GTA 5

Related:
Create New Tag

4/12/2018 5:11 AM

Remember this game that came out in 2013? Well, last year it was 6th best selling game still. Overall earnings since it came out is 6 billion dollars. Hollywood with all it`s Avatars have nothing for this game.

|

4/12/2018 6:22 AM

It kinda depends on how you add up your numbers. For now lets exclude any online (in game sales) and just look at units sold.

I used data from Wikipedia. Granted different pages on Wikipedia give different numbers. So I'm not sure how up to date it is but I think it's close enough. GTA 5 has sold 90 million units. I don't know what the average selling price is but lets assume $45 dollars. If you assume $60 average sell price you get close to 6 billion. But I don't think that is the average price. I think it's closer to $45 but who really knows.

90,000,000 x $45 = $4,050,000,000

So about 4 billion dollars. Which is HUGE!! You can adjust the $45 number up or down depending on what you think average selling price is.

The entire GTA franchise has sold about 160 million units. Which if you use the same average selling price of $45 a unit is about 7 billion dollars. Again HUGE!

The only games that rival this would be the Call of Duty Franchise which collectively has sold about 150 million units and generated around 6.75 billion dollars in revenue.

The super mario franchise is also up there. I don't think the average selling price is as high so I won't really calculate a revenue number. But if we combine super mario brothers with mario cart games collectively that franchise has sold about 235 million units.

These are the top units sold across an entire franchise.

Super Mario Franchise
Wii Sports
Tetris
GTA
Call of Duty
Minecraft

I'm surprised the big movie studios haven't tried to gobble up any of these franchises. They are literally printing money. Heck even Microsoft bought Minecraft for 2.5 billion dollars which seems like a steal now.

|

4/12/2018 8:45 AM

Gaming is a big business and it's only getting bigger. Some streamers are making major bank playing games, eSports just keep on growing, etc. You now have "A" list movie stars being paid to play roles in games.

Sony just sold 75 million units of the PS4. The console was released on November 15th 2013.

75 million units x $250 = 18.75 Billion dollars.

Check this out just for comparison

Avatar is currently the highest grossing movie of all times and was released in 2009. To date it has made 2.788 Billion dollars.

Titanic is second on that list and was released back in 1997. To date it has made 2.187 Billion dollars over multiple releases.

Side Note: GTA V is currently the 3rd best selling video game of all times. Only Tetris (170 million copies) and Minecraft (144 million copies) have sold more units.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

4/12/2018 9:00 AM

TXDirt wrote:

It kinda depends on how you add up your numbers. For now lets exclude any online (in game sales) and just look at units sold.
...more

There is a Minecraft movie slated for release in 2019.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

4/12/2018 9:09 AM

Downloadable content keeps gamed relevant for much longer than before. The GTA franchise as a solid platform for downloadable content.

|

4/12/2018 9:33 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/12/2018 9:40 AM

Do you guys think one day many years from now e-sports has a shot to take over for how we view/play live sports? Use football as an example, with them having concussion lawsuits, boycotts, kids not playing, pricing, etc could they do it e-sport style.... or even morph into a e-sport/robotic type deal where the players are controlling robots on a live field?

What started this was Mav mentioning e-sports and during the sx mudder this weekend I thought jokingly if it got to bad they are going to have to have the riders play MES on the Jumbo screen to see who the winner is.....

Nothing will ever take the place of live sporting events for me but the way kids are raised, maybe it will for them?

With the VR head sets now you could sit on your couch and feel like you are at the stadium. I saw a clip where they are already doing this for movies to make it feel like you are watching at the theater......

You said they get paid but will you be paid millions like real athletes just for your controller skills?

Maybe a bigger audience since females would be on a level playing field?

|

"Shifting gears and passing queers" GL

4/12/2018 1:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/12/2018 1:53 PM

GTA5 is easily the most well rounded, massive, and complete videogame ever released. the shear amount of content on original release is mind boggling. throw in the PS4/One versions, PC, and all the online content and it's just stupid how much content there is. i've finished the story 4 times and i've been dabbling online and haven't even scratched the surface of content.

the most impressive thing about Rockstar is that they keep pushing the absolute limits with each game released. RDR2 is going to be massive.

and yes, the videogame industry has surpassed Hollywood, both in sales as well as quality of product. it seems like every movie is either a re-hash of an older film or a sequel/prequel of some sort. very little originality and passion in movie making these days. Videogames however have a whole different way of telling a unique and intriguing story.

pretty fascinating stuff really. it's a huge industry.

|

4/14/2018 8:43 AM

Modders/hackers getting banned and having to buy another copy of the game. Every time they have a ban wave on PC they drop the price to half off the week of.

|

4/15/2018 5:36 AM

peelout wrote:

GTA5 is easily the most well rounded, massive, and complete videogame ever released. the shear amount of content on original ...more

Man, I can’t wait to tie some people up and put them on the train tracks.

The first one was absolutely great and a work of art. They’ll definitely top it; there’s no way they can’t!

I hope they don’t oversaturate the game with some CactusCards or some shit though.

|

If you're not mixing gas, you're not haulin ass.

4/15/2018 6:30 AM

I just watched a clip of it on youtube to see whats different from when it first came out . I'm still laughing at some of the stuff they were doing with that rope gun thing . Like stringing random people behind a moving car and just watching them fly down the road .

|

4/15/2018 10:50 AM

MR. X wrote:

I just watched a clip of it on youtube to see whats different from when it first came out . I'm still laughing at some of the ...more

I think that’s the Just Cause series, not GTA unless it was a mod

|

4/15/2018 2:38 PM

The last Rockstar games I play was Vice City and RDR. Great games but they seem to get too repetitive and stuck on side missions. I never finished either. I'm not much of a gamer so I'm sure I'm not getting the full intended experience. I do remember staying up until 2-3 AM with those games and having to be at work at 7.

|

No Signature.

4/15/2018 3:07 PM

^^^ I think every gamer has been there. I'll just play another half hour....3 hours later, I guess I should go to bed I need to be up for work in like 4 hours.

|

4/15/2018 3:51 PM

Lost a lot of good brain cells playing GTA on playstation 2

|

4/15/2018 4:00 PM

MR. X wrote:

Lol Grove Street 4 Life!

Been playing GTA since the overhead one in London on PS1. Bought 5 for PS3 and completed it because I think originally it wasn't supposed to come out for the PS4.

To no surprised it did and didn't bother buying it again. Looking foward to GTA 6 on PS5?

|

4/15/2018 4:19 PM

MR. X wrote:

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Lol Grove Street 4 Life!

Been playing GTA since the overhead one in London on PS1. Bought 5 for PS3 and completed it because ...more

Before that ,it was gran turismo .

|

4/15/2018 9:44 PM

MR. X wrote:

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Lol Grove Street 4 Life!

Been playing GTA since the overhead one in London on PS1. Bought 5 for PS3 and completed it because ...more

MR. X wrote:

Before that ,it was gran turismo .

For car games in the PS2 days, for me it was all about Need For Speed Underground. Customising tuners, spinners, big sound systems, vinyl graphics, colored tinted windows and neon light kits lol. Many sleepless night spent playing that with my brother and friends.

Played the crap out of Gran Turismo 5 on the PS3 though. Haven't played another Gran Turismo since then. Might get back into it when the PS5 is released. Battlefield Bad Company 2 took a lot of my time as well. Can't remember how many hours I spent on there but I know it was a ton.

On the PS4 I spent a lot of time with Battlefield 4 and not all that much on Battlefield 1. Right now it's Far Cry 5. Waiting on Battlefield 5 and Read Dead Redemption 2. There's other games but those 2 will see a lot of time.

Still remember eating a shit load of stuff in GTA to get CJ as fat as he could possibly go and then getting his ass to the gym to bust out a workout lol. Good times.

I hope GTA 6 is based on 1 character only instead of 3. I think it makes for a better story. The protagonist might be a female too. I don't see it being released for this generation of consoles.

Also hoping to see a Mafia 4. Mafia 2 was awesome and 3 was basically a GTA knock off in my opinion.

|

4/16/2018 10:15 AM

Hey you gamers, help a brother out..

I’m laid up due to injury, going to be for a long time. My last console was an Xbox360, it quit working about 5 or 6 years ago. I never bothered to replace it was I rarely used if anyways.

I’m ready to buy a new console and a handful of games, whst would you guys suggest? I’m completely out of the loop. I need something besides Netflix to help the time pass by while I’m gimped up.

Thanks!

|

4/16/2018 10:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/16/2018 10:40 AM

MR. X wrote:

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Lol Grove Street 4 Life!

i had GTA5 on 360 and beat it a couple times. it came out for PS4 and One and i bought it again and have done complete play-throughs a couple times. i will say that the current gen purchase was worth it to me, love the first person camera mode. totally different perspective on the game.

and i loved the original GTA/GTA London, and GTA2 was great too. i loved mowing down the monks in one swipe, lol. and the rampages were awesome.

|

4/16/2018 10:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/16/2018 10:45 AM

nytsmaC wrote:

I’m laid up due to injury, going to be for a long time. My last console was an Xbox360, ...more

I'm sure Maverick will have plenty of recommendations. But I'll throw mine in as well.

A big part of the equation is your budget. If you're not looking to spend $400-500, then I'd suggest getting either a regular PS4 or an Xbox One, and I'd recommend the PS4 over the Xbox One. If you are willing to spend more, though, then you open yourself up to the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One X. Again, I'd probably recommend the PS4 Pro. I have both and enjoy both, but I think Sony's library of games is better at this point in time.

Now for games. Here's what I would suggest (in the parenthesis is the console(s) it's available on):

- Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
- The Last of Us Remastered (PS4)
- GTA V (Both)
- Monster Energy Supercross: The Official Video Game (Both)
- Far Cry 5 (Both)
- Fallout 4 (Both)
- Halo: Master Chief Collection (Xbox One)

If you're really into shooters, you could also go for Call of Duty: WW2 or Battlefield 1. Ghost Recon: Wildlands isn't bad, either.

|

Contact Me

Instagram (@gdawson243)

Snapchat: gdawson2

4/16/2018 10:47 AM

Awesome, thanks. Back in the day I was on the Xbox train but I think PS4 has it covered, probably did then too. I’m going to go pick one up today. Is there any point in physically buying the games, or better to just download them?

Any accessories I should be looking at grabbing besides an extra controller?

|

4/16/2018 11:08 AM

nytsmaC wrote:

Awesome, thanks. Back in the day I was on the Xbox train but I think PS4 has it covered, probably did then too. I’m going to ...more

Just if you want to trade them in or sell them back ,it helps to have to hard copy.

|

4/16/2018 12:28 PM

nytsmaC wrote:

I’m laid up due to injury, going to be for a long time. My last console was an Xbox360, ...more

I went from 360 to ps4. I like everything about the play station. Gta online is something easy to get into, can play for a year and not nearly do everything.

|

4/16/2018 1:54 PM

nytsmaC wrote:

Awesome, thanks. Back in the day I was on the Xbox train but I think PS4 has it covered, probably did then too. I’m going to ...more

Charging cords are a definite, and a microphone if you play online or with others.

I would order a 4 pack of micro usb cords off Amazon. They always get bent out of shape or stop working if you play with them charging.

If the analogs ever wear out or the triggers get soft, you can purchase replacements on Amazon for dirt cheap as well.

|