Home Cooking Too Good Not To Share

HackMan162
7/6/2019 10:44am
I throw a towel down in the bottom of an empty cooler, then the wrapped (in foil) briskets, then just throw another towel on top for good measure. Close the cooler, and let the meat rest, minimum of an hour, but I think two is better from what I have read. It really gets the last part of the collagen break down and makes it sooo tender!
7/6/2019 10:51am
HackMan162 wrote:
I throw a towel down in the bottom of an empty cooler, then the wrapped (in foil) briskets, then just throw another towel on top for...
I throw a towel down in the bottom of an empty cooler, then the wrapped (in foil) briskets, then just throw another towel on top for good measure. Close the cooler, and let the meat rest, minimum of an hour, but I think two is better from what I have read. It really gets the last part of the collagen break down and makes it sooo tender!
Awesome! Thanks again. I will try this next go round.
7/6/2019 10:58am
Hackbro, clarify something for me. The first time you pulled your brisket, did you pull it because you were going to that party, or is that something you typically do? If it's not, how long would you have left it in the heat before pulling it?
shane1322
7/7/2019 3:00am
Seriously, do all americans eat off disposable plates every night of the week? Im australian, and if we dont do it, no one should.🙃

The Shop

7/7/2019 6:30am
shane1322 wrote:
Seriously, do all americans eat off disposable plates every night of the week? Im australian, and if we dont do it, no one should.🙃
I can't speak for all Americans. What I can tell you is that most of the time for breakfast we eat off paper plates. For dinner it's usually a paper plate as well. Supper is almost always served on a regular plate. A snack is usually eaten off a paper plate - if a plate is even required.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
7/7/2019 12:22pm Edited Date/Time 7/7/2019 12:24pm
Little simple grilled shrimp and veg lunch with my daughter. Put some asparagus poking out of my cheesy mushrooms. Had some great homemade slaw too. Was tasty.

plowboy
7/7/2019 12:29pm
FLmxer wrote:
Little simple grilled shrimp and veg lunch with my daughter. Put some asparagus poking out of my cheesy mushrooms. Had some great homemade slaw too. Was...
Little simple grilled shrimp and veg lunch with my daughter. Put some asparagus poking out of my cheesy mushrooms. Had some great homemade slaw too. Was tasty.

OMG...nothing simple about that plating. That's a $40 plus meal at most restaurants. Great looking meal buddy.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
7/7/2019 12:30pm Edited Date/Time 7/7/2019 12:31pm
Low and slow.
G-man
7/7/2019 6:39pm Edited Date/Time 7/7/2019 10:26pm
Ok boys it's been a YARDBIRD weekend....
Started off with some tasty chicken wings we tried for the first time. Have any of you guys had the wings at Carrabbas? If you like them grilled crispy and not deep fried in greasy oil then you would luv them and they have a good kick to them as well--our favorite place for wings.
So I tried to find the recipe, and ended up with something close but even better imo, probably the home field advantage helped out. Cheerful

Chopped up a whole bird and this called for the old school Weber for that Smoky flavor the gas grill cannot replicate.
I don't have a smoker (yet) but for years I have mastered how to replicate the Weber as a smoker and it works pretty good. I use some of the Mesquite wood (soaked in water) from the tree in front of my home and Cowboy Charcoal and barely crack the vents.

Today's feast:

We try to have these spinach salads three to four times a week. It's loaded with vegetables, raw pumpkin seeds and also some cranberries.

Having Turkey once a year is not enough for me so we buy an extra during the Holidays as they are priced great so we throw it in the freeezer and smoke it in the summer.....Cool

Wink

Thanksgiving when it's 108 out!Woohoo

The YardBird turned out great, meat fell off the bone very tender and had the Smokey Mesquite flavor. 😎
Good day for a Festivus!

G-man
7/8/2019 11:29am Edited Date/Time 7/8/2019 1:32pm
Very nice G-bro! Gonna share that wing recipe with us?
Thanks here ya go.
We substituted putting on the grill for 45 minutes with putting in the oven at 440 for 45 minutes also trim the fat off the wings before we put them in there.
I basted them and put them on the grill for 5 minutes per side on a cookie tray with foil.

TXDirt
7/8/2019 1:22pm Edited Date/Time 7/8/2019 1:26pm
Some more bacon wrapped chicken stuffed with fresh mozzarella. Seasoned onions on the side.

HackMan162
7/8/2019 3:28pm
Harry,

I pulled them because I had a party to go to. Plus, the smoker I have right now is a piece of crap bullet smoker that requires constant attention, so would be impossible to let it go without babysitting it.

Brisket will generally stall on temperature somewhere between 150-165. It could sit there literally for hours. That's fine if you have the time/desire/temp control to work through the stall. If you want to speed things up, you can use the Texas Crutch. This is pulling the meat, and double wrapping in either foil, or pink butcher paper. Aaron Franklin uses the pink butcher paper method.

The Texas Crutch helps the brisket get through the stall quicker. Can usually get by with 8-10 hour of total time on the cooker this way. When the meat hits 203 internal temp, it is time to pull it and throw it into the cooler to rest. The internal temp will still rise a bit as it finishes.

While the meat is resting, this is a good time to prep the rest of your sides, or perhaps, even throw a whole chicken on a grill for 90 minutes or so....
7/8/2019 4:10pm
HackMan162 wrote:
Harry, I pulled them because I had a party to go to. Plus, the smoker I have right now is a piece of crap bullet smoker...
Harry,

I pulled them because I had a party to go to. Plus, the smoker I have right now is a piece of crap bullet smoker that requires constant attention, so would be impossible to let it go without babysitting it.

Brisket will generally stall on temperature somewhere between 150-165. It could sit there literally for hours. That's fine if you have the time/desire/temp control to work through the stall. If you want to speed things up, you can use the Texas Crutch. This is pulling the meat, and double wrapping in either foil, or pink butcher paper. Aaron Franklin uses the pink butcher paper method.

The Texas Crutch helps the brisket get through the stall quicker. Can usually get by with 8-10 hour of total time on the cooker this way. When the meat hits 203 internal temp, it is time to pull it and throw it into the cooler to rest. The internal temp will still rise a bit as it finishes.

While the meat is resting, this is a good time to prep the rest of your sides, or perhaps, even throw a whole chicken on a grill for 90 minutes or so....
Awesome info. Thank you!
reded
7/8/2019 4:13pm Edited Date/Time 7/8/2019 4:23pm
I started using the crutch via peach paper last year. It may not appeal to the purists but a 16hr cook doesn’t appeal to me.

G-man, I see your turkey and raise you another. These are my two beauties from last Thanksgiving via pellet smoker.

I’ve never been a fan of turkey because I always felt that it was too dry but I brine it for 24hrs prior to the cook and inject with garlic butter right before throwing them in and have turned it into one of my faves.

7/8/2019 4:54pm
Try the oil-less turkey fryer. You'll be amazed. Just like a fried turkey but no oil required.
TXDirt
7/8/2019 5:06pm
Kind of a hodge podge tonight but so yummy. Cowboy beans with bacon and bbq sauce. BBQ chicken with onions and mushrooms. Over some white rice.

plowboy
7/8/2019 5:21pm
G-man wrote:
Ok boys it's been a [b]YARDBIRD[/b] weekend.... Started off with some tasty chicken wings we tried for the first time. Have any of you guys had...
Started off with some tasty chicken wings we tried for the first time. Have any of you guys had the wings at Carrabbas? If you like them grilled crispy and not deep fried in greasy oil then you would luv them and they have a good kick to them as well--our favorite place for wings.
So I tried to find the recipe, and ended up with something close but even better imo, probably the home field advantage helped out. Cheerful

Chopped up a whole bird and this called for the old school Weber for that Smoky flavor the gas grill cannot replicate.
I don't have a smoker (yet) but for years I have mastered how to replicate the Weber as a smoker and it works pretty good. I use some of the Mesquite wood (soaked in water) from the tree in front of my home and Cowboy Charcoal and barely crack the vents.

Today's feast:

We try to have these spinach salads three to four times a week. It's loaded with vegetables, raw pumpkin seeds and also some cranberries.

Having Turkey once a year is not enough for me so we buy an extra during the Holidays as they are priced great so we throw it in the freeezer and smoke it in the summer.....Cool

Wink

The YardBird turned out great, meat fell off the bone very tender and had the Smokey Mesquite flavor. 😎
Good day for a Festivus!

Amazing stuff. I keep a turkey in the freezer all the time in case family decides to show up. I smoke it then shred it and drowned in bbq sauce. Poor man's bbq sammiches.

Those hounds couldn't be more transparent...they know there's a chance...however small...that you're gonna drop that bird. Then it's game onWoohoo .
neverwas
Fantasy
784th
7/9/2019 4:26pm
G-man wrote:
Thanks here ya go. We substituted putting on the grill for 45 minutes with putting in the oven at 440 for 45 minutes also trim the...
Thanks here ya go.
We substituted putting on the grill for 45 minutes with putting in the oven at 440 for 45 minutes also trim the fat off the wings before we put them in there.
I basted them and put them on the grill for 5 minutes per side on a cookie tray with foil.

Thanks G-MAN! I am going to try that soon.
I love turkey so we also have it a few times a year and I am familiar with the 108 degree Thanksgiving.
G-man
7/9/2019 7:03pm Edited Date/Time 7/9/2019 7:05pm
Thanks Harry the one the right we've only had a couple months and oh my God talk about an adjustment here at the household!!! Woohoo

Maggie is a Tasmanian devil wrapped in sheep's clothing! Evil
G-man
7/9/2019 7:09pm Edited Date/Time 7/9/2019 7:11pm
G-man wrote:
Ok boys it's been a [b]YARDBIRD[/b] weekend.... Started off with some tasty chicken wings we tried for the first time. Have any of you guys had...

Today's feast:

Wink

Good day for a Festivus!

plowboy wrote:
Amazing stuff. I keep a turkey in the freezer all the time in case family decides to show up. I smoke it then shred it and...
Amazing stuff. I keep a turkey in the freezer all the time in case family decides to show up. I smoke it then shred it and drowned in bbq sauce. Poor man's bbq sammiches.

Those hounds couldn't be more transparent...they know there's a chance...however small...that you're gonna drop that bird. Then it's game onWoohoo .
Thanks man and yeah they had their noses sniffing all afternoon...Grinning

Good to know I'm not the only guy that keeps a spare turkey in the freezer.
They take up a lot of room and this time we had to use a friend's freezer.
G-man
7/9/2019 7:13pm
G-man wrote:
Thanks here ya go. We substituted putting on the grill for 45 minutes with putting in the oven at 440 for 45 minutes also trim the...
Thanks here ya go.

neverwas wrote:
Thanks G-MAN! I am going to try that soon. I love turkey so we also have it a few times a year and I am familiar...
Thanks G-MAN! I am going to try that soon.
I love turkey so we also have it a few times a year and I am familiar with the 108 degree Thanksgiving.
You're welcome!

yeah I love turkey especially since I inherited high cholesterol from my dad.

I'm not supposed to eat red meat very much so that's why I try to eat as much chicken as I can but the turkey is a nice alternative.
G-man
7/10/2019 12:28pm
Harry,
That sounds very tasty but it kind of goes against what I'm trying to accomplish by eating healthy hence the chicken and turkey meals. Adding flour and barbecue sauce with a lot of sugar while taste great is not all that healthy.

Don't know how old you are but I'll be 61 in a month and at my age you really have to watch what you eat and also my genetics play a HUGE part in what I cook and consume.

I could eat Mexican food probably every day of the week, Ribs & Burgers steaks Etc but if I did that the consequences would not be good.

Of course I cheat and have a good steak or some Mexican food but everything in moderation. 😎
G-man
7/10/2019 5:00pm Edited Date/Time 7/10/2019 5:06pm
Oh trust me Harry I'm no Saint when it comes to dabbing into the Danger ZONE! Woohoo
Had a BBQ a few weeks ago and kept to my standard--Keep it Simple.

Sure was tasty though with the South-Western Mesquite smoke flavor....Cool
Chicken and Ribs with sides of corn and taters.

Thanks for the Wings recipe. Smile
G-man
7/10/2019 5:04pm Edited Date/Time 7/10/2019 5:53pm
We like to make FRESH Salsa from the local home grown markets. We slice open the Chili's, de-seed and saute.
Topped off with some fresh Cilantro and chopped Green Onions in a few minutes...

The Salsa you buy in the market is a joke in comparison and has preservatives and other crap in it.

TXDirt
7/10/2019 5:11pm
^^^ Looks tasty!!!

My brother in law makes a killer fresh salsa. Also my wife makes an amazing avocado salad. I’ll post some pics and a recipe next time she makes it.
plowboy
7/10/2019 5:39pm
G-man wrote:
We like to make FRESH Salsa from the local home grown markets. We slice open the Chili's, de-seed and saute. Topped off with some fresh Cilantro...
We like to make FRESH Salsa from the local home grown markets. We slice open the Chili's, de-seed and saute.
Topped off with some fresh Cilantro and chopped Green Onions in a few minutes...

The Salsa you buy in the market is a joke in comparison and has preservatives and other crap in it.

That looks delicious...and way too hot for my pansy tongue. I sweat eating Frenchs mustard.Blush
G-man
7/10/2019 5:51pm
plowboy wrote:
That looks delicious...and way too hot for my pansy tongue. I sweat eating Frenchs mustard.Blush
Ha! it's actually not as mean as it looks--it's Gringo Friendly...Cool

Has a little after-kick to it but nothing too bad. Only two Habanaros' were used in that big ol batch.

And NO GHOST-CHILI'S, I like my salsa edible and to be able to use on other dishes.
reded
7/10/2019 6:14pm
G-man wrote:
We like to make FRESH Salsa from the local home grown markets. We slice open the Chili's, de-seed and saute. Topped off with some fresh Cilantro...

plowboy wrote:
I’ll eat the heat until I’m miserable. Bad part is, it’s usually topped off with a 12pk which makes the next day a miserable experience in a small room with a water closet.

Post a reply to: Home Cooking Too Good Not To Share

The Latest