Guadalcanal

Barrett57
Came across this while bored out of my mind in lockdown, this is one hell of a documentary. If you have some time to kill this is worth a watch.
https://youtu.be/MU3osN3UJaw
|
MudPup545
4/29/2020 5:36am
Great watch with my morning coffee. Thank you for the heads up. My grandpa was a WWII battleship sailor, USS California BB-44. Fought in Leyte Gulf. Years later I served on the USS Kansas City AOR-3.
JAFO92
4/29/2020 5:44am
Watching it also just now with coffee, jeez that gentleman only 4 minutes in almost got my waterworks going.

I know its been said so many times, but the Greatest Generation truly were something special.
MikeID
4/29/2020 6:16am
If you like to read, “Guadalcanal”, by Richard B. Frank, is the best book I’ve read about the campaign. It is a military history that covers air, sea, and land aspects in a riveting fashion. It is a fantastic book you can read again and again.

Over the years I’ve found that history books written by military historians like Frank, or the books written by the veterans, tend to be much better than the more recent books written by journalists, like the 3-part series about the US Army in WWII. In those books, it seems like the author writes to sensationalize events as if it were investigative journalism. “An Army at Dawn” was so bad, I had to throw it away after reading a bit over a 100 pages.
Barrett57
4/29/2020 6:56am
MudPup545 wrote:
Great watch with my morning coffee. Thank you for the heads up. My grandpa was a WWII battleship sailor, USS California BB-44. Fought in Leyte Gulf...
Great watch with my morning coffee. Thank you for the heads up. My grandpa was a WWII battleship sailor, USS California BB-44. Fought in Leyte Gulf. Years later I served on the USS Kansas City AOR-3.
Just read up on the California, that ship had an interesting history. Sunk at pearl harbour, salvaged and later hit it by a kamikaze.

The Shop

MudPup545
4/29/2020 7:06am Edited Date/Time 4/29/2020 11:16am
MudPup545 wrote:
Great watch with my morning coffee. Thank you for the heads up. My grandpa was a WWII battleship sailor, USS California BB-44. Fought in Leyte Gulf...
Barrett57 wrote:
Just read up on the California, that ship had an interesting history. Sunk at pearl harbour, salvaged and later hit it by a kamikaze.
My grandpa only told me one story from the war.
He was at his general quarters post, an anti-aircraft gun. They were firing at a kamikaze that was heading straight for them. He ran away from the gun mount. At that point he paused his story and teared up a bit, “I made it, they didn’t “, were his next words. I never asked him another question about the war again.
jjavaman
Fantasy
3765th
4/29/2020 8:01am
JAFO92 wrote:
Watching it also just now with coffee, jeez that gentleman only 4 minutes in almost got my waterworks going. I know its been said so many...
Watching it also just now with coffee, jeez that gentleman only 4 minutes in almost got my waterworks going.

I know its been said so many times, but the Greatest Generation truly were something special.
And now youngsters are saying to lock them up so they can have their freedom.....
Barrett57
4/29/2020 9:37am
MudPup545 wrote:
My grandpa only told me one story from the war. He was at his general quarters post, an anti-aircraft gun. They were firing at a kamikaze...
He was at his general quarters post, an anti-aircraft gun. They were firing at a kamikaze that was heading straight for them. He ran away from the gun mount. At that point he paused his story and teared up a bit, “I made it, they didn’t “, were his next words. I never asked him another question about the war again.
Yeah they never did like talking about it did they, my grandparents only told me about the funny things that happened but I know they saw some awful things.

Speaking about kamikazes, I think this is some of the most incredible footage to come out of ww2 considering almost all the film you usually see is staged. https://youtu.be/yN-zEpXwf4s
Ted722
4/29/2020 10:32am Edited Date/Time 4/30/2020 9:42am
My Grandpa was on the USS Atlanta in that battle. Asked him numerous times as a young teenage boy to tell me about WWII. The repeated answer, "war is horrible" Toward the end of his life, he did reveal that he was in the lower quarters/engine room when they were hit. And as he miraculously made his way out of the mess, he saw or had to move out of the way friends that were fatally injured. I can't imagine. And at night.

Prior to that, he was on the USS Arizona, weeks prior to Dec. 7th, 1941. His new assignment came and he was on a train headed to the East Coast to board the USS Atlanta when Pearl Harbor happened. In that time period, my Grandma did not know. And for a few days, she still thought he was on the Arizona that fateful day.

My Great Grandparents came over from Spain and my Grandma was born in San Francisco. My Grandpa was from Texas and joined the Navy in '37 when he was 17 years old. They met each other in 1939 in San Francisco while his ship was in port. They were married 62 years until he passed and she lived for another 13 years. There's so much more, but it's an amazing story that I respect more and more everyday.

The Nov.13 1942 battle he was in, was at night, and it was chaos, Of all ship names possible, they took friendly fire from the USS San Francisco heavy cruiser after being disabled by Japanese fire. I know, it could have been any ship name, but somewhat ironic.
DoctorJD
4/29/2020 11:09am
MikeID wrote:
If you like to read, “Guadalcanal”, by Richard B. Frank, is the best book I’ve read about the campaign. It is a military history that covers...
If you like to read, “Guadalcanal”, by Richard B. Frank, is the best book I’ve read about the campaign. It is a military history that covers air, sea, and land aspects in a riveting fashion. It is a fantastic book you can read again and again.

Over the years I’ve found that history books written by military historians like Frank, or the books written by the veterans, tend to be much better than the more recent books written by journalists, like the 3-part series about the US Army in WWII. In those books, it seems like the author writes to sensationalize events as if it were investigative journalism. “An Army at Dawn” was so bad, I had to throw it away after reading a bit over a 100 pages.
Thanks for the suggestion, I've been looking for something to read. "With The Old Breed" by Eugene Sledge is a really good book, as well. It was part of the basis of the mini-series "The Pacific".

My wifes (step) grandad was a Naval Aviator in WWII. He flew dive bombers off of several ships during his tours, one of which was the Enterprise. There's a picture of him in the Enterprise exhibit at the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola. When I first met him, it was like meeting a rock star....actually probably better. I have always been extremely intrigued with WWII, especially the air war. So I wanted to ask him so many questions, but each time I kinda prodded, he deflected the conversation. I could tell he didn't want to talk about it, so I never brought it up again.

I read a book (Dauntless Helldivers) a few years ago written by his squad leader. There's a story in there about him in which they went out on a bombing mission and one of his bombs wouldn't release. He flew back to the carrier and they had him do a bunch of maneuvers to shake it loose, to no avail, it wouldn't release. The flight director thought that if it made it through all of those maneuvers, then it would probably stay attached during the landing. It didn't. It came loose and skidded across the deck killing four crew members.That had to be gut-wrenching.
MudPup545
4/29/2020 12:50pm
MudPup545 wrote:
My grandpa only told me one story from the war. He was at his general quarters post, an anti-aircraft gun. They were firing at a kamikaze...
Barrett57 wrote:
Yeah they never did like talking about it did they, my grandparents only told me about the funny things that happened but I know they saw...
Yeah they never did like talking about it did they, my grandparents only told me about the funny things that happened but I know they saw some awful things.

Speaking about kamikazes, I think this is some of the most incredible footage to come out of ww2 considering almost all the film you usually see is staged. https://youtu.be/yN-zEpXwf4s
Crazy to watch that footage knowing that one of those battleships being hit could have been my grandpa's.
Barrett57
4/29/2020 1:18pm
MudPup545 wrote:
Crazy to watch that footage knowing that one of those battleships being hit could have been my grandpa's.
Not sure if you've seen this, but this is California departing Pearl Harbour in 1944 apparently. Pretty cool shots of the crew.

https://youtu.be/7XPviVlNJaY
jeffro503
4/29/2020 5:58pm
Thanks for this Barrett. WWII has always been a fascination of mine and I've done quite a bit of reading and watching videos on all the different fronts and theater's that took place. What's amazing is , there were so many , both big and small. Each one of them were important. Haven't watched the entire video you posted yet , but I will , as I haven't seen this one before.
MudPup545
4/30/2020 4:42am
Barrett57 wrote:
Not sure if you've seen this, but this is California departing Pearl Harbour in 1944 apparently. Pretty cool shots of the crew.

https://youtu.be/7XPviVlNJaY
I watched that a few times. Staring at every face, even paused it a few times. Hoping to catch a glimpse of grandpa. And then I noticed the ship itself (duh). The super structure, bridge, crows nest, etc.... are all from before she was sunk at Pearl. After the rebuild she looked quite a bit different. So it was before his time onboard. Still a cool video though. Thank you.

Post a reply to: Guadalcanal

The Latest