Home Brewing

Edited Date/Time 2/24/2018 6:19pm
Has anyone dabbled in home brewing/moonshine making? I wouldn't mind trying it and was looking for opinions on certain kits that are good to use, technique's one needs to master, etc?
thanks
|
AHRMA361
Fantasy
232nd
2/22/2018 7:38am
Has anyone dabbled in home brewing/moonshine making? I wouldn't mind trying it and was looking for opinions on certain kits that are good to use, technique's...
Has anyone dabbled in home brewing/moonshine making? I wouldn't mind trying it and was looking for opinions on certain kits that are good to use, technique's one needs to master, etc?
thanks
I did beer for about 10 years. Made about 150-200 gallons a year.

I never went the full mash route as I had very good results with extracts plus grains.

I am actually thinking of taking it back up again. Really enjoy home brewing beer.

Now, liquor disstilation, that for sure would be Hillbilly's area of expertise.
JRT812
2/22/2018 7:48am
iwreckalot dabbles or used to dabble in it if I remember correctly. I'm sure he will chime in with some pointers and lessons learned

The Shop

2/22/2018 8:22am
I never did, but I could get you a recipe for corn moonshine. A guy I work with makes it every year, it’s a peach cobbler moonshine. I don’t drink anything but beer and I don’t eat peaches, but this shit is yummy.
brlatm
2/22/2018 10:15am
Wreckalot likes them dark ones that you need to pour through a coffee strainer first to knock some head off.

He's got a pimp setup going on, I'm sure he will pop-in when he's not fighting off the homeless in Ft Worth.
newmann
2/22/2018 10:28am
I bought some basic supplies and brewed up a few of the 5 gallon beer kits from Brewers Best. The coffee porter and the dunkelweizen were pretty damn good for a first timers effort.

IWreckALot
2/22/2018 11:14am Edited Date/Time 2/22/2018 11:46am
I can write a novel on this stuff so maybe a more pointed question will get you an answer you're looking for. It took me and a buddy about 4 brews to get where we are now.

The very basic process is to extract sugar from grain to create a sugar water, boil the "sugar water" and add hops, get it from boiling to a cool temp very fast, throw yeast in, let it sit for 2-4 weeks, then carbonate it. After the boil, sanitation is the most important thing that can ruin your beer if you're not extremely careful.

I have found that I don't want to waste time on a one gallon batch. When we brew a light beer, we do 10 gallons at a time and if we brew a higher ABV beer we do 5 gallons. I give most of it away. Just enjoy the process and enjoy drinking it.

Startup materials are relatively expensive, and there is a learning curve. But once you get your process down, 10 gallons of a light beer (100 bottles of beer) costs me around $40 in ingredients and I like it better than anything you can buy at the store.

Moonshine has a few other pieces of equipment that add to the startup and it's a little more time consuming. Also a small risk of explosion that doesn't exist with beer. I haven't gone this route but plan to sometime this year.
IWreckALot
2/22/2018 11:41am
brlatm wrote:
Wreckalot likes them dark ones that you need to pour through a coffee strainer first to knock some head off. He's got a pimp setup going...
Wreckalot likes them dark ones that you need to pour through a coffee strainer first to knock some head off.

He's got a pimp setup going on, I'm sure he will pop-in when he's not fighting off the homeless in Ft Worth.
I’m not a one trick pony anymore.

IWreckALot
2/22/2018 11:43am
But I still like my stouts! This here is a 16% bourbon aged stout.

Here is a 10% doppelbock.

2/22/2018 11:47am
brlatm wrote:
Wreckalot likes them dark ones that you need to pour through a coffee strainer first to knock some head off. He's got a pimp setup going...

IWreckALot wrote:
I’m not a one trick pony anymore. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/02/22/245494/s1200_E9D29F5F_BF75_45B0_855D_07FACBD81EA9.jpg[/img]
I’m not a one trick pony anymore.

That right there looks legit. thanks for the info wreckalot, I was just wondering if the price for supplies and what not was worth it. I would love to come from work and enjoy a homemade brew that I did myself. I didn't want to spend crazy money and then ruin the batch or it not taste up to par.
borg
2/22/2018 12:06pm
Home brewing is fun until you get to the bottling. I eventually went kegerator. Faster and much easier. No yeast slug.
IWreckALot
2/22/2018 12:11pm
That right there looks legit. thanks for the info wreckalot, I was just wondering if the price for supplies and what not was worth it. I...
That right there looks legit. thanks for the info wreckalot, I was just wondering if the price for supplies and what not was worth it. I would love to come from work and enjoy a homemade brew that I did myself. I didn't want to spend crazy money and then ruin the batch or it not taste up to par.
It's like anything else. Probably going to suck a couple of times till you figure it out then it gets better and better.

We started with a one gallon kit to understand the process, then decided to buy the equipment.

For first starting out, I can give you a recipe of something we like, or you can buy a kit that is made for homebrewing. I'd avoid a lot of the bigger name stuff.

This is what you need to get started - you can probably find the stuff used for cheaper but we bought all new.

Brew kettle - $200
Ice chest with a few modifications and fabricated parts, nothing too crazy. Maybe $50
Propane burner and propane - $100
10 gallon water ice chest - $30
Crash cooler (this is optional but highly suggested) - $100 or you can make your own for half the price.

Here is our setup.

IWreckALot
2/22/2018 12:14pm
borg wrote:
Home brewing is fun until you get to the bottling. I eventually went kegerator. Faster and much easier. No yeast slug.
Yeah bottling is a bit of a trick. We used those fastferment fermenting jugs for awhile. Made pulling the yeast cake pretty easy but you still had a small yeast layer in the bottle from the bottle conditioning. We keg everything now and bottle from that regularly.
brlatm
2/22/2018 12:35pm
Well I know whom is supplying the adult beverages when we hit up Canyon West now! Bring some of that lighter stuff for my fat ass when we go hit up the sticks.

Looks good!
IWreckALot
2/22/2018 12:49pm
brlatm wrote:
Well I know whom is supplying the adult beverages when we hit up Canyon West now! Bring some of that lighter stuff for my fat ass...
Well I know whom is supplying the adult beverages when we hit up Canyon West now! Bring some of that lighter stuff for my fat ass when we go hit up the sticks.

Looks good!
Yes sir. I’ll bring a lot. Lol.
Electro21
Fantasy
75th
2/23/2018 6:17am Edited Date/Time 2/23/2018 6:24am
I've been home brewing probably 8 years or so. I started with the Mr. Beer kits and progressed to a fancy 3 kettle setup. The easiest way to start out is with a simple extract recipe kit. Find a home brew shop near you and they can help you out a lot, some even give classes. Home brew clubs are helpful as well. There are also some places that let you brew on premises. You basically rent their equipment. A little pricey, but it let's you try it out before investing in equipment.

I recently bought a Robobrew; cheap version of a Grainfather. They let you do all grain in one vessel. I really like it and you can distill with it. Give them a Google search. Robobrew is about $400 and Grainfather a little over a $1000.
Electro21
Fantasy
75th
2/23/2018 6:19am
Imperial Cherry Bourbon Stout I have aging.

2/23/2018 6:30am
Thanks again all for the info, I am leaning towards trying the beer route before I get into the distilling thing. Seems to be the easier route..... no?
IWreckALot
2/23/2018 6:52am
Thanks again all for the info, I am leaning towards trying the beer route before I get into the distilling thing. Seems to be the easier...
Thanks again all for the info, I am leaning towards trying the beer route before I get into the distilling thing. Seems to be the easier route..... no?
Brewing is the first step. Distilling from what I have seen is an extension of brewing.
IWreckALot
2/23/2018 6:56am
Electro21 wrote:
Imperial Cherry Bourbon Stout I have aging. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/02/23/245623/s1200_20180223_090937.jpg[/img]
Imperial Cherry Bourbon Stout I have aging.

What's your recipe on the Cherry Stout? OG and FG?

I like a good bourbon stout. How many uses do you have on your barrel? We've been debating whether we want to buy a barrel and give it a go, but they're a little steep for a barrel especially if you only get a couple of uses before you lose the effect of the barrel aging.

We have added bourbon and oak chips to a stout. Overdid it on the bourbon on one and the last one probably under-bourboned it but I like a hint of bourbon. Not overpowering.
Kenny Lingus
2/23/2018 8:33am
I didn't want to make the leap to full grain brewing so started trying meads and ciders. This started as apple cider with one pound of honey per gallon of juice. Primary fermentation for 5 months then secondary with tart cherry concentrate and more honey.

Electro21
Fantasy
75th
2/23/2018 12:48pm
IWreckALot wrote:
What's your recipe on the Cherry Stout? OG and FG? I like a good bourbon stout. How many uses do you have on your barrel? We've...
What's your recipe on the Cherry Stout? OG and FG?

I like a good bourbon stout. How many uses do you have on your barrel? We've been debating whether we want to buy a barrel and give it a go, but they're a little steep for a barrel especially if you only get a couple of uses before you lose the effect of the barrel aging.

We have added bourbon and oak chips to a stout. Overdid it on the bourbon on one and the last one probably under-bourboned it but I like a hint of bourbon. Not overpowering.
I will get the recipe tomorrow, it's on my computer in Beer Smith. I am on night shift 6 pm to 6 am and had doctor appointment s today. Long day!

It may not be my best, it was my second beer on the Robobrew and I had some issues that were my fault. It smelled and tasted decent prior to going in the barrel. My old setup is a 3 kettle HERMS with pumps. I

There is distillery in Richmond,VA that sells freshly dumped whiskey barrels on occasion and sometimes you can get them for $30. I usually only do 2 batches. One strong beer and then a sour that I age for long time. Then use the wood in the smoker.

For fruit, I use puree from Amorretti. Had good luck with them, but the cherry did smell slightly medicinal so waiting to see on it.
FiendzCC
2/23/2018 3:44pm
newmann wrote:
I bought some basic supplies and brewed up a few of the 5 gallon beer kits from Brewers Best. The coffee porter and the dunkelweizen were...
I bought some basic supplies and brewed up a few of the 5 gallon beer kits from Brewers Best. The coffee porter and the dunkelweizen were pretty damn good for a first timers effort.

Exactly what I started with. Looking to get back into it this summer.
2/23/2018 6:01pm
my pops and I have done a few batches of home brew. the smell of brewing might be my favorite scent ever. give it a shot and have fun!!
Electro21
Fantasy
75th
2/24/2018 6:19pm
Here is my cherry bourbon recipe. Brew day didn't go as planned, the recipe was created for HERMS setup as the Robobrew can't handle this much grain. My OG was off and came in at 1.093. To reach the correct volume in the barrel I brewed up a batch of stout and topped the barrel off once the primary fermentation was over.

I tweaked the grain amounts a little bit to fit the capacity of the Robobrew and I used Hopshot instead of the Columbia hops. I was busy when I transfered to the barrel so I forgot to get a FG reading. It wouldn't have been totally accurate though because I am sure the beer picked up some of the bourbon.

I couldn't figure out to post the Beer Smith print out so I just copied and pasted.

Cherry Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout Imperial Stout (20 C)
Type: All Grain Batch Size: 6.08 gal
Boil Size: 7.40 gal
Boil Time: 90 min
End of Boil Vol: 6.41 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 5.55 gal
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
Est Original Gravity: 1.112 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 12.6 %
Bitterness: 62.2 IBUs
Est Color: 76.8 SRM
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Sparge Water: 3.45 gal
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE
Est Mash PH: 5.25
Measured Mash PH: 5.20

Ingredients

10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 40.8 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.2 %
2 lbs BlackSwaen©Coffee (330.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.2 %
1 lbs 12.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4 7.1 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 5 5.1 %
1 lbs Black Barley (Briess) (500.0 SRM) Grain 6 4.1 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 7 4.1 %
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 8 4.1 %
3 lbs DME Golden Light (Briess) (4.0 SRM) Dry Extract 9 12.2 %
1 lbs Molasses (80.0 SRM) Sugar 10 4.1 %
1.75 oz Columbia [10.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 11 30.4 IBUs
1.50 oz Columbia [10.80 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 12 20.0 IBUs
1.25 oz Columbia [10.80 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 13 11.8 IBUs
2.0 pkg Bourbon Whisky Yeast (White Labs #WLP070), 1200mL starter

2/24/2018 6:35pm
my pops and I have done a few batches of home brew. the smell of brewing might be my favorite scent ever. give it a shot...
my pops and I have done a few batches of home brew. the smell of brewing might be my favorite scent ever. give it a shot and have fun!!
Ha, same here. A lot of my childhood memories are of tanks in the bath, in the store cupboard etc, that grainy/earthy smell, and of course sneaking in there whenever possible behind my parents backs for some tasting session... I'll have to ask him whether he wants to do it again, been more than 20 yrs now.

Post a reply to: Home Brewing

The Latest