Holidays, shopping and something I have always thought

flarider
Edited Date/Time 1/22/2012 10:58am
I have always wondered why stores don't consider the men when doing the layout of the store?
They always try to calculate dollar per square foot, but leave out dollar per minute. Logic dictates that the more time you keep a shopper in your store, the more money that shopper is likely to spend, right?
So what is one major thing that reduces the female shopper's time in a store or mall?
The man...boyfriend, husband, even son
So why don't these stores cater to this important segment? You want to keep the shopper shopping (and spending), but that can't be done if the male is uncomfortable and pushing the female to leave or "speed it up"
To me, it would be logical for these store to have a "man corner" with a couple chairs and maybe even a TV showing ESPN or maybe even a video loop of some various sports or extreme competition, just something to visually occupy the male while he sits quietly and allows his counterpart to shop, and therefore theoretically spend more.
Yes, it would reduce a store's "dollar per square foot" equation, which is how most stores measure it's profitability, but it would increase the shopper's "time per visit" equation that would increase profits.
Retail theory is screwed in this aspect

Another idea I though of is why don't malls set up a single bay in the mall, in a high profile location as a "man check," similar to a cloakroom. A place where women can "check" their men in, and he can sit, watch a little TV and relax while she shops. Maybe sell soda, coffee or small snacks, while allowing the man to sit and watch TV so she can shop. This is in the mall's best interest, because it will keep the woman in the mall longer, spending more with their tenants. I wonder if this could even be profitable?

Yes, it's a bit of a rant, but how many times have you gone to the mall with your wife or girlfriend and only finding yourself seeking a chair in every store you enter? Also, don't you hate it when someone else is already sitting in one (if there is one)? I actually say to the person working there, who asks "may I help you" when we walk in, "Yeah, where's your man chair?"

But, holidays are upon us boys, so while you're looking for that man chair in the Gap, Macy's or Aeropostale....remember this post

BTW, Hollister stores, while loud, usually have a good supply of comfortable wing back chairs
|
SteveS
11/21/2009 7:21am
Last time I went shopping with my wife in Kansas City, the department store (Macy's?) had a lounge/waiting room area with couches, tables, chairs, magazines, and TV between the shopping floor and the dressing rooms. She could go out and look at clothes with her grandmother, then come try them on and show them to me while I sat in an overstuffed chair and read magazines with CNNHN droning on in the background.

The smaller stores you usually have to sit out in the mall, which precludes looking over the prizes before acquisition. That might increase sales.
kawboy388
11/21/2009 7:42am
Lots of western wear stores used to give you free beer, that'll keep ya there a while.
Kinetic1
11/21/2009 5:04pm
I avoid shopping with my wife as much as possible. She is pretty good about though. She doesn't dawdle too bady when I am along. I usually don't have to find a chair but there are times it would be nice.
eddie
11/21/2009 5:35pm Edited Date/Time 11/21/2009 5:35pm
or at least a good strip joint .

The Shop

dougie
11/21/2009 5:41pm
Sears has the tool dept.
Biscuit
11/21/2009 6:03pm
Dave, I agree with your logic. I usualy head down to the Ruby Tuesday and pull up to the bar. When she is done, a simple call to the cell and I meet her at the truck. We have this agreement and it works quite well. This way she cant bitch about me not going with her.
YZ441
11/21/2009 6:07pm
vegas does have that just try the fashion show youd be suprised.
oldx
11/21/2009 8:24pm
Hell buy her her own car, then you don't have to go with her.
Trinitite
11/21/2009 11:32pm
flarider wrote:
I have always wondered why stores don't consider the men when doing the layout of the store? They always try to calculate dollar per square foot...
I have always wondered why stores don't consider the men when doing the layout of the store?
They always try to calculate dollar per square foot, but leave out dollar per minute. Logic dictates that the more time you keep a shopper in your store, the more money that shopper is likely to spend, right?
So what is one major thing that reduces the female shopper's time in a store or mall?
So why don't these stores cater to this important segment? You want to keep the shopper shopping (and spending), but that can't be done if the male is uncomfortable and pushing the female to leave or "speed it up"
To me, it would be logical for these store to have a "man corner" with a couple chairs and maybe even a TV showing ESPN or maybe even a video loop of some various sports or extreme competition, just something to visually occupy the male while he sits quietly and allows his counterpart to shop, and therefore theoretically spend more.
Yes, it would reduce a store's "dollar per square foot" equation, which is how most stores measure it's profitability, but it would increase the shopper's "time per visit" equation that would increase profits.

Another idea I though of is why don't malls set up a single bay in the mall, in a high profile location as a "man check," similar to a cloakroom. A place where women can "check" their men in, and he can sit, watch a little TV and relax while she shops. Maybe sell soda, coffee or small snacks, while allowing the man to sit and watch TV so she can shop. This is in the mall's best interest, because it will keep the woman in the mall longer, spending more with their tenants. I wonder if this could even be profitable?

Yes, it's a bit of a rant, but how many times have you gone to the mall with your wife or girlfriend and only finding yourself seeking a chair in every store you enter? Also, don't you hate it when someone else is already sitting in one (if there is one)? I actually say to the person working there, who asks "may I help you" when we walk in, "Yeah, where's your man chair?"

But, holidays are upon us boys, so while you're looking for that man chair in the Gap, Macy's or Aeropostale....remember this post

BTW, Hollister stores, while loud, usually have a good supply of comfortable wing back chairs
you really have too much time on your hands.
11/22/2009 12:37am
The longer I stay in a store the more time it gives me to realize I don't need any of this shit.
mxpimp
11/22/2009 5:52am
I hate shopping with my wife. That's why I don't do it.
WhKnuckle
11/22/2009 5:58am
My wife and I both hate shopping. It took me a while to find a girl who hated shopping, but when I found one, I married her.
flarider
11/22/2009 6:11am Edited Date/Time 11/22/2009 6:12am
Trinitite wrote:
you really have too much time on your hands.
People like you can't see the bigger picture.

Look around a mall.

This isn't about me, it's about business and profit

This is about entrepreneurial thinking, solving a problem and creating a profit from it.

You know, big boy thinking....
Racer92
11/22/2009 6:57am
WhKnuckle wrote:
My wife and I both hate shopping. It took me a while to find a girl who hated shopping, but when I found one, I married...
My wife and I both hate shopping. It took me a while to find a girl who hated shopping, but when I found one, I married her.
Felicia HATES shopping and buys most her clothes via the internet and its delivered to our door. (Victoria Secret, JC Penny, etc) We get up extra early sunday mornings because she prefers to get groceries when no one is up and the store is almost empty. Heck the girl doesnt even wear makeup,, very low maintenance.
TerryK
11/22/2009 7:04am
That very interesting dave, and it makes sense until you realize that most men don't have the balls to tell their woman to hurry up when they are shopping.....at least, those that want to KEEP their balls don't!!

Tongue
TerryK
11/22/2009 7:06am
WhKnuckle wrote:
My wife and I both hate shopping. It took me a while to find a girl who hated shopping, but when I found one, I married...
Racer92 wrote:
Felicia HATES shopping and buys most her clothes via the internet and its delivered to our door. (Victoria Secret, JC Penny, etc) We get up extra...
Felicia HATES shopping and buys most her clothes via the internet and its delivered to our door. (Victoria Secret, JC Penny, etc) We get up extra early sunday mornings because she prefers to get groceries when no one is up and the store is almost empty. Heck the girl doesnt even wear makeup,, very low maintenance.
Congrats to you both, especially you crash92. Victoria's Secret???? Faggetatboutit!!!!
YZmom
11/22/2009 7:12am
Dave, I think you have a great idea. My husband will go shopping with me but I can hear the sighs under his breath that he tries to hide and he trys to hurry me so I don't like shopping with him. I hate to shop anyway but I don't want someone telling me how and how fast to shop! He would be home watching a ballgame anyway but I think he feels that he should go with me now and then. He won't go into a Hobby Lobby period! I would rather go grocery shopping without him because I don't spend as much money. !
rubarb
11/22/2009 7:53am
flarider wrote:
I have always wondered why stores don't consider the men when doing the layout of the store? They always try to calculate dollar per square foot...

"I have always wondered why stores don't consider the men when doing the layout of the store?"

If you look at the big picture, there really aren't any men left in this country.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1398th
11/22/2009 8:14am
American eagle now has tv's and places to sit. Atleast the new one here does.

So does my local guess store. Ofcourse, I don't need a chair for a reason to hang out in there!!!!
tcannon521
Fantasy
1398th
11/22/2009 8:19am
Let's flip this though.

My wife hates sports stores, the apple store, best buy and motorcycle shops. How do we make those more friendly for women?

Truthfully most men spend more money than women when we get hooked on something.
88sdad
11/22/2009 8:29am Edited Date/Time 11/22/2009 8:31am
Most mall's already have sports bars, restaurants and food a court.

Oh, and Sharper Image.
flarider
11/22/2009 9:11am
88sdad wrote:

Oh, and Sharper Image.
Sharper Image?

Been a while since you've been to the mall, huh?
WhKnuckle
11/22/2009 12:04pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
Racer92 wrote:
Felicia HATES shopping and buys most her clothes via the internet and its delivered to our door. (Victoria Secret, JC Penny, etc) We get up extra...
And she rides motorcycles and likes old-school rock and roll. What more could a guy want?

Happy Thanksgiving to both of you...you both have a lot to be thankful for.
Blake
11/22/2009 12:05pm
I agree with this thread. You do have to go once and a while, or you get stuck with the old lady somewhere so it's an inevitable time sooner or later..

Most Macys have restaurants inside, nice ones, albeit expensive.

I agree with Goldenstate the most.

The problem is a 15 minute shopping deals turns into a 5 hour deal with women, so I just don't go if at all possible.

Sears is a good time killer.........TV's, tools, etc.

One way to get the woman to hurry up is to start asking the hot girls working in the stores if they would MODEL some stuff for you. You know, to see if it would look good on yours.

OR, if in a store with Mens shit, go start trying stuff on and start asking the hot chicks what they think of it.

KOHLS isn't bad. You can kill a bit of time there.
PLUS, the old lady wont spend as much there.

WhKnuckle
11/22/2009 12:17pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:04pm
One great thing to do this Christmas season is to buy fewer presents and give more to whatever charity you believe in. Most people - other than kids - really don't want things anyway, and all the shopping and stuff is a lot of stress, and winds up mostly being stuff in people's attics anyway.

Our church is a part of the Advent Conspiracy, here's a video. It's primary foreign mission is drilling water wells so villiages in Africa, Central and South America and India/SW Asia can have clean drinking water, but we also do all kinds of social-needs things in our own neighborhood.

You may not want to go that direction, but think about it - maybe the American Cancer Society, Public Broadcasting, United Way, whatever. One statistic that gets talked about a lot is that Americans spend somewhere around 400 billion dollars on Christmas each year, and with only 10 billion dollars we could drill enough water wells to make sure that every person on the Earth has clean water. Whether we argue about the numbers or not, it's worth thinking about.

What could the charities of the world do with only half of what Americans spend on Christmas every year?
flarider
11/22/2009 12:20pm
Giving to less fortunate?

Wow, you really are a liberal pussy

WhKnuckle
11/22/2009 12:21pm
flarider wrote:
Giving to less fortunate?

Wow, you really are a liberal pussy

Guilty....
Rooster
11/22/2009 1:21pm
There's a hooters at the west edmonton mall here.

I don't have a wife, but when I make my annual christmas trip to the mall it's sure a nice spot to take a break and have some lunch.
88sdad
11/22/2009 1:45pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:04pm
88sdad wrote:

Oh, and Sharper Image.
flarider wrote:
Sharper Image?

Been a while since you've been to the mall, huh?
Ya, I don't do malls well, so it's been a few years.

I take it, there is no longer a Sharper Image?
flarider
11/22/2009 2:59pm
Out of business, bankrupt

Few years now

Post a reply to: Holidays, shopping and something I have always thought

The Latest