Getting into hunting, fishing, outdoors

TXDirt
3/10/2021 7:04pm Edited Date/Time 3/31/2021 11:32am
Starting a new adventure with the family. Going to learn to hunt, fish, camp, hike, etc. My boys are turning 12 and 11 and it’s time to start making men out of these boys! I’ve also got two younger girls who love the outdoors and my wife wants to hunt, hike, camp, etc.

We are currently on a 6 night camping trip. Tents only. Sleeping has been hell on my body!! lol I’ll need to make some adjustments for the next trip.

Question: Do you like to pack a mess kit in the bag of each person or do you like to just carry one tote with all the cook/camp stuff?

I’m trying to build some pretty comprehensive bug out bags that has everything each person needs for a 3-7 day camp out.

I brought too much stuff this trip but overall not too bad. But I’ll definitely be trimming things down more. Finding efficiencies in packing, etc.

Am I to old to learn how to hunt? I’ve got this pipe dream about wanting to elk or deer hunt in the snow in Montana some day. A true hike in, stalk, hunt, camp, etc.

Looking to gain experience for some of the rougher conditions we might face in the future.
|
Hoseclamp
Fantasy
632nd
3/10/2021 7:52pm
Being prepared to endure tough times is a great idea, especially for a family togeather plan. Your never too old to learn to do anything... including hunt. (Which involves more than just downing an animal.) If you want it... go and get it.
Chance1216
3/10/2021 8:59pm
TXDirt wrote:
Starting a new adventure with the family. Going to learn to hunt, fish, camp, hike, etc. My boys are turning 12 and 11 and it’s time...
Starting a new adventure with the family. Going to learn to hunt, fish, camp, hike, etc. My boys are turning 12 and 11 and it’s time to start making men out of these boys! I’ve also got two younger girls who love the outdoors and my wife wants to hunt, hike, camp, etc.

We are currently on a 6 night camping trip. Tents only. Sleeping has been hell on my body!! lol I’ll need to make some adjustments for the next trip.

Question: Do you like to pack a mess kit in the bag of each person or do you like to just carry one tote with all the cook/camp stuff?

I’m trying to build some pretty comprehensive bug out bags that has everything each person needs for a 3-7 day camp out.

I brought too much stuff this trip but overall not too bad. But I’ll definitely be trimming things down more. Finding efficiencies in packing, etc.

Am I to old to learn how to hunt? I’ve got this pipe dream about wanting to elk or deer hunt in the snow in Montana some day. A true hike in, stalk, hunt, camp, etc.

Looking to gain experience for some of the rougher conditions we might face in the future.
I camped a year and a half ago in the California desert. I kept it fairly simple. I slept in a tent, packed a Coleman stove top, a few bottles of propane, a propane light, some cast iron pans, flashlight, two sleeping bags. I ended up doubling them up as it got pretty cold at night. Also, a French press, two six gallon plastic water jugs, a cooler full of food. I also bought a couple of travel size shampoo bottles and filled one with dish soap and the other with shampoo. Another thing was a couple SOS pads for cleaning the pans up after each meal.
Zip lock bags helped organize stuff like, tooth brush, bar soap, Q tips etc. Aside from the larger items, everything fit in two crates. If I’m backpacking and camping I opt to carry this little butane burner. It works really well for canned foods and, doesn’t take up much room.

M1000
3/11/2021 11:43am
TXDirt wrote:
Starting a new adventure with the family. Going to learn to hunt, fish, camp, hike, etc. My boys are turning 12 and 11 and it’s time...

Chance1216 wrote:
I camped a year and a half ago in the California desert. I kept it fairly simple. I slept in a tent, packed a Coleman stove...
I camped a year and a half ago in the California desert. I kept it fairly simple. I slept in a tent, packed a Coleman stove top, a few bottles of propane, a propane light, some cast iron pans, flashlight, two sleeping bags. I ended up doubling them up as it got pretty cold at night. Also, a French press, two six gallon plastic water jugs, a cooler full of food. I also bought a couple of travel size shampoo bottles and filled one with dish soap and the other with shampoo. Another thing was a couple SOS pads for cleaning the pans up after each meal.
Zip lock bags helped organize stuff like, tooth brush, bar soap, Q tips etc. Aside from the larger items, everything fit in two crates. If I’m backpacking and camping I opt to carry this little butane burner. It works really well for canned foods and, doesn’t take up much room.

Those are the staples. Join a fishing/hunting club in your city. Go from there. Meet many whom want/ have similar ideals. Camping, hunting, fishing are fun. Up here in Canada 🇨🇦, it’s outdoorsmans paradise. Few people, lots of public, private land to hunt. Few hunters (< 4%). However it’s cold. Good luck.
3/11/2021 1:37pm
Re hunting: Find a place to hunt hogs, they’re cheap and plentiful in Texas. don’t forget some solid hunter education classes for the kids.

The Shop

Falcon
Fantasy
765th
3/11/2021 1:54pm
Regarding the hiking it in portion: do yourself a favor and get some true external frame (waist) backpacks. You can load those up with a ton of stuff and it feels much better with weight on your hips instead of bearing it all on your shoulders. You should make every person in your group carry his own water and food if it's feasible, and any utensils, etc. are also a good idea. You can decide for yourself if you want to carry more weight than everyone else. Wink

TXDirt
3/11/2021 2:11pm
Falcon wrote:
Regarding the hiking it in portion: do yourself a favor and get some true external frame (waist) backpacks. You can load those up with a ton...
Regarding the hiking it in portion: do yourself a favor and get some true external frame (waist) backpacks. You can load those up with a ton of stuff and it feels much better with weight on your hips instead of bearing it all on your shoulders. You should make every person in your group carry his own water and food if it's feasible, and any utensils, etc. are also a good idea. You can decide for yourself if you want to carry more weight than everyone else. Wink

I was looking at the external frames. What’s a good place to find these? They don’t seem to be as plentiful as they were back in the day.
zehn
3/11/2021 2:31pm
External packs are very heavy and are nowhere near worth it. Modern framed packs are literally better in every way possible. Just throwing that out there.

OP, are you talking about car camping or backpacking? The requirements are going to look very, very different if you plan to cover 10-15 miles on foot, carrying everything you need vs. a short approach from the car
Nairb#70
3/11/2021 4:19pm Edited Date/Time 3/11/2021 4:20pm
On my bucket list is the AT, Long Trail or something similar. Lots of coordination of things involved though, and you need a good support network. My plan would to be a southbounder.
3/11/2021 4:56pm
TXDirt wrote:

I was at work taking a short break when I responded so to add: you can hunt elk in New Mexico but for a good bull it’s $$$$. I have a coworker that hunts elk in Colorado every year - he doesn’t use a guide as he has a couple other buddies he hunts with - you have to draw a tag and his party isn’t always successful. But they’re also hunting mule deer and bear(if they draw that tag). Bear meat is very fatty and tastes nasty though - I wouldn’t recommend it.

You’re never too old, but you will definitely want to be fit before hitting elevation to hunt. Some guided hunts in the Rockies use horses and that helps. I’d highly suggest starting smaller and either pay for a day hunt for hogs or get on a lease in TX - hunt hogs, whitetail and - depending where in TX- sometimes exotics. I hunt on a lease in East Texas and hunting with my son is the bees knees.

Regarding camping I used to read “Outside” magazine for all the latest camping goodies and ideas. Look into overlanding too. That’s gaining in popularity and a little easier on the knees and back.
3/11/2021 7:06pm
Don't go cheap on gear. You'll end up spending more in the long run replacing all the cheap crap that you bought in the first place. For hunting spend on boots and glass (binoculars). Most rifles shoot well out of the box but get a decent scope.
TXDirt
3/12/2021 6:48am
Thanks all for the info!! My plan was really to hunt small game for a year or two. Hogs, bob cat, etc. Just get some experience. Learn to camp. Learn to stalk, etc. Get me and the boys some boots on the ground experience.

We just completed a 6 day camp out with the whole family. Tents only. Six of us. Hiked in about half a mile so not far. We did cook everything by campfire. I didn't bring any stove or propane etc. Even made coffee through an old fashioned percolator right on the fire.

Decent first trip that has given me some ideas for packing, etc.

Even my body feels better now. Those first few days were rough. My hips were killin me. Not gonna lie. By day six I feel more acclimated to it and my body feels mostly fine.

Fun trip and can't wait until the next one!
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
3/12/2021 8:46am
If you're only hiking a few miles, you can get away with a regular backpack. Laughing

Zehn is probably on to something with the internal frame backpacks; the important part is that you get a waist cinch design which takes weight off your shoulders. I've carried an aluminum-framed external pack which was practically weightless to me when empty, so I've never worried too much about the weight of the things.
TXDirt
3/12/2021 12:39pm
Falcon wrote:
If you're only hiking a few miles, you can get away with a regular backpack. :laugh: Zehn is probably on to something with the internal frame...
If you're only hiking a few miles, you can get away with a regular backpack. Laughing

Zehn is probably on to something with the internal frame backpacks; the important part is that you get a waist cinch design which takes weight off your shoulders. I've carried an aluminum-framed external pack which was practically weightless to me when empty, so I've never worried too much about the weight of the things.
I think we would hike anywhere from 1-10 miles in the future. Really just depends. If I’ve got the young kids with me probably shorter hike.

This was six nights of camping and honestly we had too many small bags. I want to get each person setup with just one bag. If I can get it to one bag per person I feel I can camp/hike more often and be a bit more spontaneous with it.

Grab the bags. Grab a tote or two. And roll out.
M1000
3/12/2021 3:09pm
Take a blood trailing course (2 day course), provided by hunting group (archery, rifle). Learn to track your game, after the shot. In archery, many times animal will continue walking/running 20-100 yards after the shot. Difficult to track Animals in thick Bush. Animals leave Small or large blood specks on leaves, tree’s, ground (depends on where the shot placed). It Can be scary tracking a wounded animal (bear) in evening, when sun disappears. No one wants to wound and animal. Quick, clean kill exactly what is required. That comes from practise (Range). Pull one of these monsters.

imoto34
Fantasy
3151st
3/12/2021 4:26pm
After years of moto and back injury, I pretty much cant go with either my foldable cot to sleep on or a hammock. I have a hammock with stand that fits in a bag that is about 10 inches by 5 foot. Freaking love that thing.

Its wild to me since I grew up in the country and could kill clean and prepare about everything by 10. Your never to old to learn, I'd be surprised if you cant learn to clean deer, etc on youtube now a days lol. Awesome to get out there and enjoy nature with the family.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
360th
3/12/2021 8:01pm Edited Date/Time 3/12/2021 8:03pm
Never too old to learn to hike, camp, and hunt. One of the true treasures in this life. Definitely recommend you start now!

My $0.02:

1) Invest in great boots (just like moto). If you get good ones, they can be for both hunting and camping/hiking.
2) Start by getting a reliable shotgun - don't think you have to spend $2K on a shotgun to get a good gun. Remington 870 pump is a great gun. If you want an autoloader, look at Beretta (outlander) or a Stoeger (owned by Beneli and pretty much the exact gun as a Beneli at a fraction of the price. Later on, you can always by your dream shotgun. Once you get a shotgun, get a .30-06 and a .22. You can hunt just about anything in North America with those 3 guns. You don't have to spend a fortune - just get decent quality then spend money on your optics.
3) start with small game - quail, dove, squirrel, rabbit, etc. Yes put in for elk, deer, etc but start with hunting birds and other small game. Lots more action, more shooting, more stalking, more calling, more days to hunt - just a lot more action. This will get you hooked on hunting.

As for camping, it comes down to car versus backpacking. There's so much gear you can buy, its crazy.
SEEMEFIRST
3/12/2021 11:49pm
M1000 wrote:
Take a blood trailing course (2 day course), provided by hunting group (archery, rifle). Learn to track your game, after the shot. In archery, many times...
Take a blood trailing course (2 day course), provided by hunting group (archery, rifle). Learn to track your game, after the shot. In archery, many times animal will continue walking/running 20-100 yards after the shot. Difficult to track Animals in thick Bush. Animals leave Small or large blood specks on leaves, tree’s, ground (depends on where the shot placed). It Can be scary tracking a wounded animal (bear) in evening, when sun disappears. No one wants to wound and animal. Quick, clean kill exactly what is required. That comes from practise (Range). Pull one of these monsters.

Good words, man.
I really didn't know where to begin since I was raised by hunters.

Respect your ground, and respect your game.
Learn to be good at what you do.

95or so% of the white tails I have shot have been neck shots. They fall immediately. The rest are heart/lung shots. The one's that you need to watch after shot. Blood trail etc.

If you are comfortable with placing rounds, I like the neck shot.

If you are not sure, shoot the heart lung area.around the shoulder.

Just get good. And shoot the neck.
SEEMEFIRST
3/12/2021 11:55pm
Before the questions, at our place, the nearest shot is 180 yards.
Probable is 200. Possible 400.

I mean unless the sumbitch just walks out of no where.
SEEMEFIRST
3/13/2021 12:00am Edited Date/Time 3/13/2021 12:02am
I would start around 100 yards.
TXDirt
3/16/2021 3:47pm
I settled on a few bags and then I went to REI. Holy crap they had some nice bags there! I’m gonna need to save up for one of those bad boys!

I did get a decently priced outside frame camo hunting bag off Amazon. It’s big at 100L. The price was amazing and the bag is good quality.

My hunting bag and my hiking/camping bag I think I’ll use different sizes. I’ll need to save some money for one of those awesome bags at REI.
Raoul Duke
3/16/2021 6:46pm
TXDirt wrote:
I settled on a few bags and then I went to REI. Holy crap they had some nice bags there! I’m gonna need to save up...
I settled on a few bags and then I went to REI. Holy crap they had some nice bags there! I’m gonna need to save up for one of those bad boys!

I did get a decently priced outside frame camo hunting bag off Amazon. It’s big at 100L. The price was amazing and the bag is good quality.

My hunting bag and my hiking/camping bag I think I’ll use different sizes. I’ll need to save some money for one of those awesome bags at REI.
If you’re gonna save up for one I’d go with an exo mountain gear, kifaru, or stone glacier. They’re very expensive but worth it. They have the capability to separate the bag from the frame so you can carry meat or more gear in between the bag and the frame. Mystery ranch makes really great bags as well for a better price point than the exo and kifarus, but the quality isn’t the same as those other brands.
TXDirt
3/16/2021 9:27pm
TXDirt wrote:
I settled on a few bags and then I went to REI. Holy crap they had some nice bags there! I’m gonna need to save up...

Raoul Duke wrote:
If you’re gonna save up for one I’d go with an exo mountain gear, kifaru, or stone glacier. They’re very expensive but worth it. They have...
If you’re gonna save up for one I’d go with an exo mountain gear, kifaru, or stone glacier. They’re very expensive but worth it. They have the capability to separate the bag from the frame so you can carry meat or more gear in between the bag and the frame. Mystery ranch makes really great bags as well for a better price point than the exo and kifarus, but the quality isn’t the same as those other brands.
Thanks for sharing! Just looking at all three of those places and wow that’s some awesome gear! Appreciate those links!
Daniel816
3/19/2021 6:10am
This is an awesome venture and you’re never too old to start hunting! So for what it’s worth here’s my $.02

First off get a notebook to keep in your pack. Have your gear list on it so as you think of something you need you can add it to the list right there. And when you get home go back over the list and see what you packed that you never even needed and take it off the list. It’s easy to prepare for all four seasons and a knife for every scenario, and this or that but at the end of the day that’s all lbs on your feet.

As far as the packs, the wife and I run EXO packs and absolutely love them. The guys there are great as far as helping you fit it and they have a ton of adjustability. As said above the back separates from the frame to carry meat and you can get different sizes. There is a Facebook page called Exo mountain gear and mountain hunting that you can catch some good deals on used packs. Plus I believe they are getting ready to release a woman’s pack.

Boots like Moto you dont wanna skimp on. I’ve tried a few and so far the best fit and most durable I’ve found are the Crispi boots. Plus if you have any issues their customer service is top notch.

If you’re looking for stoves for backpacking check out Jetboil or the Camo Chef Stryker. It’s a pretty condensed kit. I’ve been running the Stryker and got there pot and pan kit. It may take a few minutes longer but I still can grill up a mean chunk of back strap on that little stove. Also go check out some of the meal kits like Mountain house. There’s a lot of brands out there. Mountain house is what’s most available for me at the store. Tons of meal options and only takes a few minutes to boil some water and have a pretty good meal after a long day.

Along with packs depending on your terrain you may want to check out a set of trekking poles. You can get some cheap aluminum ones from Walmart for like $25 to try them out. I’ll use them on flat ground, uphill, but most importantly down hill! My knees are pretty banged up and they help a ton to cushion the blow on the hike back down.

The hands down most important piece of gear I own is a SPOTX messenger. I spend 90% of my hunting season solo and in most cases out of cell service. It’s nice to be able to tell the wife how the day went or say goodnight to the kids but most importantly if shit hits the fan I will always be able to communicate. You can also check out the Garmin InReach.

As far as the hunting side, 95% of hunters I would say are always willing to help others get into hunting. Sadly there is that 5% that think you want their secret spot and are dicks. Maybe try and see if there are some Facebook groups in you area and just ask if you can tag along. I see it all the time here on the nevada pages, people of all ages asking for help getting into hunting and asking to tag along and a lot of people are willing to help. Over the counter tags are the way to go but states are starting to limit non residence tags. Idaho did it this year for elk and deer and I see Wyoming is trying to follow!

I love talking outdoors and hunting, but I suck at the pms here so if you ever wanna chat or have questions shoot me an email Daniel.pearce816@gmail.com.
Chance1216
3/19/2021 4:30pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2021 7:19pm
Don’t forget to have your kids “SNIPE” hunt before they get too old. 😉
Daniel816
3/19/2021 4:45pm
Chance1216 wrote:
Hahaha you win the thread!
Chance1216
3/19/2021 7:48pm
Chance1216 wrote:
Daniel816 wrote:
Tradition and, memories. I felt like a damn idiot lol. Banging on a pan with, a plastic bag full of bacon grease clipped to my belt loop while, yelling snipe in the woods. Yes, of course in the middle of the night.
They only come out when it’s dark they said.

TXDirt
3/19/2021 8:08pm
Daniel816 wrote:
This is an awesome venture and you’re never too old to start hunting! So for what it’s worth here’s my $.02 First off get a notebook...
This is an awesome venture and you’re never too old to start hunting! So for what it’s worth here’s my $.02

First off get a notebook to keep in your pack. Have your gear list on it so as you think of something you need you can add it to the list right there. And when you get home go back over the list and see what you packed that you never even needed and take it off the list. It’s easy to prepare for all four seasons and a knife for every scenario, and this or that but at the end of the day that’s all lbs on your feet.

As far as the packs, the wife and I run EXO packs and absolutely love them. The guys there are great as far as helping you fit it and they have a ton of adjustability. As said above the back separates from the frame to carry meat and you can get different sizes. There is a Facebook page called Exo mountain gear and mountain hunting that you can catch some good deals on used packs. Plus I believe they are getting ready to release a woman’s pack.

Boots like Moto you dont wanna skimp on. I’ve tried a few and so far the best fit and most durable I’ve found are the Crispi boots. Plus if you have any issues their customer service is top notch.

If you’re looking for stoves for backpacking check out Jetboil or the Camo Chef Stryker. It’s a pretty condensed kit. I’ve been running the Stryker and got there pot and pan kit. It may take a few minutes longer but I still can grill up a mean chunk of back strap on that little stove. Also go check out some of the meal kits like Mountain house. There’s a lot of brands out there. Mountain house is what’s most available for me at the store. Tons of meal options and only takes a few minutes to boil some water and have a pretty good meal after a long day.

Along with packs depending on your terrain you may want to check out a set of trekking poles. You can get some cheap aluminum ones from Walmart for like $25 to try them out. I’ll use them on flat ground, uphill, but most importantly down hill! My knees are pretty banged up and they help a ton to cushion the blow on the hike back down.

The hands down most important piece of gear I own is a SPOTX messenger. I spend 90% of my hunting season solo and in most cases out of cell service. It’s nice to be able to tell the wife how the day went or say goodnight to the kids but most importantly if shit hits the fan I will always be able to communicate. You can also check out the Garmin InReach.

As far as the hunting side, 95% of hunters I would say are always willing to help others get into hunting. Sadly there is that 5% that think you want their secret spot and are dicks. Maybe try and see if there are some Facebook groups in you area and just ask if you can tag along. I see it all the time here on the nevada pages, people of all ages asking for help getting into hunting and asking to tag along and a lot of people are willing to help. Over the counter tags are the way to go but states are starting to limit non residence tags. Idaho did it this year for elk and deer and I see Wyoming is trying to follow!

I love talking outdoors and hunting, but I suck at the pms here so if you ever wanna chat or have questions shoot me an email Daniel.pearce816@gmail.com.
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated. I’m going to keep your contact info! Thx so much for sharing!!
Daniel816
3/19/2021 8:10pm
Chance1216 wrote:
Daniel816 wrote:
Chance1216 wrote:
Tradition and, memories. I felt like a damn idiot lol. Banging on a pan with, a plastic bag full of bacon grease clipped to my belt...
Tradition and, memories. I felt like a damn idiot lol. Banging on a pan with, a plastic bag full of bacon grease clipped to my belt loop while, yelling snipe in the woods. Yes, of course in the middle of the night.
They only come out when it’s dark they said.

Damn you got taken way harder than I did, ours was a black garbage sack and pop cans tied to a string clanking with us yelling here snip snipe snipe while the adults waited just long enough for us to go so they could all go hide and scare us! Good times!
captmoto
3/30/2021 10:47pm
There is very little public land to hunt in Texas so your best bet is to find a local range or hunt club. Take your kids with you. Most ranges and clubs want to get kids into hunting and shooting as a next generation thing. You do not want to try to learn hunting all by yourself. You will have a way better understanding of the hunting and gun culture if can find a good mentor. I started late, like 28 maybe but I had my wife (yes) and her family to guide me along. I had been camping plenty of times on desert riding trips as a kid.
Your timing is off by a couple years because there is very little ammo to be had out there and what you can find is very expensive. .22 is the cheapest way to learn and practice. I suggest you look for an Appleseed course for a very good basic training program. Some ranges may have rifles for you to borrow or rent.
Be advised, hunting and or shooting can be a rabbit hole that leads into collecting guns and knives, reloading, minor gunsmithing, concealed carry and on and on.
TXDirt
3/31/2021 11:32am
captmoto wrote:
There is very little public land to hunt in Texas so your best bet is to find a local range or hunt club. Take your kids...
There is very little public land to hunt in Texas so your best bet is to find a local range or hunt club. Take your kids with you. Most ranges and clubs want to get kids into hunting and shooting as a next generation thing. You do not want to try to learn hunting all by yourself. You will have a way better understanding of the hunting and gun culture if can find a good mentor. I started late, like 28 maybe but I had my wife (yes) and her family to guide me along. I had been camping plenty of times on desert riding trips as a kid.
Your timing is off by a couple years because there is very little ammo to be had out there and what you can find is very expensive. .22 is the cheapest way to learn and practice. I suggest you look for an Appleseed course for a very good basic training program. Some ranges may have rifles for you to borrow or rent.
Be advised, hunting and or shooting can be a rabbit hole that leads into collecting guns and knives, reloading, minor gunsmithing, concealed carry and on and on.
You are not kidding about the gun and knife collecting. Just in the last about two months I’ve purchased an FN 15, Sig P320, Sig P320 M18, Sig P325XL, S&W Shield and numerous knives, hatchet, etc etc. And you are spot on about ammo. Hard to find. We have had some luck getting ammo at Academy. I’ve got a few thousand rounds of 9mm, 223, and some 22.

When we go to the gun range we purchase a few boxes to shoot there so we don’t burn our own supply.

And yup my wife and I both completed our license to conceal carry permit!!

This is an expensive hobby to get started in lol

But lots of fun! We had a blast on our first six night tent trip. I’ve got some more trips already on the calendar.

Thanks for all your tips!! I’ll definitely be looking into them.

Post a reply to: Getting into hunting, fishing, outdoors

The Latest