.

|

7/27/2017 5:15 PM

Mr. G wrote:

My cousin has a full on high and analog pro studio in NJ. Cant imagine what that cost. I should ask him.

Is your cousin in the industry or just a super hobbyist?

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

7/27/2017 10:35 PM

I guess he is in the industry since people go there to record. This is his companies facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Therawmix/?pnref=lhc

|

7/27/2017 11:06 PM

My new Pro home studio under construction "Sonic Alchemy Lab" Retired from 30 years mixing on the road ready to mix at home.

Tracking room 20 W x 30 L x 14 H finished (not treated fully) $8K
Control room 20 W x 30 L x 12 H framed up 2 x 12 walls and ceiling $11K so far
Photo


Gear so far

Allen & Heath GL 2000 32 channel analog console control room $1000.00
Allen & Heath GL 2400 32 channel analog console Monitor mix for tracking room $1000.00
Whirlwind 48 pr 100 Ft snake $ 800.00
Sweetwater Creation Station CS250v5 Computer $1400.00
Universal Audio Apollo 16 interface $2999.00
Avid Pro Tools 12 up from 10 $ 500.00
Propellerhead Reason 9.5 up from 7 $ 500.00
Adobe Audition Ver 4 Had it already
Adobe Premier Pro CS5.5 Had it already
M-Audio BX8 studio Monitors $ 500.00
Yamaha HS8 Studio Monitors $ 700.00
M-Audio SBX10 Sub $ 450.00
Universal Audio 6176 Analog Channel Strip w/610 Tube mic Pre and 1176 LN Compressor $2499.00
Argosy Halo workstation $1499.00
Misc - Patch cable, Video Mon's, Video cabling, Little lites, etc... $1000.00

Gear still to get
Acoustic treatment control room
Headphone Amp multichannel
Mic's
Stands
Cables
Speaker ISO cabs
Cameras


Hope to have everything wired and ready to go by next summer to start booking clients.


|

7/27/2017 11:40 PM

Whoa

|

7/28/2017 2:57 PM

Mr. G wrote:

What is a hamer centaura?

Falcon wrote:

Early '90s strat-style, for the people who didn't yet realize that the trend was going to be Mustangs, Jaguars and flannel.


Mine looks like this without the reverse headstock. She's a beauty!:
Photo

Mr. G wrote:

That thing is so much cooler than any Mustang or Jaguar.

Thanks! I think so. It plays as well or better than anything I've ever touched.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

7/28/2017 2:58 PM

And to motomojo,

DAYUM!!!! Nice setup.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

7/29/2017 10:16 AM

motomojo wrote:

My new Pro home studio under construction "Sonic Alchemy Lab" Retired from 30 years mixing on the road ready to mix at home.

Tracking room 20 W x 30 L x 14 H finished (not treated fully) $8K
Control room 20 W x 30 L x 12 H framed up 2 x 12 walls and ceiling $11K so far
Photo


Gear so far

Allen & Heath GL 2000 32 channel analog console control room $1000.00
Allen & Heath GL 2400 32 channel analog console Monitor mix for tracking room $1000.00
Whirlwind 48 pr 100 Ft snake $ 800.00
Sweetwater Creation Station CS250v5 Computer $1400.00
Universal Audio Apollo 16 interface $2999.00
Avid Pro Tools 12 up from 10 $ 500.00
Propellerhead Reason 9.5 up from 7 $ 500.00
Adobe Audition Ver 4 Had it already
Adobe Premier Pro CS5.5 Had it already
M-Audio BX8 studio Monitors $ 500.00
Yamaha HS8 Studio Monitors $ 700.00
M-Audio SBX10 Sub $ 450.00
Universal Audio 6176 Analog Channel Strip w/610 Tube mic Pre and 1176 LN Compressor $2499.00
Argosy Halo workstation $1499.00
Misc - Patch cable, Video Mon's, Video cabling, Little lites, etc... $1000.00

Gear still to get
Acoustic treatment control room
Headphone Amp multichannel
Mic's
Stands
Cables
Speaker ISO cabs
Cameras


Hope to have everything wired and ready to go by next summer to start booking clients.


Really looking forward to seeing what this looks like when done.

|

7/29/2017 10:44 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/29/2017 10:48 AM

Mr. G wrote:

Really looking forward to seeing what this looks like when done.

I'm more interested how it sounds tho smile

Photo

|

7/29/2017 2:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/29/2017 2:04 PM

steed 2.0 wrote:

I'm more interested how it sounds tho smile

Photo

That's a very nice room for sure!!! Yours?

Yes indeed sound is the #1 item that's why i have Acoustic Engineer Dennis Foley of Acoustic Fields helping with the design and doing the treatment.
We are employing his Absorber wall technology to handle the low end thus the 2 x 12 walls and ceiling.

&t=124s
&list=PLDelqxWk36UgjtdW9AB6natV2yowpHaYC

This room will be as close to flat as any room in the country. Tucked away back in the mountains 40 miles away from any distractions i hope to aside from my own projects rent the space to Producers, Other Engineers, Song writers, etc...
I still have many connections from my years in the biz so will be tapping them to come hang out and make some noise. Also i should mention it's totally off grid.

This is the final leg of my retirement dream i have been keeping alive for many many years.
Retire at 50, buy some land in the mountains, build a studio and a MX track and spend the rest of my days indulging in my two favorite passions Riding and Recording/Mixing and i am quite amazed that i kept it all together and pulled it off.

It's all worked out to plan so far except i built the MX track first you may have seen my post a couple years ago when i finished it Gopher Gulch MX near Kingman AZ
Photo

It's taken me 10 years to get to this point doing most all the work myself cos i ain't rich but manage my resources very well.

|

7/29/2017 4:54 PM

motomojo wrote:

My new Pro home studio under construction "Sonic Alchemy Lab" Retired from 30 years mixing on the road ready to mix at home.

Tracking room 20 W x 30 L x 14 H finished (not treated fully) $8K
Control room 20 W x 30 L x 12 H framed up 2 x 12 walls and ceiling $11K so far
Photo


Gear so far

Allen & Heath GL 2000 32 channel analog console control room $1000.00
Allen & Heath GL 2400 32 channel analog console Monitor mix for tracking room $1000.00
Whirlwind 48 pr 100 Ft snake $ 800.00
Sweetwater Creation Station CS250v5 Computer $1400.00
Universal Audio Apollo 16 interface $2999.00
Avid Pro Tools 12 up from 10 $ 500.00
Propellerhead Reason 9.5 up from 7 $ 500.00
Adobe Audition Ver 4 Had it already
Adobe Premier Pro CS5.5 Had it already
M-Audio BX8 studio Monitors $ 500.00
Yamaha HS8 Studio Monitors $ 700.00
M-Audio SBX10 Sub $ 450.00
Universal Audio 6176 Analog Channel Strip w/610 Tube mic Pre and 1176 LN Compressor $2499.00
Argosy Halo workstation $1499.00
Misc - Patch cable, Video Mon's, Video cabling, Little lites, etc... $1000.00

Gear still to get
Acoustic treatment control room
Headphone Amp multichannel
Mic's
Stands
Cables
Speaker ISO cabs
Cameras


Hope to have everything wired and ready to go by next summer to start booking clients.


I would be jealous but I don't know what most of that stuff is.

|

7/29/2017 5:31 PM

Oh yeah the track is a monster 1.2 miles of heavy elevation change and a blast to ride.
Here is a go pro of a friend on a 17 KTM 250 2 smoker so you can see the whole thing
and a google earth pic of the whole facility. Presently working on track # 2 behind the main track
hope to have it finished sometime next year.

If you are ever traveling out west to ride stop in I'm 9 miles south of 40 and 8 miles east of Hwy 93.





Photo

|

7/30/2017 6:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/31/2017 3:58 PM

Nah just for inspiration laughing www.morelmuziek.nl/studios

|

7/30/2017 6:22 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/30/2017 6:24 AM

Photo

Photo

This is more realistic for a "home studio" imo
|

7/30/2017 7:41 AM

steed 2.0 wrote: Photo

Photo

This is more realistic for a "home studio" imo

Here is another option and one that may suit your situation well.
The Attackwall by Acoustic Sciences Corp.
http://www.acousticsciences.com/products/attack-wall

I'm getting one of their Quick Sound fields for the tracking room to create vocal areas and other smaller spaces so i can save a bit of money treating the entire tracking space and leave it a bit more lively.
http://www.acousticsciences.com/products/quick-sound-field.

But for a small studio on the move the Attackwall is ideal as you have the same environment everywhere you set up.

This is my setup at present just so i can edit and clean up a bunch of old 2 track live board mixes of bands i toured with and others i recorded while an in house Eng for a club and a Theater.
Photo

Not ideal but close enough to remove hiss and other crap on these old cassette tapes and cut them into individual tracks.

|

7/30/2017 10:59 AM

Yes indeed got a good rain last night so i was up early and riding all morning.
Just stopped to have some lunch and back at it for another couple hours.

Love to groom it actually have more laps on the tractor than on my bike but catching up rapidly.

|

7/30/2017 11:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/31/2017 4:00 PM

motomojo wrote:

Here is another option and one that may suit your situation well.
The Attackwall by Acoustic Sciences Corp.
http://www.acousticsciences.com/products/attack-wall

I'm getting one of their Quick Sound fields for the tracking room to create vocal areas and other smaller spaces so i can save a bit of money treating the entire tracking space and leave it a bit more lively.
http://www.acousticsciences.com/products/quick-sound-field.

But for a small studio on the move the Attackwall is ideal as you have the same environment everywhere you set up.

This is my setup at present just so i can edit and clean up a bunch of old 2 track live board mixes of bands i toured with and others i recorded while an in house Eng for a club and a Theater.
Photo

Not ideal but close enough to remove hiss and other crap on these old cassette tapes and cut them into individual tracks.

Photo

It's an idea, this is basically what I need...



|

7/31/2017 4:20 PM

I know you guys look down on us and yes we are the fastfood guys of the music industry ...
Check out Robert Babicz's gear and equipment, mastering engineer explains his process

|