Grammar with Falcon

SEEMEFIRST
8/5/2022 7:25am
Elliot wrote:
Not a grammar question as such but what does 'grift' mean in the US? I've heard it a few times recently but not fully understood its...
Not a grammar question as such but what does 'grift' mean in the US?

I've heard it a few times recently but not fully understood its meaning.

Low level swindle.

If someone sold you a bottle of flavored water for $20.00 passing it off as a cure for for the common cold would be a grift.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
8/5/2022 7:30am
sende wrote:
I'm from Finland but still, I was today years old when I found out that refrigerator doesn't have the letter d in it. I could have...
I'm from Finland but still, I was today years old when I found out that refrigerator doesn't have the letter d in it. I could have bet a 100 that it is refridgerator. Laughing

To acquire someone else's money by setting them up to believe something other than the truth (fraudulent intent).
To just leach money off someone else by letting them believe you are helping them.
These are my interpretations of the word. There's probably a better dictionary version.
TM
SEEMEFIRST
8/5/2022 7:31am
sende wrote:
I'm from Finland but still, I was today years old when I found out that refrigerator doesn't have the letter d in it. I could have...
I'm from Finland but still, I was today years old when I found out that refrigerator doesn't have the letter d in it. I could have bet a 100 that it is refridgerator. Laughing

Don't feel bad, I have seen it often.

Maybe because of the word "ridge" which means things like the top edge of a house or a hill.
Elliot
8/5/2022 9:12am
Elliot wrote:
Not a grammar question as such but what does 'grift' mean in the US? I've heard it a few times recently but not fully understood its...

Usually used to mean something like a con, scam, or cheat.
Thanks that's kinda what I thought but wasn't sure.

Do you you the word 'graft' in the US to describe hard work?

The Shop

SEEMEFIRST
8/5/2022 9:17am
Elliot wrote:

Elliot wrote:

I've only heard it in terms of botanical or medical procedures.
MotoTribology
Fantasy
296th
8/5/2022 10:15am
Elliot wrote:

Elliot wrote:

I've never heard 'graft' used in that context, no.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
8/5/2022 8:40pm
Elliot wrote:

Webster's dictionary says:
to obtain (money or property) illicitly (as in a confidence game)

A grifter is a scammer or charlatan.
Elliot
8/6/2022 12:23am
Elliot wrote:

SEEMEFIRST wrote:
I've only heard it in terms of botanical or medical procedures.
It's weird but just goes to show why on most devices you have the choice of what version of English you want, United Kingdom or American.
captmoto
8/12/2022 10:26am Edited Date/Time 8/12/2022 10:27am
sende wrote:

Yet when shortened in the English language, it has a d. "The beer is the fridge".
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
10/21/2022 12:05pm
Desiccate vs. dissect:

To desiccate something is to dry it up or preserve by drying. You've seen those little bags in your beef jerky which read "do not eat?" Those are desiccants. They keep moisture out of the bag.

To dissect Is to cut something into pieces, usually for the purposes of inspection.
A related verb is bisect, which means to cut into two pieces.

APLMAN99
10/23/2022 9:47am
Here’s a great example of how poor grammar completely changes the (presumed) intent of a speaker or writer.

Falcon
Fantasy
856th
10/26/2022 10:41am
"Overdue" vs. "overdo"

Overdue is when something is late. You might be overdue on a library book or a water bill.

Overdo is sort of a slang conjunction of "over-do," which means to do too much of something. You might overdo it when drinking or working out.

Cool
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
11/27/2022 2:10pm
Falcon wrote:
Desiccate vs. dissect: To [i]desiccate[/i] something is to dry it up or preserve by drying. You've seen those little bags in your beef jerky which read...
Desiccate vs. dissect:

To desiccate something is to dry it up or preserve by drying. You've seen those little bags in your beef jerky which read "do not eat?" Those are desiccants. They keep moisture out of the bag.

To dissect Is to cut something into pieces, usually for the purposes of inspection.

Dissect , to take apart in pieces
bisect, to separate into 2 pieces (usually in equal pieces, well in math equal pieces anyway)
neither require cutting.
TM
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
11/27/2022 6:09pm
Falcon wrote:
Desiccate vs. dissect: To [i]desiccate[/i] something is to dry it up or preserve by drying. You've seen those little bags in your beef jerky which read...
Desiccate vs. dissect:

ToolMaker wrote:
Dissect , to take apart in pieces bisect, to separate into 2 pieces (usually in equal pieces, well in math equal pieces anyway) neither require cutting...
bisect, to separate into 2 pieces (usually in equal pieces, well in math equal pieces anyway)
neither require cutting.
TM
Right you are! I got hung up on the methodology of dissection in biology class. Technically, we're talking about "removing sections" or dividing into two sections; cutting is not the only way to do that. Good catch.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
11/27/2022 7:12pm
Falcon wrote:
Desiccate vs. dissect:

ToolMaker wrote:
Dissect , to take apart in pieces bisect, to separate into 2 pieces (usually in equal pieces, well in math equal pieces anyway) neither require cutting...
neither require cutting.
TM
Falcon wrote:
Right you are! I got hung up on the methodology of dissection in biology class. Technically, we're talking about "removing sections" or dividing into two sections...
Right you are! I got hung up on the methodology of dissection in biology class. Technically, we're talking about "removing sections" or dividing into two sections; cutting is not the only way to do that. Good catch.
BTW, fun thread
TM
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2562nd
11/27/2022 7:45pm
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

That is a grammatically correct sentence.

Have a nice evening.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
11/28/2022 12:01pm

Have a nice evening.
You're going to have to explain that one.
SEEMEFIRST
11/28/2022 1:26pm

Have a nice evening.
Falcon wrote:
You're going to have to explain that one.
Yeah, what he said....
SEEMEFIRST
11/28/2022 1:41pm
Oh...
Buffalo buffalo (bison from Buffalo NY) [that] Buffalo buffalo buffalo (that the bison from Buffalo NY bully) buffalo Buffalo buffalo (are bullying bison from Buffalo NY).
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
11/28/2022 2:11pm
Is "buffalo" a verb meaning, "to annoy or bully?"
That one's going to need some more explaining. Maybe with different words to illustrate.
SEEMEFIRST
11/28/2022 8:35pm
Falcon wrote:
That one's going to need some more explaining. Maybe with different words to illustrate.
Yes, to "bullalo" can mean bully or coerce.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
11/29/2022 10:13am
Falcon wrote:
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
Yes, to "bullalo" can mean bully or coerce.

So, Buffalo buffaloes bother other Buffalo buffaloes...? I can still only make it make sense with "buffalo" repeated 5 times. 

plowboy
11/30/2022 9:49am
Falcon wrote:

So, Buffalo buffaloes bother other Buffalo buffaloes...? I can still only make it make sense with "buffalo" repeated 5 times. 

Many years ago while stationed at Mtn. Home AFB, ID...we had an F-111 that had an un-commanded roll problem.  The amount of roll couldn't be corrected with trim.  Consequently, this aircraft spent it's life as a "cann bird" (parts removed and installed on other aircraft to keep the fleet flying).  Regs required that every cann bird be flown every 30 days.  So once a month this plane had to be reassembled and launched for at least one flight.

This meant a couple of 18+ hour days.  We were finishing up one of those shifts.  On headsets, with hot mikes, we were all tired and goofy trying to finish ops checks.

Someone said, "This fucker is fucked.". This led to a discussion about the word and how many times it could be used in a grammatically correct sentence.

"This fucking, fucked-up fucker is fucked".

Did we get it right?

P.S.  They finally brought in an engineer from depot that determined the fuselage was twisted.  Bone yard.

Falcon
Fantasy
856th
11/30/2022 3:17pm

^Plowboy, that's funny. 

Pardon my language, but a friend of mine once quoted an old boss of his, who when chiding his employees for making mistakes used to say, "What the fuck are you fucking fucks fucking fucking up now?" 

Laughing

plowboy
11/30/2022 3:25pm
Falcon wrote:
^Plowboy, that's funny.  Pardon my language, but a friend of mine once quoted an old boss of his, who when chiding his employees for making mistakes...

^Plowboy, that's funny. 

Pardon my language, but a friend of mine once quoted an old boss of his, who when chiding his employees for making mistakes used to say, "What the fuck are you fucking fucks fucking fucking up now?" 

Laughing

No need to apologize to me for language.  I'm vulgar...I know it.  I do believe that most of my fellow Vitards are of similar ilk.  I'm not shocking anyone in the room.  Please...don't let yer kids read this forum.

ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
11/30/2022 9:10pm
Falcon wrote:

plowboy wrote:
Many years ago while stationed at Mtn. Home AFB, ID...we had an F-111 that had an un-commanded roll problem.  The amount of roll couldn't be corrected...

Many years ago while stationed at Mtn. Home AFB, ID...we had an F-111 that had an un-commanded roll problem.  The amount of roll couldn't be corrected with trim.  Consequently, this aircraft spent it's life as a "cann bird" (parts removed and installed on other aircraft to keep the fleet flying).  Regs required that every cann bird be flown every 30 days.  So once a month this plane had to be reassembled and launched for at least one flight.

This meant a couple of 18+ hour days.  We were finishing up one of those shifts.  On headsets, with hot mikes, we were all tired and goofy trying to finish ops checks.

Someone said, "This fucker is fucked.". This led to a discussion about the word and how many times it could be used in a grammatically correct sentence.

"This fucking, fucked-up fucker is fucked".

Did we get it right?

P.S.  They finally brought in an engineer from depot that determined the fuselage was twisted.  Bone yard.

My brother in law was an F-111 pilot in Mnt. Home. He's much older than me. I went to visit when I about 13 years old (almost 50 years ago). Got to fly the simulator on base. Pretty cool! I rode a Trailways bus from Anaheim, CA to Mnt. Home by myself. Couldn't let your kids do that these days.

TM

Elliot
12/7/2022 8:06am

I was having a conversation with my bro about this while passing the time on long flight.

The word 'quite' seems to have a different meaning depending on whether an emphasis is used on it or the word it's in reference to.

So if I say ''it's quite good'' it's not that good, but if I say ''it's quite good'', it's pretty good.

What's the deal Falcon?

Falcon
Fantasy
856th
12/9/2022 7:05am
Elliot wrote:
I was having a conversation with my bro about this while passing the time on long flight. The word 'quite' seems to have a different meaning...

I was having a conversation with my bro about this while passing the time on long flight.

The word 'quite' seems to have a different meaning depending on whether an emphasis is used on it or the word it's in reference to.

So if I say ''it's quite good'' it's not that good, but if I say ''it's quite good'', it's pretty good.

What's the deal Falcon?

Your emphasis only changes the meaning of the entire sentence based on sarcasm. The meaning of the word is the same, but you are telling the listener via your tone that you don't really believe what you are saying to be true. In this case, "quite" can be replaced with "very" or "really," and that meaning does not change - only the intended message via your overall tone. 

Falcon
Fantasy
856th
12/9/2022 7:09am

Here's a Christmastime Grammar with Falcon post:

Reins vs. reigns-

Reins are the leather straps which are connected to a bit in a reindeer's mouth to keep it under control. Also used in horseback riding. Colloquially, you could also "rein something in" to get it better under control. 

Reigns as a noun are the individual tenures of kings on the throne. "All the kings from that era had short reigns due to violence and infighting."
As a verb, the king reigns. "Long may he reign." 

Post a reply to: Grammar with Falcon

The Latest