History / War guys: must see show!

12/10/2012 8:28am
all those guys from all countries had unquestionable courage self sacrifice and bravery and are heros to never be forgotten

sorry for the banter didnt mean to offend, just messing standing up for the brits we're proud too
jndmx
12/10/2012 8:43am Edited Date/Time 12/10/2012 8:44am
So was all those American GI's being killed the "awesome" part Crash was talking about?
Racer92
12/10/2012 8:50am
all those guys from all countries had unquestionable courage self sacrifice and bravery and are heros to never be forgotten sorry for the banter didnt mean...
all those guys from all countries had unquestionable courage self sacrifice and bravery and are heros to never be forgotten

sorry for the banter didnt mean to offend, just messing standing up for the brits we're proud too
I understand bro, check your email.

The Shop

12/10/2012 11:26am
jndmx wrote:
So was all those American GI's being killed the "awesome" part Crash was talking about?
You're either slow or stupid or both.
jndmx
12/10/2012 11:48am
jndmx wrote:
You're either slow or stupid or both.
And yet you take the hook every time.....lol.

jndmx
12/10/2012 12:18pm
Dude i knew it was bait, so in reality you got caught by a fish!
The fish leading the fish?

LaughingLaughing
Hut
12/10/2012 2:09pm
Racer92 wrote:
Difference is, that shit was in your lap and you guys HAD to deal with the bombings. Those American boys [i]volunteered[/i] to go help you guys...
Difference is, that shit was in your lap and you guys HAD to deal with the bombings. Those American boys volunteered to go help you guys. Willingly left their families, wives, kids & homes gladly and they didnt have to. They earned the title 'The Greatest Generation' with courage and sacrifice.

Can you even fathom what kinda man it takes to voluntarily advance on the beaches at Normandy knowing youre gonna get mowed down like hay from concrete German pill-boxes? That is doing it "for the glory"?

https://youtu.be/31nt2fsMORU

Anyone who wants to minimize the USA's contribution to that clusterfuck as glory-seeking can kiss my American ass.
Hear, Hear!
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
12/10/2012 2:53pm Edited Date/Time 12/10/2012 2:54pm
Is this the show here?
http://watchseries.li/serie/wwii_in_hd

Description : WWII in HD is the first-ever "World War II" documentary presented in full, immersive HD color. Culled from thousands of hours of lost and rare color archival footage gathered from a worldwide search through basements and archives, WWII in HD will change the way the world sees this defining conflict. Using footage never before seen by most Americans--converted to HD for unprecedented clarity--viewers will experience the war as if they were actually there, surrounded by the real sights and sounds of the battlefields. Along the way they'll meet a diverse group of soldiers whose wartime diaries and journals show in visceral detail what the war was really like.
No. of episodes : 10 episodes

If so there are mirrors on that site to watch it streaming.
12/10/2012 2:56pm
Racer92 wrote:
Difference is, that shit was in your lap and you guys HAD to deal with the bombings. Those American boys [i]volunteered[/i] to go help you guys...
Difference is, that shit was in your lap and you guys HAD to deal with the bombings. Those American boys volunteered to go help you guys. Willingly left their families, wives, kids & homes gladly and they didnt have to. They earned the title 'The Greatest Generation' with courage and sacrifice.

Can you even fathom what kinda man it takes to voluntarily advance on the beaches at Normandy knowing youre gonna get mowed down like hay from concrete German pill-boxes? That is doing it "for the glory"?

https://youtu.be/31nt2fsMORU

Anyone who wants to minimize the USA's contribution to that clusterfuck as glory-seeking can kiss my American ass.
"you guys HAD to deal with the bombings"

Britain didn't have to go to war with Germany. Our government took the decision and the people were willing to accept the consequences. If after the first load of bombings the population had had enough and demanded a truce, then the government ultimately would've had no choice but to surrender. Thankfully though that was unthinkable. I agree with everything else you said.

Very interesting thread all round, Iv'e enjoyed reading through everyone's stories past on.
Racer92
12/10/2012 4:55pm
[i]"you guys HAD to deal with the bombings"[/i] Britain didn't have to go to war with Germany. Our government took the decision and the people were...

Britain didn't have to go to war with Germany. Our government took the decision and the people were willing to accept the consequences. If after the first load of bombings the population had had enough and demanded a truce, then the government ultimately would've had no choice but to surrender. Thankfully though that was unthinkable. I agree with everything else you said.

Very interesting thread all round, Iv'e enjoyed reading through everyone's stories past on.
It was only a matter of time before Storm Troopers were landing on your beaches and you guys knew it. I applaud you guys decision to be proactive and realize the huge price that was paid.

PaleBlue
12/10/2012 10:56pm
[i]"you guys HAD to deal with the bombings"[/i] Britain didn't have to go to war with Germany. Our government took the decision and the people were...

Racer92 wrote:
It was only a matter of time before Storm Troopers were landing on your beaches and you guys knew it. I applaud you guys decision to...
It was only a matter of time before Storm Troopers were landing on your beaches and you guys knew it. I applaud you guys decision to be proactive and realize the huge price that was paid.

Actually, by the time things had got to the stage that that map shows, the writing was on the wall for Hitler. Overstretched and short of men and material. If the Germans had crossed the Channel before going 'East' then things would have been so different that nobody can say how it would have untimately finished up.
APLMAN99
12/11/2012 6:49am
time to break out the lommel vids again :-)

as usual turn up late and take the glory..it started in 39
APLMAN99 wrote:
I'm not sure "late" would be the proper term.... Maybe "just in time" to turn that little scrimmage completely around.... Oh, and make sure the Lommel...
I'm not sure "late" would be the proper term....

Maybe "just in time" to turn that little scrimmage completely around....

Oh, and make sure the Lommel vids are from 1982....
PaleBlue wrote:
Yep "just in time" is about right. Not so soon that Britain could avoid running up yet another huge debt to the U.S. for war "aid"...
Yep "just in time" is about right. Not so soon that Britain could avoid running up yet another huge debt to the U.S. for war "aid" and not so late that we get defeated and the WW1 and the new WW2 debts are lost forever to you. Not just money either, as part of the conditions for the aid, Britain also had to promise the U.S. to give up it's whole empire a.s.a.p. , effectively taking away our ability to pay back the loans without our own economic destruction.

In terms of help on the field though, I think that honour goes to the Russians.
Hey, looks like we can claim the liberation of 700 million more people from oppression ...!
newmann
12/11/2012 6:58am
While my dad wasn't in the military, his army tug and barge are sitting on the bottom of the Mediterranean thanks to a mine. Those merchant marines took a pretty good beating throughout the war and many years went by before he was recognized as a war vet. 14 out of 28 survived if I remember correctly. Several years back there were some divers searcing the area for another ship when they came across his on the bottom, barge still in tow and a pretty good hole in the side. He always claimed he had a stash of weapons he had collected and they are down there as well. The dive team contacted him and sent him some photos which I need to get scanned one day. I do have an old FB Radom 9mm of his.

Racer92
12/11/2012 7:05am
Very cool! Reminds me of my Tokarev 213 9mm
Barrett57
12/12/2012 5:35am
Racer92 wrote:
It was only a matter of time before Storm Troopers were landing on your beaches and you guys knew it. I applaud you guys decision to...

Hitler considered Britain to be an equal to Germany, we could have avoided the war and be left alone. Which we should have done.
12/12/2012 7:58am Edited Date/Time 12/12/2012 8:02am
Humm idk... I think ultimately we had to deal with it one way or another (in the long run).

Germany was pretty much an unstoppable force up until the Battle of Britain - that was the first time they lost, ever. But if it weren't for the channel they would've most likely rolled right over us just as easily as they had everyone else, which is why we were so desperate for outside assistance - from America especially. As is so often the case, our Military resources were desperately run down to the bare minimum (though no where near as much as they are now).

Going to war is always a political decision for a countries own selfish interests. It's never for the reasons we're given at home. But I think as much as a war can be, this qualified as a truly just cause (though it should be noted that our own mad policies towards Germany after the first world war certainly helped lead to a 2nd).
the_wood109
12/12/2012 9:42am Edited Date/Time 12/12/2012 9:56am
I hate to break it to all of you flag wavers, but the soviets were the ones that won world war 2. In fact they would have won without us getting involved in Europe. Germany just didn't have the resources to take on such a large country with such a huge population. While it probably didn't seem like it at the time, the German defeat was inevitable the moment the set foot on soviet territory.

For example, the counter attack at stalingrade. While the fighting was going on in the city, the soviets assembled millions of troops for that operation, even after they had already lost millions of people that were killed or captured. The sheer weight of numbers was simply way too much for an army like germany to deal with.

Pretty entertaining read at cracked, that i happen to agree with:
http://www.cracked.com/article_18389_the-5-most-widely-believed-wwii-fa…
Barrett57
12/12/2012 9:59am
Britain and France declared war on Germany, not the other way around, they left Switzerland alone, we could have done the same. I don't think we would have had to get involved.

The Nazis were on the war path with Russia from the get go, and ultimatly that is what cost them victory regardless of whether we were involved or not.
APLMAN99
12/12/2012 10:40am
I think it's wrong to look at any of the events in a vacuum. The Soviets benefitted from the western war just as England (and ultimately the US) benefitted from the eastern war.

The Soviets might have been able to defeat Germany if there wasn't a western front, but maybe not also. Or they might or might not have been able to defeat Germany without material aid from the US and Britain, but that's pretty hard to know also. There was quite a bit of aid supplied....

Aircraft 14,795
Tanks 7,056
Jeeps 51,503
Trucks 375,883
Motorcycles 35,170
Tractors 8,071
Guns 8,218
Machine guns 131,633
Explosives 345,735 tons
Building equipment valued $10,910,000
Railroad freight cars 11,155
Locomotives 1,981
Cargo ships 90
Submarine hunters 105
Torpedo boats 197
Ship engines 7,784
Food supplies 4,478,000 tons
Machines and equipment $1,078,965,000
Non-ferrous metals 802,000 tons
Petroleum products 2,670,000 tons
Chemicals 842,000 tons
Cotton 106,893,000 tons
Leather 49,860 tons
Tires 3,786,000
Army boots 15,417,001 pairs
12/12/2012 11:23am
Exactly. The Russians received a huge amount in material aid from the allies - food and munitions etc. No doubt invading Russia was a huge blunder from Hitlers pov (along with misjudging the Russian winter and becoming more and more out of touch with his own forces) but still, to say Russia would've won without help is stretching it imo.
Tracktor
12/12/2012 2:36pm
Read William Shirer's "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" It's an inside look at the history of WWII like no other. It also shows how history can repeat itself...............
vet323
12/12/2012 4:36pm
time to break out the lommel vids again :-)

as usual turn up late and take the glory..it started in 39
APLMAN99 wrote:
I'm not sure "late" would be the proper term.... Maybe "just in time" to turn that little scrimmage completely around.... Oh, and make sure the Lommel...
I'm not sure "late" would be the proper term....

Maybe "just in time" to turn that little scrimmage completely around....

Oh, and make sure the Lommel vids are from 1982....
PaleBlue wrote:
Yep "just in time" is about right. Not so soon that Britain could avoid running up yet another huge debt to the U.S. for war "aid"...
Yep "just in time" is about right. Not so soon that Britain could avoid running up yet another huge debt to the U.S. for war "aid" and not so late that we get defeated and the WW1 and the new WW2 debts are lost forever to you. Not just money either, as part of the conditions for the aid, Britain also had to promise the U.S. to give up it's whole empire a.s.a.p. , effectively taking away our ability to pay back the loans without our own economic destruction.

In terms of help on the field though, I think that honour goes to the Russians.
Obviously, you are correct.

We should have just stayed in the Pacific, on "our" side of the war. Instead we selfishly took advantage of you in your time of need. Those conditions for aid you bring up were agreed to just 3 months before we officially entered the war and after years of unofficial participation. I guess the private school system is as bad over there as our public schools, eh?
Racer92
12/12/2012 5:18pm
vet323 wrote:
Obviously, you are correct. We should have just stayed in the Pacific, on "our" side of the war. Instead we selfishly took advantage of you in...
Obviously, you are correct.

We should have just stayed in the Pacific, on "our" side of the war. Instead we selfishly took advantage of you in your time of need. Those conditions for aid you bring up were agreed to just 3 months before we officially entered the war and after years of unofficial participation. I guess the private school system is as bad over there as our public schools, eh?
Or the dental system? Wink

PaleBlue
12/13/2012 12:59am
Racer92 wrote:
Or the dental system? ;) [img]http://www.ladventurers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Austin-Powers-.jpeg[/img]
Or the dental system? Wink

Whats with the picture of a Canadian comic? (And I've had experience of dental treatment in the U.S. and the U.K. and you guys have some brutal f*ckers let loose on you there!)
Racer92
12/13/2012 3:55am
PaleBlue wrote:
Whats with the picture of a Canadian comic? (And I've had experience of dental treatment in the U.S. and the U.K. and you guys have some...
Whats with the picture of a Canadian comic? (And I've had experience of dental treatment in the U.S. and the U.K. and you guys have some brutal f*ckers let loose on you there!)
Do I really have to explain? And here I thought you were brighter than that.
jndmx
12/13/2012 5:52am Edited Date/Time 12/13/2012 5:53am
Well this has gotten interesting.

Post a reply to: History / War guys: must see show!

The Latest