Getting into golf

FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
3/10/2021 7:34am
We used to play so much, sometimes everyday for a month straight and many 36 hole runs in there. We had memberships where you pay 10 for first round second round free. We played so much that sometimes we all would bring only say a wedge and a putter to see what happens. Its amazing how you learn how to adjust loft with swing mechanics. Like removing the clutch or brakes during moto practice.
Drive for show, putt for dough. Anyone can whack it out there with the driver but it's the approach to the green that matters most. Short game is the most important. A huge tip is there is no deceleration in golf, you never try and slow your swing to hit shorter, you just shorten your backswing or takeaway. One of my best friends was the chef at a top 50 greatest coarse Bonita Bay club. We played for free multiple times a week for a decade and then 5 star meals afterward. Awesome tracks. 3 courses at the club and then they bought Jack Nicholas private course on the edge of the everglades. I never saw another golfer there through years. It was a great time.
I will still go to the range with my pad and notes in my back pocket and try to focus and learn.
Don't ever get mad playing golf, realize you paid for that frustration and it's just for fun. Look around and realize it's not a perfect game and everyone is bad at it just somedays worse than others.
Golf is a game of compromise or compensating multiple elements, angles and inconsistencies. Today your back is loose and tomorrow it's stiff. Today your hamstrings are loose tomorrow maybe extra tight so always compensating. Add environmental changes and its constantly changing. Find a go to shot that helps when you are having a tough go.
There is always an angle or shot that has the lowest risk and best results for any lie. Focus on the angles of approach that limit hazards. Sometimes I play with beginners that always start in the worst angle off the tee box and double the risk just from the angle. That realization alone will knock strokes off your card. Have fun and don't set high goals just enjoy and hope to have a few good shots and everything else is a bonus. Good times.
peelout
3/10/2021 8:02am
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
A funny thing about golf. I was friends with the accountant for a pretty nice course, and we got comped, and occasionally got to play a...
A funny thing about golf.
I was friends with the accountant for a pretty nice course, and we got comped, and occasionally got to play a few holes with the pro.

One day the pro says, "grab the 3 clubs you think you need, and no more."

I grabbed a 3 wood, a 7, and the putter.

I played 9 holes as well as I ever did with a whole bag of shit.

i play in a men's league and we do the 3 club game a few times per year. i'm usually only a couple strokes off my best rounds.

i play 5-PW, have 2 wedges, a hybrid, and my driver. on a normal round i'm probably only hitting 5-6 clubs total. it's pretty crazy.
KMC440
3/11/2021 4:33am Edited Date/Time 3/11/2021 4:33am
When I was in my 20's I there were three of us that would go to this 9 hole nearby and we had a "carry what you want" game. No bags and you ran between shots. We called it commando golf. Yelling as if we were storming the consulate!! Man we were dorks but it was fun as hell!!
Ohhhh AND you had to carry your 12pk (the dude runnin the place didn't care) of beer while running! The pro move was to chug as much as possible while watching others shoot reducing the weight of said 12pk. 👍😉
BobbyLight
3/12/2021 5:59pm
Tiger's book "How I Play Golf" really helped my game. Also youtube is a great resource. If you can afford it, lessons are great also. Especially at your level so you don't have to "unlearn" bad habits later.

The Shop

OG725
3/12/2021 6:28pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
A funny thing about golf. I was friends with the accountant for a pretty nice course, and we got comped, and occasionally got to play a...
I was friends with the accountant for a pretty nice course, and we got comped, and occasionally got to play a few holes with the pro.

Sorry, I read accountant and went straight to Happy Gilmore. “You know what you need too play golf? Funny pants and a huge ass! You should ask my neighbor the accountant, huge ass”.

I know some people that’d be really happy if I took up golf.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
3/12/2021 7:30pm Edited Date/Time 3/12/2021 7:31pm
None of these will help you, but if anyone is in the mood for golf movies:

Happy Gilmore
Caddyshack
The Legend of Bagger Vance
The Greatest Game Ever Played
A Gentleman's Game
Seven Days in Utopia
Dead Solid Perfect
Tin Cup
Bobby Jones: Stroke of Genius
Seve: The Movie
Leslie Nielsen's Bad Golf Made Easier
Leslie Nielsen's Stupid Little Golf Video
The Boys of Sunset Ridge
Golf in the Kingdom
The Squeeze
From the Rough
Tommy's Honour
Swing Away
Why You Suck at Golf
M1000
3/14/2021 11:14am
SEEMEFIRST wrote:

I have narrowed down to five clubs and a lightweight bag. Literally run around the course and hit +13. Down from +20.
Driver, putter, five iron, seven iron, wedge.
3/14/2021 1:16pm
xrmark wrote:
?
OldPro277 wrote:
I believe Ezza is referring to how frustrating the game can be at times , lol
DoctorJD wrote:
No, he is referring to something else.

The next line: Every day.

Fifty bucks the Smails kid picks his nose.

KMC440
3/14/2021 2:00pm
Gambling is illegal at Bushwood and I never slice ...
FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
3/14/2021 5:17pm
I have watched that so many times and I tell every kid in his 20s who asks me about golf to watch Caddyshack and it will teach you all you need to know. lol
I saw a documentary on it recently and that there was no script and chevy and Murray hated each other and the whole scene where Chevy plays thru Bill's living room was just all made up on the spot. There was a mound of coke and everyone was all tweeked out the whole time and no direction but somehow made that masterpiece even though they all thought it was a fail from day 1 of filming. It made me look at in a whole new light.

Post a reply to: Getting into golf

The Latest