Grammar with Falcon

Falcon
Fantasy
856th
8/11/2020 2:22pm
G-man wrote:
Falcon I don't have time to read this whole thread I'm at work but 99.9% of my posts or replies I talk into the phone and...
Falcon I don't have time to read this whole thread I'm at work but 99.9% of my posts or replies I talk into the phone and get a lot of grammar and punctuation errors sometimes I try to fix sometimes not it can be a pain in the ass and time consuming hope you understand. And don't think I'm a complete freaking idiot!
Cheers Cheerful
Haha, nope! I can relate. I seriously cannot get my phone to accurately type what I want it to, so I completely understand.

Also, I don't look down on anyone who wasn't taught all the proper grammar - just sending out pointers for those who wish to improve. It only makes me frustrated when I see journalists make grammatical mistakes. They are supposed to know better.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
9/2/2020 8:42am
So I was listening to the radio this morning and a song by The Killers came on. Brandon sang, "You can dip your feet every once and a little while."

Oh no.

This isn't so much a grammatical error as it is a misunderstanding of what he's saying. Here's why:
a while is a stretch of time (usually longer, rather than shorter). If you do something only once in that span of time, it means that it is a rare event. Therefore, the term is, "Every once in a while." (Some people must confuse the sound made by that spoken phrase as being "once 'n' a while.")

I love that song, but I have to sign over that part with the right word or I go nuts. GrinningGrinningGrinning
9/2/2020 10:53am Edited Date/Time 9/2/2020 10:55am
That's kinda funny because I just learned the same thing about "maths" yesterday too, but from the novel "Americanah", where she talks about some distinctions between American and Rest of the World English.

I never thought it was because of ignorance, but just slang, but now I realize it does make perfect sense when you consider it is short for mathematics.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
9/2/2020 1:52pm
I call it "math," because I only ever used to do one problem of my homework before I gave up. LaughingLaughingGrinning

The Shop

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
10/17/2020 1:48pm
Advice and advise.

Came up in a moto-related thread title. He got it wrong.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
10/17/2020 8:03pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Advice and advise.

Came up in a moto-related thread title. He got it wrong.
Same root word. Advise is a verb, advice a noun. Advice is the thing you give to someone when advising.
"I would advise you to hit that jump in 3rd."
"He gave you good advice; I always jump that jump in 3rd gear, too."
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
10/29/2020 10:42am
Allude vs. Elude:

Allusion is the act of hinting or making reference to something. If you are beating around the bush, someone might ask, "What are you alluding to?"

Elusion is the act of avoiding a pursuit or pursuers. If you steal a car and get away clean, you have eluded detection. If you outdrive the cops, who tried to chase you down, you have eluded the cops.
SEEMEFIRST
10/29/2020 7:40pm
You are doing a great service, Falcon, but you are going way deeper than need be.

I think we need a loop of the first dozen or so, and see if it's working.
SEEMEFIRST
10/29/2020 7:47pm
That one did make me think of working with bulls.
Not really grammar, but differences in meanings.

Trying to vaccinate a bull... Alright, "Dammit".
Try again.... OK boy, let's go boy "goddammit"!
Alright, get your ass in here... "ohfuckingshitgoddammit".

Sell that sumbitch.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
10/30/2020 8:37am
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
You are doing a great service, Falcon, but you are going way deeper than need be. I think we need a loop of the first dozen...
You are doing a great service, Falcon, but you are going way deeper than need be.

I think we need a loop of the first dozen or so, and see if it's working.
As fast as I educate you guys, some new crop of peeps comes along and needs more edumacation. Grinning
Mucktub
10/30/2020 8:39am
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
That one did make me think of working with bulls. Not really grammar, but differences in meanings. Trying to vaccinate a bull... Alright, "Dammit". Try again...

Sell that sumbitch.
I have read through this post several times and I have absolutely no idea what the fuck you're talking about.
SEEMEFIRST
11/1/2020 1:29pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
That one did make me think of working with bulls. Not really grammar, but differences in meanings. Trying to vaccinate a bull... Alright, "Dammit". Try again...

Sell that sumbitch.
Mucktub wrote:
I have read through this post several times and I have absolutely no idea what the fuck you're talking about.
Go try to get a mad bull to do what you want.

It'll become crystal clear.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
11/4/2020 2:09pm
HAHA! Check out the new avatar.
11/4/2020 8:29pm Edited Date/Time 11/4/2020 8:29pm
Not sure if it's a grammar thing or not but I've noticed that Americans use the word 'data' in the plural, as opposed to the UK where it's singular.

So Americans will say ''the data are in'' whereas as Brits would say ''the data is in''.

What's the deal?
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
11/5/2020 8:34am
Not sure if it's a grammar thing or not but I've noticed that Americans use the word 'data' in the plural, as opposed to the UK...
Not sure if it's a grammar thing or not but I've noticed that Americans use the word 'data' in the plural, as opposed to the UK where it's singular.

So Americans will say ''the data are in'' whereas as Brits would say ''the data is in''.

What's the deal?
A singular piece of data is a datum. Data is plural, technically, although you can consider the entire set of data as one thing, much like you would call a glass of water singular, even though it it made up of sextillions of water molecules. That's probably the difference; whether you consider a collection of things as the subject of your conversation or the individuals who comprise it. (As an aside, I say "The data is in." I've never heard "the data are in.")

I've noticed the opposite thing about companies. UK people usually say "Yamaha are releasing a new bike," meaning "all the people who work together as Yamaha." In the US we would say "Yamaha is releasing a new bike, because we consider Yamaha an entity of its own.
SEEMEFIRST
11/5/2020 10:34am
Not sure if it's a grammar thing or not but I've noticed that Americans use the word 'data' in the plural, as opposed to the UK...

What's the deal?
Falcon wrote:
A singular piece of data is a datum. Data is plural, technically, although you can consider the entire set of data as one thing, much like...
A singular piece of data is a datum. Data is plural, technically, although you can consider the entire set of data as one thing, much like you would call a glass of water singular, even though it it made up of sextillions of water molecules. That's probably the difference; whether you consider a collection of things as the subject of your conversation or the individuals who comprise it. (As an aside, I say "The data is in." I've never heard "the data are in.")

I've noticed the opposite thing about companies. UK people usually say "Yamaha are releasing a new bike," meaning "all the people who work together as Yamaha." In the US we would say "Yamaha is releasing a new bike, because we consider Yamaha an entity of its own.
What first came to my mind.

Or in hospital VS. in the hospital....
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
11/5/2020 2:36pm

What's the deal?
Falcon wrote:
A singular piece of data is a datum. Data is plural, technically, although you can consider the entire set of data as one thing, much like...

SEEMEFIRST wrote:

"At University" vs. "In College."
11/5/2020 10:00pm

What's the deal?
Falcon wrote:

I've heard the expression "the data are in'' quite a few times on US news programs recently which is why I brought it up.
It just doesn't sound right to me.

Yes good point about Yamaha but both ways of saying it sound ok to me at least.
11/5/2020 10:02pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:

Yeah that's another Americanism, referring to someone going to ''the'' hospital as if there is only one!
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
11/11/2020 4:20pm
36th Annual Dubya World Vet Championship: Mud Edition

"Mike Alessi and Mike Brown attended the race among many other's despite the cold winter weather."

Oh dear. Grinning
It should be others. More than one other. No apostrophe needed. Remember from the second post in this thread that you never, ever, ever, add an apostrophe to make anything plural. Like, ever.

Love you guys, keep up the good work. Cool
Chance1216
11/11/2020 6:24pm
I got one. Someone tried correcting me when I said, you spelt idiotic wrong in moto related. If I’m not mistaken, spelt can be used in a past tense reference, as can the word spelled correct?
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
11/11/2020 6:30pm
Chance1216 wrote:
I got one. Someone tried correcting me when I said, you spelt idiotic wrong in moto related. If I’m not mistaken, spelt can be used in...
I got one. Someone tried correcting me when I said, you spelt idiotic wrong in moto related. If I’m not mistaken, spelt can be used in a past tense reference, as can the word spelled correct?
Same thing. No different than:

Favor and Favour
Color and Colour

Just depends what part of the world you live in.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
11/12/2020 8:21am
^ Don't ever say "smelt" when you mean "smelled," however! Laughing
Smelting is the process of mixing two or more molten metals together to create an alloy.
Chance1216
11/12/2020 9:44am
Falcon wrote:
^ Don't ever say "smelt" when you mean "smelled," however! :laugh: [i]Smelting[/i] is the process of mixing two or more molten metals together to create an...
Smelting is the process of mixing two or more molten metals together to create an alloy.
Smelt is also a fish. Smelting in the PNW, also means fishing for smelt.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
11/13/2020 1:17pm
Falcon wrote:
^ Don't ever say "smelt" when you mean "smelled," however! :laugh: [i]Smelting[/i] is the process of mixing two or more molten metals together to create an...
Chance1216 wrote:
Smelt is also a fish. Smelting in the PNW, also means fishing for smelt.
I try to learn something new every day. Thanks, now I can take the rest of the day off!

Post a reply to: Grammar with Falcon

The Latest