HELP - Smart TV and Cutting the Chord

MelonFan123
4/11/2018 1:09pm
ok two parter here...looking for advice and suggestions.

First, I'm in the market for a new TV. Last one we bought (5 or so yrs ago) "Smart TVs" were just coming out and we just got a standard hi-def LED. Back then 1080p was the best and thats all I remember looking for. Now there seems to be A LOT more "stuff". i'm told to look for a good Refresh Rate? Anything else to know? Not looking to spend a lot (under $1k) in fact the whole reason in getting a new one is to save money, which brings me to the next point...

Second, I want to get rid of the high monthly cable bill. What route does everyone recommend going? We have Netflix and Hulu accounts which are great for watching movies and original shows. But we still like watching regular cable TV as well - local news, and specialty channels like Discovery, A&E and of course Fox Sports for supercross.

Anybody use Slingbox? What about Firestick? Apple TV? Can you pick and choose channels from any of these a-la-carte style?

|
MR. X
4/11/2018 1:17pm
I bought a sony bravia a few months ago . I use the external antenna ,amazon prime ,and netflix . The internet can be used for watching the races and UFC fights when need be.
TXDirt
4/11/2018 1:57pm
Get an Amazon Fire TV box. Then download the PlayStation VUE app to it. Then sign up for a PlayStation VUE package.

Install Netflix and Hulu apps on Fire TV box as well.

Save money.

The end.
4/11/2018 2:02pm
I have a new Sony Bravia as well. Love the tv. I also have the fire stick but haven’t used it in a while. It worked good since it was “jail broke” (think that’s what it’s called) and had kodi on it.
TXDirt
4/11/2018 2:04pm
I have a new Sony Bravia as well. Love the tv. I also have the fire stick but haven’t used it in a while. It worked...
I have a new Sony Bravia as well. Love the tv. I also have the fire stick but haven’t used it in a while. It worked good since it was “jail broke” (think that’s what it’s called) and had kodi on it.
You don't have to jailbreak it to put Kodi on it. But I get your point. I have Kodi installed on all of our Fireboxes that manages a massive media library I have.

2,500 movies
35,000 mp3's
Over 300,000 family pictures.

Kodi is the ultimate manager of your home media.

The Shop

MudPup545
4/11/2018 2:31pm
TXDirt wrote:
You don't have to jailbreak it to put Kodi on it. But I get your point. I have Kodi installed on all of our Fireboxes that...
You don't have to jailbreak it to put Kodi on it. But I get your point. I have Kodi installed on all of our Fireboxes that manages a massive media library I have.

2,500 movies
35,000 mp3's
Over 300,000 family pictures.

Kodi is the ultimate manager of your home media.
This Kodi, you mentioned the mp3's. Can you upload CDs to it? I have a old, massive CD collection that I'd like to store on an app and play through my Smart TV. I'm assuming this is cloud storage? I'm not tech savvy at all so please explain in simple terms. Thank you.
TXDirt
4/11/2018 3:10pm Edited Date/Time 4/11/2018 3:20pm
You need to rip the cds into mp3 format. Lots of cheap software can do it. You need to store them on a network attached storage device. It must be local storage. Not cloud storage. I use a QNAP for example to store all my data. Then you connect the Kodi interface to your music library. That’s it in a nutshell.

I spent a lot of time copying all of my cds into mp3 format. And took me even longer to copy my dvd library. But now that it’s all done I have an amazing media hub with endless music, movies, and pictures/videos.
FastEddy
Fantasy
955th
4/11/2018 3:36pm Edited Date/Time 4/11/2018 3:43pm
My favorite set-up.
Roku as far as pre-installed smart tv software goes - never had any issues with it - no gripes about bugs - lots of apps also that seem to work flawlessly.

I also have a Kodi box(I have an Infinity pro 4k box with keyboard & mouse & remote) I like it - it's a good setup.My favorite thing about it is,I found a way to make my own channel lists and I can add ace content ID's to it and get tons of channels that aren't even available by providers in my area.
Foghorn
4/11/2018 3:37pm
TXDirt wrote:
You need to rip the cds into mp3 format. Lots of cheap software can do it. You need to store them on a network attached storage...
You need to rip the cds into mp3 format. Lots of cheap software can do it. You need to store them on a network attached storage device. It must be local storage. Not cloud storage. I use a QNAP for example to store all my data. Then you connect the Kodi interface to your music library. That’s it in a nutshell.

I spent a lot of time copying all of my cds into mp3 format. And took me even longer to copy my dvd library. But now that it’s all done I have an amazing media hub with endless music, movies, and pictures/videos.
Are you using any software for getting rid of duplicates, mostly MP3s. I have about 50,000 but there are certainly quite a few duplicates. Carry over from the napster days. 100% law abiding for many years now.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
4/11/2018 3:49pm
FastEddy wrote:
My favorite set-up. Roku as far as pre-installed smart tv software goes - never had any issues with it - no gripes about bugs - lots...
My favorite set-up.
Roku as far as pre-installed smart tv software goes - never had any issues with it - no gripes about bugs - lots of apps also that seem to work flawlessly.

I also have a Kodi box(I have an Infinity pro 4k box with keyboard & mouse & remote) I like it - it's a good setup.My favorite thing about it is,I found a way to make my own channel lists and I can add ace content ID's to it and get tons of channels that aren't even available by providers in my area.
I love Roku. I kind of got one one day as an after thought and its great.

I upgraded to another Roku, for another TV, and I hooked up HDMI 1.4 from surround to TV, and now control it all with the one Roku remote.
TXDirt
4/11/2018 3:59pm
FastEddy wrote:
My favorite set-up. Roku as far as pre-installed smart tv software goes - never had any issues with it - no gripes about bugs - lots...
My favorite set-up.

Yeah you can’t put Kodi on a roku. I can on the Fire Tv box. So one less box I need. I also despise the roku interface. And it has less apps too.
TXDirt
4/11/2018 4:04pm
TXDirt wrote:
You need to rip the cds into mp3 format. Lots of cheap software can do it. You need to store them on a network attached storage...

Foghorn wrote:
Are you using any software for getting rid of duplicates, mostly MP3s. I have about 50,000 but there are certainly quite a few duplicates. Carry over...
Are you using any software for getting rid of duplicates, mostly MP3s. I have about 50,000 but there are certainly quite a few duplicates. Carry over from the napster days. 100% law abiding for many years now.
There is some software out there but it doesn’t work real well. I’ve been going through by hand and cleaning up.

Also trying to organize pictures. Which is a bitch with a few hundred thousand. But I can do them in decent sized batches. It’s tedious and take a long time but nice to have everything organized.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
4/11/2018 4:04pm
Nobody has mentioned local channels other than antenna. If the antenna is not a option is there anything out there for local network channels so we don’t miss the local evening news, football, autoracing etc? I have all the Netflix, Amazon, firestick stuff but for local channels I’m using direct tv and it is high
TXDirt
4/11/2018 4:19pm
KennyT wrote:
Nobody has mentioned local channels other than antenna. If the antenna is not a option is there anything out there for local network channels so we...
Nobody has mentioned local channels other than antenna. If the antenna is not a option is there anything out there for local network channels so we don’t miss the local evening news, football, autoracing etc? I have all the Netflix, Amazon, firestick stuff but for local channels I’m using direct tv and it is high
PlayStation VUE has all the local channels. Depends on your area but they have most/all. In Dallas I have all of them.

I will never go back to DirecTV.
ohiomotoxer
4/11/2018 5:38pm Edited Date/Time 4/11/2018 5:39pm
IF u r going to steal via firewhatever you had better be running a good solid VPN
For me roku, netflix and philo.
no sports on philo but all the good channels like paramount, discovery etc. $16
That and a HD antenna.
F direct tv!
TXDirt
4/11/2018 6:15pm
IF u r going to steal via firewhatever you had better be running a good solid VPN For me roku, netflix and philo. no sports on...
IF u r going to steal via firewhatever you had better be running a good solid VPN
For me roku, netflix and philo.
no sports on philo but all the good channels like paramount, discovery etc. $16
That and a HD antenna.
F direct tv!
Don’t really need to steal anything. The legit stuff doesn’t cost much anymore. Netflix, Hulu, PS Vue, and Amazon Prime is collectively cheaper then DirecTV per month.

Throw in the other things you might like.

UFC App
Nbc sports app for motocross in HD
YouTube
Crackle
Etc etc

I can get a great Tv package from PlayStation VUE that includes HBO, Showtime, and Epix, for like $75 a month. Over half the price of DirecTV for that alone.

I can get all of this legitimately and cheaply from my FireTv box.

Honestly these things don’t cost much so why steal it? And lots of the illegal sources don’t have the same quality either. Not to mention it’s illegal.

Just really no point anymore.

Same reason why places like Napster and Limewire don’t exist. 1. It was illegal. 2. Once prices of legit licensed music crashed in price thanks to places like itunes, there really wasn’t a reason to pirate music anymore.

Same thing for movies and tv shows now.
jeffro503
4/11/2018 7:04pm
KennyT wrote:
Nobody has mentioned local channels other than antenna. If the antenna is not a option is there anything out there for local network channels so we...
TXDirt wrote:
PlayStation VUE has all the local channels. Depends on your area but they have most/all. In Dallas I have all of them. I will never go...
PlayStation VUE has all the local channels. Depends on your area but they have most/all. In Dallas I have all of them.

Here in Portland , I can only get three main local channels. ABC , NBC and Fox. I do live on the outskirts of the city though , and an HD antenna works great. Was actually surprised at the 25+ channels I can get , and about half of those are in HD.

I'm on about 6 months now on the Firebox with Amazon prime and PS Vue , with Netflix and Kodi setup......and don't miss Direct TV at all. One thing to mention is that the PS Vue has one hell of a powerful PVR setup. Basically just " Add to my list " on any show , movie , ect.....it's unlimited as far as I know. BUT......not all channels let you watch previous shows. Noticed this on motor sports stuff. Like F1.....you have to watch it live , as it won't let you watch it later.
motogrady
4/11/2018 7:22pm Edited Date/Time 4/11/2018 7:32pm
I have one flatscreen set up that uses only local signal, totally free.
Went to lowes. Bought an old style TV antennae, the kind people used to put on their roofs.
Was about 60 bucks.
Mounted it upside down in the attic, in a way I can spin it 360 degrees,
Ran a coaxial cable from the antennae to the cable tv fitting on the back of the TV, marked input.
Had to get an adapter, also at lowes, to go from the 2 wires on the antennae to the coaxial cable.

Set the TV, using the remote, input, to antennae. Mine has hgtv1, hgtv2, dvr and antennae.
Then slowly turn the antennae in the attic until you pull the most channels, with the best picture.
Have someone watch the tv while you turn it,
The TV should load what what channels it can see.

I get maybe a dozen channels. Pittsburg to Morgantown, some Ohio, some Maryland.
Now, I live on a ridge, in a town that sits on a pretty high plateau.
No History Channel, no BEIN, no A&E. None of that stuff.
It's picks up signal straight from the station, no box or account of any kind.
National news, ABC, CBS, NBC, national TV, yes, local weather and driving conditions, yes. That's what we use that one for, mainly weather and local news. FS1, Discovery, BEIN, History Channel, we get that with satellite and Dish on other TVs.

I could live on antennae only. Totally free, totally legal.
The way it was before cable and satellite.
TXDirt
4/11/2018 7:25pm
KennyT wrote:
TXDirt wrote:
PlayStation VUE has all the local channels. Depends on your area but they have most/all. In Dallas I have all of them. I will never go...

jeffro503 wrote:
Here in Portland , I can only get three main local channels. ABC , NBC and Fox. I do live on the outskirts of the city...
Here in Portland , I can only get three main local channels. ABC , NBC and Fox. I do live on the outskirts of the city though , and an HD antenna works great. Was actually surprised at the 25+ channels I can get , and about half of those are in HD.

I'm on about 6 months now on the Firebox with Amazon prime and PS Vue , with Netflix and Kodi setup......and don't miss Direct TV at all. One thing to mention is that the PS Vue has one hell of a powerful PVR setup. Basically just " Add to my list " on any show , movie , ect.....it's unlimited as far as I know. BUT......not all channels let you watch previous shows. Noticed this on motor sports stuff. Like F1.....you have to watch it live , as it won't let you watch it later.
Actually it’s recording all the time into the cloud weather you add to your list or not. You can go to any channel and backup several hours and watch any show you want on that channel. Excluding some live sports like you said.

It’s definately an awesome PVR system they have.
jeffro503
4/11/2018 8:05pm
TXDirt wrote:

jeffro503 wrote:
Here in Portland , I can only get three main local channels. ABC , NBC and Fox. I do live on the outskirts of the city...

TXDirt wrote:
Actually it’s recording all the time into the cloud weather you add to your list or not. You can go to any channel and backup several...
Actually it’s recording all the time into the cloud weather you add to your list or not. You can go to any channel and backup several hours and watch any show you want on that channel. Excluding some live sports like you said.

I hear ya TX. I actually used a lot of your advice over the past year or so before I made the jump to cut the cord. I got everything working for a couple months first , to see if I would like it , get used to it and so forth before getting rid of Direct TV. And I gotta say , I actually loved Direct TV compared to any other TV service.....but it was just to dang much money. With the Vue.....like you , I added HBO and Showtime , pay $75.00/mo ( which is half of what I paid for Direct TV....with NO premium channels! ).....and I couldn't be more happy.

Btw......did you see that Direct TV now has an app on the Firebox? So funny , but that app showed up , literally 1 day after I cancelled my service. Don't know much about it though.
4/11/2018 8:18pm
There's some good information in these threads regarding services and other the air antennas. I would look into youtube TV for a service and suggest buying a Sony X900F TV:

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Cord-cutters-guide-to-20…

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/NBC-Sports-Gold-is-Magik…
FastEddy
Fantasy
955th
4/11/2018 8:33pm Edited Date/Time 4/11/2018 9:22pm
TXDirt wrote:
Yeah you can’t put Kodi on a roku. I can on the Fire Tv box. So one less box I need. I also despise the roku...
Yeah you can’t put Kodi on a roku. I can on the Fire Tv box. So one less box I need. I also despise the roku interface. And it has less apps too.
I'll have to look into installing it on my Roku - which I have on the wall in the master bedroom.
Thanks.
Right now my kodi box is in my home office room hooked up to my TV in there.
Chromecast came installed on that TV.
I have also have kodi on my Galaxy S9 plus phone i use to mirror every now & then.
Another method I would use to watch TV channels on that chromecast TV before I got that kodi box, is I had Mobdro installed on my phone and then I could just cast to it from Mobdro. It worked pretty well.
TXDirt
4/12/2018 4:25am
TXDirt wrote:
Yeah you can’t put Kodi on a roku. I can on the Fire Tv box. So one less box I need. I also despise the roku...
FastEddy wrote:
I'll have to look into installing it on my Roku - which I have on the wall in the master bedroom. Thanks. Right now my kodi...
I'll have to look into installing it on my Roku - which I have on the wall in the master bedroom.
Thanks.
Right now my kodi box is in my home office room hooked up to my TV in there.
Chromecast came installed on that TV.
I have also have kodi on my Galaxy S9 plus phone i use to mirror every now & then.
Another method I would use to watch TV channels on that chromecast TV before I got that kodi box, is I had Mobdro installed on my phone and then I could just cast to it from Mobdro. It worked pretty well.
You can’t insall Kodi on Roku. It can’t be done. Roku uses its own programming language called Bright Script or something like that. It’s not android. This is partly why I hate Roku. Kodi can be installed on pretty much any Android device. Thats why you can install it on your galaxy. That’s android. Roku isn’t android. There is no version of Kodi that works on Roku.

You can mirror a device that Kodi can run on over to Roku but that’s about it. Which sounds like you are doing that already.
TXDirt
4/12/2018 4:42am
jeffro503 wrote:

TXDirt wrote:
Actually it’s recording all the time into the cloud weather you add to your list or not. You can go to any channel and backup several...

jeffro503 wrote:
I hear ya TX. I actually used a lot of your advice over the past year or so before I made the jump to cut the...
I hear ya TX. I actually used a lot of your advice over the past year or so before I made the jump to cut the cord. I got everything working for a couple months first , to see if I would like it , get used to it and so forth before getting rid of Direct TV. And I gotta say , I actually loved Direct TV compared to any other TV service.....but it was just to dang much money. With the Vue.....like you , I added HBO and Showtime , pay $75.00/mo ( which is half of what I paid for Direct TV....with NO premium channels! ).....and I couldn't be more happy.

Btw......did you see that Direct TV now has an app on the Firebox? So funny , but that app showed up , literally 1 day after I cancelled my service. Don't know much about it though.
Yeah DirecTV has their own streaming app service now and the early reviews were it is garbage. Perhaps it will get better over time.

I’ll stick with VUE.
agn5009
4/12/2018 5:10am
Check to see whether or not your internet service provider will throttle your speeds if you use too much data. That's what mine did when I cut the cord. Toward the end of the month I couldn't stream anything because I apparently used more than my allowed data Unsure

Gotta love it.
MR. X
4/12/2018 5:52am
agn5009 wrote:
Check to see whether or not your internet service provider will throttle your speeds if you use too much data. That's what mine did when I...
Check to see whether or not your internet service provider will throttle your speeds if you use too much data. That's what mine did when I cut the cord. Toward the end of the month I couldn't stream anything because I apparently used more than my allowed data Unsure

Gotta love it.
Our cable company took the time out of their busy day to bombard us with phone calls ,they couldn't help but notice we were using streaming sites and they had an offer we just couldn't refuse on a site they owned ... CLICK.
FastEddy
Fantasy
955th
4/12/2018 7:41am
TXDirt wrote:
You can’t insall Kodi on Roku. It can’t be done. Roku uses its own programming language called Bright Script or something like that. It’s not android...
You can’t insall Kodi on Roku. It can’t be done. Roku uses its own programming language called Bright Script or something like that. It’s not android. This is partly why I hate Roku. Kodi can be installed on pretty much any Android device. Thats why you can install it on your galaxy. That’s android. Roku isn’t android. There is no version of Kodi that works on Roku.

You can mirror a device that Kodi can run on over to Roku but that’s about it. Which sounds like you are doing that already.
I see, you'd need an Android emulator for Roku (hypothetically) that assume is non-existent software at this time.

TXDirt
4/12/2018 7:56am
TXDirt wrote:
You can’t insall Kodi on Roku. It can’t be done. Roku uses its own programming language called Bright Script or something like that. It’s not android...

FastEddy wrote:
I see, you'd need an Android emulator for Roku (hypothetically) that assume is non-existent software at this time.

Yeah it doesn't exist. That's why I went with Firebox over Roku. Firebox is android. Roku is BrightScript.

If you are a developer, do you want to develop your app for a 200 million device eco system (Android) or a 10 million device eco system (Roku).

Pretty obvious what the answer is.

Kodi supports a ton of languages and platforms already. But it would be a monumental task to port it to BrightScript and at the end of the day it's just not worth it. And also Roku is locked down similar to iOS. Where as Android is opensource.

brlatm
4/12/2018 8:30am
Thanks for the info, I don't watch any of the Premium channels and only use mainly cooking channels and Supercross. The wife does like her pre-recorded stuff NCIS, Criminal Minds etc. I guess I didn't realize that Vue was cloud based and it could DVR. I'll look into this further and do some research.

hey TXdirt, why the Firebox over say the AppleTv if you already have it installed?

Post a reply to: HELP - Smart TV and Cutting the Chord

The Latest