G$% D@#^ F%$*!@# GOPHER!

borg
5/24/2022 3:23pm Edited Date/Time 7/1/2022 3:08pm
Destroying our garden. Cant get the sonofabitch. I'm desperate now. Need some help on this one. Tried 2 kinds of traps as well as poison.
|
Joey_Bridges
5/24/2022 3:29pm
Works for the squirrels around here.
Especially the young ones.

Sully
5/24/2022 4:35pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Carl has a few tips... :lol:
Carl has a few tips... Grinning

"But Sir, if I kill all the golfers, they'll lock me up and throw away the key..."

The Shop

SEEMEFIRST
5/24/2022 4:47pm
Get a Jack Russell Terrier.
Them sumbitches hate gophers.
LoudLove
5/24/2022 5:09pm
“They’re like the Vietcong…Varmit-cong…”. Always cracked me up.
Chance1216
5/24/2022 5:17pm
These should help you Borg. They’re on Amazon.

dkurtd
5/24/2022 5:27pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2022 5:27pm
Castor oil. And not your 2 stroke castor oil either. You can also use Cayenne Pepper powder, it will keep most animals out of your garden as well.
Yeti831
5/24/2022 5:32pm
Chance1216 wrote:
These should help you Borg. They’re on Amazon. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/05/24/552014/s1200_F10C5F61_4F26_45CE_B2FA_C26A0DCE4E02.jpg[/img]

These all day.

Parents we’re having the same problem. Snatched 8 them and we stopped seeing mounds.
reded301
5/24/2022 5:55pm
That mfer’d be dead by morning if my cat were anywhere in your vicinity.
lestat
5/24/2022 6:02pm
reded301 wrote:
That mfer’d be dead by morning if my cat were anywhere in your vicinity.
My mom has a fourth generation badass patrolling her massive garden 👍🤣
borg
5/24/2022 6:29pm
Chance1216 wrote:
These should help you Borg. They’re on Amazon. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/05/24/552014/s1200_F10C5F61_4F26_45CE_B2FA_C26A0DCE4E02.jpg[/img]

Yeti831 wrote:
These all day.

Parents we’re having the same problem. Snatched 8 them and we stopped seeing mounds.
We've used both of those plus the black box trap and poison. No go for this dude. We set em and he covers em with dirt. By now he's wised up to our game. Gophers are like rats, they can be pretty smart. I need something different.
We have a unique problem. Our garden is 2 feet wide and 100 feet long in between asphalt parking lots. This little prick goes back under the asphalt and we cant get to him. This morning he yanked down a 1 foot pepper plant. Gone. He was popping up and eating the corn sprouts. He would eat them all down to the ground like he was mowing his fucking lawn.
SEEMEFIRST
5/24/2022 6:46pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2022 6:48pm
Could you pulse feed an electric current like from a cow fence?

It would probably screw the earthworms up though.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
927th
5/24/2022 7:23pm
Chance1216 wrote:

Yeti831 wrote:
These all day.

borg wrote:
We've used both of those plus the black box trap and poison. No go for this dude. We set em and he covers em with dirt...
We've used both of those plus the black box trap and poison. No go for this dude. We set em and he covers em with dirt. By now he's wised up to our game. Gophers are like rats, they can be pretty smart. I need something different.
We have a unique problem. Our garden is 2 feet wide and 100 feet long in between asphalt parking lots. This little prick goes back under the asphalt and we cant get to him. This morning he yanked down a 1 foot pepper plant. Gone. He was popping up and eating the corn sprouts. He would eat them all down to the ground like he was mowing his fucking lawn.
You have to set those early, like 5-6 in the morning.
You'll see the fresh dirt and using a small hand shovel,
Remove just enough dirt that you can get the trap about 12 inches in the hole. Be sure to tie wire or something to the trap that you can anchor it outside the hole. Partially cover the hole leaving some open. Little bastard will feel the draft and eventually (usually within the hour) come back to reseal the opening and you got yourself a gopher.
Thank me later Wink
TM
borg
5/24/2022 7:37pm
Yeti831 wrote:
These all day.

borg wrote:
We've used both of those plus the black box trap and poison. No go for this dude. We set em and he covers em with dirt...
ToolMaker wrote:
You have to set those early, like 5-6 in the morning. You'll see the fresh dirt and using a small hand shovel, Remove just enough dirt...
Remove just enough dirt that you can get the trap about 12 inches in the hole. Be sure to tie wire or something to the trap that you can anchor it outside the hole. Partially cover the hole leaving some open. Little bastard will feel the draft and eventually (usually within the hour) come back to reseal the opening and you got yourself a gopher.
Thank me later Wink
TM
No. We have set traps 15 or 20 times, every which way. He kicks dirt on them and never returns to that spot.
He's wise to the traps now. Gotta be something different. My partner in this garden is a seasoned gopher killer and he is stumped.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
927th
5/24/2022 7:55pm
borg wrote:
ToolMaker wrote:
You have to set those early, like 5-6 in the morning. You'll see the fresh dirt and using a small hand shovel, Remove just enough dirt...
Thank me later Wink
TM
borg wrote:
No. We have set traps 15 or 20 times, every which way. He kicks dirt on them and never returns to that spot. He's wise to...
No. We have set traps 15 or 20 times, every which way. He kicks dirt on them and never returns to that spot.
He's wise to the traps now. Gotta be something different. My partner in this garden is a seasoned gopher killer and he is stumped.
Have you set them at 5 in the morning? Right after their work day?
borg
5/24/2022 8:05pm
ToolMaker wrote:
Thank me later Wink
TM
borg wrote:
No. We have set traps 15 or 20 times, every which way. He kicks dirt on them and never returns to that spot. He's wise to...
ToolMaker wrote:
Have you set them at 5 in the morning? Right after their work day?
We have set traps at all hours including 5 AM. Gophers are active day and night. They feed when they are hungry. There is no day and night to them until they get close to an open hole. Traps work because they see the light and investigate.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
927th
5/24/2022 8:11pm
Well, my gopher kills are triple digits. 90% of those are early morning.
TM
borg
5/25/2022 6:08am
Going to try CO poisoning either today or tomorrow.
On the gopher that is.
JAFO92
5/25/2022 7:17am
The only good thing about having black land (instead of sand) is no gophers. I have friends who have sandy soil and those fuckin' gophers wreak havoc on everything.
Fantasy
4342nd
5/25/2022 8:57am
My little brother and I would catch gophers and field mice on the farm using this method dad taught us.
Just need a gallon milk jug full of water.

charlie68
5/25/2022 9:48am
I personally like gasoline, pour down hole or make your own in the tunnel, pour a generous amount of gas into the tunnel, cover, let the fumes work the way thru tunnels, crack a beer and light the gas on fire, fumes or fire get them. This case may be a little tricky between parking lots.....
Boomslang
Fantasy
657th
5/25/2022 10:39am Edited Date/Time 5/25/2022 11:08am
borg wrote:
Destroying our garden. Cant get the sonofabitch. I'm desperate now. Need some help on this one. Tried 2 kinds of traps as well as poison.
I use chlorine and brake fluid.

Open the Gopher hole up, pour a generous helping of chlorine (HTH) in the hole and then pour a tot of brake fluid onto the chlorine. Then cover again. The chemical reaction between the two components with send a lethal dose of smoke throughout the tunnel system.

The Gopher will hit the eject button quickly, so be ready to bag the bastard as he breaks surface.
Log Hopper
Fantasy
1549th
5/25/2022 11:07am
I made a snare out of a metal fishing leader once and placed it over the hole to get a chipmunk. Not a confirmed kill as there was no body but my snare was gone and the little bastard didn't wake me up at 5 am anymore.
SEE ARE125
5/25/2022 11:36am
Piss in the hole. My neighbor and I had a similar problem, he had the bright idea to piss in the hole thinking maybe it’d smell like a predator. Sure enough, it fucking worked.
borg
5/25/2022 12:00pm
borg wrote:
Boomslang wrote:
I use chlorine and brake fluid. Open the Gopher hole up, pour a generous helping of chlorine (HTH) in the hole and then pour a tot...

Open the Gopher hole up, pour a generous helping of chlorine (HTH) in the hole and then pour a tot of brake fluid onto the chlorine. Then cover again. The chemical reaction between the two components with send a lethal dose of smoke throughout the tunnel system.

The Gopher will hit the eject button quickly, so be ready to bag the bastard as he breaks surface.
Now we're talking.
lestat
5/25/2022 12:10pm
borg wrote:
Boomslang wrote:
I use chlorine and brake fluid. Open the Gopher hole up, pour a generous helping of chlorine (HTH) in the hole and then pour a tot...

borg wrote:
Now we're talking.
This is getting good …. 🍿
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
5/25/2022 12:22pm
Do you like kitties? Our yard was littered with gophers when we moved in years ago. Our cat would bring us at least one gopher, mouse, squirrels dally for 5-6 months. One week her kill number was 16! She brings them up to the house to show off. Eventually those bastards figured it out and moved away
ToolMaker
Fantasy
927th
5/25/2022 12:59pm
308 wrote:
My little brother and I would catch gophers and field mice on the farm using this method dad taught us. Just need a gallon milk jug...
My little brother and I would catch gophers and field mice on the farm using this method dad taught us.
Just need a gallon milk jug full of water.

On my property you can put a garden hose in for half an hour and never see the water coming out anywhere.
These little guys can go half a mile and have a pretty good network of underground freeways. That might work in a little yard where they are contained, but out in the open, not so much. Also, after, it seems to help burying the dead gopher in the hole. I think the next round of gophers that move in the network don't like the smell of death and stay away.
TM
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1084th
5/26/2022 10:26pm
Growing up we had a three foot long flexible metal hose that would thread onto the exhaust port of the lawnmower. Shove the hose into the gopher hole, fire up the mower and wait 15 minutes. Sometimes they would go running out of another hole and the dog had a quick snack. Sometimes they would die underground. After a year or so another gopher family would show up and we'd gas them out too.

Post a reply to: G$% D@#^ F%$*!@# GOPHER!

The Latest