Home Cooking Too Good Not To Share

Related:
Create New Tag

6/21/2019 6:24 PM

reded wrote:

Cheese curds are rad plowbro. Anyone who hasn’t partaken, will never understand.

You are a Kansas boy...do you go to the fair at Hutch? We get there every year and are first customers at the cheese curd vendor. My favorite.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

6/29/2019 8:38 AM

Photo
|

6/29/2019 9:26 AM

Man, you guys know how to eat! I'm originally a southwesterner raised by a Cajun father so TXDirt and Newmann's stuff really turns my crank. I haven't looked at all five pages yet, but I got through the first two. You Kansas boys, ifn I was there I'd try them cheese curds in a second. Anything with cheese can't be bad. It's kind of like bacon.

So, I'm doing a rib smoke today. I've already got them rubbed with brown sugar, coarse salt, pepper, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, celery salt, allspice and cayenne. However, and this is a great step to try if you've not, pull that membrane off the back of the ribs. Grab a corner with a paper towel and pull it off like you're peeling a sticker off a bumper or something.

I'm just about to put them in the smoker. It's noon here and they will spend six hours at 200 degrees in 3 separate smokes. First smoke Pecan. Second smoke Cherry. Third smoke Apple. That gives me a spicy sweet combo I like. Water pan is filled with cold Honey Crisp apple juice. Also, every time I change woods, I mop it with Stubbs.

With one hour left, I pull them, bring them inside, put them in heavy duty foil and slather them with more brown sugar and honey. Throw in a quarter cup of water or beer. Put them back in smoker wrapped up for the last hour.

Photo

Photo

Oh my look at that rich, spicy pecan smoke!

Photo

|

6/29/2019 9:36 AM

^^^ that looks real good Harrybro!!!

I love brown sugar on my ribs when smoking them. Definitely take that membrane off. Real easy to do with a paper towel like you said. Another thing I do is coat the ribs in regular yellow mustard. I’ve seen this technique on a lot of the smoking forums. I do this with ribs, chicken, pork butts. The mustard holds the seasoning on it and helps create a real nice crust. And the smoke completely neutralizes the mustard flavor. You would never guess it was slathered with mustard.

Looks real tasty! Share some more pics when it’s done!

|

6/29/2019 9:42 AM

TXDirt wrote:

I love brown sugar on my ribs when smoking them. Definitely take that membrane off. Real easy to do with a paper towel like you said. Another thing I do is coat the ribs in regular yellow mustard. I’ve seen this technique on a lot of the smoking forums. I do this with ribs, chicken, pork butts. The mustard holds the seasoning on it and helps create a real nice crust. And the smoke completely neutralizes the mustard flavor. You would never guess it was slathered with mustard.

I've done the mustard before and meant to do it this go round and spaced it out. Olive oil is another good coating. Thanks, and I'll get some pics.

|

6/29/2019 9:45 AM

I forgot to add I always put one briquet in with the wood. That's where you really get a smoke ring from.

|

6/29/2019 11:27 AM

Looks good!! If I have it on hand I’ll mix apple juice and apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle and spritz everything every 30 minutes or so.

I may have to head to the store and get some baby backs now!! Lol

|

6/29/2019 12:14 PM

Where is Newmann by the way, havent seen him lately?

|

I was G before the "moto drive" to Vital

6/29/2019 12:28 PM

GIwasB4 wrote:

Where is Newmann by the way, havent seen him lately?

Apparently he has been placed on "Leave" by the higher authorities. It's a shame is what it is...a damn shame.

|

6/29/2019 1:28 PM

reded wrote:

Cheese curds are rad plowbro. Anyone who hasn’t partaken, will never understand.

plowboy wrote:

You are a Kansas boy...do you go to the fair at Hutch? We get there every year and are first customers at the cheese curd vendor. My favorite.

I’ve never been to the fair but used to race in MN/WI D23 and those dudes always had cheese curds. There’s also a place in Osceola MO that makes damn good cheese.

|

6/29/2019 2:09 PM

^^^ heck yeah!!! Looks awesome!

|

7/3/2019 2:21 PM

I’ll do mine hotter and faster as well. Usually about 250-275 for three hours. Sometimes I’ll wrap and cook another 45-60 minutes. I’ll take them back out and sometimes I’ll put directly over my fire box to get just a little char on them. Really just firming them up a bit. Sometimes I’ll put some sauce on and the direct heat caramelizes it a bit. Depends on how I feel.

|

7/3/2019 5:49 PM

TXDirt wrote: Photo

Ok I'm diggin your taste palette so far (looks really good) but WTF is up with the Monster can for Breakfast or was that merely for show! w00t

|

7/3/2019 5:57 PM

G-man wrote:

Ok I'm diggin your taste palette so far (looks really good) but WTF is up with the Monster can for Breakfast or was that merely for show! w00t

My fridge is packed with Monster's and Rockstar drinks. I actually like them. Some really good flavors. I know they are not good for me and I will need to give them up. I use to talk shit about Monster, having never tried it though. I absolutely hate Mtn Dew and thought that's probably what it tasted like. Then I tried some of their Monster juices a few months ago and they are friggin good. I don't care for the original green monsters. But the monster juice blends are really good.

|

7/3/2019 5:58 PM

Harry Backmon wrote:

Man, you guys know how to eat! I'm originally a southwesterner raised by a Cajun father so TXDirt and Newmann's stuff really turns my crank. I haven't looked at all five pages yet, but I got through the first two. You Kansas boys, ifn I was there I'd try them cheese curds in a second. Anything with cheese can't be bad. It's kind of like bacon.

So, I'm doing a rib smoke today. I've already got them rubbed with brown sugar, coarse salt, pepper, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, celery salt, allspice and cayenne. However, and this is a great step to try if you've not, pull that membrane off the back of the ribs. Grab a corner with a paper towel and pull it off like you're peeling a sticker off a bumper or something.

I'm just about to put them in the smoker. It's noon here and they will spend six hours at 200 degrees in 3 separate smokes. First smoke Pecan. Second smoke Cherry. Third smoke Apple. That gives me a spicy sweet combo I like. Water pan is filled with cold Honey Crisp apple juice. Also, every time I change woods, I mop it with Stubbs.

With one hour left, I pull them, bring them inside, put them in heavy duty foil and slather them with more brown sugar and honey. Throw in a quarter cup of water or beer. Put them back in smoker wrapped up for the last hour.

Photo

Photo

Oh my look at that rich, spicy pecan smoke!

Photo

WoW that looks good--I bet your neighbors luv getting a wiff of that! cheerful

|

7/3/2019 7:15 PM

Seafood pasta with trinidad scorpions for some fire!
Photo
Photo

|

7/3/2019 7:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/3/2019 7:20 PM

^^^ That looks awesome Ezza!! I wound eat a plate of that right now!!

|

7/3/2019 7:53 PM

How do you guys do your chicken drumsticks? Any good tips?

|

7/3/2019 8:55 PM

Cheers TX, I feel the same way about everything in this thread!

|

7/3/2019 10:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/3/2019 11:07 PM

mxtech1 wrote:

How do you guys do your chicken drumsticks? Any good tips?

If you have time, and I mean like 30 min for prep kinda time, try bacon wrapped chicken lollipops.. unbelievable!!! Search YouTube for some how to recipes.. totally worth it brother! Trust me

|

7/4/2019 1:38 PM

Here's a tip for ribs, you can fit more and get better air flow.

Photo

|

7/4/2019 2:35 PM

NvHermit wrote:

Here's a tip for ribs, you can fit more and get better air flow.

Photo

Interesting, Hermit.

|

7/4/2019 3:51 PM

Photo

Photo

|

7/4/2019 4:03 PM

Looks good Hermit!! I’ll tie mine up if I’m cooking several racks. And you do get better air flow. I need to do that more often. My mom does that with her pit barrel smoker and her ribs are always amazing.

|

7/4/2019 8:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/4/2019 9:00 PM

Keeping it simple on the 4th after a killer spinach mixed salad--Surf & Turf 😎 Photo

|

7/4/2019 9:08 PM

newmann wrote:

Looks GREAT! Added points for Newmann approved plates!

Beautiful meals on paper plates! Newmann approval, classless lol, just kidding mann

|

If you like uncle tony's meatballs, you'll love his sausage

Now that's Italian

7/4/2019 9:27 PM

newmann wrote:

Uncle Tony wrote:

Beautiful meals on paper plates! Newmann approval, classless lol, just kidding mann

It's not a paper plate! w00t haha it was a big piece of meat and Tater.

|

7/4/2019 9:55 PM

newmann wrote:

Uncle Tony wrote:

G-man wrote:

It's not a paper plate! w00t haha it was a big piece of meat and Tater.

I’m Italian sort of, we take eating seriously lol

|

If you like uncle tony's meatballs, you'll love his sausage

Now that's Italian

7/4/2019 10:03 PM

Uncle Tony wrote:

I’m Italian sort of, we take eating seriously lol

Oh yes I agree you won't see any of my gourmet meals on paper plates!

not even when I'm camping I use those old-school camping plates.

That should be some kind of crime. 🤣

|

7/5/2019 7:42 AM

TXDirt wrote:

I've got a couple briskets on today (July 5th celebration with the extended family), and mustard rubbed one of them before adding my normal salt/pepper/paprika/chilipowder rub. First time doing it, but I have heard good things.

|