Getting into golf

xrmark
26 here, been to the range a few times, decided to get into it. Buying a set of clubs today off Offer up and a putting mat for in the house when I’m bored. Never played a game of golf in my life haha other than mini golf. Any tips and recommendations? If anyone is in the Elsinore area and plays feel free to hit me up!
|
peelout
3/8/2021 12:22pm Edited Date/Time 3/8/2021 12:26pm
my only advice is one beer per hole if i'm playing 18, ramp it up to 2 for 9 holes

grip and rip my friend

on a serious note, after a full year of playing i would take your clubs to a club fitment shop and have them analyze your clubs for your swing. i've been playing for about 15 years now and finally spent the $150 to find out my clubs are about 3/4" too long for me and the club head lie-angle was completely off. i ended up trading the old girls in and getting new clubs, but it's a night and day difference having equipment set up for you. it's like taking a bone stock bike with stock suspension settings to the track and expecting to be as fast as on a bike with a full suspension setup to your body and riding style.

DoctorJD
3/8/2021 12:43pm
I was a golf addict for about 10 years straight. Played three times a week, and when I wasn't at the course I was chipping balls around my yard. Never was more than a (unofficial) 15-18 handicap. I hung it up and quit cold turkey about 20 years ago. I drank too much when I played, and it killed my back. I quit golf and took up mountain biking. One of the best decisions I've ever made. But you have fun with it.

If I had any advice it would be to get a professional (instructor) involved before you pick up too many bad habits. Not saying to have an instructor on retainer for the entirety of your golf career, but at least let someone analyze your swing.

Also, what Peely said. Even if you buy off-the-shelf clubs, go to a good shop and let them set you up with the right club shafts for your swing speed, and of course, for the proper fit.

Spend most of your time working on your short game. Everyone wants to hit it long but that's not where you get that low score. The first time I played with a bunch of scratch golfers, I was amazed that I was (seemingly) playing as good as they were. We were making the turn and comparing scores, and they were smoking me. They weren't hitting many more greens than I was, but they were getting up-and-down and making par, where I was struggling for bogey. It makes a huge difference.
KMC440
3/8/2021 1:08pm Edited Date/Time 3/8/2021 1:11pm
There are s few discount web sites that are pretty good. GolfBallNut has "experienced" balls reasonably priced and they're quick with delivery. DO NOT buy ProV1's unless you like wasting money. Yes they're uniform in performance but untill you get your you-know-what figured out you'll be pissed at an extra 48$ in balls you just donated to the squirrels.
If you can shoot 80 in a few years of trying be proud of yourself. Thousands of hackers (me) have never sniffed that number.
If there's a reputable inexpensive teacher out there take a few lessons. It's a hell of a lot easier to start with a good habit than try to fix a bad one.
Last and most importantly, tip the drink cart girl generously. They're usually doing the job to help pay for college and most are super sweet.
Good luck and welcome to A Good Walk Spoiled.
xrmark
3/8/2021 2:53pm
Thanks guys!! I’m sure once I get more into it I’ll get more serious about my clubs and swing and stuff like that. Funny you say you hung up the clubs for a mountain bike, I hung up the mountain bike for clubs I guess haha really appreciate everyone’s insight. A lot more insightful than “go buy some clubs and come drink beer and play when we’re not riding” ha what’s a good set of beginner clubs? What’s a good set of shoes to get?

The Shop

peelout
3/8/2021 3:09pm
xrmark wrote:
Thanks guys!! I’m sure once I get more into it I’ll get more serious about my clubs and swing and stuff like that. Funny you say...
Thanks guys!! I’m sure once I get more into it I’ll get more serious about my clubs and swing and stuff like that. Funny you say you hung up the clubs for a mountain bike, I hung up the mountain bike for clubs I guess haha really appreciate everyone’s insight. A lot more insightful than “go buy some clubs and come drink beer and play when we’re not riding” ha what’s a good set of beginner clubs? What’s a good set of shoes to get?
i hate shoes with spikes. some people love spikes but i can't play with them.

i usually go for Adidas as they have a great all-around feel but are comfortable enough to walk a full round and not want to throw them away after.

all the club mfrs have good entry level clubs to select from. i would get cavity back irons if i were you, not blades. when i browse the classifieds, most people selling their clubs online are blades (expert players club) or slightly below. my guess is they got a more advanced club and they were too hard to play, so they are selling them to re-coup the loss. i'd stay away from anything without a cavity for a while.

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
3/8/2021 3:09pm
Just watch Happy Gilmore. Grinning

You'll definitely have some of those moments.

It's great.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
3/8/2021 3:11pm
I used to play way to much golf.... can't tell though.
xrmark
3/8/2021 3:15pm
peelout wrote:
i hate shoes with spikes. some people love spikes but i can't play with them. i usually go for Adidas as they have a great all-around...

i usually go for Adidas as they have a great all-around feel but are comfortable enough to walk a full round and not want to throw them away after.

all the club mfrs have good entry level clubs to select from. i would get cavity back irons if i were you, not blades. when i browse the classifieds, most people selling their clubs online are blades (expert players club) or slightly below. my guess is they got a more advanced club and they were too hard to play, so they are selling them to re-coup the loss. i'd stay away from anything without a cavity for a while.

I’ll have to check out a set of those once I feel it’s worth it to me to buy a complete set. For now I’m just rollin with an 60 dollar offer up set for now. Really appreciate the advice man helps a ton
peelout
3/8/2021 3:32pm
FLmxer wrote:
I used to play way to much golf.... can't tell though.
i used to play way too much golf, i still do, but i used to too
OldPro277
3/8/2021 3:59pm Edited Date/Time 3/8/2021 5:50pm
Avid competitive golfer here (at least I was until I started riding again 5 years ago) and I believe it’s the greatest game in the world. I haven’t played a round for 4 years,but I played to a 4.5 Hdcp when I temporarily quit. I love playing with my normal crew and being the super competitive guy that I am,it’s definitely an excellent way to keep your game face on without risking life and limb. A loss of focus on the course ,and you may knock one OB, or skull one over the green ,loss of focus on the track ~~~~well we ALL know how that can end up. Golf is a game that you can never master, Even when/if you can break 80 regularly,you’re then looking to break par.

Everyone above has great advice. Get decent clubs, in fact get fitted before you even buy a set. Correct figment is critical as peely said ,it’s like a 150 lb guy riding 240 lb suspension or vice versa. Length,lie angle ,shaft flex,kick point are all things a good fitter can determine inside a half hour

Keep your tee shot in play. Don’t worry about the 300 yard bombs. No fun hitting 3 off the tee. The distance will come with better,smoother tempo, not sasquatchian muscle.

Practice the short game like there’s no tomorrow. Plant a flagstick on your property and practice the 80 yards and closer wedge shots. High wedge, punch shots , the whole shebang. And obviously good putting is absolutely critical to scoring.

Find some buddies that you enjoy being around for 4 hours a clip,and if you do,it will be memories that will last forever.

Does it sound like I miss playing.?? Absolutely. At 58 I decided If I was going to race again I better get to it and I put Golf on the back burner for a few years. My work schedule doesn’t really allow the time needed to have 2 hobbies that demand the amount of time ,focus and practice that’s needed to excel. Now at 62 ,I’m REALLY itching to get back out there. There really isn’t any feeling like puring a 185 yard 5 iron inside of 10 feet with the match on the line!!

I know I’ll get shit from most golfers on here, but I was one of the few that never drank on the course ,and waited till after the round to imbibe. Then it was time to play the entire round over again over drinks lol.

Take up the game and at your age,it’s something you can enjoy with your buddies for another 50 years !!

Play

66TR66
3/8/2021 4:08pm
Have a look at the Golfwrx forum, those boy's over there take themselves well to seriously.

I like to scroll through for all the melting prima dona's.
3/8/2021 4:44pm
Like others said, Instruction first - even a few lessons with a golf pro - and read read read. Watch Tiger Woods swing in slow motion.(should still be on YouTube). Pro V1 golf balls. Or Pro V 1X’s. It’s a very mental game. Every shot should be planned.

And practice at the range - a lot. Everybody loves to crush the ball but you make your money 150 yards and in. Golf is one of those games that gets to be way more fun once you know what you’re doing. Good luck and don’t take yourself to seriously at first.
KMC440
3/8/2021 10:29pm
When you go to the range take your time it's not whack-a-mole. Hit your balls where you can see them and start getting an idea of yardages. Consistent yards on each club. Yes the occasional "where did that come from!" shot will pop up but toss that pink elephant number out. Shoes... spikless or with spikes is whatever you're comfortable with. My feet get hot so I have the spiked footjoy sandals I play in most of the summer, they aren't for everyone though so do your thing.
rhargrave431
3/8/2021 11:30pm
Invest in lessons early. Don't develop the bad habits you get without lessons.
Robgvx
3/9/2021 4:05am
Four hours of crushing disappointment, tempered by a few seconds of brilliance.

I still keep going back though!

OldPro277
3/9/2021 7:45am
EZZA 95B wrote:
Do you take drugs?
xrmark wrote:
?
I believe Ezza is referring to how frustrating the game can be at times , lol
DoctorJD
3/9/2021 8:09am Edited Date/Time 3/9/2021 8:10am
EZZA 95B wrote:
Do you take drugs?
xrmark wrote:
?
OldPro277 wrote:
I believe Ezza is referring to how frustrating the game can be at times , lol
No, he is referring to something else.

The next line: Every day.

whyZ
3/9/2021 8:46am
For the years I've been playing, this is what I'd recommend;

Get good shoes, these days they can be worn on and off the course. If you decide golf is not for you, you can still use them.

Clubs: go the local Play It Again Sports Shop, buy used ones. The staff there will help find ones that fit you for a fraction of the price.

Get Lessons, absorb good habits. No truer words ever spoken, it will pay off.

Learn Golf Etiquette! Its as important as holding your line on a track.

No matter what course you play, no matter what hole you're on, if you continually hit 150 yards accurately, you're shooting Par.

OldPro277
3/9/2021 8:50am
DoctorJD wrote:
No, he is referring to something else.

The next line: Every day.

Ohhhh, how stupid lmao--- one of Chevy's most quotable lines from one of the greatest "quotable" movies. Sorry, my bad !!!!
SEEMEFIRST
3/9/2021 4:24pm
Don't worry about the plateau you will most certainly hit. You will most likely improve fairly steadily until you reach the plateau.
You will be pissed trying to get to some elusive number.
It was 80 for me. I started getting pissed off, and it was becoming less fun.

I finally had an epiphany, and said to myself, you know what Karl? You are a 90's player.

Chilled my mind for a while, and got into the 80's.
APLMAN99
3/9/2021 5:18pm
xrmark wrote:
Thanks guys!! I’m sure once I get more into it I’ll get more serious about my clubs and swing and stuff like that. Funny you say...
Once you’ve decided that you are going to stick with it, Callaway has a great feature on their website where they sell pre-owned clubs for some pretty decent prices. Many of them are “custom”, so once you are able to know your optimum length and lie angle, just keep an eye out till the ‘perfect’ configuration shows up.

I know a couple of guys who bought clubs off the Callaway site and they have felt that the condition reported was very honest, perhaps to the point that the clubs were quite a bit better than stated.

https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/

vetmxr
3/9/2021 5:59pm
xrmark wrote:
peelout wrote:
i hate shoes with spikes. some people love spikes but i can't play with them. i usually go for Adidas as they have a great all-around...

Believe it or not I golf in flip flops.......It keeps me from swinging too hard and my ball lies straight....I'm a 12 handicap
SEEMEFIRST
3/9/2021 7:04pm Edited Date/Time 3/9/2021 7:08pm
xrmark wrote:
peelout wrote:

vetmxr wrote:
Believe it or not I golf in flip flops.......It keeps me from swinging too hard and my ball lies straight....I'm a 12 handicap
Might need to try that.
Club up, and chill...

My problem now is, since I don't play as much anymore, is I can hit this 7 160 if I hit it.

It's the damn IF that gets me.
SEEMEFIRST
3/9/2021 7:15pm
A funny thing about golf.
I was friends with the accountant for a pretty nice course, and we got comped, and occasionally got to play a few holes with the pro.

One day the pro says, "grab the 3 clubs you think you need, and no more."

I grabbed a 3 wood, a 7, and the putter.

I played 9 holes as well as I ever did with a whole bag of shit.

Post a reply to: Getting into golf

The Latest