Grammar with Falcon

SEEMEFIRST
1/6/2020 10:44pm
Falcon rules, no doubt.

You might have a party trying to delve into the word "fixin".
Southern primarily.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
1/7/2020 9:11am Edited Date/Time 1/7/2020 9:11am
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
Falcon rules, no doubt.

Southern primarily.
"Fixin' " (or fixing,) is slang, so technically rules of grammar do not apply to it. (It is always incorrect when used as slang.)

Functionally, it means "preparing" in the context I believe you are using.
"I'm fixin' to kick your ass!"

You could use "fixing" as an intransitive verb for repairing something.
"I am fixing my YZ250 right now."
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
1/14/2020 10:42am
Steal vs. Steel-

OK, there's a good enough lesson here that I'll actually throw it into the thread.

Steal is a verb which means to take what is not yours.

Steel is an alloy made of iron and another or some other metal(s). Curiously enough, you can also use the word as a verb which means "to make strong," as in the example below:
"He steeled his resolve and leapt from the harrowing precipice."
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
1/14/2020 11:22am
Exited and Excited.

I'm not sure how one would confuse the two, but I've seen it more than once on here.

The Shop

Falcon
Fantasy
798th
1/14/2020 1:41pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Exited and Excited.

I'm not sure how one would confuse the two, but I've seen it more than once on here.
That one is probably a typo. I mean, everyone knows the difference, right?
RIGHT???? ShockedShocked
Exit: to leave.
Excite: to cause excitement or to agitate.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
2/13/2020 2:06pm
*Ahem

Over the weekend in San Diego, we grabbed two Honda's to compare and contrast. We've already looked at Ken Roczen's Honda HRC CRF450R in this Factory Ride Video here if you want a more detailed break down. Here, we can see how the Smartop/Bullfrog Spas/Motoconcepts bike of Vince Friese compares to the factory effort. At the bottom of the story, there is a poll for you to vote on which bike you like better. This is about the machinery, not the racer. [sic]

*Hondas. Wink
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
5/22/2020 2:07pm
Oh man, I can't believe I missed this one: Manufacture.

Manufacture is a verb, meaning to make something. It originally meant "to make something by hand," I would bet - hence the "Manu" part at the beginning of the word (manual, manos, manipulate, etc.)

A Manufacturer is someone who manufactures something. Therefore, KTM, Yamaha, Suzuki, Ducati, etc., are all manufacturers.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
5/22/2020 2:28pm
Falcon wrote:
Oh man, I can't believe I missed this one: [i]Manufacture.[/i] [i]Manufacture[/i] is a verb, meaning to make something. It originally meant "to make something by hand,"...

Manufacture is a verb, meaning to make something. It originally meant "to make something by hand," I would bet - hence the "Manu" part at the beginning of the word (manual, manos, manipulate, etc.)

A Manufacturer is someone who manufactures something. Therefore, KTM, Yamaha, Suzuki, Ducati, etc., are all manufacturers.
LOL. Go back a page...

Guessing you saw it in moto-related?
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
5/24/2020 11:15am
Falcon wrote:
Oh man, I can't believe I missed this one: [i]Manufacture.[/i] [i]Manufacture[/i] is a verb, meaning to make something. It originally meant "to make something by hand,"...

-MAVERICK- wrote:
LOL. Go back a page...

Guessing you saw it in moto-related?
D'oh! I was only looking at my own posts.

Yeah, I think I saw "manufacture" when someone was talking about an OEM over in the moto forum.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
7/16/2020 9:12am
"Peek" vs. "Peak."

I saw a few errors in Klinger's article on the Suzuki bolt torque settings today (https://www.vitalmx.com/features/Tech-Tip-Make-Your-RM-Z-Handle-Better-…, for reference). "Peek" vs. "Peak" is one that jumped out. Here is the difference:

Peek means to look at something quickly or sneakily. "I knew there was something I shouldn't see but I couldn't help but take a peek."

a Peak refers to the tip of a mountain, or by analogy, the highest point of something, i.e., "the peak of Mt. Everest," or At his peak, MC was unbeatable."
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
7/16/2020 9:20am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
^^^ Don't forget pique.
Of course! How could I have left that one out??

Pique is to excite or arouse suspicion or interest. "The free shipping offer piqued his attention."
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
7/16/2020 11:07am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
^^^ Don't forget pique.
Falcon wrote:

Pique is to excite or arouse suspicion or interest. "The free shipping offer piqued his attention."
I don't know how many times I've seen someone write "peaked my interest or peeked my interest".
Chance1216
7/16/2020 11:13am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
^^^ Don't forget pique.
Falcon wrote:

-MAVERICK- wrote:
I don't know how many times I've seen someone write "peaked my interest or peeked my interest".
What about God dammit?😉
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
7/16/2020 11:22am
Falcon wrote:

-MAVERICK- wrote:
Chance1216 wrote:
What about God dammit?😉
Any blasphemy aside, that's just a simple misspelling. Wink
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
7/17/2020 10:51am
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
Falcon rules, no doubt.

Southern primarily.
Falcon wrote:
"Fixin' " (or fixing,) is slang, so technically rules of grammar do not apply to it. (It is always incorrect when used as slang.) Functionally, it...
"Fixin' " (or fixing,) is slang, so technically rules of grammar do not apply to it. (It is always incorrect when used as slang.)

Functionally, it means "preparing" in the context I believe you are using.
"I'm fixin' to kick your ass!"

You could use "fixing" as an intransitive verb for repairing something.
"I am fixing my YZ250 right now."
I left out another definition for "Fixin."

Fixings or fixin's are the items you would use to garnish a hamburger, chili, baked potato, or other base food. (A twice-baked potato with all the fixin's.)

*Note that the apostrophe is to indicate a missing letter, not a pluralization of fixing.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
7/22/2020 2:53am
Was going through the For Sale section and H4L wrote:

Yes. You must be married.. Sharing half the garage to keep the piece..

Piece and Peace.
7/22/2020 5:18am
I don't know if it's the way most Americans say it but it really ticks me off when I hear Ricky Carmichael say ''he's riding aggressive'' when it should be ''aggressively''.
7/22/2020 7:23am
-MAVERICK- wrote:

Piece and Peace.
*piece of ass
:-)
7/22/2020 7:46am
-MAVERICK- wrote:

Piece and Peace.
Looks fine to me. They can either share the garage and keep the piece of it they have, or not share it and have to give the whole garage up to the spouse. Laughing
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
7/22/2020 8:49am
-MAVERICK- wrote:

Piece and Peace.
Looks fine to me. They can either share the garage and keep the piece of it they have, or not share it and have to give...
Looks fine to me. They can either share the garage and keep the piece of it they have, or not share it and have to give the whole garage up to the spouse. Laughing
It could be he gave up half his garage space in barter for the permission to keep a firearm. Smile
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
7/22/2020 8:55am
I don't know if it's the way most Americans say it but it really ticks me off when I hear Ricky Carmichael say ''he's riding aggressive''...
I don't know if it's the way most Americans say it but it really ticks me off when I hear Ricky Carmichael say ''he's riding aggressive'' when it should be ''aggressively''.
Excellent call! Adverbs and adjectives matter.

Adjective: a word that modifies a noun.
In other words, it is a descriptive word which changes the meaning of a person, place or thing that you are describing. So, instead of simply, "mountains," you get, "tall, cold, foreboding mountains."

Adverb: a word that modifies a verb.
In other words, it is a word which changes the meaning of an action. Adverbs most often end in -ly. So, instead of "riding," you get, "riding aggressively, ridiculously fast or with utter abandon."
dadofagun
Fantasy
1962nd
7/22/2020 9:07am
My Grandma would love this thread. She was a retired teacher of 44 years, held a Masters in English. Her speech was ALWAYS proper, and as a kid growing up, would constantly correct me on my speech. I was a young Moto kid, long hair, running around in Vans, shorts, no shirt, on a high end BMX bike. So, you can probably guess as to how often she was correcting me. As I become a young teen, it become fun to say something wrong just to get a rise out her. Her fav pastime was to diagram a sentence ( remember that dull shit??? ), and I just could not wrap my head around that at all. I remember when I was around 16, I told her I was bilingual. Shocked, she asked what they were. I answered, " English, and Profanity..." She was not amused. God I miss her, she was soooo much fun, all being so proper.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
7/22/2020 10:49am
dadofagun wrote:
My Grandma would love this thread. She was a retired teacher of 44 years, held a Masters in English. Her speech was ALWAYS proper, and as...
My Grandma would love this thread. She was a retired teacher of 44 years, held a Masters in English. Her speech was ALWAYS proper, and as a kid growing up, would constantly correct me on my speech. I was a young Moto kid, long hair, running around in Vans, shorts, no shirt, on a high end BMX bike. So, you can probably guess as to how often she was correcting me. As I become a young teen, it become fun to say something wrong just to get a rise out her. Her fav pastime was to diagram a sentence ( remember that dull shit??? ), and I just could not wrap my head around that at all. I remember when I was around 16, I told her I was bilingual. Shocked, she asked what they were. I answered, " English, and Profanity..." She was not amused. God I miss her, she was soooo much fun, all being so proper.
* became x2 Tongue
dadofagun
Fantasy
1962nd
7/22/2020 11:33am
dadofagun wrote:
My Grandma would love this thread. She was a retired teacher of 44 years, held a Masters in English. Her speech was ALWAYS proper, and as...
-MAVERICK- wrote:
* became x2 Tongue
See what I mean??!!? It's obvious I didn't listen like I was supposed to!
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
7/23/2020 8:49am
dadofagun wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:
* became x2 Tongue
dadofagun wrote:
See what I mean??!!? It's obvious I didn't listen like I was supposed to!
Props on the proper use of "it's," though. Wink
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
8/9/2020 2:48pm
I was reading something and the person wrote faith instead of fate.

Faith vs. Fate.
SEEMEFIRST
8/9/2020 6:00pm Edited Date/Time 8/9/2020 6:02pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:

Faith vs. Fate.
A fateful day generally sucks, and a faithful day usually doesn't.

You know, with all intensive purposes. Wink
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
8/10/2020 2:14pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:

Faith vs. Fate.
Simple: Faith is the thing you have belief in, regardless of proof. Usually spiritual in nature, though not always so. You can have faith that someone will deliver when you need it, or you can perform a duty in good faith, indicating you believe you will be justly rewarded for your efforts.

Fate is akin to destiny. It is an event that "was bound to happen," or "meant to be." It often describes someone's demise, as in, He met his fate.
Fun fact, the term "fate" comes from the Greek demi-gods, The Fates, who were scribes, writing the history of Man. Whatever they wrote was said to come to pass. Tempting the Fates, or tempting fate refers to doing something that would attract the attention of one or more of the Fates, thereby making her write about you. (Greeks hoped they would go unnoticed and live out their lives.)
G-man
8/11/2020 1:54pm
Falcon I don't have time to read this whole thread I'm at work but 99.9% of my posts or replies I talk into the phone and get a lot of grammar and punctuation errors sometimes I try to fix sometimes not it can be a pain in the ass and time consuming hope you understand. And don't think I'm a complete freaking idiot!
Cheers Cheerful

Post a reply to: Grammar with Falcon

The Latest