Good old fashioned censorship

Related:
Create New Tag

9/23/2018 5:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/23/2018 5:59 PM

Well, maybe not exactly. Google/youtube are private companies, so I guess they can do whatever they want.

However, my eyebrows raise when I see things like this:
Photo

Photo

An "information" box telling me the "official" story about what happened? All top search results are relatively low view count videos from sources like CBS, etc? But I thought these were just wacky conspiracy theories? If the truth is already known, why do we need to have it shoved in our face like this?

Ok, Im definitely crazy here. Let me search for another well known conspiracy and im sure it too will have the same search results.

Photo

Oof... So the well known flat earth conspiracy doesnt yield similar results, how could this be? Surely the powers that be would shoot down this widely believed nonsense, right?

Well... No... Because they dont care if you think the earth is flat. Everyone with a iq higher than 15 knows the earth is round. Sooo whats up with the other "wacky conspiracy theories???"

Surely thinking the moon landing is fake and that the CIA killed Kennedy is just a bunch of nonsense, so why the need to re-educate everyone? If the "truth" is actually the truth, what gives?

I submit this for consideration, so that whomever reads this analyzes the information that is presented before simply accepting what is told to you is fact. After all, isnt logical skepticism one of the things that separates us from animals?

You can now commence with the vitriolic name calling to protect your psyches from objective reality ?

Its ok, my feelings wont get hurt. After all, Im a big stupid doo doo head!

|

9/23/2018 8:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/23/2018 9:31 PM

How about we not do this all over again? Just add to the thread already talking about this. You'll fit right in with the other guy who got all his facts from YouTube.

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Non-Moto,21/Moon-Landings,1345940

EDIT: A quick look shows the "other guy" and you are the same person. Pretty desperate to distance yourself from the original thread I see. This is what annoys me about people like yourself. You have no interest in actually debating the topic. You have an agenda to spew out your side in the most condescending way possible and disappear into the distance. Your "facts" as shown in the other thread are entirely hear-say and based on little to no actual research. You're not interested in actually listening or learning anything, you just want to push your side. So excuse me if I have trouble taking you as anything more than a troll.

|

9/24/2018 2:10 AM

Sorry but i tried to put out some factual arguments in that thread but as you can see, they were met with various memes and name calling (of how I am an idiot, of course).

And surely enough, it didnt take long for me to be called a moron again ?

My facts dont come from youtube. I mentioned that my interest in the subject was simply turned on by one of those dumb conspiracy videos on youtube. If you read the post without immediately resorting to name calling you would have seen that.

Im not trying to be condescending. Almost every reply in that thread was about how stupid I am, so why am I going to try to respond to that? Your minds are already made up on the subject. Im an idiot, youre right and Im wrong.

|

9/24/2018 2:21 AM

The first 2 subjects were events. “Flat earth” isn’t an event. There’s the obvious difference.

|

9/24/2018 6:06 AM

Thanks to the repeal of net neutrality there are no laws that say conspiracy theories and official stories have a right to share the same space on the internet. Disinformation is alive and well.

|

9/24/2018 7:27 AM

I just find it odd that we so often give over the ownership of "the real truth" to the ones that have often been caught with their hands in the cookie jar so to speak.

Why is their so much hostility towards those who are skeptical of others (government, media, ect.) who have undeniably lied to the masses on numerous occasions?

|

9/24/2018 8:29 AM

hard2kill wrote:

I just find it odd that we so often give over the ownership of "the real truth" to the ones that have often been caught with ...more

Because evidence. Also, because of science and credible sources. Rednecks with distubingly low critical thinking and pattern-seeking minds aren’t credible sources, nor are they critical thinkers in the right sense of the word.

It is my understanding that there is plenty of room to discuss controversies. But there is no room to discuss controversies where there aren’t any smile

|

9/24/2018 9:01 AM

Photo
|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

9/24/2018 9:17 AM

Sunhouse wrote:

Because evidence. Also, because of science and credible sources. Rednecks with distubingly low critical thinking and ...more

I assume youre talking about me. I know Im not the best writer who has ever lived but I am pretty sure I have better grammar and sentence structure than the average person. Also, I have a bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering, which tends to require some critical thinking skills to obtain ?

How can you say there is no controversy when its such a widely debated topic? Let me stop right here to say not all theories deserve their share of investigation (such as the dumb flat earth theory), but when a theory has a faily large amount of evidence, simply ignoring it is, in my opinion, unjust to the original ethos of the United States, at the same time supressing one of the abilities that separates man from animals- critical thinking.

Youtube themselves are admitting they are manipulating search results. They admit they are placing information windows on certain videos to enforce the official narrative of the videos content. Why would a for profit company do this? Wouldnt they want to simply allow users to see whatever videos are popular at the moment? Why would they care what stupid nonsense Im filling my brain with? They care because they are on **some level** controlled by government organizations, and to keep the public from getting together and sharing information, they control the content that is allowed to be viewed.

Now I know youtube is a private company and can do as they please, but its so obvious to me that there is something else at play and its not as benign as making sure we read the Wikipedia article first.

|

9/24/2018 9:26 AM

rmoto003 wrote:

I assume youre talking about me. I know Im not the best writer who has ever lived but I am pretty sure I have better grammar ...more

I think it's more of a response to the Facebook election debacle where a lack of curation opens the door for widespread outside manipulation. Of course there can also be inside manipulation but there are also people and companies with their names on it that can be held responsible more than a random account created for all intents and purposes anonamously.

|

9/24/2018 9:49 AM

hard2kill wrote:

I just find it odd that we so often give over the ownership of "the real truth" to the ones that have often been caught with ...more

Sunhouse wrote:

Because evidence. Also, because of science and credible sources. Rednecks with distubingly low critical thinking and ...more

rmoto003 wrote:

I assume youre talking about me. I know Im not the best writer who has ever lived but I am pretty sure I have better grammar ...more

Both Facebook and Google have been caught red handed manipulating searche's and so forth. You are correct on that. It's no different then spinning a story from 90% of the main stream media.

Short story : I went down to check out one of the protestor's march / riot in down town Portland about 6 - 8 weeks ago. Was there for about a 1/2 day before I got tired of just watching people scream back and forth at each other. As I was leaving , and about a 1/4 mile from the event , I started hearing flash bang's go off and shit starting to break loose. What had happened there , and what our " local news " reported........complete and utter bullshit and lies. 100's of hour's of video from that event from people right on the front lines , their video's show you exactly what was happening. But the news channel's? Complete 180 spin on which side of the fence started all the shit. Made the trouble maker's look like innocent victim's.

The local news station's have youtube channel's.......and local's here ( including myself ) went after them hard on those channel's. So much that they pulled a couple of the news report's because of the amount of backlash they were getting on their video's. They were complete fabrication , and what proved all this? People actually being there filming it.

On the JFK thing.......seriously , I have no idea who was all involved in that. I don't think there are more than a handful of people who actually do. Conspiracy or not....we may never know , but that is when a person has to use his own judgement. But I will say this again........( from my story above ) don't believe what a lot of the main stream media tell's you. Most are guided by a certain political stance , which will spin thing's to fit their narrative.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

9/24/2018 9:56 AM

|

I can do anything, I'm an expert.
MotoTribology.com - Motorcycle Lubrication Education

9/24/2018 10:04 AM

OP, what am I missing in the moon landing screenshot that points to censorship?

|

9/24/2018 10:10 AM

early wrote:

OP, what am I missing in the moon landing screenshot that points to censorship?

You forgot to put your crazy glasses on before looking at it. Here you can borrow mine.

Photo

|

I can do anything, I'm an expert.
MotoTribology.com - Motorcycle Lubrication Education

9/24/2018 10:15 AM

early wrote:

OP, what am I missing in the moon landing screenshot that points to censorship?

No idea. Whatever this is I don't see it....

|

HAF

9/24/2018 10:38 AM

Oof, got me with a zinger there huh!

Im pointing out the fact that youtube places an "information" window on certain videos to push the "official" version of the story. They also manipulate the search results so that instead of finding the videos with higher view counts or more comments, you get only the videos they want you to see, which are made by the approved people.

Im also citing the fact that they dont seem to need to do this on videos in which debate silly topics, but nonetheless are widely known and becoming more prevalent (flat earth).

The connection im making is that the ***government*** doesnt care if you belive the earth is flat, but they DO care if you think the CIA killed Kennedy, or that the moon landings were faked. Therefore, they take the time to shove their version of the story into your face, so you arent distracted by those silly little things called thoughts/questions/ideas/etc.

Just sit down on your couch, take your perscription pills, eat your tv dinner, and dont worry about anything smile

|

9/24/2018 10:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/24/2018 10:42 AM

I'm having trouble figuring out what your point is. You are saying that Youtube's allowance of the conspiracy videos to remain up indicates that Youtube supports some of the arguments behind the conspiracy theories, while they don't do so for the Flat Earth stuff because there is no truth to it? [Edit- I see your above post now and get your point]

The JFK story is the ultimate conspiracy theory, in fact it's why the CIA came up with the term "conspiracy theorist" as a derogatory label for anybody asking questions that mainstream government/corporate/media elite don't like. It's an utterly bullshit label.
You can start with JFK to educate yourself as to the extreme lengths the US government will go to create a fake reality (the Zapruder film was altered). They have been extremely successful with it since WWII, and the vast majority of Americans operate under a complete illusion as to the real intentions and activities of it's shadow government. Deception is the CIA's number one job, and they are very, very good at it.

|

It's impossible for a corporation or government to love you or care about you.

9/24/2018 10:45 AM

rmoto003 wrote:

Oof, got me with a zinger there huh!

Im pointing out the fact that youtube places an "information" window on certain videos ...more

Or maybe it is because more people are interested in learning the more widely accepted history rather than the conspiracy theories and they are trying to get people to watch their videos rather than sifting through tons of crap before just giving up and finding it elsewhere. Therefore, they prioritize the "true" stories.

Sounds like a solid business model to me. But no, it is probably the lizard people in charge of Google.

|

I can do anything, I'm an expert.
MotoTribology.com - Motorcycle Lubrication Education

9/24/2018 10:53 AM

Oh so it's not the search results souch that got you wadded up it's the link to the brittanica page.

Well here's a little explanation.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/7/17437816/google-britannica-insights-search-encyclopedia

And here's an excerpt from the actual JFK murder brittanica page
Photo

|

9/24/2018 11:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/24/2018 11:18 AM

MotoTribology wrote:

Or maybe it is because more people are interested in learning the more widely accepted history rather than the conspiracy ...more

That doesnt come off to you as even a tiny bit concerning? The official story is what happened, and thats the end of it. Operation Northwoods isnt real, the Gulf of Tonkin is just a bunch of nonsense, and the Catholic church has no pedophiles whatsoever. End of story. After all, thats the truth, right?

"Interested in learning widely accepted history..." - if youre interested in that, why would you be on youtube looking up conspiracy videos? On top of that, Youtube is a private company. They get paid by people watching their videos. Why would they cut into their own profits by filtering out their highly viewed content (assuming it isnt obscene or violent)?

My point is that they wouldnt- they would give you whatever videos you decided to search for.

I said in an earlier post, I have no issues with content being removed that is harmful (like saying the parents of the kids from sandy hook need to be confronted). But this recent trend in only being shown the content they want you to see isnt at all concerning? The desire to control the population is anything but a new idea. Governments have been trying to do that and succeeding for decades.

|

9/24/2018 11:21 AM

Where are they only showing you content they want you to see?

|

9/24/2018 11:30 AM

early wrote:

Where are they only showing you content they want you to see?

In the search results. All the results are low view count videos from authoritative(their word) sources like CBS, New York Times, CBC, etc..

They are selectively filtering out content they dont want you to see, and pushing the "official" version of the story with the links to Encyclopedia Britannica.

|

9/24/2018 11:39 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/24/2018 11:39 AM

rmoto003 wrote:

That doesnt come off to you as even a tiny bit concerning? The official story is what happened, and thats the end of it. ...more

That's not it at all.

Your entire complaint is about prioritization. They must have some reasoning behind it. I don't pretend to understand their "Al Gore-Rhythms" but to "keep down the truth" doesn't make much sense. What is there to gain?

- It wouldn't help them financially
- it wouldn't help them socially
- I guess you could argue it might help with their credibility, but that doesn't relate to clicks, which is their concern.

The only thing I could think of would be if there was some threat held over their head if they didn't comply. If you want to convince people of that, then you'll need more than "My personal search results based off my own internet usage patterns and Google's algorithms deterred from what I expected."

|

I can do anything, I'm an expert.
MotoTribology.com - Motorcycle Lubrication Education

9/24/2018 11:43 AM

rmoto003 wrote:

In the search results. All the results are low view count videos from authoritative(their word) sources like CBS, New York ...more

So let me get this straight.

Your definition of censorship is not showing you conspiracy theory videos in the top 6 results when your search is "JFK assassination"

Yet when you search "moon landing conspiracy" there are 6 videos with "conspiracy" in the title.

Jeez....

|

9/24/2018 11:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/24/2018 11:47 AM

rmoto003 wrote:

In the search results. All the results are low view count videos from authoritative(their word) sources like CBS, New York ...more

This might help your understanding of search prioritization:

How Does YouTube Prioritize Its Results

Major media companies pay a lot to their content creators. They know how to title, tag, describe, and link the content to absolutely maximize their search prioritization. The average conspiracy theorist making videos in their basement....not so much.

|

I can do anything, I'm an expert.
MotoTribology.com - Motorcycle Lubrication Education

9/24/2018 11:51 AM

early wrote:

So let me get this straight.

Your definition of censorship is not showing you conspiracy theory videos in the top 6 results ...more

Well jeez, here ya go then. Not hard to search this stuff yourself smile

Photo

|

9/24/2018 11:59 AM

rmoto003 wrote:

Well jeez, here ya go then. Not hard to search this stuff yourself smile

Photo

Like I said above, with no rules for net neutrality the door is wide open for information to be filtered on multiple levels.

|

9/24/2018 12:03 PM

Is this better?
Photo
Photo

|

9/24/2018 12:13 PM

|

9/24/2018 4:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/24/2018 4:31 PM

rmoto003 wrote:

Sorry but i tried to put out some factual arguments in that thread but as you can see, they were met with various memes and ...more

I picked apart your arguments and mis-information in the last thread step by step and you disappeared from the thread. Only to come back so you can start a new one that doesn't show how looney toons your original arguments were. That's a troll son. Every single thing you mentioned in the last thread was YouTube conspiracy garbage and horrid lack of general knowledge about space flight in general.

|