Full Size SUVs

Related:
Create New Tag

9/3/2019 6:23 AM

I'll be looking to replace my current full size SUV (Lincoln Navigator) in the next six months and I'm interested in the experience and recommendations of the board.
I've owned Jeep Grand Cherokees before and had positive experiences with them but I don't really want to trade back down in size.

Any positives/negatives on specific models from you experiences?

|

9/3/2019 6:56 AM

I know it’s a little smaller than you Navigator but we had a Audi Q7 for a few years and loved it. Bought it with 25K miles on it and saved a bundle.

Last Fall we rented a monster suburban for a vacation with the grandkids and it was pretty impressive. Loved the size for what we were doing but not so sure if I’d enjoy something that large for a daily driver.

Keep us posted on what you find.

|

9/3/2019 7:11 AM

KennyT wrote:

I know it’s a little smaller than you Navigator but we had a Audi Q7 for a few years and loved it. Bought it with 25K miles on ...more

The Suburban is the same size as a full size truck and has been an under appreciated quiet workhorse of a vehicle for a long long time. Today's models drive great and have luxury available if that's what you are going for. I grew up riding in one and own one today for my family, love the suburban. I do however have a small car as a daily driver.

|

9/3/2019 7:28 AM

Got my wife a Yukon Denali, what a POS that thing was. 2 harmonic balancers, starter, rebuilt transmission(going from 2nd to 3rd it wouldn’t grab 3rd unless you completely let off the throttle), oil lines going to the oil cooler leaking and needing replaced, broken motor mounts, brake sensor switch went out which caused the cruise control to stop working, all that happened under 100k miles. Luckily the transmission was covered by 100k powertrain warranty, but the rest was out of pocket. Oh and around 103k one wheel corroded around the valve stem causing it to leak, but it was an easy fix with some bead sealer. I found that odd because rust/corrosion isn’t a big issue here like it is up north. She only drove it like 7 miles to work and 7 miles back, then we would use it on the weekends to haul the family around, so it wasn’t abused. Our vehicles are maintained with an open wallet, so it wasn’t lack of maintenance either. I’m convinced it was just a pile of shit.

If we were to go back to a full size, I’m not sure what we would get. The Sequoias are reliable, but they look kind of dated and I’m sure fuel mileage is shit because I own a Tundra. Armadas look better and are also reliable, but I’m guessing their fuel mileage is shitty also. So I would probably take a hard look at an Expedition if it were me, but I definitely won’t own another GM product.

|

9/3/2019 8:01 AM

I have had 2 1/2 ton suburbans and a 3/4 ton. Loved them all. Had only replaced the alternator twice in one. The half tons actually rode and towed amazing but the 3/4 ton wasnt great at it for some odd reason and geared so wrong for it. I was disappointed that the interior stayed the exact same for decades. They all recieved great trade in value. The new models are amazing and thinking about adding one again to the lineup. I absolutely love my 15 diesel silverado so much I am afraid a new one might disappoint me because a lot has changed the last few years.

|

I don't have to be as smart as you hope to be some day anymore. wink

9/3/2019 8:06 AM

My wife and I are looking at full size SUVs as well. We have a 2016 Chevy Traverse currently. it’s been a pretty solid vehicle for the most part. She’s been considering down sizing to a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I know she won’t be happy with down sizing though because she likes having the space. I’m not sure we want to go to a full size suburban so possibly the Tahoe route. It’s a tough decision as there are lots of great options out there. The hard part is finding time to check all of them out.

|

9/3/2019 8:16 AM

We have a 2010 Tahoe. Drives like a car, so smooth! Plenty of room for all the kids stuff and can still tow the enclosed trailer or boat or whatever.

|

9/3/2019 9:54 AM

Id check out the hyundai palisade. Things so nice inside. Hyundai has a promo pays u 50 bucks to go test drive any hyundai.i checked out the palisade just for the 50 bucks lol

|

9/3/2019 4:49 PM

I know this isn’t a full size but my wife has a forrestor. And those things are hella roomy inside. Enough to fit baby in backseat and two dogs in the hatch comfortably....

Not sure how big ya wanna go. Apples to oranges here I guess but for a small family and a dog forrestor delivers.

|

GP740
Since 1987

9/3/2019 5:53 PM

Full size? Gotta go with this, V10, and your not getting into the main st. parking spot with it.
Photo

|

I was G before the "moto drive" to Vital

9/3/2019 8:00 PM

Nissan Armada ( Patrol ) y62 large car goes incredible 5.6V8 400Bhpd plenty of room and handles like it’s on rails. It’s AWD Not 4WD but handles anything I throw at mine soft sand, snow rough hills on dirt or mud goes anywhere smile fuel economy is great for 3t car and 5 seconds 0 to 100km. had mine 2 years have not found anything to fault on it. I tow a toy hauler with all the bikes and wouldn’t even know it was there smile

|

9/4/2019 11:35 AM

yz133rider wrote:

Id check out the hyundai palisade. Things so nice inside. Hyundai has a promo pays u 50 bucks to go test drive any hyundai.i ...more

Damn we were actually looking at these online. They seem to be a nice SUV with 3rd row. And a lot cheaper than the Traverse/Explorer/Durango options.

|

9/4/2019 3:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/4/2019 3:22 PM

My wife had a 2016 GMC Yukon SLT, great rig. The only negative to it is the 3rd row seating is very small and the flat floor slopes down towards the rear hatch. I could see how that is potentially a problem but it never was for us. We liked it so much that we traded it in on a 2019 Tahoe Premier RST with the 6.2, basically same thing, a little fancier with the bigger 6.2 engine. Both get excellent fuel mileage for a vehicle of this size, low 20's on the highway and mid teens in the city.

We flew to Vegas a few years ago and rented a Ford Expedition, and spent about 4 days in it road tripping the south west. Nothing wrong with it but the Yukon/Tahoe beats it in every way that we could detect. That being said the new redesigned Expedition/Navigator probably one-up's the Tahoe/Yukon, but we still prefer the styling of the GM and I'll never buy an Ecoboost when I can get a V8 instead.

|

9/4/2019 10:06 PM

yz133rider wrote:

Id check out the hyundai palisade. Things so nice inside. Hyundai has a promo pays u 50 bucks to go test drive any hyundai.i ...more

agn5009 wrote:

Damn we were actually looking at these online. They seem to be a nice SUV with 3rd row. And a lot cheaper than the ...more

We bought the telluride a few months back and absolutely love it. Same as palisade as far as I know, except for trim, etc. I’d highly recommend looking at either, small but plenty of room and up to 8 seats.

|

Motocross - Not for the fat, mean, or no-footed

9/5/2019 7:13 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/5/2019 7:13 AM

I've had Toyota 4runners, a V10 ford Excursion and a 3/4 ton Suburban with a 8.1 liter gasser. The Burban and the 4runners required little more than regular maintenance but my V10 Excursion was a nightmare, fucker spit spark plugs out of the head like chewing tobacco. Iirc they quit making Excursions before this problem was addressed so I personally would not recommend one. If you're only hauling small trailers with bikes I would get a new 4runner if you need some serious towing capacity I would look into 3/4 ton Suburbans/Yukons on the used market(maybe not with the 8.1 though because that thing was a HOG!).

|

9/5/2019 7:27 AM

yz133rider wrote:

agn5009 wrote:

Damn we were actually looking at these online. They seem to be a nice SUV with 3rd row. And a lot cheaper than the ...more

Agree, we're on our 4th Sante Fe and love them. You get a lot for your money and bumper to bumper 60 month 60k warranty altough we've never had an issue. I have to believe the Palisades would be the same equality.

In the spirit of full disclosure we should only be on our 3rd Sante Fe but I totalled our 2017. My bad.

|

My wife calls you guys the Yahoos.

9/5/2019 8:35 AM

Between my Wife and I we've had an Expedition, Tahoe, Yukon, QX56 and Q7. By far the worst was the Q7, what a turd. Ours was a 2015 though, so maybe they did better with the new version. We got rid of it and got back into a Yukon and couldn't be happier.

|

9/5/2019 3:50 PM

Here’s my ride.... you hauler behind. Photo

Test drive one you will not regret it smile if cash is no option get the Infiniti QX80 same base car more luxury smile

|

9/5/2019 3:51 PM

GrapeApe wrote:

Between my Wife and I we've had an Expedition, Tahoe, Yukon, QX56 and Q7. By far the worst was the Q7, what a turd. Ours was a ...more

Never heard to much good about the Q7 what was the QX56 like?

|

9/5/2019 7:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/5/2019 7:30 PM

Nevermind grape ape just googled it is now the QX80 so same as the Armarda and patrol. Did you like it?

|

9/6/2019 1:16 AM

I forgot about the Subaru ascent. They’re nice. Just a supersized version of he forrestor.

|

GP740
Since 1987

9/6/2019 5:36 AM

2017+ 4WD Nissan Armada.

Best vehicle I have ever owned. Drives great, it's smooth and never seems to leave a feeling of vagueness. Brakes well and has really nice acceleration for such a heavy SUV. Tows as well, if not better, than any standard 1/2 ton pickup I have ever owned. Traction control is second to none and the transmission shifts are spot-on. The longer we own this vehicle, the more I like it. We test drove all of the comparable models (including several different Jeep models) and it was hands down the best all around.

We went with the SV model and saved a tone of money, because I didn't feel like the huge costs increases for the SL or Platinum were worth it. Bought a nice set of wheels and tires, tinted the windows, added some running lights, etc. and still came out money ahead.

Go test drive one, you won't regret it.

|

9/6/2019 10:49 AM

Signed up for the $50, driving the Palisade on Monday.

|

9/6/2019 11:17 AM

Deja New wrote:

Nevermind grape ape just googled it is now the QX80 so same as the Armarda and patrol. Did you like it?

Sorry just caught this. Yes the old QX56 was solid. My only complaint was the handling was loose and wallowey, but that didn't bother my wife. I've not driven the QX80 but based on mxtech1's post above maybe they fixed the vagueness.

|

9/6/2019 12:25 PM

My wife drives a QX56 Infiniti, bought it fairly cheap at dealer auction with 120k miles. Figured for the price it was worth taking a chance. I have owned M35, I30, and Q45 Infiniti cars in the past and loved them all.

That was 2 years ago, now over 150k miles and not a single issue, love the smooth ride and lots of room.

My brother in law has the QX80 (same as QX56 just newest model). He bought his new was almost $80k, looks and drives pretty much the same as ours (but I paid about $65k less for ours).

|

9/6/2019 1:06 PM

GrapeApe wrote:

Between my Wife and I we've had an Expedition, Tahoe, Yukon, QX56 and Q7. By far the worst was the Q7, what a turd. Ours was a ...more

It’s funny how certain cars entertain certain people and others they get referred to as “turds” 😂
What didn’t you like...just curious. We had one with a 3.0 and it hauled ass, probably the fastest truck/SUV we’ve ever owned. Handled amazing too. Could set suspension to lower for backroads driving and raised it for off-road/snow. Had ours for 3 years and did nothing but oil changes so the reliability was great. Now if you were using it for towing I have no idea, probably too lightweight for that. I’ve never towed anything with a SUV since we had a Expedition and our little boat was throwing it around the road like it was a toy. Only tow with my work trucks.

Now if we were describing cars as “turds” as you say I would have put our old Tahoe in there. Slow as shit.

And funny how so many people love 4runners and to me those are junk. I guess it’s why we have 100 different SUV’s to choose from....can’t please everyone. If I had unlimited funds and wanted a big SUV I think I’d opt for the Suburban

|

9/6/2019 1:29 PM

mxtech1 wrote:

2017+ 4WD Nissan Armada.

Best vehicle I have ever owned. Drives great, it's smooth and never seems to leave a feeling of ...more

Any pics of your armada? My wife has a badass 2015 xterra pro-4x but loves armadas and tells me weekly she wants the bigger brother

|

9/6/2019 2:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/6/2019 2:33 PM

GrapeApe wrote:

KennyT wrote:

It’s funny how certain cars entertain certain people and others they get referred to as “turds”
What didn’t you like...just ...more

Man, where to start. We went through brakes about every 17,000 miles, and tires at about the same rate. The dealer wanted $2,000 per brake job (pads and rotors, the rotors cannot be machined), but luckily we found a good Audi hop-up/race shop that would do it for cheaper. Between brakes, tires and shitty gas mileage, it was an expensive car to drive. The new generation went on a massive diet which apparently helped. What year is yours?

We had 2 separate tire pressure sensors fail, the A/C went out, and the check engine light went off every couple of months for about 16 months. Each time they would find some little problem that needed to be fixed. A lot of issues with emissions control, electrical, etc. Just dumb little things that were covered under warranty, but it was a 40 minute drive to the dealer so it was a massive pain in the ass. We were probably at the dealership 7-8 times in a 16 month period.

We timed it so we were a few thousand miles from needing our third brake job and traded it in on a Yukon. The trade-in/resale value was disappointing, but we were just relieved to be done with that thing.

It did handle well for a heavy SUV, though. We had an A4 and S6 prior to kids and the Q7 had that distinct Audi "feel".

|

9/6/2019 6:17 PM

Deja New wrote:

GrapeApe wrote:

Sorry just caught this. Yes the old QX56 was solid. My only complaint was the handling was loose and wallowey, but that didn't ...more

Yes I have the Nissan of the QX80 and it is incredible in corners. I leant it to a mate and he said he could not believe it was a full sized car that went through corners like it was on rails smile

|

9/6/2019 8:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/6/2019 8:51 PM

GrapeApe wrote:

KennyT wrote:

It’s funny how certain cars entertain certain people and others they get referred to as “turds”
What didn’t you like...just ...more

GrapeApe wrote:

Man, where to start. We went through brakes about every 17,000 miles, and tires at about the same rate. The dealer wanted ...more

My god...I’m surprised you didn’t come up with a worse name than “turd”! I would have been extremely upset to run into those kind of issues.

We had a 2016 that I bought with a little over 20K miles. Saw it had already had the brakes done on the car fax report. It was a certified car. Drove it for around 2 1/2 years and had no issues. Only put on about another 20K during that time so it may have been ready for brakes but I wasn’t aware of it when we traded it in. I liked it a lot but I really didn’t use it for anymore than me n my wife pleasure driving and hauling the grandkids on occasion. We just got rid of it but it wasn’t because I didn’t like it, I’m getting up in age and love trying different cars before it’s time to hand to my drivers license over to the kids 😂
Actually traded it in for a 2015 A6 as we rarely used the extra seating and I wanted to try the sedan.

Sorry to hear you had all those issues ....I would have been livid. No excuse for a manufacturer like Audi to produce a lemon/piece of shit like that.

I’m a real car nut and try something different every 1-3 years and it always interest me to hear others experiences. To keep from going to the poor house I tend to buy slightly used so I don’t lose too much $$ from my car sickness.

|