Gave Africa a try

Sunhouse
Edited Date/Time 9/27/2017 9:10pm
I have quite a few destinations left on my bucket list. This time I decided to see some of those from Africa. Cool thing was: the gf finally wanted to join.
It was nice to have her join me for once. Basically I picked two safe countries with some history, and preferably not too many tourists:
- Ghana
- Sao Tomé & Principe.
The latter being the most exotic and the highlight of the trip for sure. It used to be a Portoguese colony until 1975. It is basically a small island nation with two major islands: Sao Tomé (approx 180 000 people), and Principé (3000 people and like taken out of Jurassic Park scenery wise) Sao Tomé is most famous as a slave transit island for both directions, coffee, cocoa, and the mysterious island peak like it is taken out of a pirate movie. (Pic included)
Thought I'd share a few pics for those in need of travel inspiration or interested in traveling in general
I definitely recommend Sao Tomé & Principe to those in need of a relaxing and beautiful destination away from mass tourism! Ghana was nice too, especially the coastline close to Togo. May want to buy a small motorbike and ride the Gold Coast from Lagos - Nigeria to Liberia in the near future. Really friendly people!

|
newmann
9/26/2017 7:20am
Looks like my neighborhood after Harvey.Laughing

My youngest son actually seemed to enjoy some aspects of Liberia. Spreading fresh dirt on the ebola treatment center floors, not so much. The scenery was pretty awesome in places.
TXDirt
9/26/2017 7:30am
Hey honey, you want to go on a vacation?

Sure. Where to?

Detroit!

No thanks.
9/26/2017 8:32am
Very cool images, definitely inspiring me to see more of the world (only been to Ireland, though I'm off to NI next month). I know it's unlikely but I would've constantly had the thought of a Great White rushing me in that 2nd image - one of my nightmares.
brlatm
9/26/2017 11:20am
I spent 3 weeks in Entebbe, Uganda and 36 hours in Accra, Ghana. Uganda was freaking insanely hot! Like Houston in August and this was in March of 98.

I really like the Star beer in Accra, I need to go get some more countries knocked off the list in Africa. I'll pass on about half them though, not my cup of tea.

The Shop

Nighttrain
9/26/2017 5:06pm
You've an impressive group of stamps in your passport, Sunhouse. Thanks for posting the latest.

What is the structure that looks likes the mountain "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"? I'm suddenly hungry for mash potatoes.
oldblood
9/26/2017 6:56pm
Please expound on the guy with the ring, probably would love moto.
Sunhouse
9/27/2017 8:40am
Very cool images, definitely inspiring me to see more of the world (only been to Ireland, though I'm off to NI next month). I know it's...
Very cool images, definitely inspiring me to see more of the world (only been to Ireland, though I'm off to NI next month). I know it's unlikely but I would've constantly had the thought of a Great White rushing me in that 2nd image - one of my nightmares.
Traveling has become very cheap the last 10 years. It's very easy too, find somewhere or something you want to see, buy a ticket and go. Skip fancy hotels and the extra pint at the pub and violà, you can pretty much go anywhere Smile
Sunhouse
9/27/2017 8:42am
brlatm wrote:
I spent 3 weeks in Entebbe, Uganda and 36 hours in Accra, Ghana. Uganda was freaking insanely hot! Like Houston in August and this was in...
I spent 3 weeks in Entebbe, Uganda and 36 hours in Accra, Ghana. Uganda was freaking insanely hot! Like Houston in August and this was in March of 98.

I really like the Star beer in Accra, I need to go get some more countries knocked off the list in Africa. I'll pass on about half them though, not my cup of tea.
Uganda is placed around some really nice countries too, Kenya, Rwanda and south to Tanzania. These are all safe with tons to see and do Smile
Oh, and I agree on the beer - very tasty!
Sunhouse
9/27/2017 8:55am
Nighttrain wrote:
You've an impressive group of stamps in your passport, Sunhouse. Thanks for posting the latest. What is the structure that looks likes the mountain "Close Encounters...
You've an impressive group of stamps in your passport, Sunhouse. Thanks for posting the latest.

What is the structure that looks likes the mountain "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"? I'm suddenly hungry for mash potatoes.
Thanks! Smile
Still have quite a few left. Trying to find some leverage from the gf to allow me to go to Syria for Easter. I found some Russians who can take me to Aleppo, Palmyra, Latakia and touch on Homs. The front has moved substantially the last year so it should be reasonably safe.

It is a mountain which pops out of nowhere. It's called "Pico de Sao tomé" and is roughly 650m tall.

Sunhouse
9/27/2017 9:00am
oldblood wrote:
He was playing on the beach. There is a big river which runs out in the ocean close to the Togolese boarder, and he lived in a village where the eiver ran out into the sea It's an old way to play which we don't really see in the western world anymore, and he was quite good at it. Probably would have prefered a dirt bike though

oldblood
9/27/2017 5:01pm
oldblood wrote:
Sunhouse wrote:
He was playing on the beach. There is a big river which runs out in the ocean close to the Togolese boarder, and he lived in...
He was playing on the beach. There is a big river which runs out in the ocean close to the Togolese boarder, and he lived in a village where the eiver ran out into the sea It's an old way to play which we don't really see in the western world anymore, and he was quite good at it. Probably would have prefered a dirt bike though

He looks pretty smooth and focused. The mxdn teams are lucky a sea container of dirt bikes didn't wash up on his beach a few years ago or they would have their hands full!
oldblood
9/27/2017 5:05pm
Thanks for the pics. Sort of reminds me of Jamaica, although different in many ways I'm sure.
I've always wanted to go to Bali, or Indonesia. Of course Japan and many other cool places.
oldblood
9/27/2017 9:10pm
newmann wrote:
Looks like my neighborhood after Harvey.:laugh: My youngest son actually seemed to enjoy some aspects of Liberia. Spreading fresh dirt on the ebola treatment center floors...
Looks like my neighborhood after Harvey.Laughing

My youngest son actually seemed to enjoy some aspects of Liberia. Spreading fresh dirt on the ebola treatment center floors, not so much. The scenery was pretty awesome in places.
That's cool the volunteer work you've done with your son. I'm inspired to try to do something with my son, at least at a local level if nothing else.
brlatm
9/28/2017 6:30am
oldblood wrote:
Thanks for the pics. Sort of reminds me of Jamaica, although different in many ways I'm sure. I've always wanted to go to Bali, or Indonesia...
Thanks for the pics. Sort of reminds me of Jamaica, although different in many ways I'm sure.
I've always wanted to go to Bali, or Indonesia. Of course Japan and many other cool places.
Indonesia is awesome, I loved it. I personally hated Jamaica but we hate staying at the all-inclusive resorts where you don't get to experience the local culture. Japan is cool, super spendy for everything.

Here is a pic I took in March at Borobodur, Java, Indonesia. No filter.

Post a reply to: Gave Africa a try

The Latest