Help me understand this>>>>

G-man
2/6/2021 11:06pm Edited Date/Time 2/8/2021 2:49pm
Sport.

So after the Supercross ended this came on and for some odd reason I started watching it.
I must admit I know absolutely nothing about rugby it made no sense to me whatsoever other than these guys are completely insane the way they pound each other with no gear.

They toss the ball from out of bounds and one of the teammates hoist the other to grab the ball, then there is a scrum and outta the blue they will kick the ball nearly in the face of a player. Woohoo

And what is with the scrum?
The lock themselves all up and then a player from the outside has the ball and drops it then grabs it and runs and kicks it!
Haha
I must really be missing something in this game that I don't understand. I do know that there will be no way if I had a kid I would want him to play this sport. How many players get concussions, torn knees, broken limbs? Oh wait that sounds like Motocross! Smile

I did see a few guys that looked like they had wool beanies? WTF is up with that? Laughing

|
Deja New
2/7/2021 12:26am
Growing up in Australia I raced flat track and Mx raced bmx and skated but was not allowed to play rugby my parents said it was to dangerous Blink
KMC440
2/7/2021 12:31am
Rugby was the precursor to our football. Fact is in the early days of our football people thought it was too dangerous and wanted it banned for the more civilized rugby.
Deja New
2/7/2021 1:28am
Beanies to protect their ears in a scrum so they don’t get cauliflower ears....

2/7/2021 4:09am Edited Date/Time 2/7/2021 4:13am
It's played at school over here, was a great way of hurting people you don't like without getting into trouble.

Also pretty big at the grassroots level, my local village rugby club is a pretty big part of the community. Most of my friends who play rugby also have been motocrossers. They have been hurt way worse through rugby than moto.

The Shop

Nighttrain
2/7/2021 5:19am
“Football (soccer) is a gentleman’s game played by hooligans, and Rugby is a hooligans’ game played by gentlemen”. I’m growing to love rugby and soccer especially the 6 Nations and Premier Leagues which are shown regularly here on NBCSN. A huge reason is because there are no commercials during play.
shuggs
2/7/2021 11:09am
Can remember when I went to high school, had only played it a couple of times before, at the 1st practice after doing the drills the coach said to me 'what can yhou do' I said 'I can run well' so they stuck me out on the wing for a chance. Anyway the ball finds its way out to me and I then took off like a scalded cat to everyones amazement. Little did they know that back then I used to go to local running club after school as well as working delivering milk in the morning (and back in the '70's this was hard work) so I could sprint as well as run long distances.

After that day I was always out on the wing, pity I found out about alcohol, cannabis & Magics not long after but hey those were the days.
G-man
2/7/2021 11:35am
Ok Well what I was looking for was understanding of the object of the game and
how you score points.

I thought I saw some field goal post as well but I do not understand the game at all. I am sure I could Google it but I was hoping some of you experts could give me some cliff notes. Cool

I don't have time today, getting ready to Smoke a Turkey and running behind schedule. Unsure

It makes as much sense to me as the Olympic Sport known as Curling. Laughing
G-man
2/7/2021 11:36am
Deja New wrote:
Beanies to protect their ears in a scrum so they don’t get cauliflower ears.... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/02/07/477399/s1200_30E47DE0_1076_4A56_AEEE_804E7A338B75.jpg[/img]
Beanies to protect their ears in a scrum so they don’t get cauliflower ears....

Why do only a couple guys wear them?

What a crazy sport! Laughing
shuggs
2/7/2021 12:47pm
G-man wrote:
Ok Well what I was looking for was understanding of the object of the game and how you score points. I thought I saw some field...
Ok Well what I was looking for was understanding of the object of the game and
how you score points.

I thought I saw some field goal post as well but I do not understand the game at all. I am sure I could Google it but I was hoping some of you experts could give me some cliff notes. Cool

I don't have time today, getting ready to Smoke a Turkey and running behind schedule. Unsure

It makes as much sense to me as the Olympic Sport known as Curling. Laughing
In RUGBY UINION each team is divided into forwards & backs.
Forwards
The main responsibilities of the forward players are to gain and retain possession of the ball. Forwards play a vital role in tackling and rucking opposing players. Players in these positions are generally bigger and stronger and take part in the scrum and line-out. The forwards are often collectively referred to as the 'pack', especially when in the scrum formation.
Backs
The role of the backs is to create and convert point-scoring opportunities. They are generally smaller, faster and more agile than the forwards. Another distinction between the backs and the forwards is that the backs are expected to have superior kicking and ball-handling skills, especially the fly-half, scrum-half, and full-back.

There are different ways to score:
Penalty, if it is within range one of the backs takes a kick at opponets posts (think of a field goal in NFL). There is no opposition so it relys on skill of kicker. Worth 3 points.
Drop kick, rare but during play a kick is attempted at opponents posts. Harder as it is very opportunistic, Worth 3 points.
Try, scored when ball is touched down over opposition line. Ideally ball is touched down as near to goal posts as possible to make conversion easier. Worth 5 points.
Conversion, awarded after a Try, very similar to field goal, kick is taken at oppoents goal, again unopposed but is taken on the same line that try was scored. Worth 2 points.

The field is divided into 2 halves with other dividing lines, 5 metre & 22 metre lines.

The object of the game is to move the ball and touch it down over oppsosition touch line. When passing the ball it CANNOT be passed forward. At anytime of breaking rules the referee will award one of the follwoing. Usually involves a period containing rucks, mauls, scrums & lineouts (when the ball goes sideways out of play).

A games last 40 mins each half but wil only be ended when ball is 'dead' - yesterday Scotland player kick it out, today Wales Ireland went over 84 mins. In a normal match the ref is given respect and at times, its great to listen to a good one (Welsh ref recently retired Nigel Owens was brilliant).

That about covers the basics.
G-man
2/7/2021 2:23pm
shuggs wrote:
In RUGBY UINION each team is divided into forwards & backs. Forwards The main responsibilities of the forward players are to gain and retain possession of...
In RUGBY UINION each team is divided into forwards & backs.
Forwards
The main responsibilities of the forward players are to gain and retain possession of the ball. Forwards play a vital role in tackling and rucking opposing players. Players in these positions are generally bigger and stronger and take part in the scrum and line-out. The forwards are often collectively referred to as the 'pack', especially when in the scrum formation.
Backs
The role of the backs is to create and convert point-scoring opportunities. They are generally smaller, faster and more agile than the forwards. Another distinction between the backs and the forwards is that the backs are expected to have superior kicking and ball-handling skills, especially the fly-half, scrum-half, and full-back.

There are different ways to score:
Penalty, if it is within range one of the backs takes a kick at opponets posts (think of a field goal in NFL). There is no opposition so it relys on skill of kicker. Worth 3 points.
Drop kick, rare but during play a kick is attempted at opponents posts. Harder as it is very opportunistic, Worth 3 points.
Try, scored when ball is touched down over opposition line. Ideally ball is touched down as near to goal posts as possible to make conversion easier. Worth 5 points.
Conversion, awarded after a Try, very similar to field goal, kick is taken at oppoents goal, again unopposed but is taken on the same line that try was scored. Worth 2 points.

The field is divided into 2 halves with other dividing lines, 5 metre & 22 metre lines.

The object of the game is to move the ball and touch it down over oppsosition touch line. When passing the ball it CANNOT be passed forward. At anytime of breaking rules the referee will award one of the follwoing. Usually involves a period containing rucks, mauls, scrums & lineouts (when the ball goes sideways out of play).

A games last 40 mins each half but wil only be ended when ball is 'dead' - yesterday Scotland player kick it out, today Wales Ireland went over 84 mins. In a normal match the ref is given respect and at times, its great to listen to a good one (Welsh ref recently retired Nigel Owens was brilliant).

That about covers the basics.
Wow, Thanks for the detailed reply I am busy right now and I'm gonna have to read that a few times as it's rather confusing for me anyway right now....🍻🍺

and I'll have more questions later.
Rooster
2/8/2021 2:12pm
Nighttrain wrote:
“Football (soccer) is a gentleman’s game played by hooligans, and Rugby is a hooligans’ game played by gentlemen”. I’m growing to love rugby and soccer especially...
“Football (soccer) is a gentleman’s game played by hooligans, and Rugby is a hooligans’ game played by gentlemen”. I’m growing to love rugby and soccer especially the 6 Nations and Premier Leagues which are shown regularly here on NBCSN. A huge reason is because there are no commercials during play.
I love the descriptions. Now do Aussie Rules Football.
Nighttrain
2/8/2021 2:49pm
Rooster wrote:
I love the descriptions. Now do Aussie Rules Football.
I know that you should never tell an Aussie that you’re rooting for his team or ask an English woman what she has in her fanny pack. I learned both the hard way.

Post a reply to: Help me understand this>>>>

The Latest