Has To Be Nixon

JPT
Edited Date/Time 10/2/2020 2:30am
|
Ted722
10/1/2020 6:07pm Edited Date/Time 10/1/2020 7:49pm
Cool article. So, reached maturity(18) in 1969, ending the article with a story when he was 63 years old. All the while saying he was/is in his 60's throughout the article. Also mentions his last major win was close to 30 years ago. Stumped, but I'm going with Dave Aldana.

Ted722
10/1/2020 6:33pm
Sent the article to a friend who grew up racing dirt track in the 70's. He's going with Kenny Roberts. He said, "you can take Kenny out of Lodi, but you can't take Lodi out of Kenny." Laughing
early
Fantasy
2212th
10/1/2020 7:17pm
Ted722 wrote:
Sent the article to a friend who grew up racing dirt track in the 70's. He's going with Kenny Roberts. He said, "you can take Kenny...
Sent the article to a friend who grew up racing dirt track in the 70's. He's going with Kenny Roberts. He said, "you can take Kenny out of Lodi, but you can't take Lodi out of Kenny." Laughing
KR ain't broke

The Shop

tunedlength
10/1/2020 8:38pm Edited Date/Time 10/1/2020 8:38pm
I agree it's definitely not KR.
I would be surprised if it was Aldana, He was pretty careful with his money,
Could be a conglomeration of former riders stories.
KMC440
10/2/2020 2:30am
Ted722 wrote:
Sent the article to a friend who grew up racing dirt track in the 70's. He's going with Kenny Roberts. He said, "you can take Kenny...
Damn near got killed at the Cycle Bowl back in '87. Worst wreck of my life there. Fun place though.
JPT
10/7/2020 1:54pm
Nixon's T-Shirts fit the story. A few years before he passed I bought a t-shirt from him and sent a message requesting a rush on it. He filled the order himself and I ended up emailing back and forth with him a couple times. A fond memory.

I was looking at Triumphs at the Las Vegas dealership a few years back. Saw a Nixon picture on the wall and struck up a conversation with one of the owners. He told a story about when they were running those BMW Battles of the Legends at the RR Nationals with guys like Nixon, Breldsford and Reiman.. He was involved with pitting for Nixon and they got a request from the track officials. "Somebody please tell Gary to quit riding around on his minibike in his boxer shorts with a beer and doing wheelies". He would have been in his late 50's about this time.

BTW, Roger Reiman was killed practicing for one of those races at Daytona.
JPT
10/7/2020 1:55pm
Ted722 wrote:
early wrote:
KR ain't broke
Not even close.
Ted722
10/7/2020 2:37pm
A lot of cross-over in this article including t-shirts, money, and (of course) the ladies. The Rider is Nixon.

https://www.bikesportnews.com/features/features-detail/campaign-for-rea…

Funny story from the article. Promoter/writer Trippe recalling his London elevator story with Nixon and Aldana:

“At the very first Match Races we were lodged in luxury near Hyde Park. Nixon bet Aldana that he couldn’t persuade one of the many lovely ladies that they were observing from their balcony to join them in the suite upstairs. The cheeky little Mexican/American duly won the bet. On the way up to the room who should step into the lift with this odd couple plus ladies but Kirk Douglas, world star of Western and Biblical epics.

The girls obviously attracted the stars’ attention and as they got out of the lift, the boys gave Douglas a cheeky grin and said: ‘Get your own.’ This sort of behavior continued on and off the track throughout the entire series from Brands Hatch through Mallory Park to Oulton Park.”

Post a reply to: Has To Be Nixon

The Latest