Gibbys Road House

scooter5002
8/10/2018 7:07am
MR. X wrote:
Wouldn't surprise me , I'm not sure where the rumour got started about them being excellent craftsmen ,but it's not any where near the truth.
Up until ‘11, I used to truck through Trailer Central quite a bit in northwest Indiana, manufacturers were everywhere. Things had cooled off pretty hard post ‘08, that was quite visible in parts in the yard, and new inventory in shipping. Was down though the area in late ‘15, and couldn’t believe how many are closed now. Maybe the ones who remain are just cutting costs, to stay alive. The unsuspecting have no clue when they drop their money, and bear the brunt of the lack of quality. Sadly, just seems to be a theme with a lot of products these days. At $50K for a camper though, I’d be pissed.

Was actually getting pretty pissy about my 3 year old Pete, when a problem showed up, that couldn’t be diagnosed, or fixed. At $140 an hour, “No idea what the issue is” isn’t what I want to hear. $500 sensors, constant grasping at straws, a $2000 bill, and leave the dealership with the same glitch I showed up with.
MR. X
8/10/2018 8:12am
MR. X wrote:
Wouldn't surprise me , I'm not sure where the rumour got started about them being excellent craftsmen ,but it's not any where near the truth.
Up until ‘11, I used to truck through Trailer Central quite a bit in northwest Indiana, manufacturers were everywhere. Things had cooled off pretty hard post...
Up until ‘11, I used to truck through Trailer Central quite a bit in northwest Indiana, manufacturers were everywhere. Things had cooled off pretty hard post ‘08, that was quite visible in parts in the yard, and new inventory in shipping. Was down though the area in late ‘15, and couldn’t believe how many are closed now. Maybe the ones who remain are just cutting costs, to stay alive. The unsuspecting have no clue when they drop their money, and bear the brunt of the lack of quality. Sadly, just seems to be a theme with a lot of products these days. At $50K for a camper though, I’d be pissed.

Was actually getting pretty pissy about my 3 year old Pete, when a problem showed up, that couldn’t be diagnosed, or fixed. At $140 an hour, “No idea what the issue is” isn’t what I want to hear. $500 sensors, constant grasping at straws, a $2000 bill, and leave the dealership with the same glitch I showed up with.
The camper mfg got a nice little scam going . Send a well built unit to the shows ,build some piece of shit to send to the customer and then the dealer sticks it up their ass when it comes time to fix anything that was pointed out as not acceptable during the walk through.
8/10/2018 8:20am
GuyB wrote:
During the summer, the bed’s the right size for my mountain bike, a pair of five-gallon gas cans, and the Yamaha 3000w generator. Gas mileage isn’t...
During the summer, the bed’s the right size for my mountain bike, a pair of five-gallon gas cans, and the Yamaha 3000w generator. Gas mileage isn’t great, but it pulls (and stops) fine with the trailer. My dad gave me some sage advice years ago...that it’s not what the towing capacity says you can pull, it’s what you can stop.

The trailer is a Fun Finder 214 WSD. Probably 26’ overall length, but travel trailer only, no toy hauler capability. Dual propane tanks, dual batteries. I’d like to do solar at some point, and change to golf cart batteries so I could plug in the laptop and/or phone charger and maybe occasionally use the microwave without having to hook up the generator.

I don’t have any photos of the interior, but one of the things I like about it is that it’s fully functional even when the slide is in. While shopping for this one, I saw a couple models where you couldn’t make your way from the front to the back (and the bathroom) if the slides were in. Or you couldn’t access the fridge. Weird stuff like that.
Trade a sponsorship to Harbor Freight for some cheap panels Wink

Maybe they’ll even have the cashier install them for you.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
8/10/2018 2:48pm
Trade a sponsorship to Harbor Freight for some cheap panels Wink

Maybe they’ll even have the cashier install them for you.
Ha! At least the panels would be quieter than their generators. Wink

The Shop

plowboy
8/10/2018 2:57pm
GuyB wrote:
Ha! At least the panels would be quieter than their generators. Wink
Hey there...no bad talking my favorite store. I bought a badass recip saw last year and it eats anything and everything...including yer hands. Most ergo evil thing I've ever used. To be honest I thought their generators were rated pretty good...maybe just the smaller ones?
8/10/2018 6:30pm
plowboy wrote:
Hey there...no bad talking my favorite store. I bought a badass recip saw last year and it eats anything and everything...including yer hands. Most ergo evil...
Hey there...no bad talking my favorite store. I bought a badass recip saw last year and it eats anything and everything...including yer hands. Most ergo evil thing I've ever used. To be honest I thought their generators were rated pretty good...maybe just the smaller ones?
They’re okay, just louder than others. Not what you want if you wanna be as quiet as you can.
plowboy
8/10/2018 6:40pm
plowboy wrote:
Hey there...no bad talking my favorite store. I bought a badass recip saw last year and it eats anything and everything...including yer hands. Most ergo evil...
They’re okay, just louder than others. Not what you want if you wanna be as quiet as you can.
I've got a 25 year old gennie that can power the whole house when the juice goes out. I had to put a small tractor muffler on it cause it was so obnoxious. My brother had the same unit. He thought building a dog house over it was the answer. It got so hot it caught fire and burned to the ground.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
8/10/2018 6:42pm
Yeah. Okay by yourself (if you have a long cord or build a box around it). Not so good if you have neighbors.
plowboy
8/10/2018 6:57pm
GuyB wrote:
Yeah. Okay by yourself (if you have a long cord or build a box around it). Not so good if you have neighbors.
Gibby, I've seen that the old Harbor Freight has expandable solar kits. I bet there's a Vitard on your travels that has the know how to hook you up. Even if you plan on a new trailer next year it's pretty easy. You know you've got friends with skills out here. Just gotta ask brother.
plowboy
8/10/2018 7:01pm
GuyB wrote:
plowboy wrote:
Gibby, I've seen that the old Harbor Freight has expandable solar kits. I bet there's a Vitard on your travels that has the know how to...
Gibby, I've seen that the old Harbor Freight has expandable solar kits. I bet there's a Vitard on your travels that has the know how to hook you up. Even if you plan on a new trailer next year it's pretty easy. You know you've got friends with skills out here. Just gotta ask brother.
Speaking of Vitards on your travels...that might be a good little segment for you to do. Just throwing it out there.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1864th
8/10/2018 7:26pm
MR. X wrote:
On their own they're fine...at least out here, but when you put them on a production line, no bueno.
plowboy
8/10/2018 7:42pm
MR. X wrote:
On their own they're fine...at least out here, but when you put them on a production line, no bueno.
Production line...that's where cost and speed push quality right out the door. Don't blame the workers for that.

Post a reply to: Gibbys Road House

The Latest