Hit a mailbox.

Related:
Create New Tag

3/5/2018 11:49 PM

Newmann I'm looking for you, but appreciate any/all suggestions the rest of y'all got.

I was backing down the street going to a friend's house, she was having a party and so was her neighbor. Street was packed. So anyways, watching the mailbox behind me I forgot about the one I was next to....
Photo


Photo

Photo

Photo
Last picture is some damage to the front bumper, not sure how that happened. Noticed like a week after I bought the truck.
Got a quote today... Nearly $1900!!! The guy said the fender isn't worth fixing, so they quoted replacing the fender.
Does that seem right?
And should I put this on my insurance? I think my deductible is $1000, I already pay $250 a month for insurance. I'd rather avoid that getting even higher.
I'm 24, almost 25. I seem to get a ticket every year, but no accidents as far as insurance knows. Taylorsville has very little crime.

Btw, place I went to has good reviews on the Google (best around). I'm not gonna divulge into the problems, but these people did not seem intelligent or professional. Should I look into some places further away? I'm feeling I ought to but I'm also gonna need a ride there and back.

|

3/6/2018 5:54 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/6/2018 6:03 AM

Bummer, didn’t you just get that truck? I would get a few estimates and pay to have it fixed by whoever seemed the most competent, even if they were a little more expensive. With $1,000 deductible, I’d say if you made a claim you would pay the $900 difference in increased premiums, if not end up paying more. Was the mailbox yours? If not, do the owners want it repaired/replaced? How much is that?

|

3/6/2018 6:10 AM

Newmann certainly is the man to ask about anything auto-collision. When I was at his shop those few times, he had all manner of MEGA smashed up stuff he was fixing. Some of it very high end automobiles that were totally fubar'd and he made 'em look new again. Homeboy knows his shit !

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Non-Moto,21/Free-Newmann,1328320

|

"We don't rent pigs."

3/6/2018 7:19 AM

SEE ARE125 wrote:

Bummer, didn’t you just get that truck? I would get a few estimates and pay to have it fixed by whoever seemed the most competent, even if they were a little more expensive. With $1,000 deductible, I’d say if you made a claim you would pay the $900 difference in increased premiums, if not end up paying more. Was the mailbox yours? If not, do the owners want it repaired/replaced? How much is that?

Yeah man, been idk 2 months? Windshield got chipped too, and the bed is already looking a little worse for wear. I was figuring my premium would go up and end up costing way more than the repair, I'm hoping someone who works in the insurance company can chime in though, ya never know I *might just get lucky.
Not my mailbox, it's her neighbors box. Wasn't really damaged, just covered in red paint dust and twisted. Mailbox was put in the ground with a post hole digger and thus it's just a big ole cylinder of concrete holding it in. So I twisted it back straight and wiped the dust off, didn't wobble or feel loose to me. Told her to let her neighbors know I had hit in case it gets to wobbling, but I aint heard from them yet. Don't figure I will. The mailbox won that battle by a large margin lol honestly I'm kinda disappointed in how weak the trucks paint is. Dipshit who gave me the quote actually made it worse with his fingernail... that's another story.

|

3/6/2018 7:21 AM

JAFO92 wrote:

Newmann certainly is the man to ask about anything auto-collision. When I was at his shop those few times, he had all manner of MEGA smashed up stuff he was fixing. Some of it very high end automobiles that were totally fubar'd and he made 'em look new again. Homeboy knows his shit !

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Non-Moto,21/Free-Newmann,1328320

I've seen some of this guys work before, looks like he knows how to work a rattle can. I'm pretty good at painting myself, I do this 3D effect. Looks pretty cool. Some people call it "running" but I call it tiger stripes. Don't work so good on vehicles though cause it aint aerodynamic.

|

3/6/2018 7:40 AM

Sorry to see your new ride get dinged! Did your quote include the bumper damage on the other side too? If you went the insurance route they would consider that two separate claims therefore two deductibles. That would be more than the damage itself so no need to file. Check references on the shop, if you don’t have a good feeling then go elsewhere. Go OEM on the fender, not aftermarket.

And about you running your paint? Just remember, every artist must sign his work!wink

|

3/6/2018 7:56 AM

newmann wrote:

Sorry to see your new ride get dinged! Did your quote include the bumper damage on the other side too? If you went the insurance route they would consider that two separate claims therefore two deductibles. That would be more than the damage itself so no need to file. Check references on the shop, if you don’t have a good feeling then go elsewhere. Go OEM on the fender, not aftermarket.

And about you running your paint? Just remember, every artist must sign his work!wink

Yeah the quote includes the bumper, good point about that being 2 different claims. Didn't even think of that pinch
Do you figure that fender ain't fixable? I'm nervous about letting people hang a new fender, it's easy to get the body lines wrong and I'm a picky bastard. I can hang a fender good enough, I might just buy the fender myself and have it painted lol


I sign everything I do! Irritated my boss back when I worked at the Millworks company grin

I reckon I'ma look for other shops. My only experience with a body shop was when I needed my frame straighten. That shop did a good enough job considering how mangled my frame was. But they painted my mom's car many years ago and that paint got to chipping in a few years.
Ought to call up the fancy dealerships in Atlanta to see who they send Corvettes to.

|

3/6/2018 9:36 AM

I see so many smashed new vehicles. I don't get it. Alot are smashed up pretty good before they even get the plates.

Drinking and driving is costly.

|

3/6/2018 10:04 AM

Some states it’s illegal to reinforce mailboxes. Thing shoulda broke. Some motorcycle rider might get killed by that kind of setup.

|

GP740
Since 1987

3/6/2018 11:34 AM

Asimo, wasn't drinking and driving. I was getting to the party not leaving.
Georgie I wouldn't call it reinforced, you gotta put concrete around the wood or it'll rot. If we do have a law about that, it ain't enforced. Lots of all brick mailboxes. I don't figure they're anymore dangerous than the 8 billion trees, cars, light poles, and so on. Motorcycles are dangerous, kinda what makes em fun.

|

3/9/2018 12:14 PM

Found the newmann of Georgia, $1500 and getting an oem fender. They mostly do European cars (it's behind a german shop) so I'm feeling confident the paint is gonna look good. Plus they got a 5/5 on Google.
Thanks for the advice y'all, I'll post pictures when it's fixed.

|

3/9/2018 12:23 PM

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

Some states it’s illegal to reinforce mailboxes. Thing shoulda broke. Some motorcycle rider might get killed by that kind of setup.

Yes we lost a very cool customer at the shop because he a mailbox when he crashed on his street bike

|

If you like uncle tony's meatballs, you'll love his sausage

Now that's Italian