Greta van Fleet (Led Zep Wanabees?)

gabrielito
Edited Date/Time 1/24/2019 8:10am
What do you guys think? I like the tune. Is it too much of a cheap copy?
|
dsmith
Fantasy
1470th
9/23/2017 4:07pm
I like them...
gabrielito
9/23/2017 4:57pm
dsmith wrote:
I like them...
Be interesting to see if they catch on. haven't heard a rock voice like that in a long time. They are real young and three of them are brothers. From what I've read they have a pretty deep music background.
borg
9/23/2017 5:34pm
I liked it. As far as Zep wanabees go, they have had their issues with "borrowing" themselves. The sound is definitely Zep influenced but it's OK. Write some good stuff and let er rip.
ledger
9/23/2017 6:17pm
I like it, they're all talented. Good to hear rock and roll again.

The Shop

gabrielito
9/25/2017 10:24am
I really like this song. Here the singer (and ) tune sound more like Triumph or something than Led Zep. If nothing else the singer has a phenomenal voice.

gabrielito
9/25/2017 10:50am
Dude, the 1984 SoCal rat tail is a legit hair style.
boston_jorj
9/25/2017 11:17am
I wanted to see them in concert here local. As soon as I could purchase tickets they were sold out. I was bummed. I really like them.
OldPro277
9/25/2017 3:08pm
They sold out here at a local joint outside of Pitts before I could get online to order. These kids are a breath of fresh air. I tell my daughter all the time that 40 years from now no one is going to remember Taylor Swift or Katy Perry or any of the top selling "rock" bands today, but yet Zeppelin,Floyd,Stones and even bands like Aerosmith ,Def Leppard are still all over the airwaves and selling records. And yes, I did buy Greta Van fleet's EP. 4 tunes but all very good. Hoping for big things from these kid myself.
FolkLoar
9/25/2017 7:23pm
I told the guys in my band about them about a month ago. After going home and listening to the album, two of them sent me "thank you" texts the next morning. It was like I had taken them on a nice date or something. Grinning

We do play a bunch of Zeppelin songs though, so it was right up our alley sound wise.
Mr. G
9/25/2017 7:47pm
Start @ 20:20
PD441
9/26/2017 3:44pm
I snagged a couple of tickets to their show here in Tucson. It was going to be at a bar venue called The Rock on 10/17 and sold out pretty quick. A couple weeks ago they bumped it to 11/1 and the bigger Rialto Theater. Looking forward to it. Couldn't pass it up for $12 a ticket.

I hear a lot of Zep in them but also a little AC/DC in the guitar. Good stuff for kids these days (I'm an old fart).

I'll review it here if I remember to.
gabrielito
9/27/2017 7:46am
After a few days of listening to them I really dig em. There young so they have lots of room to expand. Here's what the guitarist said about the Led Zep influence. I really think they are legit.

Q. I’m guessing Led Zeppelin’s an influence, but after reading up on the band, I see you also love stuff like Wilson Pickett, Joe Cocker and a lot of those late 60s/early 70s influences. Where does your musical background come from?

A. Oh that’s totally for sure where Josh’s influence comes — from a very soul and funk influence so yeah a lot of those are Josh’s influences. The one common ground that we all share as far as our influences goes is the blues. We’re all equally inspired by the blues. That’s what we’ve all listened to together. Coming from that I was always fascinated by Muddy Waters, Elmore James you know, the heavy, heavy guys, those great blues acts and then another thing I was quite fascinated by, and I think we all were, was the British Invasion and the British interpretation of the blues. That was really cool to see them take it to that point. So being the influence that it is, for us its the blues and the British Invasion. And I think it’s great because we’ve kind of come up with the idea of reinterpreting the material from that era, which I think is great.

Read More: Greta Van Fleet's Jake Kiszka Talks 'Black Smoke Rising' EP + More | http://loudwire.com/greta-van-fleet-jake-kiszka-black-smoke-rising-ep-b…
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
9/27/2017 11:45am
It all goes back to the blues. Jimmy Page would tell you so himself.

It's cool to read that this younger band still sees the value in knowing your roots!
gabrielito
9/30/2017 9:54am
Pretty cool stuff from last night from these guys. They're good for their age but Plant was younger when Zep recorded I and II. Crazy to think about that.

JAFO92
7/30/2018 5:17am Edited Date/Time 7/30/2018 5:26am
Sooooooo refreshing to see some real rock & roll being made again. Them kids got it going on.

And they put out a vinyl LPs too, they know their target audience.

XXVoid MainXX
7/30/2018 6:21am
I saw a buddy trying to get tickets to their upcoming show here in St Louis. No luck, all sold out.
borg
7/30/2018 8:28am
Not sure if it was this thread or not but after watching the Greta vids this morning my browser was hijacked. I watched one other vid from a local CBS news site.
XXVoid MainXX
7/30/2018 12:41pm
borg wrote:
Not sure if it was this thread or not but after watching the Greta vids this morning my browser was hijacked. I watched one other vid...
Not sure if it was this thread or not but after watching the Greta vids this morning my browser was hijacked. I watched one other vid from a local CBS news site.
They talk about that here:

http://www.gretavanfleet.com/
OldPro277
7/30/2018 1:50pm
For Fathers day, my daughter got me tickets for their Pittsburgh show on 7/18. 6 of us went (including her and my son in law) . The show sold out in less than 5 minutes. A thing I found really really interesting was the crowd . It was pretty much evenly split between the youngin's (18-30) and people my age (50-65). I will say unequivocally that these kids blew the roof off the place , and it was an OUTDOOR concert !!!lol. Without question the most talented group of young musicians I've seen. I have to be honest, I was really fearful that their live sound would not be as big, clean and sharp as their studio sound , but I was very very wrong. Josh's vocals are even better live than they are in the studio, and the big ,powerful sound coming from the remaining 3 reminded me of Rush in concert. I urge anyone that loves REAL rocknroll to do what they have to do to catch Greta live.
borg
7/30/2018 5:51pm
borg wrote:
Not sure if it was this thread or not but after watching the Greta vids this morning my browser was hijacked. I watched one other vid...
They talk about that here:

http://www.gretavanfleet.com/
I get a 403 forbidden error with that link.
borg
7/30/2018 6:29pm
I do too. Weird. Guess they quit taking redirects from us. Smile
If I type in the url in search I get the website listing but It says my browser does not support their videos and to go to the FAQ's. Which I cannot find.
Oh well. I guess I wont be listening to their stuff. From what I have heard so far, once you get over the Zep similarities it's kind of ho hum anyway. They have the sound but not the songwriting.
XXVoid MainXX
7/30/2018 6:34pm
Of course my link was just a joke, redirect to H Jack's plumbing. I couldn't resist when you said your browser got hijacked. Smile
borg
7/30/2018 6:48pm
Of course my link was just a joke, redirect to H Jack's plumbing. I couldn't resist when you said your browser got hijacked. Smile
You've been fucking me over for years Void. As soon as I clicked it, I thought, oh no. Rick rolled.
7/31/2018 8:51am
I saw them in D.C. on July 20....absolutely PHENOMENAL. I was blown away. The energy and talent they have is off the charts. It reminded me of what it must have been like to see one of the "classic" bands in their prime...they weren't just going through the motions, they were living and breathing that music.

https://youtu.be/NBulm_q_tak

The album is pretty "Led Clones", but live GVF actually doesn't remind me of Zeppelin at all. The guitarist, Jake Kiszka, has more of a bluesy Clapton/Hendrix/Stevie Ray Vaughn feel than a Jimmy Page feel. He reminds me a lot of Pearl Jam's Stone Gossard, who has the same sort of wah-heavy blues driven jammy style. And the vocalist reminds me of Geddy Lee from Rush. These guys know their shit and have been influenced by the best. HIGHLY recommend them to any fellow classic rock guys Cool
OldPro277
7/31/2018 10:41am
borg wrote:
If I type in the url in search I get the website listing but It says my browser does not support their videos and to go...
If I type in the url in search I get the website listing but It says my browser does not support their videos and to go to the FAQ's. Which I cannot find.
Oh well. I guess I wont be listening to their stuff. From what I have heard so far, once you get over the Zep similarities it's kind of ho hum anyway. They have the sound but not the songwriting.
Borg---Obviously music is in the ear of the beholder,lol, but don't sell these kids short. One of the most impressive things about Greta is their songwriting abilities. Give them a little longer listen.
gabrielito
7/31/2018 1:17pm
I do too. Weird. Guess they quit taking redirects from us. Smile
borg wrote:
If I type in the url in search I get the website listing but It says my browser does not support their videos and to go...
Plant said they have a good sound similar to Led Zep I. They do not have the ability to even come close to following in Zep's footsteps. There is probably zero chance three brothers in the entire history of the world could amount to the musical skill of Page, Plant and Jones. And even if they could they would have to find a drummer as good as Bonzo, good luck with that.

With that said, I think they are really good and given the context of music today they would qualify as great songwriters. In fact one of the main reasons they were signed to a record label was because they could write their own songs.

Post a reply to: Greta van Fleet (Led Zep Wanabees?)

The Latest