Hey you old farts,,,

JAFO92
Edited Date/Time 5/13/2022 9:26am
,,,, did you ever buy the Sea Monkeys? Xray specs? Cool

|
Sully
5/5/2022 7:20pm Edited Date/Time 5/5/2022 7:21pm
When I was on USS Kitty Hawk in the late 90s, we had Sea Monkeys as our divisional "pets." that's probably the last time I saw them, though.
jeffro503
5/5/2022 7:24pm
I never did buy any of them , but they were kinda freaky. All those old ads bring back a lot of memories. I collected comics all the way into my teens , and still have around 600 - 800 comics in plastic bags. Some are worth quite a bit. I still have a certain comic my mom bought me at a comic store when I was 6 years old. I actually still have quite a few I bought before I was even 10 years old. Never could get myself to sell many. I did sell a few when I was 16 , and bought my first beater pickup !!
early
Fantasy
2231st
5/5/2022 7:36pm
Boys Life was the only interesting magazine to look at when you went to the library. Back of the magazine was full of this stuff, it always looked cool but even as a 10 year old you could tell it was crap and wouldn't work. There's an archive going back 100 years, interesting to look through from a historical perspective.
https://scoutlife.org/wayback/
SCR
5/5/2022 7:47pm
I bought the miniature secret camera. Total gyp. I should of got the spud gun.

The Shop

Chance1216
5/5/2022 7:51pm
I had Sea Monkeys as a kid years ago. Turned out they were brine shrimp. Now, I raise them to feed to my fish. 😄

BMSOBx2
5/5/2022 9:30pm
early wrote:
Boys Life was the only interesting magazine to look at when you went to the library. Back of the magazine was full of this stuff, it...
Boys Life was the only interesting magazine to look at when you went to the library. Back of the magazine was full of this stuff, it always looked cool but even as a 10 year old you could tell it was crap and wouldn't work. There's an archive going back 100 years, interesting to look through from a historical perspective.
https://scoutlife.org/wayback/
I had a subscription to Boy's Life for a couple of years when I was 10-12 years old.
G-man
5/6/2022 12:56am
Oh yes the X-ray specs were on my radar as a young lad but I figured mom might not like them if I got them through the mail so I never pulled the trigger...... Laughing

TeamGreen
5/6/2022 6:31am
Great thread.
It was a good time to be a kid.

Did anyone-else get up on Saturday...
Down some Cheerios..
Get on your bicycle...
Go to the hills and ride or go on any sort of adventure..
And not come back 'til dark?
indy_maico
5/6/2022 6:41am
TeamGreen wrote:
Great thread. It was a good time to be a kid. Did anyone-else get up on Saturday... Down some Cheerios.. Get on your bicycle... Go to...
Great thread.

Down some Cheerios..
Get on your bicycle...
I grew up a couple miles from Sharon Speedway, which was a dirt half-mile dirt track in NE Ohio. (The NASCAR Blaneys own it now and I think it is paved)
My buddies and I used to ride out there on a Saturday morning and slide our bicycles under the fence and ride around the track until someone came and threw us out.

Not far from there was a place I later worked at called C&J Cycle. They sold Yamaha, Kawasaki, Norton, CZ and Montesa. We'd hang out there the rest of the day.
TeamGreen
5/6/2022 6:50am
TeamGreen wrote:
Great thread. It was a good time to be a kid. Did anyone-else get up on Saturday... Down some Cheerios.. Get on your bicycle... Go to...
Great thread.

Down some Cheerios..
Get on your bicycle...
indy_maico wrote:
I grew up a couple miles from Sharon Speedway, which was a dirt half-mile dirt track in NE Ohio. (The NASCAR Blaneys own it now and...
I grew up a couple miles from Sharon Speedway, which was a dirt half-mile dirt track in NE Ohio. (The NASCAR Blaneys own it now and I think it is paved)
My buddies and I used to ride out there on a Saturday morning and slide our bicycles under the fence and ride around the track until someone came and threw us out.

Not far from there was a place I later worked at called C&J Cycle. They sold Yamaha, Kawasaki, Norton, CZ and Montesa. We'd hang out there the rest of the day.
Indepence
Freedom
Youth
indy_maico
5/6/2022 7:03am
Oh, and yes, I did get the sea monkeys and xray specs.

Very disappointing!
Big Lenny
5/6/2022 7:46am
JAFO92 wrote:
,,,, did you ever buy the Sea Monkeys? Xray specs? B) [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/05/05/548297/s1200_91vwkTLiRML._AC_SL1500.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/05/05/548298/s1200_xray_goggles_ad.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/05/05/548299/s1200_100_pc_toy_soldiers_photo_u1.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/05/05/548300/s1200_polarisbig.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/05/05/548301/s1200_a30a6834e8d9d07aa443b23eb87a4f01.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/05/05/548302/s1200_manoutofmac.jpg[/img]
,,,, did you ever buy the Sea Monkeys? Xray specs? Cool

I remember all of those...Cool
borg
5/6/2022 7:57am
I don't remember the sea-monkeys but I do remember sending a lot of box tops to Battle Creek MI.
indy_maico
5/6/2022 8:09am
TeamGreen wrote:
Indepence
Freedom
Youth
We didn't know how good we had it, did we Manny?
In too big a hurry to grow up!
TeamGreen
5/6/2022 8:14am
TeamGreen wrote:
Indepence
Freedom
Youth
indy_maico wrote:
We didn't know how good we had it, did we Manny?
In too big a hurry to grow up!
True

But, we did have it good and we're still enjoying the fruits of those years! We BOTH work in a fun field.
JAFO92
5/6/2022 8:29am
Chance1216 wrote:
I had Sea Monkeys as a kid years ago. Turned out they were brine shrimp. Now, I raise them to feed to my fish. 😄

I bought 'em too. They did indeed hatch and swim, I was let down they didnt look like monkeys.
JAFO92
5/6/2022 8:31am
BMSOBx2 wrote:
I had a subscription to Boy's Life for a couple of years when I was 10-12 years old.
Got Boys Life too, loved it as a kid. Can you believe I was only 2 badges and a project away from Eagle and we moved and I never finished. (had already did Order of the Arrow as well)
JAFO92
5/6/2022 8:32am
G-man wrote:
Oh yes the X-ray specs were on my radar as a young lad but I figured mom might not like them if I got them through...
Oh yes the X-ray specs were on my radar as a young lad but I figured mom might not like them if I got them through the mail so I never pulled the trigger...... Laughing

Same here, figured Id get busted by Mom. I did eventually come across a pair at a novelty store in about '77. What a let down that was. haha
JAFO92
5/6/2022 8:35am
TeamGreen wrote:
Great thread.

Down some Cheerios..
Get on your bicycle...
Exactly that. Every day, all summer long. Seriously. Out the door at first light, climb on the Sears Spyder and no one had a clue where I was until dark-thirty. Literally grew up on the sea wall, jetties and T-heads on that bike in Corpus.
JAFO92
5/6/2022 8:41am
borg wrote:
I don't remember the sea-monkeys but I do remember sending a lot of box tops to Battle Creek MI.
Aint it the truth? 20 box tops to get some cheesy toy the size of a silver dollar. Woohoo

Tell what was a cool treat, them 45 records on the back of the cereal box. You had to cut the box with scissors and you could play it. I can remember getting a HR Puff-n-Stuff record that we thought was the funniest song ever. Never forget the song, 'Oranges, Smoranges'

TeamGreen
5/6/2022 8:41am Edited Date/Time 5/6/2022 12:19pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Great thread.

Down some Cheerios..
Get on your bicycle...
JAFO92 wrote:
Exactly that. Every day, all summer long. Seriously. Out the door at first light, climb on the Sears Spyder and no one had a clue where...
Exactly that. Every day, all summer long. Seriously. Out the door at first light, climb on the Sears Spyder and no one had a clue where I was until dark-thirty. Literally grew up on the sea wall, jetties and T-heads on that bike in Corpus.
That kind of Childhood Freedom needs to return. The kids deserve it...they need the freedom of "being a kid"...
alphado
5/6/2022 8:50am
Grit magazine adds
Stamp collection
Muttly
5/6/2022 8:57am
Sea Horses were my favorite!
NvHermit
Fantasy
4326th
5/6/2022 9:11am
TeamGreen wrote:
Great thread.

Down some Cheerios..
Get on your bicycle...
JAFO92 wrote:
Exactly that. Every day, all summer long. Seriously. Out the door at first light, climb on the Sears Spyder and no one had a clue where...
TeamGreen wrote:
That kind of Childhood Freedom needs to return. The kids deserve it...they need the freedom of "being a kid"...
My sea horses were nothing but a sponge. I put the pill in water and it swelled to a sea horse shaped sponge, rip off.

I still get up at before daylight and go on adventures just like I did in the 60's-70's with zero loss of freedom. As a matter of fact I'm more free now than I've ever been, I can smoke and grow pot without being a felon.

G-man
5/6/2022 9:30am
G-man wrote:
Oh yes the X-ray specs were on my radar as a young lad but I figured mom might not like them if I got them through...

JAFO92 wrote:
Same here, figured Id get busted by Mom. I did eventually come across a pair at a novelty store in about '77. What a let down...
Same here, figured Id get busted by Mom. I did eventually come across a pair at a novelty store in about '77. What a let down that was. haha
LaughingGrinning
Nighttrain
5/6/2022 10:08am Edited Date/Time 5/6/2022 10:10am
Oh yeah, I remember all of those adds. I think I had the Star Trek USS Enterprise. Y’all should checkout @Super70sSports on Twitter. Lots of similar material. Very funny commentary.
Joey_Bridges
5/6/2022 10:44am Edited Date/Time 5/6/2022 10:45am
TeamGreen wrote:
Great thread.

Down some Cheerios..
Get on your bicycle...
Absolutely.
Schwinn stingrays all being ridden around like we were Steve McQueen, Malcolm Smith, etc....
And nobody wore helmets.

Neighborhood hide and seek games with, "that house way down there, to, that house way up there" as the boundaries.

Skateboarding downhill in the streets on those old clay wheels.

Walking to school, not this minivan armada these kids ride in today.

Nobody had fences in our neighborhood.
Everyone's parents knew each other, and their kids.
And they could all yell at us for causing trouble.

And when one mom yelled for their kid at dinnertime, we all knew it was time to go home.

And then we got old enough for dirt bikes !!!!
whyZ
5/6/2022 11:09am
TeamGreen wrote:
Great thread.

Down some Cheerios..
Get on your bicycle...
Oh ya, If my ole' man caught you sitting around watching the boob-tube, you'd better be sick or he'd be picking from his catalog of chores needing to be done. So Saturday mornings was a combination of camouflage and stealth moves to get to your bike.

I lived close to a canal, dirt bank sides, and drained a couple times a year for debris removal. The big thing was to convert your 20" Schwinn BMX into what was called a big wheel. Meaning you took the threaded fork rod and front wheel of a ten speed and put it on the 20" BMX. And for reasons only understood by an 8 year old, this was the set-up. As the day wore on, so did the speed guys were sending it off the side. Only a matter of time before the collective echoes of ewwwss was ringing out after the thud of someone pile-driving it into the bottom. Damn those were good time.
Nighttrain
5/6/2022 11:14am
Absolutely. Schwinn stingrays all being ridden around like we were Steve McQueen, Malcolm Smith, etc.... And nobody wore helmets. Neighborhood hide and seek games with, "that...
Absolutely.
Schwinn stingrays all being ridden around like we were Steve McQueen, Malcolm Smith, etc....
And nobody wore helmets.

Neighborhood hide and seek games with, "that house way down there, to, that house way up there" as the boundaries.

Skateboarding downhill in the streets on those old clay wheels.

Walking to school, not this minivan armada these kids ride in today.

Nobody had fences in our neighborhood.
Everyone's parents knew each other, and their kids.
And they could all yell at us for causing trouble.

And when one mom yelled for their kid at dinnertime, we all knew it was time to go home.

And then we got old enough for dirt bikes !!!!
Close to my experience. I might be a little younger, though, because I had a Tony Alva skateboard with Kryptonics wheels. My Mother held on to the old ways, though, and always pulled out this bottle with the glass stick of burning hell to treat small scrapes.

Post a reply to: Hey you old farts,,,

The Latest