Historic Aircraft from back in the day

Sully
10/6/2022 5:10pm
Since we're coming up on the 75th anniversary of Yeager breaking the sound barrier, thought this would be fitting...

G-man
10/13/2022 3:10pm Edited Date/Time 10/13/2022 7:13pm
Have a few HERO'S in my Life and Chuck Yeager is one of them....

October 10th 1947; Chuck Yeager was dropped from the B-29 mothership on his seventh powered flight in the X-1. Yeager fired all four chambers of his engine in rapid sequence and quickly accelerated towards that ol' demon that lived beyond the sound barrier. As his rocket plane approached .94 Mach, Yeagers controls suddenly ceased to function. Shock waves running across the plane’s control surfaces acted like concrete and froze the controls.

Yeager kept his cool and deselected the plane’s rockets in an attempt to slow the X-1 down and dump the remaining fuel. After regaining control at lower speeds, Yeager glided his now unpowered rocket plane back in to the dry lakebed to an uneventful landing.

Engineers expected that as the rocket plane reached the sound barrier, its nose would pitch up or down, but at .94 Mach, Chuck had lost any authority over the plane’s elevator. Without it, he could not correct for whatever pitch change might occur at Mach 1. It was Jack Ridley who came up with the solution that by changing the X-1's moving horizontal tail angle of incidence in small increments, he could potentially control his aircraft without having to rely on the elevator. This had never been attempted at extreme speeds, but Yeager was willing to give it a try on the next flight... where Yeager did in fact beat that Ol' demon. October 14th 1947 and earned that steak dinner at Pancho's Happy Bottom Riding Club.

"There was a demon that lived in the air. They said whoever challenged him would die. Their controls would freeze up, their planes would buffet wildly, and they would disintegrate. The demon lived at Mach 1 on the meter, 750 miles an hour, where the air could no longer move out of the way. He lived behind a barrier through which they said no man could ever pass. They called it: The sound barrier. Then, they built a small plane, the X-1, to try and break the sound barrier. And men came to the High Desert in California to ride it. They were called test pilots. And no one knew their names."

www.Sierrahotel.net

G-man
10/14/2022 8:37pm Edited Date/Time 10/14/2022 8:38pm
It's not historic but it shows what it looks like breaking the sound barrier that Yeager did 75 FREAKIN years ago in the X-1 Rocket plane and the FIRST to do it!! Woohoo

Chuck carried his balls in bowling bags....Laughing

An F-18 Super Hornet breaking the sound barrier.

The Shop

Joey_Bridges
10/15/2022 5:01am
G-man wrote:
Never seen this Ugly Duckling before...:laugh: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/10/07/572232/s1200_plane.jpg[/img] https://hackaday.com/2022/10/05/ugliest-airplane-ever-built-predicted-the-future/ Looks like a DEATH TRAP, but it definitely served a purpose. :)
Never seen this Ugly Duckling before...Laughing

https://hackaday.com/2022/10/05/ugliest-airplane-ever-built-predicted-t…

Looks like a DEATH TRAP, but it definitely served a purpose. Smile
Looks like a twin seat GeeBee.

Joey_Bridges
10/15/2022 5:04am
G-man wrote:
It's not historic but it shows what it looks like breaking the sound barrier that Yeager did 75 FREAKIN years ago in the X-1 Rocket plane...
It's not historic but it shows what it looks like breaking the sound barrier that Yeager did 75 FREAKIN years ago in the X-1 Rocket plane and the FIRST to do it!! Woohoo

Chuck carried his balls in bowling bags....Laughing

An F-18 Super Hornet breaking the sound barrier.

LoudLove
10/15/2022 6:55am
Carriers occasionally put on air shows for the ship’s company. Watching a Hornet (or in my case Tomcat) dive down from about 5K feet to level with the ship’s deck in full burner at Mach 1+ never failed to impress.
G-man
10/20/2022 8:08pm
Meanwhile, back on land 25yrs ago today. 763mph. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/10/15/573165/s1200_img_1_1665844936089.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/10/15/573166/s1200_img_2_1665844959266.jpg[/img]
Meanwhile, back on land 25yrs ago today.
763mph.

WoW I have never seen that! 😳
More info please

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
10/20/2022 8:14pm
Meanwhile, back on land 25yrs ago today. 763mph. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/10/15/573165/s1200_img_1_1665844936089.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/10/15/573166/s1200_img_2_1665844959266.jpg[/img]
Meanwhile, back on land 25yrs ago today.
763mph.

G-man wrote:
WoW I have never seen that! 😳
More info please

G-man
10/20/2022 11:11pm Edited Date/Time 10/20/2022 11:12pm
Has anyone seen this photo?
The pilot ejected right as his aircraft dropped off the carrier in Rough Seas and hit the water.
These guys have nerves of steel--much Respect.

I had the story but now can't find it.
LoudLove
10/21/2022 10:33am
G-man wrote:
Has anyone seen this photo? The pilot ejected right as his aircraft dropped off the carrier in Rough Seas and hit the water. These guys have...
The pilot ejected right as his aircraft dropped off the carrier in Rough Seas and hit the water.

We almost had a “cold cat” back in ‘93. Hot, humid day with lots of external stores creating drag. Deck boss sent us to Cat 3, which is the shortest, meaning we needed a swift kick in the ass to launch successfully.

From the millisecond the cat released I knew immediately it wasn’t very strong, and our vertical speed (rate of climb) was zero for a few seconds. The tower comes on the radio “Truder 505, do you need to declare (an emergency)?” I said “No, sir, just a little settle”. He responds with “More than a little…”.

I later learned we had settled so much that the only thing visible was our vertical stabilizer. The deck crew started running to the deck edge, waiting for the splash, and with any luck, a couple of ejection seats.
TeamGreen
10/21/2022 4:37pm
CR-Dude4 wrote:
Here is an experimental turbo prop-jet bird that made so much noise that the ground crew puked, some said bad things occurred when it flew over...
Here is an experimental turbo prop-jet bird that made so much noise that the ground crew puked, some said bad things occurred when it flew over a maternity ward...rumors only, it was retired shortly thereafter.
That plane actually caused some of the crew to “pass out”. There’s a counter-rotating “vertical” take off version of it…or like it…somewhere out there.

“Vertical Take Off”: it literally took off vertically from a stand that launched it like a rocket…it stood on it’s tail.

There’s some really neat stuff from back in the day.
Sully
10/21/2022 8:17pm
G-man wrote:
Has anyone seen this photo? The pilot ejected right as his aircraft dropped off the carrier in Rough Seas and hit the water. These guys have...

LoudLove wrote:
We almost had a “cold cat” back in ‘93. Hot, humid day with lots of external stores creating drag. Deck boss sent us to Cat 3...
We almost had a “cold cat” back in ‘93. Hot, humid day with lots of external stores creating drag. Deck boss sent us to Cat 3, which is the shortest, meaning we needed a swift kick in the ass to launch successfully.

From the millisecond the cat released I knew immediately it wasn’t very strong, and our vertical speed (rate of climb) was zero for a few seconds. The tower comes on the radio “Truder 505, do you need to declare (an emergency)?” I said “No, sir, just a little settle”. He responds with “More than a little…”.

I later learned we had settled so much that the only thing visible was our vertical stabilizer. The deck crew started running to the deck edge, waiting for the splash, and with any luck, a couple of ejection seats.
I took a shot in the COD in ‘97 off Indy that was so strong the 05 Hornet pilot sitting next to me screamed “HOLY SHIT!!!!” We were going to investigate a mishap with a Hornet that crash landed at an Australian Air Force reserve base, so we had that poor COD loaded down with people, tools and crash gear. We had to be at max weight for that old heap. Of the 40 or so catshots I have, that was by far the most brutal.
LoudLove
10/22/2022 9:59am
G-man wrote:

LoudLove wrote:
We almost had a “cold cat” back in ‘93. Hot, humid day with lots of external stores creating drag. Deck boss sent us to Cat 3...

Sully wrote:
I took a shot in the COD in ‘97 off Indy that was so strong the 05 Hornet pilot sitting next to me screamed “HOLY SHIT!!!!”...
I took a shot in the COD in ‘97 off Indy that was so strong the 05 Hornet pilot sitting next to me screamed “HOLY SHIT!!!!” We were going to investigate a mishap with a Hornet that crash landed at an Australian Air Force reserve base, so we had that poor COD loaded down with people, tools and crash gear. We had to be at max weight for that old heap. Of the 40 or so catshots I have, that was by far the most brutal.
We were looking for that “holy shit” moment as well. Hot, humid, heavy + cat 3 should have generated a significant launch. It didn’t, and out of the corner of my eye I could see the pilot churning the controls in an effort to get the wings to bite the air. The vertical speed indicator (VSI) should immediately rise 500 feet per minute, but in this case, it went nowhere.

The flight deck is 60’ over the water, so even a slight loss of climb could spell catastrophe. We probably settled about 30’, which doesn’t leave much room for error.
TeamGreen
10/22/2022 10:04am
S3 was the craziest shot in my day. Damn…that was a serious effort…keeping the blood in your brain! Grinning
G-man
10/22/2022 10:30am Edited Date/Time 10/22/2022 11:34am
G-man wrote:

LoudLove wrote:

Wow!!!!
That's quite a story were you a Navy pilot?
If so my hats off to you for your Bravado and Service to our Country. (Pilot or not)

The picture I posted was a pilot attempting to land and it went very wrong.

The HOOK device tore off the right side landing gear and the plane caught fire.
He barely was able to eject in a newly designed ejection seat that proved to be very functional and probably saved his life as he escaped with scrapes and bruises.
r_outsider
Not The End of the World, but you can see it from here, AB CA
10/22/2022 12:46pm
I love these carrier stories!
Sully
10/22/2022 5:13pm Edited Date/Time 10/22/2022 5:16pm
TeamGreen wrote:
S3 was the craziest shot in my day. Damn…that was a serious effort…keeping the blood in your brain! Grinning
I spent the majority of my flight time in the S3. Unfortunately, I never got to ride up front for a launch/trap, but once we were in the air, the pilot would let me get in the right seat and take the controls for a bit. Such a fun jet to fly.
plowboy
11/25/2022 1:38pm
Spent most of my life around planes, pilots and such. I can tell you for a fact that Navy aviators are the ballsiest jockeys I ever strapped in. Fucking squared away...crazy but badass stick actuators. Exceptional humans really.
philG
11/25/2022 1:52pm
It sucks that i work in aerospace and really dont do planes.

We have an air museum just up the road that has a Vulcan on static display, another one 25 mins away that does taxi runs, and i was lucky to have 11 flypasts of the last one flying as the came over out factory doing loops over a nearby reservoir.

This is the one that does taxi runs, it overshot the runway after a technical issue a few weeks ago.

plowboy
11/25/2022 2:13pm
philG wrote:
It sucks that i work in aerospace and really dont do planes. We have an air museum just up the road that has a Vulcan on...

We have an air museum just up the road that has a Vulcan on static display, another one 25 mins away that does taxi runs, and i was lucky to have 11 flypasts of the last one flying as the came over out factory doing loops over a nearby reservoir.

This is the one that does taxi runs, it overshot the runway after a technical issue a few weeks ago.

Super lucky the gear are still under that Tyradyactl. I saw them all the time at Mildenhall back in the '70's. Was really surprised to see them stationed at Offutt AFB when I got there in 1980. Loud fuckersWink
philG
11/25/2022 2:42pm
philG wrote:
It sucks that i work in aerospace and really dont do planes. We have an air museum just up the road that has a Vulcan on...

plowboy wrote:
Super lucky the gear are still under that Tyradyactl. I saw them all the time at Mildenhall back in the '70's. Was really surprised to see...
Super lucky the gear are still under that Tyradyactl. I saw them all the time at Mildenhall back in the '70's. Was really surprised to see them stationed at Offutt AFB when I got there in 1980. Loud fuckersWink
Yeah, when we got the flypasts, my work buddy was halfway through telling me something when he stopped.... and then said ' Thats the Vulcan' and we ran outside, to see it fly past us pretty low and very close..

Our factory was the other side of the trees, and we ended up stood on top of a stack of pallets , and shipping containers to get a better view.. after about 10 mins , the Ops Manager cam out, as he had heard it too, and joined us , he was a proper guy , and understood that this would likely be the last time any of us saw it fly in person.

Since then i have been in one, and i can honestly say that the guys that fly these things ( and anything like it) are a special breed.

Back in the day , i worked on the Olympus engines, making compressor blades for Concorde, i have been lucky enough to see that at close quarters too.
plowboy
11/25/2022 3:16pm
philG wrote:
Yeah, when we got the flypasts, my work buddy was halfway through telling me something when he stopped.... and then said ' Thats the Vulcan' and...
Yeah, when we got the flypasts, my work buddy was halfway through telling me something when he stopped.... and then said ' Thats the Vulcan' and we ran outside, to see it fly past us pretty low and very close..

Our factory was the other side of the trees, and we ended up stood on top of a stack of pallets , and shipping containers to get a better view.. after about 10 mins , the Ops Manager cam out, as he had heard it too, and joined us , he was a proper guy , and understood that this would likely be the last time any of us saw it fly in person.

Since then i have been in one, and i can honestly say that the guys that fly these things ( and anything like it) are a special breed.

Back in the day , i worked on the Olympus engines, making compressor blades for Concorde, i have been lucky enough to see that at close quarters too.
I retired last year and I would never admit this to my wife but I miss the shit out of the ops pace...the wrenching...the guys. Especially the experimental defense stuff. I'm plenty busy on cars, bikes, house up-keep but it ain't the same. Never miss the water til the well runs dry.
LoudLove
11/25/2022 6:59pm
plowboy wrote:
Spent most of my life around planes, pilots and such. I can tell you for a fact that Navy aviators are the ballsiest jockeys I ever...
Spent most of my life around planes, pilots and such. I can tell you for a fact that Navy aviators are the ballsiest jockeys I ever strapped in. Fucking squared away...crazy but badass stick actuators. Exceptional humans really.
I was an A-6E B/N and can verify that claim, and simultaneously deny it! Any person who can routinely land on a carrier has somewhat uncommon qualities, yet you could not pick them out of a crowd. Above-average intelligence is a must, as is an ability to replicate procedures with precision. Very few, if any, aviators resemble “Top Gun” characters, as the community simply wouldn’t put up with that level of bullshit. We’re just normal folks with abnormal jobs.
philG
11/26/2022 2:28am
LoudLove wrote:
I was an A-6E B/N and can verify that claim, and simultaneously deny it! Any person who can routinely land on a carrier has somewhat uncommon...
I was an A-6E B/N and can verify that claim, and simultaneously deny it! Any person who can routinely land on a carrier has somewhat uncommon qualities, yet you could not pick them out of a crowd. Above-average intelligence is a must, as is an ability to replicate procedures with precision. Very few, if any, aviators resemble “Top Gun” characters, as the community simply wouldn’t put up with that level of bullshit. We’re just normal folks with abnormal jobs.
The world relies on these people every day , and doesnt understand how it happens.

I knew a pilot who flew bit long haul stuff, and we chatted about the pressure of his job.

He said 'well the reality is that i rely on guys like you , to make the decisions about stuff that means i dont even have to think about the plane, i just need to think about me, as long as i can get from London to NY and not fuck up, everyone behind me will be fine'.

A lot of plane related stuff happens cos someone has a bad day on the ground, not in the air. Luckily we have checks and balances that catch that sort of shit.
plowboy
11/30/2022 11:26am

I spent the last 10 years or so before retirement working on experimental military aircraft/projects.  A lot of contact with DARPA and other govt funded stuff.  There are some crazy cool things out there.  I enjoyed working with the spec ops folks the most.  They have a discretionary budget that allows them to expedite procurement.

philG
12/1/2022 1:18am

With the re-engine plan for B52 going ahead, there is a chance that plane will be in the air for 100 years.  That is unfathomable to me that a plane designed 50 years after we learned to fly, would last twice that long.  Big chunk of work for us , long term too. 

plowboy
12/1/2022 7:38am
philG wrote:
With the re-engine plan for B52 going ahead, there is a chance that plane will be in the air for 100 years.  That is unfathomable to...

With the re-engine plan for B52 going ahead, there is a chance that plane will be in the air for 100 years.  That is unfathomable to me that a plane designed 50 years after we learned to fly, would last twice that long.  Big chunk of work for us , long term too. 

I did heavy maintenance on the Buff at Tinker Depot.  Cool plane, relatively simple but everything is big and heavy.  A lot of climbing.  Boeing builds stuff to last.

Post a reply to: Historic Aircraft from back in the day

The Latest