Historic Aircraft from back in the day

plowboy
11/30/2022 11:26am

I spent the last 10 years or so before retirement working on experimental military aircraft/projects.  A lot of contact with DARPA and other govt funded stuff.  There are some crazy cool things out there.  I enjoyed working with the spec ops folks the most.  They have a discretionary budget that allows them to expedite procurement.

philG
12/1/2022 1:18am

With the re-engine plan for B52 going ahead, there is a chance that plane will be in the air for 100 years.  That is unfathomable to me that a plane designed 50 years after we learned to fly, would last twice that long.  Big chunk of work for us , long term too. 

plowboy
12/1/2022 7:38am
philG wrote:
With the re-engine plan for B52 going ahead, there is a chance that plane will be in the air for 100 years.  That is unfathomable to...

With the re-engine plan for B52 going ahead, there is a chance that plane will be in the air for 100 years.  That is unfathomable to me that a plane designed 50 years after we learned to fly, would last twice that long.  Big chunk of work for us , long term too. 

I did heavy maintenance on the Buff at Tinker Depot.  Cool plane, relatively simple but everything is big and heavy.  A lot of climbing.  Boeing builds stuff to last.

The Shop

TeamGreen
3 hours ago

Armaments: There's rumored to be new AGM158 variants or an all new AGM with Air to Air/Air to Ground/Air to Ship capabilities developed for it. Then there's the long storied plan for the B21 to launch "mini B21s". 

Also, the B21 is supposedly "crew optional"...it is, itself, potentially a "drone"...a very capable...UAV. Also, over the years of LRS-B talk...part of the intended mission has also been Long Range Sensing...in a stealth platform. So, I'm guessing they'll eventually start commenting on those capabilities as China and others stir up shit globally and we continue to decide to "flex or tech". 

For those of you that watched the unveiling, you may have noticed Sec-Def Austin commenting on it having the longest range...of a bomber...EVER...kinda nice. That number is always classified; but, almost always sorta "leaks"...so, we'll see. 

If you take a good look at the wing, you'll notice it's got a rather "organic" silhouette. It's "raked" out towards the tips...a lot like a 787. 

Any bets on First Flight date? 

Reese95w
1 hour ago

/\  I think the first flight by April next year.  What I found interesting was at the very end of the program, when they were tucking the B21 back into the hanger, those vertical strips we see in the forward cockpit windows.

Pit Row

Post a reply to: Historic Aircraft from back in the day

The Latest

The Latest