Going UTV Racing, Advice?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/10/2018 7:27 AM

Just like the title says, I know some of you animals are racing UTVs, shoot me some first hand advice.

For now I am looking at one of the turbo Can Am Maverick X3s, and do plan on going racing with it. I didn't know the Can Am existed, and had been looking at the Yamaha YXZ. Any word on the RZR? What do "most people" race locally?

|

www.bettercallsaul.com
Die Antwoord

8/10/2018 8:06 AM

Short course, Grand-Prix, Desert, Baja?

|

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

8/10/2018 9:17 AM

I can tell you the X3 and RZR Turbos have about 70hp over the YXZ. I drove the Can-Am and giggled every time I hit the throttle, those things are absolute monsters

|

Washed up Canadian ex-pro couch racer. Selling bikes for a living

2003 KTM 125SX
2009 KTM 450SX
2016 YFZ450R

8/10/2018 10:38 AM

Stunt- I plan on doing some short course races. I am not into long run Baja type stuff, or tight woods, or some of the crazy hill climb type races that you see them doing on Youtube.

BH- I have yet to drive an X3, but they look amazing in person. I have briefly driven the YXZ, and thought it was insane for a UTV, the X3 should be wayyyyyy faster with much better suspension to boot.

|

www.bettercallsaul.com
Die Antwoord

8/10/2018 10:50 AM

Don't stick your arm out if/when you roll over. That's about the only advice I can give.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

8/10/2018 12:54 PM

Johnny Greaves is building full cage short course Yamaha's at his shop 12min from me. I'm sure if you have the 20+k they'll build one for you. Good luck with whatever you do.

johnnygreaves.com

|

8/11/2018 7:38 AM

We ( my son and I ) prep a pro production RZR 1000 N/A for a friend. The car was WAY north of $20,000.00.
We race desert and the prep between races is around 3 to $5,000.00 .Also do as much of the prep work ( repairing Diffs., axles, ETC.) yourself that you can,the shops that rebuild parts for UTV’s are VERY unreliable and expensive.

|

8/11/2018 5:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/11/2018 5:42 PM

We are currently building a RZR 1000 to compete in local desert races. First thing is first, you need a race spec cage, new seats, belt harnesses, and full doors. I also think you need a race spec fuel cell as a minimum requirement to register in races. We bought ours used to save money, drove it up and down the street a few times and started tearing it down immediately. Like everyone said, be prepared to spend some major money. You are going to need lots of spares. Ours is still a work in progress and are hoping to have it ready for the Baja 250 next year. Have fun and enjoy it!

|

Vital Mx is not safe...

8/11/2018 5:43 PM

DC98 wrote:

We ( my son and I ) prep a pro production RZR 1000 N/A for a friend. The car was WAY north of $20,000.00.
We race desert and ...more

Couldn't have said it any better. It's definitely an expensive hobby!

|

Vital Mx is not safe...