Home Cooking Too Good Not To Share

6/29/2019 9:26am
Man, you guys know how to eat! I'm originally a southwesterner raised by a Cajun father so TXDirt and Newmann's stuff really turns my crank. I haven't looked at all five pages yet, but I got through the first two. You Kansas boys, ifn I was there I'd try them cheese curds in a second. Anything with cheese can't be bad. It's kind of like bacon.

So, I'm doing a rib smoke today. I've already got them rubbed with brown sugar, coarse salt, pepper, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, celery salt, allspice and cayenne. However, and this is a great step to try if you've not, pull that membrane off the back of the ribs. Grab a corner with a paper towel and pull it off like you're peeling a sticker off a bumper or something.

I'm just about to put them in the smoker. It's noon here and they will spend six hours at 200 degrees in 3 separate smokes. First smoke Pecan. Second smoke Cherry. Third smoke Apple. That gives me a spicy sweet combo I like. Water pan is filled with cold Honey Crisp apple juice. Also, every time I change woods, I mop it with Stubbs.

With one hour left, I pull them, bring them inside, put them in heavy duty foil and slather them with more brown sugar and honey. Throw in a quarter cup of water or beer. Put them back in smoker wrapped up for the last hour.

Oh my look at that rich, spicy pecan smoke!

TXDirt
6/29/2019 9:36am
^^^ that looks real good Harrybro!!!

I love brown sugar on my ribs when smoking them. Definitely take that membrane off. Real easy to do with a paper towel like you said. Another thing I do is coat the ribs in regular yellow mustard. I’ve seen this technique on a lot of the smoking forums. I do this with ribs, chicken, pork butts. The mustard holds the seasoning on it and helps create a real nice crust. And the smoke completely neutralizes the mustard flavor. You would never guess it was slathered with mustard.

Looks real tasty! Share some more pics when it’s done!
6/29/2019 9:42am
TXDirt wrote:
^^^ that looks real good Harrybro!!! I love brown sugar on my ribs when smoking them. Definitely take that membrane off. Real easy to do with...

I love brown sugar on my ribs when smoking them. Definitely take that membrane off. Real easy to do with a paper towel like you said. Another thing I do is coat the ribs in regular yellow mustard. I’ve seen this technique on a lot of the smoking forums. I do this with ribs, chicken, pork butts. The mustard holds the seasoning on it and helps create a real nice crust. And the smoke completely neutralizes the mustard flavor. You would never guess it was slathered with mustard.

I've done the mustard before and meant to do it this go round and spaced it out. Olive oil is another good coating. Thanks, and I'll get some pics.
6/29/2019 9:45am
I forgot to add I always put one briquet in with the wood. That's where you really get a smoke ring from.

The Shop

TXDirt
6/29/2019 11:27am
Looks good!! If I have it on hand I’ll mix apple juice and apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle and spritz everything every 30 minutes or so.

I may have to head to the store and get some baby backs now!! Lol
GIwasB4
6/29/2019 12:14pm
Where is Newmann by the way, havent seen him lately?
6/29/2019 12:28pm
GIwasB4 wrote:
Where is Newmann by the way, havent seen him lately?
Apparently he has been placed on "Leave" by the higher authorities. It's a shame is what it is...a damn shame.
reded
6/29/2019 1:28pm
reded wrote:
Cheese curds are rad plowbro. Anyone who hasn’t partaken, will never understand.
plowboy wrote:
You are a Kansas boy...do you go to the fair at Hutch? We get there every year and are first customers at the cheese curd vendor...
You are a Kansas boy...do you go to the fair at Hutch? We get there every year and are first customers at the cheese curd vendor. My favorite.
I’ve never been to the fair but used to race in MN/WI D23 and those dudes always had cheese curds. There’s also a place in Osceola MO that makes damn good cheese.
TXDirt
6/29/2019 2:09pm
^^^ heck yeah!!! Looks awesome!
TXDirt
7/3/2019 2:21pm
I’ll do mine hotter and faster as well. Usually about 250-275 for three hours. Sometimes I’ll wrap and cook another 45-60 minutes. I’ll take them back out and sometimes I’ll put directly over my fire box to get just a little char on them. Really just firming them up a bit. Sometimes I’ll put some sauce on and the direct heat caramelizes it a bit. Depends on how I feel.
G-man
7/3/2019 5:49pm
TXDirt wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/06/29/357212/s1200_7EA28030_D320_44EC_A99A_FF5E949C645F.jpg[/img]

Ok I'm diggin your taste palette so far (looks really good) but WTF is up with the Monster can for Breakfast or was that merely for show! Woohoo
TXDirt
7/3/2019 5:57pm
G-man wrote:
Ok I'm diggin your taste palette so far (looks really good) but WTF is up with the Monster can for Breakfast or was that merely for...
Ok I'm diggin your taste palette so far (looks really good) but WTF is up with the Monster can for Breakfast or was that merely for show! Woohoo
My fridge is packed with Monster's and Rockstar drinks. I actually like them. Some really good flavors. I know they are not good for me and I will need to give them up. I use to talk shit about Monster, having never tried it though. I absolutely hate Mtn Dew and thought that's probably what it tasted like. Then I tried some of their Monster juices a few months ago and they are friggin good. I don't care for the original green monsters. But the monster juice blends are really good.
G-man
7/3/2019 5:58pm
Man, you guys know how to eat! I'm originally a southwesterner raised by a Cajun father so TXDirt and Newmann's stuff really turns my crank. I...
Man, you guys know how to eat! I'm originally a southwesterner raised by a Cajun father so TXDirt and Newmann's stuff really turns my crank. I haven't looked at all five pages yet, but I got through the first two. You Kansas boys, ifn I was there I'd try them cheese curds in a second. Anything with cheese can't be bad. It's kind of like bacon.

So, I'm doing a rib smoke today. I've already got them rubbed with brown sugar, coarse salt, pepper, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, celery salt, allspice and cayenne. However, and this is a great step to try if you've not, pull that membrane off the back of the ribs. Grab a corner with a paper towel and pull it off like you're peeling a sticker off a bumper or something.

I'm just about to put them in the smoker. It's noon here and they will spend six hours at 200 degrees in 3 separate smokes. First smoke Pecan. Second smoke Cherry. Third smoke Apple. That gives me a spicy sweet combo I like. Water pan is filled with cold Honey Crisp apple juice. Also, every time I change woods, I mop it with Stubbs.

With one hour left, I pull them, bring them inside, put them in heavy duty foil and slather them with more brown sugar and honey. Throw in a quarter cup of water or beer. Put them back in smoker wrapped up for the last hour.

Oh my look at that rich, spicy pecan smoke!

WoW that looks good--I bet your neighbors luv getting a wiff of that! Cheerful
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1062nd
7/3/2019 7:15pm
Seafood pasta with trinidad scorpions for some fire!

TXDirt
7/3/2019 7:19pm Edited Date/Time 7/3/2019 7:20pm
^^^ That looks awesome Ezza!! I wound eat a plate of that right now!!
mxtech1
7/3/2019 7:53pm
How do you guys do your chicken drumsticks? Any good tips?

EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1062nd
7/3/2019 8:55pm
Cheers TX, I feel the same way about everything in this thread!
MXant15
Fantasy
903rd
7/3/2019 10:35pm Edited Date/Time 7/3/2019 11:07pm
mxtech1 wrote:
How do you guys do your chicken drumsticks? Any good tips?

If you have time, and I mean like 30 min for prep kinda time, try bacon wrapped chicken lollipops.. unbelievable!!! Search YouTube for some how to recipes.. totally worth it brother! Trust me
NvHermit
Fantasy
4198th
7/4/2019 1:38pm
Here's a tip for ribs, you can fit more and get better air flow.

7/4/2019 2:35pm
NvHermit wrote:
Here's a tip for ribs, you can fit more and get better air flow. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/07/04/358138/s1200_ULGJ4877_1.jpg[/img]
Here's a tip for ribs, you can fit more and get better air flow.

Interesting, Hermit.
TXDirt
7/4/2019 4:03pm
Looks good Hermit!! I’ll tie mine up if I’m cooking several racks. And you do get better air flow. I need to do that more often. My mom does that with her pit barrel smoker and her ribs are always amazing.
G-man
7/4/2019 8:53pm Edited Date/Time 7/4/2019 9:00pm
Keeping it simple on the 4th after a killer spinach mixed salad--Surf & Turf 😎
Uncle Tony
7/4/2019 9:08pm
newmann wrote:
Looks GREAT! Added points for Newmann approved plates!
Beautiful meals on paper plates! Newmann approval, classless lol, just kidding mann
G-man
7/4/2019 9:27pm
newmann wrote:
Uncle Tony wrote:
Beautiful meals on paper plates! Newmann approval, classless lol, just kidding mann
It's not a paper plate! Woohoo haha it was a big piece of meat and Tater.
Uncle Tony
7/4/2019 9:55pm
newmann wrote:
Uncle Tony wrote:
G-man wrote:
It's not a paper plate! Woohoo haha it was a big piece of meat and Tater.
I’m Italian sort of, we take eating seriously lol
G-man
7/4/2019 10:03pm
Uncle Tony wrote:
I’m Italian sort of, we take eating seriously lol
Oh yes I agree you won't see any of my gourmet meals on paper plates!

not even when I'm camping I use those old-school camping plates.

That should be some kind of crime. 🤣
HackMan162
7/5/2019 7:42am
TXDirt wrote:
^^^ that looks real good Harrybro!!! I love brown sugar on my ribs when smoking them. Definitely take that membrane off. Real easy to do with...

I've got a couple briskets on today (July 5th celebration with the extended family), and mustard rubbed one of them before adding my normal salt/pepper/paprika/chilipowder rub. First time doing it, but I have heard good things.
7/5/2019 7:53am
TXDirt wrote:

HackMan162 wrote:
I've got a couple briskets on today (July 5th celebration with the extended family), and mustard rubbed one of them before adding my normal salt/pepper/paprika/chilipowder rub...
I've got a couple briskets on today (July 5th celebration with the extended family), and mustard rubbed one of them before adding my normal salt/pepper/paprika/chilipowder rub. First time doing it, but I have heard good things.
Hackbro, first time doing brisket or using the mustard? Keep that thing in there for at least 12 hours. Do you use the "Texas Crutch" method?
HackMan162
7/6/2019 10:28am
TXDirt wrote:

HackMan162 wrote:
I've got a couple briskets on today (July 5th celebration with the extended family), and mustard rubbed one of them before adding my normal salt/pepper/paprika/chilipowder rub...
Hackbro, first time doing brisket or using the mustard? Keep that thing in there for at least 12 hours. Do you use the "Texas Crutch" method?
Sorry Harry. First time doing the mustard thing. Turned out pretty awesome.

I cheated this time. Had some obligations so didnt have the time to babysit the smoker. Here's what I did:
Smoked the two briskets at 230 for about 5 hours on the Fourth, until internal temp was 150. Pulled them off, double wrapped them in foil and put in a dry cooler. Left home and went to a party. Got home about 4 hours later and put those into the fridge overnight.

The next morning, fired up my gas Weber and got it to 230 and put the briskets on, still wrapped. Left them on until internal temp hit 203. Took about 4 hours or so. Pulled them off and threw them in the dry cooler for a couple hours. As everything else was getting finished up, fired up the gas grill and got it to about 500 degrees. Unwrapped the briskets and threw them on for a few minutes to crispen up the bark (which is soft because the wrap).

These things turned out awesome. Sorry, forgot to snap pics. I preferred the mustard one...my brother in law liked the other one better. Most other people couldnt differentiate the two.

Post a reply to: Home Cooking Too Good Not To Share

The Latest