Help Planning a trip to Alaska

FlickitFlat
Fantasy
595th
3/20/2018 6:31pm
My sister and I thought about getting an Alaskan Cruise for my Mom and Dad's 50th Anniversary. But we got to thinking, they might not like a cruise and being on someone else's time schedule so we thought about getting them a ticket to Anchorage or somewhere, renting a car and booking a resort or a B&B or hotels or something like that. They both always wanted to go to Alaska so it would be nice if the could do it at their own pace. We are from WV so we are outdoors and wilderness people. Dad is interested in Dog's, Dog sleds and of course gold, panning. Basically anything outdoorsy. Maybe if a fishing charter if it was only for a day or so. They both like to fish to some degree.
Anybody have any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, experience in Alaska? Anything they might be able to suggest? Their Anniversary is April but they can go at anytime, preferably before the end of July or August.
|
TXDirt
3/20/2018 7:30pm
Have they ever been on a Cruise?

Having been on multiple cruises the Alaskan Cruise is one of the best.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
595th
3/20/2018 7:49pm
No, they have not been on a cruise. I've checked on the cruises but honestly, I think they would like the train ride more than a cruise. When checking on a cruise, I get so much conflicting information. The travel agent that I use often, like 5 times a year for international travels invited me to come in an look at some of his packages and said he was an expert on Alaska trips. I honestly wasn't that impressed. First we don't really want to spend $9,000 a person. Second, he just gave me a bunch of choices that all looked the same. They all seemed nice, but I just didn't get that vibe if you know what I mean. Our last resort is to send them on an Eastern Caribbean cruise. I'm sure they would enjoy that but it is our last option if we can't find something appealing in Alaska. Think, Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino with a smile and that is my Dad. LOL I think they would like driving the Alaskan highway by the coast but I honestly don't even know where that is at.
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
3/21/2018 1:00am
My sister and I thought about getting an Alaskan Cruise for my Mom and Dad's 50th Anniversary. But we got to thinking, they might not like...
My sister and I thought about getting an Alaskan Cruise for my Mom and Dad's 50th Anniversary. But we got to thinking, they might not like a cruise and being on someone else's time schedule so we thought about getting them a ticket to Anchorage or somewhere, renting a car and booking a resort or a B&B or hotels or something like that. They both always wanted to go to Alaska so it would be nice if the could do it at their own pace. We are from WV so we are outdoors and wilderness people. Dad is interested in Dog's, Dog sleds and of course gold, panning. Basically anything outdoorsy. Maybe if a fishing charter if it was only for a day or so. They both like to fish to some degree.
Anybody have any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, experience in Alaska? Anything they might be able to suggest? Their Anniversary is April but they can go at anytime, preferably before the end of July or August.
my parents did a Alaskan Cruise last year and loved it, even my mother getting sick and life flighted to Seattle on the second last day did not take the fun out of it,

they just hosted a couple from San Francisco down here for a month that they met on the cruise as well,

hope to get up their myself one day,
MR. X
3/21/2018 2:51am
Kodiak ?

The Shop

TXDirt
3/21/2018 6:50am Edited Date/Time 3/21/2018 7:20am
No, they have not been on a cruise. I've checked on the cruises but honestly, I think they would like the train ride more than a...
No, they have not been on a cruise. I've checked on the cruises but honestly, I think they would like the train ride more than a cruise. When checking on a cruise, I get so much conflicting information. The travel agent that I use often, like 5 times a year for international travels invited me to come in an look at some of his packages and said he was an expert on Alaska trips. I honestly wasn't that impressed. First we don't really want to spend $9,000 a person. Second, he just gave me a bunch of choices that all looked the same. They all seemed nice, but I just didn't get that vibe if you know what I mean. Our last resort is to send them on an Eastern Caribbean cruise. I'm sure they would enjoy that but it is our last option if we can't find something appealing in Alaska. Think, Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino with a smile and that is my Dad. LOL I think they would like driving the Alaskan highway by the coast but I honestly don't even know where that is at.
I would not use a Travel agent. Added fees for no reason. The cruise lines can help you with whatever you need or you can do it yourself which is super easy when it comes to cruises. Here is a real nice Cruise package that includes touring inland by train.

12-Day Denali by Rail Explorer - Northbound Cruisetour

$2,100 per person.

You would need to figure out how to get to Vancover as that is where the cruise leaves from. And then it ends in Fairbanks so you need to pay to fly home. But even lets assume the flights are 2k per person that still gets you to aorund 4-5k per person all-in. So a far cry from 9k.

Check out The Haven Staterooms on that ship. Pretty incredible and honestly pretty reasonable priced depending on the date of your cruise.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
595th
3/21/2018 9:41am
Thanks TXD, I will definitely look into this more.

Post a reply to: Help Planning a trip to Alaska

The Latest