Handgun advice

kripple428
Edited Date/Time 4/10/2016 8:12am
Looking at buying my first handgun. I've always been for guns just never personally owned once because I never thought I needed it but with there being a bunch of car/home break ins in my area recently I think I am going to purchase my first handgun just looking for advice on what I should buy I would like to stay under $800
|
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
4/7/2016 8:38pm Edited Date/Time 4/7/2016 9:10pm
HK USP .45 - If you want a combat proven tactical pistol with a bit of knock down power.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=551132931

If you are looking for a 9mm to carry.
Glock 19 Fits well in most folks hands and is light and very reliable.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=551738089

These are good also if you plan on getting it wet or are around real salty humid air..
I've owned a couple,they are a bit more pricey then $800 ...but they are great pistols.
Sig MK25 9mm (It's the Navy SEAL version of the P226 - they used to be SEAL issue.)
It wont rust and works great even after being submerged etc.. anti-corrosion coatings.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=551946616

This is one of my MK25's and my ARAK21 in 300Black Out.
motogeezer
4/7/2016 8:49pm
In general, people don't break into your home when you're there, and if you shoot someone for breaking into your car, you'll be in deep shit.

Also, if some one breaks into your house while you're gone and finds your gun, and you come home while they're still there, you might get shot with your own weapon.

Those are the reasons I've never bothered owning a gun.

A concealed carry permit is the only realistic way to go, so you can take your weapon with you.

If you're truly concerned about a home invasion robbery:

kripple428
4/7/2016 8:56pm
motogeezer wrote:
In general, people don't break into your home when you're there, and if you shoot someone for breaking into your car, you'll be in deep shit...
In general, people don't break into your home when you're there, and if you shoot someone for breaking into your car, you'll be in deep shit.

Also, if some one breaks into your house while you're gone and finds your gun, and you come home while they're still there, you might get shot with your own weapon.

A concealed carry permit is the only realistic way to go, so you can take your weapon with you.

oh no I've been wanting to get my carry permit since I turned 21 in october this is kind of just my motivation to actually do it. Thee been at least 6 home invasions in my area in the past few months where they've stopped at a house to ask for directions the forcing their way in. They've tied up a few families and smacked them up a little bit luckily they haven't killed anyone but with all that going on its just my last push to finally buy one
kripple428
4/7/2016 9:07pm
motogeezer wrote:
In general, people don't break into your home when you're there, and if you shoot someone for breaking into your car, you'll be in deep shit...

Also Tennessee extends the castle doctrine to vehicles as well not saying I would shoot someone for stealing my car but trnnrssee considers it justifiable

The Shop

motogeezer
4/7/2016 9:49pm
kripple428 wrote:
Also Tennessee extends the castle doctrine to vehicles as well not saying I would shoot someone for stealing my car but trnnrssee considers it justifiable
Justifiable or not, you're not going to feel good about killing someone.

Taking another person's life, for any reason, will weigh on you.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
4/7/2016 10:32pm
^ I disagree. Some people can do it and it don't bother them.

To the OP, if you only plan on keeping it in your home, I suggest a shot gun. Hand guns are really pretty pitiful weapons as far as guns are concerned.
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
4/8/2016 3:51am
I have a Glock 19 and my wife has a Glock 42 in her purse at all times.

We chose the Glocks because they didn't have external safeties. In the heat of the monent, I didn't want my wifeet fumbling around trying to remember which lever to flip. I also already had my 19 and she was used to shooting that, so the 42 just made sense so they operated the same way
Dtat720
4/8/2016 4:38am
For home protection, shotgun is the only way to go.

Mississippi extends the Castle Law to vehicles as well and we now have open carry as well. Like Texas is working on, we have a law that says a business that posts a sign stating firearms not allowed, has no recourse for concealed or open carry if a patron brings a firearm in the business. Basically, businesses cannot ban people with guns from entering.
Hman144
Fantasy
714th
4/8/2016 5:34am
Another thing to consider, no matter what handgun you opt for, is a laser sight. And get some training.

For home protection, I second the notion of a pump action shotgun. Just the sound of the action being racked would be enough to send someone in the other direction.
TailSoHard
4/8/2016 6:19am
Shotgun or Glock 19.

I'd go with the Glock if you were planning on using it for target shooting or carry purposes. Shotgun is better if you just want to have it for home invasions.

One thing to keep in mind is that a shotgun with the right shells will blow holes through your walls the size of a basketball, so you need to be conscious of what you're aiming at so that you don't shoot a loved one in the next room over. A hot handgun round will still go through a wall, but with a substantially lesser chance of hitting someone you don't intend to.
newmann
4/8/2016 7:58am
Find a gun store where you can fondle a bunch of them and possibly a range where you can rent a few different ones. If you go to rent one, you might want to take another person with you. Seems rent a guns are gaining popularity with people wanting to off themselves so when people show up alone to rent one they may suspect you are suicidal...Huh

huck
4/8/2016 8:31am
motogeezer wrote:

He lived in TN, he can shoot somebody for unlawfully entering his home without consequences...and rightfully so.
Harry_Gray
4/8/2016 9:21am
In regards to the OP, I am a fan of the Glock 19, buy would also recommend looking at the S&W M&P series of pistols as well along with the Springfield Armory XD series of pistols. Also, would support purchasing a pump action shotgun in 12 or 20 gauge. Would lean towards the Remington and Mossberg models if it was myself starting from scratch in regards to purchasing firearms for the first time.
JRT812
4/8/2016 11:46am
Glocks are around my house and it is what I prefer to carry. Great reputation and I trust they will alyways work. Glocks aren't for everyone though and I suggest following Newmann's advice... shoot as many as you can. Another thing I like about glocks is that a lot of the different models in the same caliber parts interchange such as mags.
4/8/2016 12:08pm
Go to a gun range that rents and tell them you want to try any concealed they may have on the wall. I was interested in the Springfield mod.2 and ended up shooting 4 different 9mms. I prefer the Springfield XD series over the Glocks just based on feel, but the Glocks are awesome guns. And like one guy said, anything without any manual safety is a good bet so you're not fiddling around in stressful situations. You've got a good set of options for under $800, go out and see what you can shoot.
IWreckALot
4/8/2016 12:41pm
kripple428 wrote:
motogeezer wrote:
Justifiable or not, you're not going to feel good about killing someone.

Taking another person's life, for any reason, will weigh on you.
I actually agree with your points. I think the reality of the after effects doesn't weigh on a lot of pro gun people when considering their gun rights. Ultimately though, if it came down to it, and it was my life or family or friend's lives, I'm not going to be dead without at least giving myself a fighting chance. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that logic.
downard254
4/8/2016 5:35pm Edited Date/Time 4/8/2016 5:36pm
Here's a thought. For the home, get the Judge. And buy the home defense shot for it. It's a bit heavy, but it sure packs a punch.
In the 9mm field, I too like the Glock, but for the money, I also like the S&W Sheild.

MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
4/8/2016 5:56pm
My main gripe with the XD series is the thumb/pointer finger webbing contact saftey. In the middle of the night I don't want to think twice about pulling the trigger and sending a shot down range.
hvaughn88
4/8/2016 7:15pm
MxKing809 wrote:
My main gripe with the XD series is the thumb/pointer finger webbing contact saftey. In the middle of the night I don't want to think twice...
My main gripe with the XD series is the thumb/pointer finger webbing contact saftey. In the middle of the night I don't want to think twice about pulling the trigger and sending a shot down range.
It's not even noticeable. With mine, if your holding the gun, the safety is pressed down
kripple428
4/8/2016 7:34pm
Spartacus wrote:
Get some training no matter what direction you go.
Oh for sure! Luckily for me one of the guys I work with is a pretty good competition shooter he trains a few times a week he's willing to let me tag along and show me some things which is nice. I'm pretty interested in the glock G22 I'm going to try and go by the local range on Sunday and rent one and shoot it a little bit and see what I think.
markit
4/10/2016 8:12am
Block or S&W M&P w what ever size and flavor.

Post a reply to: Handgun advice

The Latest