Has the world ended from the oil spill yet?

huck
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 11:40pm
Just wondering if I should still plan for all of man kind to be obliterated from this?
|
SteveS
7/29/2010 2:54pm
You jest, but the news stories say that now they can't find any oil to skim.

Of course, the stories all take the astronomically high flow rate that somebody guessed based on watching the submersible's video feed and multiply it out over the number of days to come up with an astronomical amount of oil, then subtract the large amount that was recovered by skimming, leaving a still larger number that should be still out there. But it's not.

Of course they don't even consider that the WAG that was used to come up with the flow rate was way, way off on the high side to make it sound bad.
huck
7/29/2010 2:55pm
Oh no, make no mistake...it will "effect generations, and kill off wildlife as we know"....
dougie
7/29/2010 2:59pm
as we know what?

The Shop

huck
7/29/2010 3:03pm
dougie wrote:
as we know what?

it...
Frogman
7/29/2010 3:56pm
I think I have seen news blurbs about at least 3 new oil spills in the last week....apparently we can't get enough of oil spills.
jmar
7/29/2010 5:54pm Edited Date/Time 7/29/2010 5:55pm
jmar wrote:
The head of the EPA should be fired. Adding one harmful chemical to another. Brilliant!

Heads should roll.
I agree,

But the dispersant makes it look as if the oil has disappeared.

How long before the fisherman, crabbers and shrimper's can work again?

We don't even know the effect of this shit they are pouring into the gulf.

For those of you that think this is bullshit.

Put a little toluene into a glass of water and drink it. No problems, it's not going to be the end of the world.
WhKnuckle
7/29/2010 7:15pm
I think the point of dispersants is to break the oil into small droplets that are surrounded by water and the larger contact area makes the oil emulsify and break down faster. I'm no chemist, but that's what I hear from some environmental engineers down the hall from me. Of course, one of them also told me, if you have a glass that's half full of water and half full of oil, what you have is a whole glass of shit.
Frogman
7/29/2010 7:27pm
Considering the tons of trash and chemicals we (humans) dump in the water on a daily basis...I am guessing the oil is the least of our problems.
jmar
7/29/2010 7:28pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
I think the point of dispersants is to break the oil into small droplets that are surrounded by water and the larger contact area makes the...
I think the point of dispersants is to break the oil into small droplets that are surrounded by water and the larger contact area makes the oil emulsify and break down faster. I'm no chemist, but that's what I hear from some environmental engineers down the hall from me. Of course, one of them also told me, if you have a glass that's half full of water and half full of oil, what you have is a whole glass of shit.
Of course, one of them also told me, if you have a glass that's half full of water and half full of oil, what you have is a whole glass of shit.

And when add a chemical dispersant that we don't fully understand the effects of, you could have a full glass of toxic shit.

jmar
7/29/2010 7:28pm
Frogman wrote:
Considering the tons of trash and chemicals we (humans) dump in the water on a daily basis...I am guessing the oil is the least of our...
Considering the tons of trash and chemicals we (humans) dump in the water on a daily basis...I am guessing the oil is the least of our problems.
I can't say that I totally disagree with that.

We are really fucking up our oceans.
88sdad
7/29/2010 7:55pm
In the 70's, when I was in the Navy, we threw all our trash/waste in the ocean.
WhKnuckle
7/29/2010 8:09pm
Frogman wrote:
Considering the tons of trash and chemicals we (humans) dump in the water on a daily basis...I am guessing the oil is the least of our...
jmar wrote:
I can't say that I totally disagree with that.

We are really fucking up our oceans.
One thing to consider is there have been about 27,000 wells drilled in the Gulf of Mexico - lots of them were dry and most of the rest are pure gas wells with small amounts of condensate. But let's say 5,000 or so are primarily oil producers - if each one of those wells leaks 1/2 a barrel a day (if you've ever been around oil wells, you know that's conservative), that comes to almost one million barrels a year going into the Gulf, or about 1/3 to 1/4 of the amount of this blowout - and nobody knows a thing about it. So in ten years, you have 3X as much as this blowout.

When they first shut the valves on this well and were worried about it blowing out underground, they were using cameras on the ROVs looking for leaks, and they found one a couple of miles away - and they later said, "Oh, it's OK, that's coming from an abandoned well near the leak". How many of those are out there? Plenty. When I was a kid, we swam at Galveston and went surfing at Freeport, and you couldn't get me in that water today at all. It's filthy.
Void Main
7/29/2010 8:14pm
dougie wrote:
as we know what?

huck wrote:
it...
I really hate to admit this but I actually laughed out loud on that one.
Void Main
7/29/2010 8:17pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
I think the point of dispersants is to break the oil into small droplets that are surrounded by water and the larger contact area makes the...
jmar wrote:
[i]Of course, one of them also told me, if you have a glass that's half full of water and half full of oil, what you have...
Of course, one of them also told me, if you have a glass that's half full of water and half full of oil, what you have is a whole glass of shit.

And when add a chemical dispersant that we don't fully understand the effects of, you could have a full glass of toxic shit.

Or maybe you would have a full glass of Captain Morgan.
jmar
7/29/2010 8:17pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
jmar wrote:
[i]Of course, one of them also told me, if you have a glass that's half full of water and half full of oil, what you have...

Void Main wrote:
Or maybe you would have a full glass of Captain Morgan.
I guess that's possible.
huck
7/30/2010 5:58am
dougie wrote:
as we know what?

huck wrote:
it...
Void Main wrote:
I really hate to admit this but I actually laughed out loud on that one.
you're welcome...
7/30/2010 6:54am Edited Date/Time 7/30/2010 11:13am
I am not terribly interested in eating any gulf coast shrimp at the moment. Suddenly the crap coming from China looks more appetizing than ever.

it is probably full of lead and mercury though!
yzthumpa
7/30/2010 10:52am
After I took my flatboat out for a little southern La. bayou cruising and alligator watching this morning, I ran over to the local seafood joint and chowed down on a fried shrimp po-boy. No, I'm not going to get sick and die from it (or at least haven't so far in the first 15 minutes), but make no mistake that life as we know it and as it has been passed down for generations down here is now a thing of the past.
WhKnuckle
7/30/2010 11:15am
yzthumpa wrote:
After I took my flatboat out for a little southern La. bayou cruising and alligator watching this morning, I ran over to the local seafood joint...
After I took my flatboat out for a little southern La. bayou cruising and alligator watching this morning, I ran over to the local seafood joint and chowed down on a fried shrimp po-boy. No, I'm not going to get sick and die from it (or at least haven't so far in the first 15 minutes), but make no mistake that life as we know it and as it has been passed down for generations down here is now a thing of the past.
Don't worry, all the big oil companies appreciate your sacrifice.
sc961
7/30/2010 12:10pm
huck wrote:
Oh no, make no mistake...it will "effect generations, and kill off wildlife as we know"....
They found a "BIG" red wind breaker, laid it out in the ocean, and all the oil disappeared..
7/30/2010 12:13pm
huck wrote:
sc961 wrote:
They found a "BIG" red wind breaker, laid it out in the ocean, and all the oil disappeared..
I don't get "windbreaker" humor?Blink
Void Main
7/30/2010 12:35pm
huck wrote:
sc961 wrote:
7/30/2010 12:44pm
sc961 wrote:
Void Main wrote:
All I saw was Huck playing grab ass with some young stuff.

You and Lenny want to act like there is something wrong with that. It's cool you guys are entitled to your opinion and all.

Something to think about though you have Lenny in an online forum to help you make fun of Huck.

Huck had young hotties in real life to make fun of people in Online forums!

Not even a close RACE HUCK laps the entire field! WINNER!
Void Main
7/30/2010 12:55pm
Void Main wrote:
All I saw was Huck playing grab ass with some young stuff. You and Lenny want to act like there is something wrong with that. It's...
All I saw was Huck playing grab ass with some young stuff.

You and Lenny want to act like there is something wrong with that. It's cool you guys are entitled to your opinion and all.

Something to think about though you have Lenny in an online forum to help you make fun of Huck.

Huck had young hotties in real life to make fun of people in Online forums!

Not even a close RACE HUCK laps the entire field! WINNER!
Sure, if your name is Chester the Molester. Wink
sc961
7/30/2010 1:02pm
Void Main wrote:
Huck, sorry to start this bucket of shit.

I was making a funny reference to Huck wearing a windbreaker at a game... Nothing more.

Wish you guys would leave this BS somewhere else.
7/30/2010 1:05pm
Void Main wrote:
Well it doesn't say Dirty Filter on my birth certificate!Wink
7/30/2010 1:06pm
Void Main wrote:
sc961 wrote:
Huck, sorry to start this bucket of shit. I was making a funny reference to Huck wearing a windbreaker at a game... Nothing more. Wish you...
Huck, sorry to start this bucket of shit.

I was making a funny reference to Huck wearing a windbreaker at a game... Nothing more.

Wish you guys would leave this BS somewhere else.
Void and I have never had a problem he has always been cool! We're just funnin!Tongue

Post a reply to: Has the world ended from the oil spill yet?

The Latest